Skip to content

Death Changes

Comments

• Affliction professions are in a shitty place right now and everything is going to be exacerbated on them.

Problem 1: They're balanced around being squishy. They were given hinders to avoid being squishy. Game is moving away from hinders. Problem is the DPS is still there and the tanking hasn't arrived yet.

Problem 2: They have to be better/more organized/more competent than your run of the mill damage-bot: (Druid, mage, any am class)

Problem 3: Most of their kill methods take time and set up. Problem is, they can barely last that long (especially in teams).

Problem 4: It's way easier to play anything in AM, mage/druid than it is to bother trying to code an affliction offense and/or deal with "why do I die so fast?" To which the answer is "Bash to aspect, surcoat, level 2 con, level 3 belt."
  • edited October 2013
    I completely agree and think we should do away with this idea that affliction professions should be balanced around being squishy. With the focus on combat being pushed towards team combat, damage-professions benefit greatly without having to coordinate. Affliction professions have to coordinate in order to gain any benefit from each other and yet the rewards for doing so have been and are currently diminishing with the coming of new things like autocuring, damage penalty, removal of affliction hinders and hinders in general. Don't get me wrong, every single one of these new things are great, but they're pushing an already massive circle imbalance even further which is not very healthy for the game overall.
  • What if in all affliction profession skillsets(or a general skillset), there was a generic "X afflictions" channeled instant kill that would be shorter the more afflictions on the target?

Every time someone came back from death, this speed would increase per death, like the health malus.
  • Tbh, I don't get the issue with people cheesing their way through bosses. I did them properly and had a blast, but some people just want achievements. As long as they're not hurting anyone else (and we can all point and laugh at their scrolling deathsight), I'm not sure it really matters. (Pretty much the same as when people were complaining about Dias completing arena game achievements. People might not like it, but it really has no impact at the end of the day.)

Balance penalty would be good for an offensive penalty. This is overall better than damage penalty IMO, because who cares if hinderbot x y or z does 0 damage.

• AzefelAzefel Singapore
    edited October 2013
    Just change the penalty to priests' obliviousness (+incoming damage, +herb balance). Or every death takes away 25% affinity and it comes back like 1% per 10 seconds or something. And make affinity update more often than once per hour or whatever the terrible interval is now.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Eh, with anchor, I barely notice the problems with death at the moment. Those with Aryana of course suffer with this more since they come back at the same spot (which I've seen a good many do). This feels justified however due to the apparent advantage it gives them.

Like Khizan's mentioned, we normally have to wait for the non anchors anyways and gives the Aryana team plenty of time for cooldown.
  • After more field testing:

-The debuff is a snooze. 70s? That's about how long it takes to redef, reject grace and regroup. I was able to portal back in before the fight ended, without my debuff.
    -Aryana is retarded. Plz fix.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited October 2013
    Also a problem with the AM-zerg

He is worth 50% PK experience to you for 32 minutes.
    He is worth 75% PK experience to you for 35 minutes. <-- Different dude

Worst pinatas ever.
  • @Khizan I'm definitely happier with that option... make it apply only to PvP... get rid of the debuffs... repurpose Aryana obelisk... We're golden.
  • Just want to highlight the awkward silence that follows empirical evidence.
  • Two things I think most people could get behind:

- When you aryana back into a combat room, no grace for you. Combatants should never be graced in the room combat is going on in. I can't even be mad at those that are graced in the room since it's not immediately their fault.

- CONFIG AUTOGRACE OFF. I can't beg enough for this option. Grace is only useful like, 0.01% of the time. It should be opt-in if you need it(being trolled or unable to get through raider group blocking entrance to your city), not default so it causes accidental run-into-combat-graced problems and adds another 6-second eq cost when prepping. Feel free to add another 5+ seconds to falling time make up for removing it by default.

*don't apply CONFIG AUTOGRACE to arena stuff, since that would be bad and lead to accidental post-event injury.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited October 2013
    That doesn't solve the problem. It's not an issue of "I can't hit them." We can hit them just fine.The problem is AM (whoever holds Aryana) is spawning as fast as you kill them, if not faster. Your solution actually reduces their spawn time because they don't have to reject grace.

Grace is good for times when you bump into a jerkface or a mob on a warpath. Both have poor decision making skills and would kill you just as fast as you could rezz.
  • Ahkan said:
    That doesn't solve the problem. It's not an issue of "I can't hit them." We can hit them just fine.The problem is AM (whoever holds Aryana) is spawning as fast as you kill them, if not faster. Your solution actually reduces their spawn time because they don't have to reject grace.

"Feel free to add another 5+ seconds to falling time to make up for removing it by default."

Grace is good for times when you bump into a jerkface or a mob on a warpath. Both have poor decision making skills and would kill you just as fast as you could rezz.

"It should be opt-in if you need it(being trolled or unable to get through raider group blocking entrance to your city)"
    Both of those were addressed in my post. These suggestions have nothing to do with the general zerg problem. They're merely to fix things that are annoyances and are related to death(topic of discussion).

