Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• Dicene said:
    I think it'd be really great to indicate which wave an area is currently at in SURVEY. Along with that, if the area has a long timer before it starts from the beginning like Khous does, you might have a vague indication of how long that area will remain at peace before dead rise again. Until that is added(or in its stead), anyone got the wave messages for Demon's Pass, Khous, Necropolis, and/or the Underworld Areas?
    I will think about this one. Not a bad idea though.

• I know this comes a little late, but the line for sacrificing someone to become a champion was fine when it was Avasyu. Now we use the entity name and declare them "all-powerful" - which isn't exactly true, and I know that my character will probably never consider entities to be the same as gods. 

With all the recent updates to what we can customize, why not let each cult or sect define their own sacrificial phrase?
  • Promotions that are good! Having browsed the selection, our token system and our promotions are terrible.

Which likely implies that these promotions are not:
    -Blatantly money grabbing (you've got a big problem with this)
    -Always changing (stick to the plan, Leeroy)
    -Bad (standard fare)

• bugshow 57963
  • Ahkan said:
    Promotions that are good! Having browsed the selection, our token system and our promotions are terrible.

Which likely implies that these promotions are not:
    -Blatantly money grabbing (you've got a big problem with this)
    -Always changing (stick to the plan, Leeroy)
    -Bad (standard fare)

While I agree that most promotions are pretty shamelessly 'put the money in the bucket and get the shiny Pokemon/cosmetic item', I also have to imagine it's difficult to come up with innovative promotions at this point in Imperian's lifespan. Sure, engagement is likely the core motivator, but IRE also wants to come up with things that convince us to continue investing when in reality most of us are already pretty decently geared. Realistically, the onus on IRE to dream up new and exciting ways to tempt us to open up our wallets, but I'm curious, what exactly would you like to see as promotions go? We've already got anywhere from 50 to 100 Pokemon, unique shouts/room messages, a whole promotion's market worth of odd gags, et cetera.

I ask because, at this point, I can't actually think of what I'd want from Imperian that promotions could give me.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Messages when you toke the last bit of herb from a pipe would be nice.

•  You need to really commit to tokens or commit to credits. That lets people know what to expect and Selthis it up. Either way, offering limited time toys is a good plan and good mechanic to get people to spend cash.

After that, your token item selection is pretty meh. Aetolia's rocks your socks. They have some swanky crap in there that's just fun.  The really good stuff bears with it a huge buy in that fits the benefit presented in the artifact (see: envenom cloth).
    -The necromancer's scepter (the bashing rezz one) would be a good item for PVE only.
    -Artihax vials
    -Low level  shards, vialbelts
    -Rings of flying
    -Token pipes.
    -Envenom rag
    -Cheesy artifacts (flower pot,  crafting artis, dice, card tables, stuff like this)
    -I'd put some custom pets on there,pets with like 10 skills, unique varieties of magic (read: not dirt trap or track or mount+fly)

Some of the monthly quest promotions were really badass and the dailies always gave you something to do. Some of the prizes were really awesome iirc and they're limited use  to the degree that people lament that they never got them. In moderation, these are really nifty.

Horde/Undead events (like the horde forts no one remembers) were fun and actually fit into your storyline of ORCS AND UNDEAD. This gets me to do stuff. You can try to sell me stuff while I do stuff. It also lets you develop a storyline without giant event.

You could pair some of your event releases with your monthly promotions. It  doesn't always have to be a whiz bang rock concert of pk madness and deep roleplay, but it could be cool if you released caravans or relics with items that relate to the system. We have this Orc Name Ptheve who is running caravans full of rats and crap and we must stop him. Join the fight and buy these items that are associated with being a bandit king! It's cheesy. It's goofy. It's also fun.

*Additionally, when you release a system and hard sell the artifacts associated with that system, most people don't know if it's a good buy or not and people will make snap decisions of, "I need this in my life!" You don't want to give them too much time to see through the smoke and the mirrors and realize that just like Imperian, it's hollow and unfinished.

