Skip to content

Clueless

Comments

• Ahh, that explains it. Thank you!

• Iniar said:

Ultrix said:

The only people who can realistically solve this problem is Jeremy & co. because they have access to the retention data. If they haven't decided to reduce the costs of transing yet, there must be good reasons or they continue to deliberate these things. Besides, even PhDs can't fix an economy.

The reason why economies are difficult to manage IRL is because of A) the scale, B) the politics involved, and C) the difficulty of obtaining information. Almost all of this is alleviated in a set game environment. 

I mean, we get that the admins aren't economics majors. That's fine. But there does need to be some level of effort towards accomplishing it, one which we're not really seeing.
  • Jules said:

Then again, some people do have an amazingly stubborn attitude that they don't ever want to spend any money on the game (even if they could), which is weird, but happens more than I would have expected.  

This attitude never fails to bother me.

These people will rack up 3+ months of time-played doing nothing but bashing for credits for artifacts because they're not willing to spend money because "If I don't spend money I don't have an investment in the game and I can quit if I want to".

I have no idea how these people come to value their time so little.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Someone let me know how new Infirmity is working out?
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Can't you ask for permissions to get into beta? It's strong. Don't worry.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • During the newbie tutorial there were a lot of opportunities to gain quest experience. Now that I'm out I seem to find very little (or harder to determine) quest objectives.

Giving locusts to the butcher doesn't seem to give quest xp.

Any hunting areas around level 70 have turn in quests? Other ideas welcome as well
  • I think Baneward Catacombs gives out quest xp via Minimus. Best bet is to ask your city mates/guild mates. They usually have at least one person who is a bashing nerd who can give out good info. 
  • God I love the clueless thread. First off, I think it's awesome every question I've had and posted has been answered. Awesome community, thanks everyone.

Question: I'm getting to the point where I can hunt in areas that are challenging for me. This means I have to leave rooms and come back, avoid rooms with lots of monsters, or use bulwark. I haven't yet (I plan to) added xp gain and used the time spent to find exact numbers but wanted to ask here first

Do you guys find that it is faster to level by hunting in areas that don't represent a huge challenge and can be done very quickly or to use a little more skill and hunt larger xp monsters? Obviously this is going to be wildly different based on the person, and I'm not asking for numbers crunched or absolutes. More looking to have some experienced hunters give their opinion based on their preferences. I have more fun hunting areas that I have to be extremely careful in, but at the same time I do want to level quickly.

• Claudius said:

God I love the clueless thread. First off, I think it's awesome every question I've had and posted has been answered. Awesome community, thanks everyone.

Question: I'm getting to the point where I can hunt in areas that are challenging for me. This means I have to leave rooms and come back, avoid rooms with lots of monsters, or use bulwark. I haven't yet (I plan to) added xp gain and used the time spent to find exact numbers but wanted to ask here first

Do you guys find that it is faster to level by hunting in areas that don't represent a huge challenge and can be done very quickly or to use a little more skill and hunt larger xp monsters? Obviously this is going to be wildly different based on the person, and I'm not asking for numbers crunched or absolutes. More looking to have some experienced hunters give their opinion based on their preferences. I have more fun hunting areas that I have to be extremely careful in, but at the same time I do want to level quickly.

Me personally, I prefer to go with slightly easier but faster routes. Time is money(or XP in this case).  The faster you clear with less downtime, the  more xp you can get for your effort.Running in and out is more room for error and more likelihood to be punished with lost time via death.  Lag also can make it difficult to judge sometimes. 
  • edited February 2015

Turn on CONFIG SHOWXP and then calculate for yourself which areas give you the best exp/time ratio. 

Generally speaking, I find that at the lower levels you're generally better off hunting a bit below your level if that means you kill things faster. Remember, if Thing A takes you 5x longer to kill than Thing B does, Thing A needs to give you 5x more experience for it to be worth it.

Another great way to level is to join in PvP. Dying in PvP will not cost you any experience towards your overall level, and kills in PvP can gain you some pretty fantastic amounts of experience. PvP experience is divided amongst all the members of the ring who are in the room at the time of the kill, too, so you don't even have to get the kill yourself. Also, it's way more fun than bashing. PvP during caravans and shardfalls is retaliation-free, too; if you fight people during a shardfall, they cannot get revenge for it after the shardfall is over.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    Thing A probably needs to give more than 5x experience - you have to account for time spent dead, additional sips/toadstool consumed, etc.
  • Alright, who remembers the new syntax put in to transfer pets between cities of opposed circles, in exchange for gold?
  • KENNEL/STABLE TRANSFER <pet>. It's in the HELP TAMING file.
  • This is a two parter.

1.  You can gain a max of only 1 overall level at a given time, I understand that.  But, if I'm at level 1 and 99% and then gain enough to level multiple times in one go, will I end up a level 2 and 0% or level 2 and 99%?
    2.  There was a bug with Cairns yesterday that when it was razed someone actually lost experience. Has that been resolved? I've been hesitating on razing my cairns because I don't want to lose xp. 
  • Clueless!