People shouldn't be portaled into and graced deffing in a combat room, it's confusing and annoying(even if just minorly). Mostly a symptom of Aryana being bad, but that doesn't mean we can't band-aid it until Aryana gets changed again(if/when).

With 20-second death cycle time and 0 xp loss, there is almost no situation I can think of where I need grace. Easiest way to fix the annoyance of dealing with grace(as someone renouncing it, or as someone in a shardfall that targets someone that forgot to drop grace) is to add a blanket 6(or 5 or 10 if you want an even 25 or 30 number) seconds of fall time to everyone and just add CONFIG GRACE. You're adjusting the fall speed variable, adding a boolean config option, and adding a conditional before applying grace after death. I know dealing with Grace isn't a major inconvenience, but it's a very easy solution.
  • edited October 2013
    Base 20 second respawn, then 60, then 90, then 120, etc, etc(or adjust to a certain scale peaking at X) if you die again within 5 minutes?

Obviously differing numbers, but that seems like it would help, if you were penalized a longer time before you can return with consecutive deaths.
  • If you're reentering graced, you're doing it wrong.

You can renounce in the death room. If anyone is being stupid enough to renounce grace with its huge eq in room with a bunch of enemies then they're handicapping themselves. I'd even go so far as to say you shouldn't be able to renounce in the death room (but this is more a symptom of the problem with aryana obelisk). In those fights yesterday I would literally renounce, request passage  right before recovering eq, keep hitting x.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but there also seems to be some weird situation where you instantly appear in the death room. Usually it takes about 30 seconds or whatever, but a couple times (for no reason I could determine) you'd go straight there after about five seconds.

But yeah, Aryana Obelisk. Really bad. You can spend like 20 seconds at least trying to put down a turtling tanky target (anyone with numb, for instance). Having that person back before you even finish dropping the next target is just frustrating.

• @Dicene They weren't, but ok. You're addressing and incredibly minute problem for a minority of players. The big question here is, "Who cares?" Considering you haven't played for very long and haven't really been subject to the actual toxic  behavior of our playerbase, you don't really have the background/understanding/concept how awesome those two minutes really are. I like graced and I'm actually in favour of a 'grace period' after a certain number of deaths because it forces a player to get their head on straight before doing something retarded. The rest of the time, like bashing (see: not guard) deaths shouldn't put grace on people if they don't want it. For everything else PvP related, I think it would be a huge mistake to move away from "cannot enter hostile commands."

@Septus Haha, shit. I didn't know it worked any other way. Every time I've died I've landed in the death room in 5s and rezzed then. 
  • I've attended two shardfalls since death changes and have attacked no fewer than three targets that had reentered graced. Even if CONFIG GRACE doesn't become a thing, get rid of grace on Aryana entrance until such a time that Aryana changes. Still not heard any objection to it.
  • I think you should be kept out of the fight for at least a minute on your first death. Preferably 90 seconds, anchor reduces this to 60.

If I kill you in a teamfight and we recover your body, that should keep you out of the teamfight for a decent amount of time. It should be enough time to capitalize on your death.

Here's what I suggest:
    Coming back from death peaces you for at least a minute even with an anchor, maybe more. Being peaced will make you unable to pick up bodies. However, if your team recovers your body, they can burn ~4s of eq and RELEASE SPIRIT OF DUDE on you, and that will consume the body to immediately unpeace you. Maybe remove the death penalty. Maybe limit this to combat-rezz skills used on the body. 

Overall, you keep getting out of Dis in 20 seconds. You get that time to def up and prepare and summon ents and such. However, it denies you the ability to leap immediately back into the teamfight unless your team was both able to recover your body and aware enough to release you, which is basically how bodies and rezz worked. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Dicene said:
    I've attended two shardfalls since death changes and have attacked no fewer than three targets that had reentered graced. Even if CONFIG GRACE doesn't become a thing, get rid of grace on Aryana entrance until such a time that Aryana changes. Still not heard any objection to it.
    I'm not seeing the problem here. They can't attack. They can't harvest shards. They can't help their team. They sit there like a bump on a log until they stupidly reject grace (sacrificing 6s of eq) and get mowed down. The more hilarious alternative to this is they sit there graced for two minutes and die alone.

In Dicene's world where they config grace off, they're hitting you and you die. Then they go sit outside Celidon and kill you again because you emoted "duh" at them in combat and this was clearly a racial slur.
  • Mkay, I don't know yet what changes we'll end up making, if any (that's up to @Jeremy to decide), but just to clarify - are the described issues (people returning to fights instantly, etc) occurring universally, or are they specific to the Aryana obelisk functionality?
  • The Aryana Obelisk makes it much worse and much more evident. This is why I say change it to something else.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Aryana is the biggest issue I think. Experienced people are still going to get back in the melee insanely fast though (and these are the people who you really should be rewarded for killing by having them not hitting you with a bus for at least a little while).

