Skip to content

Improving Imperian Combat

Comments

• Yup, the terminology could use some cleanup there. I'll look into it a bit after the comm changes are released.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited October 2014
    So. I want to use broadswords.

Broadswords double the chance of soulquench flaring?

Thoughts?
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    But please :< I want use broadsword mkay. :(
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited October 2014
    Eoghan said:
    Iniar said:
    Eoghan said:
    Iniar said:
    AFAIK, starburst and scorched combust share the same CD.
    This is incorrect. Currently, combust has a separate 60 minute cooldown after firing. Starburst has a 30 second cooldown after firing. The only current restriction is that you can't have both startburst and combust active at the same time, so you have to touch starburst or combust after being saved, rather than stacking them.
    Which does my Torc apply under? 30 seconds? Honestly never ran them together (feels cheap).
    The Torc of the Dead does not share a cooldown with any of the abilities. It has no specific cooldown, but is gated by having to be charged. It's used before other effects that would resurrect you.

- Automatic death revival effects (starburst, combust, redemption, torc of the dead) are now on a shared 30 second cooldown; if any of these is triggered, no other will fire during the next 30 seconds

Torc of the Dead
     - Increased in power as you kill mobs. When it reaches a full power you can set a place where you will be automatically rezzed the next time you die.
    You have won the Torc of the Dead in the auction for 776 credits. You will find it already on your person.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Skill        |  To prepare  | To activate  |  Cooldown   | Shared CD     |  Where      |
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Combust      |  nil         | 5.20 eq      | 60 minutes  | shared 30s cd |  Next room  |
    Starburst    |  25s         | Balanceless  | 30 seconds  | shared 30s cd |  Same room  |
    Torc of Dead |  100 mobs    | Balanceless  | 30 seconds  | shared 30s cd |  Anywhere   |

100 mobs takes me about 20 minutes. <- (I'm bad)

I can't honestly now think of a situation where I want to be whisked out of battle with my allies dying. :(

I know I shouldn't, but I feel gypped somehow. :( I still have what I paid for, and what was advertised, but.. iunno, feels like I got a bad 700 credit tattoo slot that needs 20 minutes to charge.

I guess I could use a combust, die into the next room, wait 10s, twist torc, then die 20s later and have a second combust but uh... :( #fwp

• I can't honestly now think of a situation where I want to be whisked out of battle with my allies dying. :(

Somewhere in the world, Kryss is having a good laugh at your naivete.

“We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • edited October 2014
    That's a pretty huge nerf to an auction artifact. I think a refund of some variety should be offered in this case, or an undoing of the shared cooldown at least. If that artifact were offered now for 100-200cr, I wouldn't even consider purchasing it.

• Wysrias said:
    or an undoing of the shared cooldown at least.

“We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • Future reference for classlead pregame.

-Prismatic barriers:
    (The epidemic of IRE. Let's  be like Nigeria and take charge and save the day)
    -Need way to break
    -No class needs access to this skill
    -Interaction of this skill and passives.

Instant entangles:
    (A case study in what is  balance)
    Why does hangedman have a pre-req of prone and other entangles do not? Inquiring minds want to know, especially since hangedman is the only instant entangle that picked up this modifier.

-Claymores do too much damage 
    (Why did they need an upgrade because they didn't).

-Druids.
    (let it go. D&D 3.5 admitted they screwed the pooch. So can you!)
    -The all combo, sadface.
    -Damage modifiers. 0 cost. No opportunity cost.
    -Remove Ellen's druid classleads
    -Oppression

-Defiler
    (Plz don't moonsage me bro)
    Gonna like, replace  some of the skills that were terrible but weren't terrible because they were all on but now they can't all be on anymore?

-Wytchen
    (Juggling numbers is hard. Ever since Lionas died, I just can't bring myself to do it. Why can't it be newbie? Hold my hand like druid)
    -Tanks like nuts
    -Afflicts too unreliably
    -Timers are all over the place
    -I don't like masked affs but here's some masked affs
    -Marks are bad, cadmus is  king
    -Has no active/passive curing, get's out afflicted

Diabolist:
    (GTFO)
    -3 modes that are independent of each other are bad. See: Why can a templar quickdraw but a diabolist cannot. Yeah, it's like that.
    See: Wysrias

Distribution of tankiness.