Is there a huge difference in which aspect path you decide on? That being said, Do you guys have advice on which aspect is best suited for a Templar? The RP half of my brain wants to select Aryana as it aligns well with my circle on paper. The min max part of my brain wants to theorycraft.
  • If you hate rez skills, go Terror for Inhume, else, go Moradeim for 5 useful skills.
  • I'll admit I really don't get the aspect system , or the associated powers.  Is there a help file beyond:
    - help aspect powers 
    - aspect list perks

?
  • @Claudius

Aryana is fairly lackluster right now. Regen is nice, nothing amazing. Clearsight is useful if you don't have Trailblazing. Nothing special here.

Moradeim's modulation is great for Templars, because you benefit from every single possible stat and so it's always an upgrade. Reincarnation is nice if you don't have a Gem, because it lets you test out various statpacks. Warp is a useful escape ability that has a chance to fail spectacularly on occasion by warping you back to the same room you were trying to escape.

Terror is lackluster now. Fear immunity can be nice if they're trying to stop a channeled instantkill with a fear effect. Terrify gives you a chance to force people/mobiles to leave the room and has situational uses, but it can be replicated by an Intimidate pet. Inhume supresses starburst/redemption style effects on the target for an hour and can be useful. And the beta-edition of Absorb is ridiculously good, a 4 second damage immunity on a 60s timer. This is good enough that Terror might be the new FOTM if enough people switch for it to regularly have 5 monoliths.

If I were you, my personal choices would probably Moradeim, Terror, Aryana, in that order. Modulation is so good for Templars. Str is extra DSL damage, Int is Flare damage, Con/Dex are tanking stats. And getting to dip fast/strong is very nice.Terror has some useful things and Absorb could be hilariously powerful if it regularly has the monoliths for it. Aryana has the regen and basically nothing else going for it aside from moderate utility in Clearsight.

@Bellentine

HELP TERROR POWERS
    HELP CHANGE POWERS
    HELP LIFE POWERS

• I feel stupid, but I don't know where to look.  Is there a cost associated with changing aspect?
  • ASPECT LIST PERKS, the aspect change perk lets you change aspects.

• RaykelRaykel Romania
    Sorry if I'm being stupid for asking this, but does your cult/sect need to be at 100% belief to be able to construct a shrine? The help file says that it consumes 75% belief in the process. The cult belief is at 83% but it says the cult has not accumulated enough belief to do that.
  • Shrines were recently changed and the help file needs to be updated. Shrines cost a base 30% belief at 3 rooms away, and 100% at 15 rooms away. You only need to have enough belief to raise the shrine (ex: 31% belief for a 30% belief shrine), and if using 100%, you will only be reverted to a cult if you still have 0% belief at the change of month.
  • Can multiple instills on different herbs stack, or can only one instill exist at a time on a target? It doesn't show up on diag, and asking is easier than testing myself at the moment :3

Example: Bob has recklessness, impatience, asthma, hemotoxin, and he isn't healing. I instill impatience and then instill asthma. What happen?
  • Only one instill at a time. The previous instill poofs.
  • Caladus, Arena Battlemaster says, "With a gasp Bengkuhm Stormroar recieves a flying knee to the face from Bengkuhm Stormroar and he crumples to the ground."

This guy is hitting himself with a gasp or I am missing something?
  • IniarIniar Australia
    What are these?

^The flame explodes into a searing furnace that strips (\w+)'s aura of rebounding before vanishing entirely\.$

^Devotion burning in (?:his|her) eyes, (\w+) raises an imperious hand towards (\w+) and the Rite of Cleansing produces a purifying flame\.$

Zith mixes some yellow and purple bone dust and fling it casually towards Zith. As the dust lands, it starts forming arcane words in some long-forgotten language.
  • edited March 2015
    Iniar said:

What are these?

^The flame explodes into a searing furnace that strips (\w+)'s aura of rebounding before vanishing entirely\.$

^Devotion burning in (?:his|her) eyes, (\w+) raises an imperious hand towards (\w+) and the Rite of Cleansing produces a purifying flame\.$

Zith mixes some yellow and purple bone dust and fling it casually towards Zith. As the dust lands, it starts forming arcane words in some long-forgotten language.
    (1) that's rite of cleansing stripping rebounding.

(2) i believe that is when someone tries to use rite of cleansing but the target does not have any rebounding or shield to strip, so it just does fire damage (not the same as flare though).  edit - actually, that might be when templars flare and the rite that is used in the flare is the cleansing rite. 
  • The last is jinx I believe.
  • Ultrix said:

Iniar said:

What are these?

(1) that's rite of cleansing stripping rebounding.

(2) i believe that is when someone tries to use rite of cleansing but the target does not have any rebounding or shield to strip, so it just does fire damage (not the same as flare though).  edit - actually, that might be when templars flare and the rite that is used in the flare is the cleansing rite. 
    Meh. On (2), I was right the first time around as I finally got on my laptop to look at my triggers just now. It's when you use cleansing on a target but the target doesn't have rebounding or shield to strip, so it just causes some fire damage. 
  • edited March 2015
    Edit: Derp. Ignore this.