Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Mathiaus said:
    Odd. I just track equilibrium and balance and have my skills fire according to either one being true. I hardly use queue unless I need to cath or stop an instant kill. Is it really that hard to track two variables? I must be playing wrong.
    You're playing a class with very fast balance+very high aff rate+a large passive offense+high amount of attack/escape lockout mechanics.  You won't necessarily be affected in the same way as a class that is 100% active, marginal bal/eq times, and marginal affliction rate where you may need every bit of speed you can get to make a kill.  Not losing the time due to processing and latency may be the difference between hindering/killing your target or getting an OP claymore to the face.

@khizan is basically asking for an instant one-shot queue eqbal function, that would either fire the attack if the conditions are met or ignore it completely. While he doesn't want to use queue, he could use it to get this same functionality: QUEUE EQBAL <command string>;QUEUE RESET ALL.  In this way, it wouldn't fire off an off-bal eq attack early when you button mash.

@iniar: I don't think this is really comparable to your IFREBOUNDING other than they both start with IF.
  • Iniar said:
    @Khizan, this is very nearly the same scope I asked for when I asked for IFREBOUNDING RSL. It is very similar territory.

No, it isn't like that at all. IFREBOUNDING would remove all need to track rebounding from the game and it would be a massive DPS increase in teams because nobody would ever whiff an RSL again; you'd never again see multiple claymore knights RSLing simultaneously or the like, because everybody could just rely on perfect tracking. It would be the single largest upgrade AM had ever received, because all AM classes save monks are weapon-using classes. 

The thing I am asking for is completely different.The purpose is to let combo attacks chase their balance across their latency the same way that single-balance attacks can. When I'm a Summoner or a Mage, I only use eq, and so I can play the enter-command>get eq>command-goes-through game easily and without risk.  When I'm a Knight/Hunter/Druid/Outrider/Defiler/Assassin/etc, I end up with things like a 3s attack and a 2s eq. This means that if I try to anticipate my lag, I'm risking sending through bal/eq>eq instead of bal/eq>bal/eq, and this is stupidly frustrating.

It's already in the game, even; like Cassius says, I could just do "queue eqbal stab iniar|surge iniar;queue reset eqbal" and that would effectively do exactly what I want. It would send the command through immediately if I had balance/eq and then the queue would clear if it did not go through, so the action wouldn't be queued. The problem with that is that it's an ugly kludgy workaround that also interferes with the ability to actually queue things.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited December 2014
    I'm a bit iffy about adding things that remove the need for tracking (which includes tracking equilibrium and balance). Simplifying combat is a double-edged sword that we have to be careful with.

This case is a little different, since the queue already exists, and has similar functionality. It also, as Khizan mentioned, makes the requested functionality already possible but inconvenient. Since one of our goals is to make existing functionality more convenient, we'll likely add this new command in. We're still discussing whether it should be usable inside of queued commands, thoughts?
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • If you had something queued, the queue would fire before you could button mash the new command.
  • Why would you have to use it inside of a queued command? Doesn't the fact that the command is queued do away with the need for something like this entirely? If I queue something to fire on eqbal, I don't need to check eqbal because that's inherent to the queue.

Or am I misunderstanding you completely here?

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Effectively, it would allow you to have multiple eqbal queues. This isn't really a big deal since separators now work with the queue, so it's a pretty minor concern.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I know what you mean. Similarly, I know what the use cases both are, having played a wytch for ages. Your use case is chasing a 100-200ms window, which is also the same use case for IFREBOUNDING. My error was making the assumption that everyone made the same decisions (dsl into anti-weapon amirite). You're not looking at the problem at a meta-level. Anyway.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    I feel that an rapped disruptor should stop pilgrimage.