And lastly, a blurb on uniqueness. Unique shout messages are cool because they're unique. Bashing messages are cool because they're unique. Releasing all of them at once for  sequential ruins the effect. It's not nearly as cool when scrublord45 (known as Ozreas) shouts with lightning just like I do. >:( You need to play this like the Disney vault.
  • AMBER PENDANT. I HAVE SO MANY GARBAGE ASSEMBLY PIECES I JUST WANT THE ONE.
     You say, "This is much harder than just being a normal person."
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Bathan said:

I ask because, at this point, I can't actually think of what I'd want from Imperian that promotions could give me.

Happiness. #MadeADifference
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Oh nevermind, what I want is a promo item that only activates upon reaching level 200 that gives me a million damage and forces people to be in awe of my very silly roleplay. I'd buy credits for that.

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Oystir said:
    AMBER PENDANT. I HAVE SO MANY GARBAGE ASSEMBLY PIECES I JUST WANT THE ONE.
    One thing I dislike about promotions such as phylacteries is the "randomness" factor and the need to collect 3 or 4 pieces of a "set" to have something usable. Although the promo market has helped with this immensely, it doesn't solve the problem when the 1 or 2 pieces you need just simply don't seem to exist in any player's hands. Couple that with the fact that the current promotion is recycling a lot of the earlier assembly pieces -- I mean, we just did phylacteries in July and now phylacteries have been "downgraded" to possibly give out vanity pieces which have little to no value sans maybe a half-dozen specific ones (and keep in mind that vanity sets were the promo items for March, and available as part of April's and September's wheel of spins), the chances of you getting an assembly piece you already have or completely have no interest in are pretty high, making it not worth the monetary investment. 
  • Well, to be fair, phylacteries are just 100% not worth it compared to how they used to be.

• I'm still enjoying Imperian's beta-server, PK for everyone culture immensely (now that I'm back for a bit with no school), but from a revenue and size of player base perspective, I think the game would benefit if there were a niche for true, dyed in the wool non-coms (just don't call them the P word, because it's Imperian).  In all seriousness, if there were a specific niche for these people, more of them might stick around, buy credits, and make our WHO list look healthier.  As well, those players should then be less likely to end up as citizens of cities that ARE emphatically conflict oriented, which just creates strife of the unfun variety for everyone.  Eventually, they might even change their minds and move somewhere more conflict oriented.  Make a small artisan village or something... with the excuse that they make goods and trade with everyone.  It wouldn't be so different from the way things are now, and I do think framing is important (not using the P word, for one), but the bottom line is that that kind of player can really round out a player base in terms of size and purchases (a good number of those people will almost certainly want EVERY familiar and vanity pet, for example), so another benefit is that Imperian's current player base, which by and large probaby does not care at all about such things, would have an enthusiastic market to sell to.  
  • The options kind of exist. Caravans were, in my mind, the non-comm's mechanical way to contribute, but they weren't cornered by any means by the non-comms. Now they are easier, almost nothing. It takes less time, but it is also done with about the same amount of focus - a handful of people care and other people don't. For city participation there's Culture and internal stuff, security requires no PK ability, houses, goldgrubbing is easier here than any other IRE I've been to, questing is better here than any IRE [also, quest level happens] as well as achievements, bashing [see: Garrynbot] is easier here than in any game, especially with the expansion of hunting areas. Cosmetics, behaviours, assembly pieces, custom shouts and familiars, plus taming. Just taming. I love taming.

Like. I agree with what you say? But.. what... exactly.. do you want? I think Imperian gives the non-comm a lot. I think the biggest thing to be desired is role-play opportunity, which has nothing to do with the admin.
     You say, "This is much harder than just being a normal person."
  • edited December 2014
    I was trying to avoid the P word.  I mean, I am a non-comm, in the sense that I don't understand combat, but I'll try to do whatever I'm told.  Imperian is *very* welcoming to people like me.  There are people who really, really don't want to fight other players at all, though, and I do think you're going to have a hard time if you feel that way, which people have confirmed in another thread.  I'd just like to see if Imperian can find a way to be more welcoming to those players (for the reasons I mentioned).  The way that occurred to me was for them to have a little commune, but there may be other ways.  
  • I think what everyone is trying to say is: re-release stockings and we'll all shut up.
    Today we shall die.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    There's nothing to stop you making your little commune - just grab a House token and keep expanding it; don't lock it up (or do), and have a clan to coordinate your activities.
  • Well... *I* don't want a commune.  I hope I'm making that part clear.  I like Imperian as is.  I just want people who want that sort of thing to feel like Imperian is a good place to hang out and spend their money.  
  • Khizan said:

Could Ironbeard just do like... a giftbag a day after you've been online for half an hour or something this year? 

