Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• Ultrix said:
    For the output of CONTAINERLIST <THING>, can we get a "Total: ____" count at the bottom (similar to the "Number of matching items" line for II <THING>)?
      Going along with this, could it also display "Number of things: 0" when there's none of them? Right now, if you "CONTAINERLIST <ITEM>" when you have none of that item, it just fails without any message at all.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• JuranJuran Ohio
    edited December 2014
    Dicene said:
    gmcp.Char.Afflictions = {
          list = {
            "left_arm_broken"
          }
        }

GMCP afflictions list should not be a thing.

Edit: Unless it was only returned upon diagnose. I would be reasonably comfortable with a GMCP parsing alternative to plain text when you're already being provided the information requested.
  • edited December 2014
    We have considered sending a GMCP message along with (but only along with) generic affliction messages (both for afflict and cure). Even if we decide to do that, we will never send a complete list.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • The HELP BEHAVIOURS stuff doesn't tell you what the types are or even give an example. I had to go back to ANNOUNCE 2886.

Also, it's silly that you can't see the messages without owning it already. Why even bother?
  • You can, the syntax is weird and elaborate and I don't know it without asking, but it's possible. >.> @Dicene ?
     You say, "This is much harder than just being a normal person."
  • The syntax is a little funky. An example: "behaviour volcanic type ranger_advanced test"

• But..then..why is there a look one that doesn't work? I'm confused. But thanks!
  • Khizan said:
    Ultrix said:
    For the output of CONTAINERLIST <THING>, can we get a "Total: ____" count at the bottom (similar to the "Number of matching items" line for II <THING>)?
      Going along with this, could it also display "Number of things: 0" when there's none of them? Right now, if you "CONTAINERLIST <ITEM>" when you have none of that item, it just fails without any message at all.
    Done. Will load later today.

• Kabaal said:
    But..then..why is there a look one that doesn't work? I'm confused. But thanks!
    I have updated the help file and I will have the LOOK option show all the messages without requiring the scroll. I'll load that up a bit later today.

• Can we have that PATH GROUP commands in a file somewhere?

I may have missed this being added in somewhere.
  • I'd like to see some sort of festive Christmas NPC that delivers gifts to players. >:(
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • I feel bad because I've already gotten Ironbeard visits twice
  • Minor thing, but: It'd be cool if we could add Atlas pages to increase gold output in a zone, maybe up to 10%. It's not much but it'd make getting map pages a bit more tolerable.

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • I would really, really, really like to see something akin to what Aetolia does with housing. 

It's a huge investment for RP reasons that is basically unusable at present because if someone persistent sneaks in my house a few times the city can confiscate it. 

I would like them to either be granted a unique area (like neighborhoods) or for a credit purchase make them permanently owned. If you want to keep houses as gold dumps, let the existing number of city-available houses remain as gold-purchased homes and open up credit purchased homes with the benefit of not having a room cap and the availability to build outside of cities for added cost. 

Or both, both would be nice (neighborhood and credit housing). 

There are a number of ways for raiders to sneak in cities, let there be one safe haven for people who want to RP without having to worry about constant interruption. And before the hurrhurr dirty times jokes, half of my house is built for bardic purposes, with a theater, auditorium, and exhibition hall.

• @Teravi

>I would like them to either be granted a unique area (like neighborhoods) or for a credit purchase make them permanently owned. If you want to keep houses as gold dumps, let the existing number of city-available houses remain as gold-purchased homes and open up credit purchased homes with the benefit of not having a room cap and the availability to build outside of cities for added cost.

Token wares. Scroll down. Merry Christmas, you can plonk a house down anywhere in the world.

>There are a number of ways for raiders to sneak in cities, let there be one safe haven for people who want to RP without having to worry about constant interruption.

There are an equal number of ways to counter those sneaky raiders and their methods.  Learning them isn't hard.

>And before the hurrhurr dirty times jokes, half of my house is built for bardic purposes, with a theater, auditorium, and exhibition hall.
    >dirty times jokes
    >exhibition hall

Do you... do you really want to softball it in like that?
    Today we shall die.
  • I know the methods. It's not the same as what I'm asking for. It takes one person being extremely persistent to get in even with someone carefully using those methods. It takes one person being a tool to make any sort of gathering less than enjoyable. Prism x100, go. No point in even attempting to host any function in a house if someone decides to be a turd. 

