Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    I wish there were a way to make the ouroboros bypass water, since I'm essentially riding a demon that's floating above the ground anyways but somehow still have to swim.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I ran into that problem today and really irritated. :<
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    edited January 2015
    Certain items (flipboots and raksha band, the most prominent that I can name) could be moderated better if playerbase chose to consider these taboo and not acquire them. Instead, I've witnessed numerous times (myself included, unfortunately) that we blame the admin for not moderating these better.

It's like someone buying a sports car, using it to out run the cops a dozen times before getting caught, and then blaming the companies for allowing them even possess the car in the first place.

Of course, we label it 'white knighting', but really it's more about personal responsibility and self control at this point.

I know it won't change a thing. People will still use it just cause they have it or that it is available to use, so why not abuse it?

Food for thought.

• edited January 2015
    I ended up getting flipboots after asking how to get out of a room my enemies have pulled me into if they've sealed the exits and are auto-tentacling/using other no fly abilities.  

Sometimes I can pilg out, which is great, but due to the EQ cost of converging rites, and the tendency for people to keep their rites paused most of the time, pilg is often unavailable just when you need it most.  In short, if I can't pilg out, the answer I was told by several people was that there *was* no way out other than death or a pair of flipboots.  So, I got flipboots, still die :P
  • So, I got flipboots, still die

You have a reasonable shot to counter boots if you use blocks and have access to a piety-like skill, or the wearer can't deal with flood, but queuing up a shard disrupt red $dir<frontflip $dir<backflip $dir is generally the golden ticket (I have dismount in my command, but pretty sure the frontflip attempt auto dismounts).
    “We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • edited January 2015
    I was wondering if I needed to use a red shard based on reading shard skills.  Mostly, though, I still die because I panic (*flap*).  For example, last time it happened, I kept trying to use an alias from my little dude in Lusternia, so, really not the evil flipboots' fault at all!  In short, if you dislike flipboots, you can at least comfort yourself that there are people like me who buy them.  
  • Red shard will break it with no balance so you don't have to wait to flip out.
  • edited January 2015
    Since circles are most likely not going anywhere it would be nice to have some events to rekindle faction on faction hate. No one around really have recent scars to give validity to the divide. Kinsarmar hates demonic because why? Stavenn ruled/owned Kinsarmar a few hundred years ago? Stavenn's relationship at this point may as well be a less friendly version of the US/UK relationship, or likely more fitting the England/Scotland relationship a few centuries back. Everything that made them hate each other is so long dead that it's nonsensical to hate. No one benefits from the three faction split in my opinion. And as with before I'm sure a lot of people will disagree. But if we're going to have factions it would be -really- nice to have something more up to date to generate the disharmony that would perpetuate such an environment.
  • Will work some of that into the events we have planned.

• Comparing flip boots and raksha bands :( This makes me sad. The players didn't release them. White knights blame all the wrong problems. You need to play Imperian like Belichick approaches football. 
  • Mathiaus said:
    Certain items (flipboots and raksha band, the most prominent that I can name) could be moderated better if playerbase chose to consider these taboo and not acquire them. Instead, I've witnessed numerous times (myself included, unfortunately) that we blame the admin for not moderating these better.

It's like someone buying a sports car, using it to out run the cops a dozen times before getting caught, and then blaming the companies for allowing them even possess the car in the first place.

Of course, we label it 'white knighting', but really it's more about personal responsibility and self control at this point.

I know it won't change a thing. People will still use it just cause they have it or that it is available to use, so why not abuse it?

Food for thought.

This is fairly amusing to me.  Dude plays one of the cheesiest classes in a game full of cheesy classes, throws out so much disable that it's basically impossible for most classes to push an offense through it, has an offense that's pretty much immune to being disabled and passive afflictions out the wazoo... and the people flip booting away from it are the cheesemasters who should show self restraint for the good of his PK exp the game.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    Not sure why prone deadeyes is ok. :(
  • Can we get the keyword that comes with the item number on ih along with the gmcp data?
  • I'd also kill for a left|right hand indicator on things that are wielded. Otherwise, I'm making a LOT of assumptions on each wield, assuming which is being wielded in which hand, etc. Makes handling Metrazol a lot harder than it should be.