Cleric:
    -Gold ink:I don't need to be stunned 33% of the time.

AM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Magick >> Demonic.

Which leads into why are all the top tankiest classes in AM? Why are they also the most powerful classes in the game?HMM!
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Ahkan said:
    Instant entangles:
    Why does hangedman have a pre-req of prone and other entangles do not? Inquiring minds want to know, especially since hangedman is the only instant entangle that picked up this modifier.

Syntax: PINDOWN <TARGET>
    Should you find your opponent prone, you may utilize a flipdart to nail him to the ground, effectively disabling him for a period of time. This ability can be combined with Knifeplay attacks, but only at the beginning of a combo.
    In before Delrayne says it.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited October 2014
    Some proof in the pudding that claymores are too strong:

15:01:33.582   Khizan's prismatic barrier dissolves into nothing.

15:01:33.582   Prismatic down for Khizan.

15:01:33.582   Prismatic down for Khizan.

15:01:33.583   Khizan's a keen-eyed falcon on Ihsan.

15:01:33.594   Ellarynth, riding a brilliant white Aorian mare named Boudicca, enters from the north, a soft glow suffusing her form.

15:01:33.595   She is followed by a ravenous hound.

15:01:33.892   Khizan climbs onto a massive warhorse.

15:01:33.893   Devotion burning in his eyes, Khizan raises an imperious hand towards Ihsan and the Rite of Cleansing produces a purifying flame.

15:01:33.894   The flame explodes into a searing furnace, burning Ihsan painfully.

15:01:33.896   Khizan dsls Ihsan.

15:01:33.901   Ihsan sunallergy.

15:01:33.901   With a lightning-quick motion, Khizan slashes Ihsan with a mercurial claymore.

15:01:34.193   Ihsan sipped.

15:01:34.198   Ihsan ate toadstool.

15:01:34.202   Ihsan ate nightshade.

15:01:34.209   Cordilia ate maidenhair.

15:01:34.230   Cordilia hellsight [summoner].

15:01:34.500   Ihsan concentrates on purging toxins from his body.

15:01:34.502    -sunallergy (Ihsan) Ihsan sunallergy.

15:01:34.512   Ihsan howls as a keen-eyed falcon hacks into him.

15:01:34.516   As Cordilia attempts to leave, white light envelops Abigail and Cordilia is yanked back by an invisible force.

15:01:34.523   Mana Lost: 50

15:01:34.523   Your desire for life fades as your past failures return to haunt you.

15:01:35.119   Abigail ate toadstool.

15:01:35.123   Ultrix smites Abigail.

15:01:35.124   Distortaura.

15:01:35.126   The corroded demonic sword flies at Cordilia again before disappearing in a puff of smoke.

15:01:35.131   Cordilia numbness.

15:01:35.422   Abigail ate wormwood.

15:01:35.736   Cordilia impatience relapse [summoner].

15:01:35.758   Cordilia exited to skies.

15:01:35.759   Your foreboding stone glows, warning you that Cordilia is nearby.

15:01:35.763   You do not see that individual here.

15:01:35.766   (R): Abigail, "Cordilia left SKIES."

15:01:36.037   Ahh, I am truly sorry, but I do not see anyone by that name here.

15:01:36.343   Ahh, I am truly sorry, but I do not see anyone by that name here.

15:01:36.348   You detect nothing here by that name.

15:01:36.351   With one fluid maneuver, Delrayne steps forward, hooking his leg around your own and knocking you to the ground with a blow from his elbow.

15:01:36.357   aff+ prone.

15:01:36.358   Delrayne quickly flows into the Vae-Sant stance.

15:01:36.360   Delrayne kicks off the ground, momentarily becoming a blurred cyclone of motion as his knife rips into your left leg twice before he touches down.

