Skip to content

Clueless

Comments

• Another neat command I didn't know of! Thanks <3
  • FLYERS as well.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Couple of questions

1) Why aren't people recruited into guilds in introduction - this seems like a good idea because the guild system gets almost entirely overlooked otherwise

2) Can novices be given a learning plan - there doesn't seem to be any that I can see.
  • Khizan said:
    FLYERS as well.
    On that topic, is there a way to tell who is on the ground when you're flying?  LOOK DOWN tries to look at a room in the DOWN direction.
  • Anette said:
    Khizan said:
    FLYERS as well.
    On that topic, is there a way to tell who is on the ground when you're flying?  LOOK DOWN tries to look at a room in the DOWN direction.
    GLANCE GROUND
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Eoghan said:
    Anette said:
    GLANCE GROUND
    Aha, I was so close, and yet so far!
  • Eoghan said:
    Anette said:
    Khizan said:
    FLYERS as well.
    GLANCE GROUND
    The only place I knew for certain that was listed was the old owl bonding AB file.
  • edited April 2016
    Ohm said:
    Couple of questions

1) Why aren't people recruited into guilds in introduction - this seems like a good idea because the guild system gets almost entirely overlooked otherwise

2) Can novices be given a learning plan - there doesn't seem to be any that I can see.
    1) When the decision was made to move novicehood from guilds into city/council orgs, automatic inguilding was removed from the introduction. There are several reasons for this, but the primary one is to minimize the amount that a newbie has to be exposed to all at once.

2) For now, we aren't going to enforce any additional learning instructions beyond the small amount already given in the introduction. We feel it's best to let organizations put together this information.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Eoghan said:

2) For now, we aren't going to enforce any additional learning instructions beyond the small amount already given in the introduction. We feel it's best to let organizations put together this information.
    On this point - I'd like some help putting this together for magick professions. If anyone have this in place already or are willing to work with me on this, it'll be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • edited April 2016
    Juran said:
    Eoghan said:
    GLANCE GROUND
    The only place I knew for certain that was listed was the old owl bonding AB file.
    I have an idea for how this can be addressed in the help files proper I will TYPO.

[edit] On second thought given the nature I will probably post in the Improving Imperian thread and then reference in a TYPO report.
  • Juran said:
    Eoghan said:
    Anette said:
    Khizan said:
    FLYERS as well.
    GLANCE GROUND
    It is also in AB PERCEPTION GLANCING, along with GLANCE TREES.

LOOK GROUND will now perform the same functionality, with the same restrictions.
  • Shard heal won't work if you have peace. Is this a bug?
  • I am aware of the RESISTS command to see what my overall resistances are, but is there a command to see where I'm getting the resistances from?  IE "here's the amount from outrider cloak, here's the amount from miniskill, here's the amount from your res ring.." etc?
  • SalikSalik Da Burgh
    RESISTS FIRE will show this:

Resistance modifiers for fire damage:
    Armour Resistance: 10%
    Algiz Rune: 10%
    Frost Elixir: 10%
    Thermology Skill: 25%
  • edited April 2016

Aha, thanks!

[edit]: I guess it's some sort of alogirthmic effects that adjust though?

Damage Type    Armour    Resists
    Cutting        61%       11%
    Blunt          61%       11%
    Magickal       0%        32%
    Fire           0%        28%
    Cold           0%        10%
    Poison         0%        30%
    Asphyxiation   0%        23%
    Electricity    0%        32%
    Psychic        0%        28%

Resistance modifiers for psychic damage:
    Protection Blessing: 10%
    Philosophy Skill: 20%

• SalikSalik Da Burgh
    Diminishing returns, though I haven't done the math to figure out how that works, yet. 
  • edited April 2016
    Interesting.  Could also be some sort of rounding too.
    Thanks for pointing that out all the same though, I'd been wondering if there was a better way to suss that out other than trial and error.
  • Salik said:
    Diminishing returns, though I haven't done the math to figure out how that works, yet. 
    Resists are multiplicative and not additive. 100 * 0.90 * 0.90 = 81, whereas 100 * 0.80 = 80.
  • edited April 2016

Resists are multiplicative, not additive.

They work like this:

You take 100 psychic damage. You have a 20% resist and a 10% resist.You reduce 100 by 20% and get 80. Then you reduce 80 by 10% and get 72. 100-72 = 28. That's a 28% resistance, which is what shows up on RESISTS. 