Even WITH houses being in a separate area, it'll still be possible to sneak in for someone who is persistent. It just won't be as possible for them to ruin any event happening inside a house, or to harass someone who is, say, wanting to hide in a safe space without being pestered while they design/write/code/whatever.

I'm not wanting a token house. I do not want to have to go through the additional hassle of acquiring a (rather large) supply of tokens to get it. Maybe that makes me lazy or something, I don't know. I would much rather have the pricing stable and known up front, rather than have to hustle to buy or wait a year and a half to gather them through the membership.

And I'm trying to bypass the typical idiocy of your average forum goer. Thank you for demonstrating why. 
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    If someone is persistent in trying to get into your home, have a group of allies stand with you and kill the interloper. Everyone is very good at the gang bang mentality.
  • edited December 2014
    I thought you could buy an artifact house for 400 (?) credits at one point. Or at least this is how I was told some people got houses in weird places. Anyone know if a straight credits-for-housing purchase option is still available?

Teravi said:

There are a number of ways for raiders to sneak in cities, let there be one safe haven for people who want to RP without having to worry about constant interruption. And before the hurrhurr dirty times jokes, half of my house is built for bardic purposes, with a theater, auditorium, and exhibition hall.

No place in the realm is ever 100% safe from raiders or people who just want to be difficult, or are hunting you for whatever reason, whether inside or outside a city.
  • There should be safe havens. Not everyone in the game has a desire to participate in the PK system. If you invest millions into a house, it should be possible to have it safeguarded against intrusion to some degree. It should also be protected against political machinations. 

There are -plenty- of mechanics to encourage conflict. There are plenty of opportunities for people to engage in spying. Even with the house not being accessible via prism, there will still be ways to sneak in and out. It will just be -less- possible to troll people, which is the biggest detriment to RP in homes. 

Right now, I don't have much desire to actively engage in PK because that will make me a more likely target for harassment when I'm doing other things. If I -want- to work on developing the artistically oriented plans I have, I feel like I can't fight because all the bored fighters will come poke at me at inconvenient times. Like, as happened, in the middle of a performance with a half dozen people involved. I feel like I have to choose between pk involvement and heavy RP involvement. 

As it is now, I get bored fighters(trolls) harassing me enough that I don't think I'll be able to successfully host the events I want to do in my home. I'd need to leave the first door unlocked so folks could come and go, and that opens me up to a number of raiding tactics, which opens me up to losing my house because of city laws. 

It would be lovely if I could consistently gather half a dozen active and capable fighters in Kinsarmar. I'll let you know when that's an option.

The houses in weird places are mostly all there from auction houses. Those get crazy expensive. As far as I know, there has never been an option to purchase a house via credits in at least the last ten years. 
  • edited December 2014
    A GMCP event for the queue, would be nice.
    gmcp.Char.Queue = {
    add = {eqbal = "dance|garrote bob"},
    remove = {eq},
    list = {
    eqbal = "dance|garrote bob",
    eq = false,
    bal = false,
    }
    }

Something like that.

Add the area to worm sources and worm seek:

You sense a stable wormhole from here to there [area name].

As for safe havens: There already are a ton of places where being shielded and massed means you are effectively immortal, save for fun (read: silly) things like Radiance. These just happen to be in siege lines. The idea that houses being somewhat more secure will suddenly allow people to "hide from PK" in any way that standing at the Shuk doesn't do is silly; it just adds some more things that they can do while hiding. A simple way, honestly, would be to have personal guards for the house, and maybe a long, long channeled in-room phase/offplane removal (I hate that it's class specific for AM and Demonic, even if seance needs to be nerfed into the ground.)