15:01:36.361   [-[ Left leg 33% ]-]

15:01:36.363    -39 [ 6.4%],  63 (38.1%)

15:01:36.364   You feel your aura distend and whip back at Delrayne, returning some of the damage that was meant for you.

15:01:36.365   Your hearing is suddenly restored.

15:01:36.366   Delrayne quickly flows into the Ein-Fasit stance.

15:01:36.367   Delrayne's knife leaves a curving vision trail as it speeds into you, cutting a ravaged swath through your flesh.

15:01:36.368    -49 [ 8.1%],  80 (38.7%)

15:01:36.369   You feel your aura distend and whip back at Delrayne, returning some of the damage that was meant for you.

15:01:36.370   Delrayne quickly flows into the Gyanis stance.

15:01:36.375   Autocuring: stand

15:01:36.385   aff- prone.

15:01:36.389   Ultrix [rebounding].

15:01:36.393   You are again able to unleash a demon.

15:01:36.568   (R): You, "Cordilia left SKIES."

15:01:36.572   Ahh, I am truly sorry, but I do not see anyone by that name here.

15:01:36.583   Autocuring: eat juniper

15:01:36.586   Ate juniper.

15:01:36.587   Silence engulfs you as your hearing fades.

15:01:36.594   (R): Ahkan, "So awful."

15:01:36.598   You feel an aura of rebounding surround you.

15:01:36.598   You have gained the anti-weapon field defence.

15:01:36.867   A tranquil white mare named Celina comes falling down from above to land with a 'THUMP.'

15:01:37.088   You do not see that individual here.

15:01:37.367   Abigail sipped.

15:01:37.593   Ultrix rebounding down.

15:01:37.595   Ultrix smites Abigail.

15:01:37.596   Distortaura.

15:01:37.600   Your aura of weapons rebounding disappears.

15:01:37.601   You have lost the anti-weapon field defence.

15:01:37.601   You touch the tentacle tattoo and suddenly the ground splits open as a nightmarish tentacle shoots skywards, dragging Cordilia back to earth.

15:01:37.603   skies entered from Cordilia.

15:01:37.604   The eyes on the border of the Empire shimmer slightly, warning you that Cordilia, Delrayne and Khizan have gathered in the Heartlands.

15:01:37.605   Your foreboding stone glows, warning you that Cordilia is nearby.

15:01:37.605   Equilibrium Taken: 2.75s

15:01:37.609   You may drink another healing elixir.

15:01:37.879   Cordilia concentrates on purging toxins from her body.

15:01:37.892   Ultrix smoked linseed.

15:01:37.896   Abigail ate galingale.

15:01:37.903   Autocuring: sip health

15:01:37.904   You sip health.

15:01:37.905   +89 (14.7%)

15:01:37.908   Autocuring: smoke pipe with linseed

15:01:37.908   You take a long drag off your pipe, filling your lungs with linseed smoke.

15:01:37.914   Khizan dsls Ihsan.

15:01:37.914   Khizan dsls Ihsan.

15:01:37.915   Khizan raises his arms in a beckoning gesture and the Rite of Cleansing bursts into flames and wreathes itself around Ihsan.

15:01:37.916   The flames wreathing around Ihsan's body overcome him and his charred corpse falls to the ground.

15:01:37.916   Khizan has slain Ihsan.

15:01:37.916   Cleared all variables on Ihsan.

We were handily winning that fight until knight-class two-shots half my team. (Ihsan, Abigail)

This example is the most startling because even with the heavily split dps, and 0 persons hitting Ihsan prior, he goes down in two hits.
  • Ahkan said:
    Instant entangles:

Most of the zero-prereq entangles died along with ciguatoxin in the "hey maybe permanent lockdown shouldn't be so easy" revamps of the past. The only entangles that I can think of now that have no pre-reqs are the web tattoo, net arrows, shadowstrike, and the treant entangle. 

• Pindown, Impale, Pinshot, Strangle all have the prone pre-req and can't be set up in the same move.
    • Transfixes all have the blind pre-req.
    • Druid entangle and Hunter entangle both have a charge/entangle mechanic.
    • Joust is arguable, but remounting is trivial for most classes and has a 100% block rate for the impale. 