That is all.
  • edited December 2014
    Mathiaus said:

That is all.
    It already does, on either end.
  • Eoghan said:
    Mathiaus said:

That is all.
    Which is not in the help file and totally got me yelled at, or really, I just got a pat on the head *shakefist*.  Hey, I just remembered something for the HELP thread!  
  • Jules said:
    Eoghan said:
    Mathiaus said:

That is all.
    Which is not in the help file and totally got me yelled at, or really, I just got a pat on the head *shakefist*.  Hey, I just remembered something for the HELP thread!  
    Already fixed.
  • Any chance we could toggle showing belief gain on sacrificing? Just a simple message like this would make parsing belief of individual corpses a lot simpler, since you wouldn't have to check belieflog\more\more\more\more\more and gag the whole thing: Your sacrifice has contributed 365 belief to the Sect of the Flames.
  • edited January 2015
    Dicene said:
    Any chance we could toggle showing belief gain on sacrificing? Just a simple message like this would make parsing belief of individual corpses a lot simpler, since you wouldn't have to check belieflog\more\more\more\more\more and gag the whole thing: Your sacrifice has contributed 365 belief to the Sect of the Flames.
    Having lots of toggle options clutters the config output, so we try to avoid adding too many. I'll just make it always show.

Right now, it'll show for everyone. I might change my mind and restrict it to only those able to read the belief log later. It depends on how fickle I feel.
  • Know what would be an improvement to imperian?

If I didn't have to relog every time I died because my treant bugs out.  I bugged it a while ago, and it is very much so gamebreaking.  Whenever I die, I have to log out and log back in or I cannot use treant skills. At all. This is understandably inconvenient when in teamfights over whatever people tend to die a lot.  It needs fixed.
    Today we shall die.
  • Not on the same level as that, but when I die, my songbird has to be re-summoned

it used to stay where I died, but not anymore
  • edited January 2015
    Not sure if it exists anywhere, but it would be useful to know how many lessons it takes to reach a certain rank skill, not hugely important but would provide better information than the AB <SKILLNAME> RANKS option.

Edit: I did something stupid.
  • edited January 2015
    That exists in a lot of city helpfiles and such.

Here's the one from Antioch:

Antioch: Skills
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Composed by: Lalitana
    Composed on: 2013/05/30 00:51 GMT

From             To           Cost(Lessons/credits)           Total Cost

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inept           Novice                 7/2                       7/2
    Novice          Apprentice             9/2                      16/4
    Apprentice      Capable               18/3                      34/7
    Capable         Adept                56/10                     90/17
    Adept           Skilled              90/15                    180/32
    Skilled         Gifted              112/19                    292/51
    Gifted          Expert              149/25                    441/76
    Expert          Virtuoso            178/30                   619/106
    Virtuoso        Fabled              315/53                   934/159
    Fabled          Mythical            383/64                  1317/223
    Mythical        Trans               450/75                  1767/298

• Also the individual AB files will tell you if you have the skillset and have not learned it yet, iirc.
  • I'm going to write this help file for Stavenn, but it would be cool if there was an available help file that listed all of the activated shard abilities and their respective costs.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • All citizens are able to view CITY SHARD SKILLS and CITY SHARD SKILL <skill>.
  • I'm just going to throw an idea out that i thought might be cool, its for the monks. I want to see something where the user bypasses the usual muscle restrictions set on ones body to unleash a devastating attack, something powerful but has huge risks involved, obviously it would need a cool down time because otherwise everyone would just pick monk and spam that attack to wipe out the super tanky players, and as an added risk the monk should take a lot of damage afterwards for pushing their bodies past the limits that they are meant to go. Obviously this would have to a quite high skill in taekate. Addtionally some nice flavor text for the skill to customize how the attack looks would be nice, this would just be aesthetical purposes and would not change how the skill itself works. I haven't played this game for a long time and i noticed alot of changes so I just thought I would throw out what seemed like a cool idea to me, if anyone see's a problem with it i would appreciate if they let me know.
  • Could we get Achaea's Config ClothesLine here?  I'm a little surprised Imperian didn't do it first, as this player base is even more obsessed with inventory and description tidiness than those crazy Achaeans.  For example, here's what one guy looks like:

He is a human. He stands just barely above average in height. Lean powerful arms and legs extend from his sturdy frame, as visible contractions of his muscles with the slightest movements highlight his athletic tone. Chin length dirty blond hair pours freely off of his head, resisting all attempts of organization while veiling his warm smile and soft blue eyes. The rest of his form is very fit, and well defined hinting at an active life, or a strict training regiment. A rune shaped like a mighty oak has been sketched onto him.