I hate the way Ironbeard incentivizes just AFKing 24/7 in the hopes of a reward.

Or, alternatively, some small quest that you can do and get a gift and then be done for the day.  
  • IniarIniar Australia
    You mean like spinning the wheel.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Jules said:

Well... *I* don't want a commune.  I hope I'm making that part clear.  I like Imperian as is.  I just want people who want that sort of thing to feel like Imperian is a good place to hang out and spend their money.  

I'm confused. How then do you know such a need exists? As it stands, the majority of the player base are already non-coms. Again, there is nothing stopping -you- from doing something for -other- people if you really see such the need. Doesn't mean you have to be non-com; just means you've got enough of an unselfish heart to do what you feel needs doing.
  • I can't be totally sure, but I've got the impression from Antioch that the player who REALLY doesn't want to be involved in PK at all (rather than the player that is just terrible at it) does have a hard time fitting in.  If they're really vocal, it seems like they're a bit of a pain for city leadership, too.  I've also been told it's pretty similar in the other cities - for good reason, Imperian is built around conflict.  But that kind of player can be a big spender, and make a WHO list look healthier to someone checking our game out for the first time.  I am only suggesting that if there were a "spot" for them where they wouldn't be in direct conflict with the mores of Imperian, we'd all benefit from having more of them around (and they'd be conveniently out of the way of everyone else).
  • edited December 2014
    Bathan said:
    Oh nevermind, what I want is a promo item that only activates upon reaching level 200 that gives me a million damage and forces people to be in awe of my very silly roleplay. I'd buy credits for that.
    I would like one of these too... For reasons.

But can it work off of my bashing level? It's a lot higher since I've died waay too much...
  • With barrels, can we get it so that doing II BARREL will show you the contents of the barrel (similar to how II VIAL operates)?

Right now I just get this mess:

You are holding:
    "barrel12024"             an herb barrel
    "barrel21113"             an herb barrel
    "barrel23262"             an herb barrel
    "barrel63790"             an herb barrel
    "barrel70242"             an herb barrel
    "barrel86134"             an herb barrel
    "barrel92885"             an herb barrel
    "barrel130698"            an herb barrel
    "barrel175008"            an herb barrel
    "barrel208533"            an herb barrel
    "barrel234090"            an herb barrel
    "barrel234092"            an herb barrel
    "barrel234125"            an herb barrel
    "barrel234155"            an herb barrel
    "barrel234159"            an herb barrel
    "barrel234205"            an herb barrel
    "barrel234219"            an herb barrel
    "barrel234246"            an herb barrel
    "barrel235425"            an herb barrel
    "barrel290712"            an herb barrel
    "barrel340497"            an herb barrel
  • Does containerlist work for those?
  • FYI - I'm on holiday, so I won't be able to implement anything from this thread for another week and a half or so. If no one beats me to it, I'll be adding a few things (including fixing Legion and adding the herb type to herb barrels in IH/II)
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • The herb barrel wish has been granted.

• A couple QoL GMCP things that are present in Aetolia that I think we could make great use of(especially with a potential wield delay looming ahead):

gmcp.Char.Vitals.wield_left = "flail330159"
    gmcp.Char.Vitals.mounted = "0"
    gmcp.Char.Afflictions = {
          list = {
            "left_arm_broken"
          }
        },

Also, the presence of an "indoors" tag somewhere in gmcp.Room or gmcp.Char would be amazing for classes that have useful moves that require being outdoors(Druid with Lightning). If adding that isn't possible, an INDOORS command would still be preferable to parsing both FORECAST/MOONS and LOOK each time I attempt to LIGHTNING, in case a new canopy, campground, etc, has popped up.
  • For the output of CONTAINERLIST <THING>, can we get a "Total: ____" count at the bottom (similar to the "Number of matching items" line for II <THING>)?