Summoners are actually the only class with a prone entangle that gets the ability to prone|entangle in one instant-cast move and still maintain at least the vestige of an instant-entangle. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited October 2014
    6s cd and hangedman (12s cooldown on the same demon), really? How many times can baaaaashe entangle in that time? (See: every balance) (Sub in Alvetta)

To elaborate I'm sacrificing my unleash to prone someone. Just prone. I am missing out on 90 psychic damage, 2 afflictions, 30% taint, temporary banish or whoopity the remix wagon to prone you. Come on. Pretend you actually played this class when you're blowing smoke to play devil's advocate.

Notice I said 'instant' entangles, which none of your examples fit the bill  because they were already setup required. Soo...nice oranges. I've got champagne. Let's do this.

Next.
  • edited October 2014
    Ahkan said:
    6s cd and hangedman (12s cooldown on the same demon), really? How many times can baaaaashe entangle in that time? (See: every balance) (Sub in Alvetta)

They have to either circle/entangle or prepare/entangle so they're entangling every other balance and they're sacrificing potential damage to do it, too!

And hangedman got nerfed for the exact same reason that pindown got nerfed; putting a weight on "fling hangedman at target" or "stance|trip|pindown" was too effective and had no reasonable counter and people(you included) didn't like the fact that their fights consisted of "never not be entangled" and then death.

• people(you included) didn't like the fact that their fights consisted of "never not be entangled" and then death.

Have you fought a team with Baashe or Alvetta in it? There you go. 
    "Circling is a trivial pre-requisite for an entangle." Same with hunter.There's no 'sacrifice' to stall someone. Same argument as druid-barrier

While we're at it, pretty sure defiler entangle has no setup required. We'll put that on the docket for being horse patties too. I just hate to mention that since Garryn has trashed that profession.

Supplementary information: 
    -You can then entangle every other balance (which, if you factor in the writhe time is like every 1.5 balances)
    -You can still wisp, empower, shenanigans, circle (something unique to druid, see: the god combo)
    -You can't infuse tarot cards for reasons (See, druid everything else)
  • So, I've been looking at smokebomb recently, and how it's effected by the recent(ish?) changes of mask. Before there was any change, a predator who was emerged without a mask could craft a smokebomb(balance, can't be mounted), wield it, throw it to the ground, hide and secure mask. This was only able to be done when secure mask was able to be done off balance. With the change, after you throw the smokebomb, you only have time to do one action(hide OR secure mask).

Predation - Smokebomb

Syntax: CRAFT SMOKEBOMB
            THROW SMOKEBOMB AT GROUND
            THROW SMOKEBOMB <dir>
            EVADE <dir> WITH SMOKEBOMB

Requires: 1 iron

What I would like to see is two additions to smokebomb. The first would be:

THROW SMOKEBOMB HIDE

Which, as it may be obvious to some, would allow the user to hide upon impact of the smokebomb. This would allow the user to be hidden by the smoke dissipates, plus if there is no extended balance on it, would allow the user time to also SECURE MASK.

The second suggestion would obviously be:

THROW SMOKEBOMB MASK

Which would secure the user's mask upon impact of the smokebomb. The second suggestion is something that makes it more like secure mask use to be, which may or may not be what people want.

I would also like to point out at this time, that when one SECUREs their MASK, and then obfuscates, if they follow up by removing said secured mask, the obfuscate does not drop. Obfuscate should always drop without your mask being secured >.>
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited November 2014
    @garryn
    So, combat spam is totally a thing. I know we got rid of passive attacking pets but I still keep seeing:
    -treants
    -arcahnids
    -shadow (Pattern here?)
    -golems
    -34249 outrider pets. <-- rough estimate.
    *the case could be made, I only get hit by 1 set of rites. I should only get hit by 1 set of pets. Just sayin'.

I know the ambiance of a angry zoo of misplaced animals is super cool for the atmosphere, but this crap is nuts.