He is wearing:

an earring of Sinope through his right ear,

a silver necklace with a petite arctic fox charm,

a tattered red sash of puissance,

a pair of monk's hunting gauntlets,

a stoic mask of smoky steel,

a Belt of Aegis,

a lush red and gold hat,

a wyrmskin pack,

a talisman of the shores,

reinforced coral-spined greaves,

a pair of monk's hunting knuckles,

a Nereian priest's robes,

an ebon-jewelled hemp collar,

a pair of Mayan Bracelets,

a fire coral crown bound in bronze,

a frayed hood of black silk,

an Amulet of the Will,

a Brooch of the Tempest,

a buckawn's amulet,

a brazen trident-shaped earring through his left ear,

an Armband of Celerity,

a Pendant of Oceans,

a black pearl bamboo pendant,

a dark blue cloak of sealskin,

a deep sea divers tool pack bearing the Divine Order arms of Neraeos,

charcoal faded tekura trousers,

a wool Logosmas sweater,

wanderer's driftwood sandals,

a lightweight suit of simple leather armour, and

a pale blue orchid

As you can see, all of your worn items end up on a list.  And if you're especially compulsive (who isn't?), you can even manage the order by removing items and putting them in containers, then taking them back out and rewearing them in the order you'd like them to show up (in fact it probably works that way now, but it's less noticeable when everything is a paragraph glob).  
  • edited January 2015
    There isn't really the need for such a skill. Monks already have other skills at their disposal that act as finishers within their standard kill conditions, and your proposed change would lend them additional team utility that the AM circle doesn't need.
    Today we shall die.
  • One thing that would be sort of cool and improve the environment is actually punish people for abusing bugs. Sup, dopple npcs? 

Additionally, things that impact combat/pve so much should be addressed with a sense of expedience. How long has Khizan's spear been hitting blackened with icecoat?
  • Should have mentioned that the config clothesline is completely optional, and you choose how you see the descriptions, not the other way around (so if you really, really hate the idea of seeing a list instead of what you see now, you wouldn't ever have to).  
  • I've reported that repeatedly, it gets fixed, and then it goes right back to doing it.

Shifting weapons are really weird. when I first got it, I could put different enchants on each version, but I couldn't remove any of them; now all versions of weapons share the same enchants and I can't do anything about that, and I can't really remove it.

• I agree with Jules, man. It's a config option. You can turn it off or no. So people who prefer the blob of text can have the blob of text. 

But I'd rather have the Aetolian variant, which allows you to conceal items you are wearing from view and set wear styles. 

Bob is a fancy builder man. 
    He is wearing:
      (haughtily tilted to one side) a yellow construction hat
      (covered in stains) an old pair of overalls
      (mostly concealed by the overalls) a checked workshirt
      (battered and dusty) a pair of leather workboots

Concealed, Bob's wearing a pretty princess tiara, because it gives him the ability to swing his hammer faster, but no self-respecting builder would declare a tiara -that- flashy to the world. 

Please do, yes, thank you. 
  • I want to agree, but what's wrong with gaudy tiaras?
  • I'll make you one up special, @Kabaal. Pink diamonds and rose gold and maybe a hideous poof of gold mesh 'lace'. 

We need a news catchup command for when we vanish for too long and don't want to read the 13432 news posts that no longer matter to the present situation. 
  • Super simple QoL change(my favorite kind). When relearning from a player, could we get the player's name added to the message?

ie, change:
    You have relearned Pioneering to the Virtuoso skill rank.
    You have fully relearned Pioneering.

to:
    You have relearned Pioneering to the Virtuoso skill rank from Eldreth.
    You have fully relearned Pioneering from Eldreth.