I also think that houses shouldn't just poof, considering the methods by which houses are able to be gobbled up. Asking people to pay basically $140 for the assurance that a major investment won't poof is silly. It's the same reason we don't have guilds locking people under GR3 and holding the class investment as a baton anymore. Again, this is simply solved: make houses based on "blueprints" that each person has. Permits on the blueprint cost the majority of the gold to add (like 90% of what the costs are for all the things), and there's a relatively little cost for the actual construction (10%). You can put the house wherever you can find a house slot (be that a city, towne, or token) for a cost. If the city wants the lot back, then the house is demolished. Pricing doesn't change, but moving the house provides an extra gold sink. Bam!
  • edited December 2014
    There is no way to purchase house tokens directly with credits. You can purchase them using tokens, which you can buy with credits via the promo market (or other secondary markets).

We've talked about some housing changes, but I don't want to go into any specifics because it is still pretty low on our list of projects and the details are far from complete.
    Bathan said:
    Minor thing, but: It'd be cool if we could add Atlas pages to increase gold output in a zone, maybe up to 10%. It's not much but it'd make getting map pages a bit more tolerable.
    Increased damage already results in faster gold generation. We aren't keen on further enhancing bashing gold generation in this way, as it would just inflate the gold problem further.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Since apparently the concept is baffling, let me explain.

I would -like- to participate in combat, however, I have other priorities first. Namely, I want to develop a primarily RP oriented group of folks interested in artistic crap in game. Given the nature of PKers (not all, but enough), if I do become active in combat, I am very likely to get harassed more actively than I do right now. I already get harassed by a small handful of individuals. (Though fortunately, not lately.) I don't really mind it unless I'm trying to accomplish something that requires a lot of prep-work and wrangling a group of people together for an event of some sort. Those are -hard- to accomplish, and it's seriously aggravating when it is easily interrupted by a single bored person spamming prism.  

Having a safe space to do the RP oriented stuff would let me jump into both at once, knowing I could perform/host crap without interruption fifty times and then go out and be violent at others. 

I'm not guessing at this. I'm basing it off of every time I've had a character actively fight. If I fight, then I have to absolutely never be in a not completely protected space if I need to accomplish work (and not be fully attentive to the screen). Maybe, maybe the culture in Impy has changed and ya'll just ignore each other unless someone is standing in the midst of the Reate screaming kick me, but I somehow doubt it.
  • edited December 2014
    This thread is starting to get into derail territory. Move the discussion elsewhere or risk deleted posts.
  • replace behavioural scrolls with low amounts of bound credits instead of something burdensome like an item that statistically is all but guaranteed to not be for your class
  • Not all rewards will be useful for all classes. Behaviour scrolls can be bought, sold, and traded.
  • edited December 2014
    Eoghan said:
    Not all rewards will be useful for all classes. Behaviour scrolls can be bought, sold, and traded.

Soon as i complain Ironbeard gives me a scroll that both works for my class and matches my assembly sets. And admittedly I shouldn't complain about free stuff. Merry Christmas!
  • Teravi what you want is a ship (completely inpenetrable, while in harbour at least) ;)  We need ships!  I never bothered buying a house in Imperian and don't plan on it because the vulnerabilities you mention are similar to those in Achaea, making the house close to worthless as a socializing venue, particularly for an event where you want to host a large group (unless a Septus is there).  Here in Imperian, though, the countergank option might not be a bad one, so long as your org has people who just want to kill things and are pretty good at it (which I think most do).  Hope we don't get in trouble for derail, but good to see that they are considering changing the way housing works at some point - I hear your point that while you enjoy PK just fine, you'd like to be able to have a tea party in your home without breaking the china and getting blood all over the carpet.  Otherwise why buy it?  Also, ships!
  • I'd love to see some kind of interface (similar to WoW's) that keeps track of all the mini-pets I own. I have like 20 now and my inventory is actually just a zoo. It'd be awesome if I could just pull up a screen that has a check next to the ones I own. Additionally, a 'summon random mini-pet' spell would be fantastic.

• edited December 2014
    "Summon Random Mini Pet" is amazingly trivial to do client side; any half-decent coder in your client of choice should be able to do it in <5 minutes.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Well, as a sub-decent coder (along with many others) it'd be cool to have. That said, it is a decidedly trivial request, so I'd hardly be offended if it got passed on.