Or, you could always just give me more specific info in Quickdraw. Like item number or short name. =D
  • edited January 2015
    I'd also kill for a left|right hand indicator on things that are wielded. Otherwise, I'm making a LOT of assumptions on each wield, assuming which is being wielded in which hand, etc. Makes handling Metrazol a lot harder than it should be.

Or, you could always just give me more specific info in Quickdraw. Like item number or short name. =D
    With current functionality, you can specify how to quickdraw (order based on how you specified and LEFT/RIGHT) and also check with WIELDED.
  • edited January 2015
    I'd still like it in the gmcp, personally.

For more gmcp stuff - would be nice to have the room info provide a tag for outdoors or indoors. Perhaps a "sigil" tag as well.
  • Most of the QoL things I suggest aren't so much because something isn't possible, it's because I'm trying to reduce the complexity of tracking simple things(belief change, etc).

You COULD send "quickdraw kite sabre|think checking wield|wielded" (the think is because otherwise, your WIELDED trigger will also fire on things like "II stone" and will clear your wielded variables), build a multiline trigger to parse it, etc etc. Or, you can try to implement gmcp but that requires building a full inventory manager to handle the gmcp.Char.Items calls and even then, you have to ASSUME you know what order you are wielding things. Quickdraw will try to wield in your left hand first, but if you've got metrazol that doesn't work. Otherwise, you can mostly assume that anything getting wielded is going into the left hand first then right hand after that, but then the following situation will track wrong(gmcp output received before you see the actual Wield line):

<496/496h 365/381m 0b <eb db> <0 0>> 29.68 0 [Undead AU 0m 0bp] unwield left\unwield right\wield right shield\wield sabre

inv.Update({"id":"171133","name":"a curved sabre"})
    inv.Update({"id":"22191","name":"a banded shield","attrib":"W"})
    inv.Update({"id":"22191","name":"a banded shield","attrib":"Wl"})
    inv.Update({"id":"171133","name":"a curved sabre","attrib":"l"})
    You cease wielding a curved sabre in your left hand.
    You cease wielding a banded shield in your right hand.
    You are now holding a banded shield in your right hand.
    You begin to wield a curved sabre in your left hand.

All of these solutions are far more complicated than it seems like this task should require. There are a few possible solutions, one of them(not my favorite) being putting item numbers in quickdraw and wield(or make it an option). That would make it possible to track wielding regardless of metrazol 100% accurate with just one trigger for each skill that can modify what you're wielding. It takes away the need to mess with multiline triggers(or state tracking if you don't want to use your clients multiline capabilities) and takes away the need to track all the gmcp.Char.Items.Add|Remove|Update|List calls.

As a better and more graceful solution, I still suggest just adding "gmcp.Char.Vitals.wieldLeft" and "gmcp.Char.Vitals.wieldRight". It has a number of advantages and is trivial for a young new player to make use of. It's an easy introductory task to implement for novices that are willing to learn how to use GMCP. It eliminates all the WIELD, WIELDED, SECURE, QUICKWIELD, etc handling that you'd have to put in otherwise. On top of those reasons, it obviates the need to farm the necessary messages(including pred edgehook and other extremely rare cases you want to be able to handle). Handling Metrazol as a knight then becomes implementing a super easy conditional at the start of your DSL alias(something like 'if gmcp.Char.Vitals.wieldLeft:match("sabre") and metrazolLimb=="left" then rewield() elseif gmcp.Char.Vitals.wieldRight:match("sabre") and metrazolLimb=="right" then rewield() end'). I know it's possible since Aet already sends that information through gmcp, so it's just a matter of getting it tossed into the massive to-do piles that exist.
  • Kabaal said:

For more gmcp stuff - would be nice to have the room info provide a tag for outdoors or indoors. Perhaps a "sigil" tag as well.
    There is already a way to determine whether a monolith sigil (which is what I assume you are asking about) is in the room via gmcp using gmcp.Char.Items.  You would parse for that information just like you would parse for any other in-room object. 