Khizan's sharp-clawed caracal is attacking Kryss.
    Khizan's ebony raven is attacking Kryss.
    Khizan's pronghorn antelope is attacking Kryss.
    Khizan's brooding vulture is attacking Kryss.
    Khizan's small sparrow is attacking Kryss.
    Khizan's brown striped hyena is attacking Kryss.
    Khizan longslashed Kryss.
    Septus lost rebounding.
    Septus's cunning coyote is attacking Kryss.
    Septus's lithe ferret is attacking Kryss.
    Septus's red-tailed hawk is attacking Kryss.
    Septus's thorny lizard is attacking Kryss.
    Septus's small sparrow is attacking Kryss.
    Septus's mountain lioness is attacking Kryss.
    Septus stabbed Kryss's body.
    Septus surged a mountain lioness.

^this is with reduced spam and WITHOUT the individual passive attacks.

EVERY. FREAKING. COMBO.  @garryn, pls.

Also, I know that prismatic barriers aren't killing as many people as incinerate did (~2) but I thin they're becoming a nuisance (across all of IRE). There are not many classes in this game that can break barriers. There are slightly more classes that can attack through barriers. This has lead to a really niche market where prismatic barriers are the bomb. If you're getting wrecked by a summoner, just strum that harp. ((rt plz2zergonme room #//strum lyre)). This gets worse when you're fighting in teams and you're effectively turtling out 90% of a team. Depending on your class passives, you come out smelling like a rose. If you're not one of the russian roulette legacy few, you are poop out of luck. NEXT TARGET. Oh wait, they prismatic'd too.

Now, apply all of this to super duper extra special aura. Which lets you actively heal behind prismatic barriers. This ability cost is chump change. The effect is stellar as it limits you to only being threatened by one of the few classes that can BREAK barriers and lets you tank through those that can penetrate.

It's unlikely you're going to reduce number of prismatic barriers in the game...so!
    #1. Release a global skill that breaks prismatic barriers.
    #1.b (Capitalism, Capitalism, CAPITALISM...HOOOOOOO) Release a new artifact called a prismatic needle. The message can be like popping a bubble. 250 credits.
    #2. Increase the number of skills that penetrate auras.
    #3. Give auras a cooldown.
    #4. Give auras a timer before they drop
    #5. Give auras a cooldown AND a timer that force drops it
    #infinity: (so it fits all options 1-5) Passives are globally paused for a person behind a barrier, excluding racial mana/health regeneration.

Quote: Classlead 104

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Decision:
    All circles have ways to bypass or remove the prismatic barrier effect. If any is lacking, I'm fine with adding more means to deal with the effect.

It's lacking.

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited November 2014
    @Garryn also some QOL bs

When I dsl ahkan ciguatoxin aconite, it uses 1 dose of ciguatoxin and 1 dose of aconite

Shamanism - Inhibit
    Syntax: DUSTTHROW INHIBIT <target>
    Required bone dust: 3 yellow, 1 red  (I can see the argument for 2 affs, 2 dust, but 4. Dude.)

Shamanism - Slow
    Syntax: DUSTTHROW SLOW <target>
    Required bone dust: 1 purple, 1 blue

Shamanism - Command
    Syntax: DUSTTHROW COMMAND <target> <action>
    Required bone dust: 1 gold, 1 blue  (sup clarity, how you doin bb)

Basically, dear shamanism. 1 effect, 1 bone dust. Thx.

Edit: Important to mention things like worm blacken have 0 commodity cost. (Logic here. Compare to inhibit)

• IniarIniar Australia
    edited November 2014
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Is there a remote possibility of classleading pentagrams last longer for Diabolists? If not, I would like to suggest an artifact for Diabolists to have their pentagrams last much, much longer than they do.
  • edited November 2014
    Most definitely. I think pentagrams should last until dispelled and so should the associated demons. The whole mechanic is incredibly old and clunky to begin with. I feel like this is an obvious change that shouldn't require a classlead slot, since the whole diabolist class is in desperate need of a tune-up to the modern game standards, but it is what it is.