That's how all the resists except armor work. Armor reduces damage by a percentage that is NOT the amount listed on the armor's weaponprobe, and it only applies to a certain percentage of any given attack. I do not know off the top of my head how these amounts are calculated. You can find out how much of an attack is defended by armor by using RESISTS CHECK against that attack.

You reave yourself furiously with a mercurial battleaxe named Indecision.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Damage report: raw damage 137 cutting, physical. Attacker: Khizan
    Modifier                                   Value   Result
    Armour Resistance (75 reducible)             74%       81
    Surcoat                                      15%       69

The full attack is 137. My armor can affect 75 damage of that attack, and it reduces that 75 damage by 74%. 137 - (75*.74) = 81 damage.

Then the surcoat reduces that 81 damage by 15%. 81*.85 = 69

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• That makes a lot of sense, thanks!
  • How do @Septus and @Jules decimate like ten people at one time?

• THE SKYHAMMER.

HELP SECT RITUALS MORADEIM > METEOR
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • Can you use BURROW to get past walls?
  • Yeah, you can.  I wasn't totally sure, so I just checked.  You're still going to hit the totem whenever you reenter though, including if they manage to dig you up before you move a room, which honestly, the wytches in particular have a damned good chance to do.  The way things are right now, if I am primary target, the best thing seems to be for me to just do active heals (don't try to shield or barrier, because so much of their offense goes through those, and keeping rebounding is dicey too).  
  • edited April 2016
    Just wondering it it was worth adding into my proverbial toolbox.  I can't rely on the wings to get me out of indoor engagements I don't want to be involved in, and if I am going to be fighting, I want to do it on my terms.  A mount will help with icewalls too.  So many things to sort.
  • You can't burrow in any kind of urban or "hard" ground, so remember that too.  A lot of times, for something like I think you mean, the best thing you can probably do is scream for help honestly (with room number), and try to make sure that help can get to you.  
  • edited April 2016
    Jules said:
    You can't burrow in any kind of urban or "hard" ground, so remember that too.  A lot of times, for something like I think you mean, the best thing you can probably do is scream for help honestly (with room number), and try to make sure that help can get to you.  
    It doesn't put you off balance if you can't though, so it's something I can put in my "gtfo" alias to try if I'm in a bind.  You're right though, if someone wants to keep you somewheres and is after you specifically, you're boned unless you can beat them yourself or get help.  The trouble I've had is with people who think the bashy aspect who doesn't pk much (yet anyways, hoping to fix that) will be an easy mark and ambush me.  They're not usually too invested in chasing me if I bugger off.

[edit] That makes me wonder, what can stop Pilgrimage in Imperian?  Same stuff as Aet, or?
  • edited April 2016
    If it's just one dude, yeah, try to run for sure.  Preferably with with an activated disruptor fork if it's a summoner.  It usually is pretty hard for someone to hold another person down 1 v. 1 if the other person really wants to leave.  It's probably even one of the main reasons people will call for at least one more person when they really want to kill a target that's intent on running. 

EDIT:  Unless you are willing to give them one fight.  Depending on who it is and why they're hunting you, sometimes, I just give them the fight (and probably die). 
  • Jules said:
    If it's just one dude, yeah, try to run for sure.  Preferably with with an activated disruptor fork if it's a summoner.  It usually is pretty hard for someone to hold another person down 1 v. 1 if the other person really wants to leave.  It's probably even one of the main reasons people will call for at least one more person when they really want to kill a target that's intent on running.  
    Depends.  The shard wall things seem hard to get around, but it may just be that I don't know the countermeasure.
  • edited April 2016
    If it's 1 v. 1, just disrupt a shard wall.  SHARD DISRUPT <direction> and leave.  Or get flip boots.  Boots are going to be awesome in a lot of 1 v. 1 situations.  Really, they're going to be awesome in just about any situation without ansuz - and if it's 1 v. 1 you actually should still be able to just walk away even then.  You can also warp if you are a change aspect, then run, or keep a shard mark if you think you're going to get jumped.  Shard mark would probably work awesome for your situation, but it does require you to have it ready.  Finally, if you're worried about an actual gank, foreboding stone is awesome.  Foreboding stone has saved me from so many ganks.  Nothing like seeing "blah person, person, and person have entered blah hey that's where I am".  And then you run like hell :D   The only people it won't catch are veil users (or people you don't have enemied).