• edited January 2015
    Ultrix said:
    Kabaal said:

There is already a way to determine whether a monolith sigil (which is what I assume you are asking about) is in the room via gmcp using gmcp.Char.Items.  You would parse for that information just like you would parse for any other in-room object.
    Dicene said:
    Most of the QoL things I suggest aren't so much because something isn't possible, it's because I'm trying to reduce the complexity of tracking simple things(belief change, etc).

E: Been trying to clarify for a minute but I suck at foruming. For the sigil check, my thought was to make a check for mono/haze/holy type effect. AFAIK, holy has no item, so that's an extra bit of work to get the information, and then anything else that mimics the effect. I can do it no problem, but I'm all about reducing the amount of coding and message gathering necessary for everyone wherever possible.
  • Dicene said:
     Otherwise, you can mostly assume that anything getting wielded is going into the left hand first then right hand after that, but then the following situation will track wrong(gmcp output received before you see the actual Wield line):
    Not saying I wouldn't appreciate improvements; however, since it seems you didn't know, you can specify the wield order for quickdraw by appending left/right to the end.  See AB QUICKDRAW.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Not trying to be argumentative, but the sigil effect is at most 7 triggers. A disruptor fork, on the other hand...
  • Kabaal said:
    E: Been trying to clarify for a minute but I suck at foruming. For the sigil check, my thought was to make a check for mono/haze/holy type effect. AFAIK, holy has no item, so that's an extra bit of work to get the information, and then anything else that mimics the effect. I can do it no problem, but I'm all about reducing the amount of coding and message gathering necessary for everyone wherever possible.
    I think there is a difference between gmcp being used for metadata that is for small(er) quality of life improvements vs. things that really amount to situational awareness and whatnot. I would categorize what you are asking for as something falling in the latter category and do not think it should be made part of gmcp data.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Agreed. I happened to parse gmcp data for sigils etc (cause I could) but my simple color triggers are waaaaaay more useful.
  • There's no difference between a flag that I toggle through 7 or # triggers and one that is registered through gmcp. If "situational awareness" is trigger collection, then you could slippery slope that to no need for gmcp at all :P. Now, if something is deliberately hidden, then no, I don't think it should be in gmcp.
  • The availability of that data in gmcp already mimics the accessible IG data, which I think is the point.
  • Dicene said:
    Otherwise, you can mostly assume that anything getting wielded is going into the left hand first then right hand after that,
    Why are you assuming anything? Quickdraw explicitly tells you what is being wielded in which hand and it allows you to specify which hand you want to wield things in. There is no need to assume anything here.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited January 2015
    @garryn @eoghan

Ball park figure is that there are ~20 classlead reports yet to be completed. Are we waiting 100% on these so we can cram this in with the knight-beta? Can we just run a quick beta on those 20 pending classleads so they can get the necessary amount of attention and NOT let things slip through the cracks when we're spread too thin?

We all know that we have to go through umpteen beta misdirections that make a beta a beta. There's far too much on the plate with just a knight classlead to do a good job on the classleads, not to mention the solutions are already expressed and explained. It would give the illusion of forward momentum and clear up our schedule to do a better job evaluating every class that could possibly wield a weapon.

Also, related to improving the game, we could discuss:
    -Scaling back artifact impacts on the game
    -Delete the Diadem of the Quickening as an available artifact.
  • The idea of removing or lessening the necessity of the Diadem was shot down already in this past classlead session, but I really think it'd be a great idea in the long run. Aff speed shouldn't really be dependent on artifacts IMO. Either you have the class balanced around having that artifact and everyone without is significantly subpar at afflicting(see Runeguard, Mage, probably Summoner), or you have classes that are closer to balanced without the artifact and just insane with(see Renegade/Assassin, maybe also Pred). It makes balancing these classes harder, and things like getting full aff speed should be less about artifact investment and more about decisions and making trade-offs(Fast vs Athletic, Lich vs Ghoul/Wight/Ghast, etc).
  • Couldn't agree more.  And I have one.