RE: Ahkan's complaint, having just started to play around with wytch, I can't help but feel like the class was intentionally designed around the artifact functionality. Tablets are a nightmare to manage because they have charges, limited applications per tablet, different needs for wielding tablets vs. in inventory, different cooldowns, and then along comes the artifact runic tablet that solves most of these artificial problems! Rejoice!

Bonedust requires an absurd amount of ink commodities to manage - I blew through roughly a hundred inks just in the process of testing and setting up my offense, if you include inks that must also be spent on runes. Along comes the prismatic sieve, to make using half of my attacks not require a linked bank account. Rejoice!

Personal solution: colored dust should be made using crushed herbs, not ink commodities. It fits the class' theme far better, stops us from having to double dip into ink expenditures no other class has to deal with, and ties in with the fact that wytch gets a bonus to harvesting.

• Get Kanthari to make all your bone dust for you, since Kanthari has a sieve.

It doesn't solve the big problem, but it will at least solve your immediate one.

• IniarIniar Australia
    Wait till you start hearing the callsfor Vortex on ring. Then you'll really appreciate a good vintage greenink. :(
  • IniarIniar Australia
    @Garryn, @Jeremy:

How are you planning to balance around flipboots now that it is a general release artifact?
  • Ahkan said:
    It's unlikely you're going to reduce number of prismatic barriers in the game...so!
    #1. Release a global skill that breaks prismatic barriers.
    #1.b (Capitalism, Capitalism, CAPITALISM...HOOOOOOO) Release a new artifact called a prismatic needle. The message can be like popping a bubble. 250 credits.
    #2. Increase the number of skills that penetrate auras.
    #3. Give auras a cooldown.
    #4. Give auras a timer before they drop
    #5. Give auras a cooldown AND a timer that force drops it
    #infinity: (so it fits all options 1-5) Passives are globally paused for a person behind a barrier, excluding racial mana/health regeneration.

Regarding prismatic change options:  Why not just give it a limit to the damage it can soak up before it bursts and provide 33%/66% messages for it weakening or something.  It essentially maintains it's same intended (and purchased) uses in 1v1, but would be less useful when getting dogpiled with bazillion damage team claymore.
  • Attacking a prismatic barrier does not consume balance or equilibrium, so causing it to absorb damage (and thus have the attack actually delivered, consuming balance/eq) would actually make it a much more powerful tool. There's no penalty for attacking a prismatic right now so you're able to swap targets.

Prismatic does not need a buff in any way, shape or form. A global counter or other limiter is essential at this point.

• I liked Sagron's idea.
  • Wysrias said:
    Attacking a prismatic barrier does not consume balance or equilibrium, so causing it to absorb damage (and thus have the attack actually delivered, consuming balance/eq) would actually make it a much more powerful tool. There's no penalty for attacking a prismatic right now so you're able to swap targets.

Prismatic does not need a buff in any way, shape or form. A global counter or other limiter is essential at this point.
    I'm not saying it shouldn't have CD or whatever as well, just was commenting on a mechanic to break it in the first place.
  • Cassius said:
    Wysrias said:
    Attacking a prismatic barrier does not consume balance or equilibrium, so causing it to absorb damage (and thus have the attack actually delivered, consuming balance/eq) would actually make it a much more powerful tool. There's no penalty for attacking a prismatic right now so you're able to swap targets.

I'm not saying it shouldn't have CD or whatever as well, just was commenting on a mechanic to break it in the first place.
    I get what you're saying, I'm just pointing out that attacking a prismatic barrier returns "You are repelled by the prismatic barrier surrounding blah blah" and unlike hitting a shield, there's no equilibrium knock for hitting it. In order to reasonably deliver damage (and thus prevent a screen of spam attacking to break the barrier), attacking it to deliver damage to the barrier would have to consume your balance/eq for that round. This would be a big upgrade to prismatic because there's no 'touch hammer' analog that would reward proper tracking; you would be forced to use up presumably several rounds of balance/eq to break the barrier.