Previously there was always that tactical decision: do we kill this offensive powerhouse first who can tank and potentially sacrifice one of our team but then have an easy time cleaning up his entourage, or do we take out a bunch of the little guys quickly then focus on the higher profile ones. That's not really viable now. If you focus that high profile person down (who almost undoubtedly has an anchor), you'll likely bleed a good bunch of your smaller people (who probably don't have anchors), and your only guarantee is that enemy A player is going to be back beating on you in 30 seconds or so with a defensive debuff he can likely tank the way through.

This cenario doesn't seem too bad until you put in having two of these artied/tanky people, at which point the team who can get back in the fight quickest (the one with Aryana) is just going to outlast you. If you're taking 20 seconds or so (that's a generous estimation given lyres/general turtling potential) to drop one tanky person and they're rolling with multiples of these people, by the time you kill one you can be almost sure that the other one is back.

That said, anyone with a clientside speedwalker that batches move commands is going to be able to replicate the Aryana situation to a significant degree in most cases.

• TBH, I'm surprised we've "won" any of these shardfalls. Part of this might be that AM is willing to go back in with malus, while most of Magick will just stand at regroup spot until the malus is gone. AM will blast the combat with their fighters until every single fighter has a malus, and then they'll retreat for a few minutes and we'll gather shards. Magick hangs back after their first death(with a few exceptions) and all go back all at once meaning that you get a harvesting window each time you clear the Magick team.

Septus said:

That said, anyone with a clientside speedwalker that batches move commands is going to be able to replicate the Aryana situation to a significant degree in most cases.

The malus isn't enough to keep Brishi/Septus/myself(to a lesser degree)/"anyone with a speedwalker or decent portal ability" from coming back until he's stacked multiple deaths. Changing Aryana might make this less of a problem, but I'm thinking a thicker malus or (as Khizan suggested) a forced longer grace. Maybe even lengthen grace with each death? You could even just not add the longer grace until the second death if you really want these longer combat rounds.
  • edited October 2013
    Garryn said:
    Mkay, I don't know yet what changes we'll end up making, if any (that's up to @Jeremy to decide), but just to clarify - are the described issues (people returning to fights instantly, etc) occurring universally, or are they specific to the Aryana obelisk functionality?
    Aryana makes it worse, but anybody with a decent speedwalker is going to be almost as effective as Aryana. Khizan can cover something like 5-6 rooms/second and he has a portal wand. 

So, even discounting Aryana, it is still problematic. Prior to this change, without Aryana, killing me would make me take Nyrroth for a downtime of approximately ~2 minutes. Now I can be back in the fight in ~30 seconds, which is quick enough that they might have just taken down another heavily artifacted guy before having to deal with me again. And when I die again, the other artifacted dude will be back. It egts a bit ridiculous, especially when you consider that Khizan taking 50% more damage than normal is still quite possibly tankier than some of the people in Magick.

And on the flip side, a lot of the squishy people are so squishy that their penalty is basically meaningless. When you die in two good hits with a zero percent debuff, you might as well just keep charging back at a high one, because every time they slap you down, they're not hitting somebody else.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I thought the malus would be enough to discourage people from rezzing and running off to pk more. It's a really hard problem to address.

+bal/+eq
    At first glance, this seems like it would help. The problem is that you can over come this with raw numbers. It doesn't matter if you hit slow, the fact is you're hitting for 100% value.Your overall dps drops, but the burst is still there.  (Aka: Why Brishi and Cordilia can damage down single targets together with 0 setup.) 

% damage output reduction
    The short falling here is you can still stack the deck to overcome this. It also doesn't address affliction/second output that bal/eq takes care of.

Khizan outlined the problem pretty well. In team combat, the predominant form, your 'buddies' are going to offset your malus, especially when the downtime for death is between 5-20s. We have to remember that 20s is really only like 4 rounds of actual combat. That's not a very long down time.

Honestly, I think we should 'stack' offensive maluses and/or have an enforced grace/no-attack period after a certain number of consecutive deaths. 

Ahkan has been slain by Cordilia.
    Ahkan has been slain by Azefel
    You cannot reject grace for 2 minutes. 

People aren't going to like it because they're not getting the chance to defend their monolith, defend their obelisk, deny magick/demonic shards. That's unfortunate. They should have fought better and won the first 1,2,3 engagements before they got grace penaltied.

• I think of everything mentioned a forced PVP grace would work best ... maybe have it on a stacking timer? All the maluses that have been mentioned so far seem like they are going to hurt everyone else more than they will hurt AM? For reasons you've already outlined...
  • Ahkan said:
    People aren't going to like it because they're not getting the chance to defend their monolith, defend their obelisk, deny magick/demonic shards. That's unfortunate. They should have fought better and won the first 1,2,3 engagements before they got grace penaltied.

If you don't want to deal with the consequences of losing, you should try not losing, imo.

• edited October 2013

It's been a while since these changes went live.

For the most part, I am fine with them. However, Aryana Obelisk can go to hell. I'm done with group PvP until it's fixed. Seeing my teammates getting absolved by Kliko ~26 seconds after killing Kliko and picking up his body is absolutely infuriating. There's no way to win an even fight when one side has that stupidly huge advantage and I am goddamned done with trying to fight against it.

Somebody let me know when they make world PvP worthwhile again.