Skip to content

Classlead Hashout Late 2013

Comments

• Originally powersoul lasted for one minute, and that made some timing annoying, because you couldn't just refresh powersoul in the middle of it. So if your timing is off for whatever reason (hindering, etc), then that was a bit of a pinch. I never thought that they would actually make powersoul on 100% of the time, which made the class extraordinarily easymode after the fact. My primary suggestion was just to allow a command to refresh the timer for a higher endurance cost (normal old powersoul: around 1% of my endurance?).

I'll grant that barkskin was pretty shameless. That happened around the shield changes that took note of strength, which made Athletic and Fast Rangers a bit softer.

As is, if you are smart, you should be able to shut a Ranger down still (parry). Khizan has a point about the damage, but that existed before the changes I mentioned. I wanted to suggest that powersoul be made into something else that sacrificed damage for speed, but always-on powersoul was apparently the easier Admin fix.
  • To be honest, not sure if everyone knew the exact value of barkskin before resists check. I'm still surprised at that 15-18% (don't remember right now)
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    I don't know why people feel obligatd to have powersoul up 100% of the time anyway. Just tipslash limbs til 1 hit from breaking, put up powersoul, win.
  • If they wear limb armor you can just plimb. Even easier.
  • I want to remove the need to train your Knight pet, maybe one session per skill. It is much too time consuming.

Either that, or give experienced players an alternative syntax to take a fully trained one from the hatchery/kennel.
  • You know what would be neat?

If templar purity effects could be doubled up on a weapon and/or proc at the same time.

Also, 47 damage per slash is a little steep. It's better than soulquench. I'm really torn on the "force you to use runes" and "punish you to use runes" mechanic. You use runes to balance my classes...
  • The rune punishment thing is a terrible mechanic. "Hey, you know those runes we balance your class around? Well now they let the enemy deal more damage to you. Oh, your weapon etchings? Haha, we don't want to give you TOO much damage, so they're going to continue to be borderline useless afflictions! "

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Personally I'd rather see runes for non runelore classes (and blessings for devo ones for that matter) made only useable by those classes and classes scaled up (if necessary) in the tanking department to accommodate. Balancing the defensive potential of a class around whether they have a def from a third party source is always going to come with problems. Namely, can I kill this person in three hits if they don't have it or (on the other end of the spectrum), should I bother trying to kill this person as a damage prof.

That's probably beyond the scope of classleads though.

• AzefelAzefel Singapore
    is the damage based on how many runes are active?
  • IIRC, Juran said it was. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited August 2013
    With Nairat and Loshre sharing the same cooldown, there isn't need to classlead them any longer in my opinion.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited August 2013
    Today's rant: Evasion.

Problem: Being prone or otherwise hindered reduces the damage resistance of Evasion by half.

This is a spin off of my "ciguatoxin is dumb" argument, but essentially, hinder and crowd control are huge mechanisms that factor into heavy use for a lot of classes. Khizan can tell you how every affliction class is like 'lol, you can't hit me.' Every affliction class in this game has ciguatoxin placed firmly in the top 1-3 affliction priorities. Most of the time you get hit, it's going to hinder you and remove 50% of your evasion bonus. This is why the "racial resist" > dexterity bonus. You can't negate that. Ever. There's no incentive to buying into a high dext race or dext boosting stats, because more often than not, your opponent is ignoring that due to damage type or hinder/cc. That dext bonus? Yeah. Not so much. You paid 300 credits for a damage resist buff you're going to lose in 90% of pk encounters.

Also: This makes kipup a HUGE boon for classes. Why? They can't stand while off balance. Kipup --> no bal/no eq 50% damage resist increase.

Solution: Remove the 50% malus to being prone or hindered. If need be, tone down the evasion damage resist formula so low dext races see less benefit. (AKA: ALL OF THEM), but that's a different argument.

To devil's advocate myself...I think there's too many types of damage resistance floating around this game. Which makes for terrible balance decisions and classlead ideas. Case in point: Predator knives that do telepathy damage.  Though honestly, if we stream lined general damage resistance we could actually balance damage resistance in specific classes.

tl;dr: Evasion bonus should always be on.  (which may lead to it being toned down)
  • We can probably condense the mini-skill resistances into: Elemental(Frost/thermology/galvanism), Resilience(Constitution/Fitness/Philosophy), and Antidotes. 
  • Low dex races already have just a 10% reduction. Reduce it further and it becomes a "Why bother?" skill, which is pretty bad design.

• Gurn said:
    We can probably condense the mini-skill resistances into: Elemental(Frost/thermology/galvanism), Resilience(Constitution/Fitness/Philosophy), and Antidotes. 
    Remove antidotes, roll Purge Blood into Survival. Reduce the combat buy-in.

• I always wanted to just make Purge Blood and Focus an Inept skill in each of their categories, and raising your skill rank made them faster. I could also see Purge Blood in Survival.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • That would be awesome, to be honest. It lets newbies get exposed to curing long before they start having to worry about it.

Gurn's idea also significantly reduces the buy in for Imperian, which probably makes people spend more money.

A lot of people don't want to drop 700 credits for resists, and 300 for survival, because it's not really -that- rewarding. If you knock that to @Gurn's idea, that's looking like 50% cheaper. That 500cr will then get people to buy into low tier artifacts or multi-class...which leads them to buy more artifacts or tri-trans more guild skills.

It also gets people involved in higher levels of pk earlier, which starts the I want to be better, faster mentality sooner in the players career. You'd probably see an uptick of purchases since people are getting involved in the meat and potatoes of the game earlier.
  • Ahkan said:
    It also gets people involved in higher levels of pk earlier, which starts the I want to be better, faster mentality sooner in the players career. You'd probably see an uptick of purchases since people are getting involved in the meat and potatoes of the game earlier.
    I'd be more likely to skill up alts if it wasn't as much of an investment for each, as well.
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • You think that. But no, you'd still hate it.

It's basically impossible to go from our tier of artifacts to 'just' trans most of your skills.

• Khizan said:
    You think that. But no, you'd still hate it.

It's basically impossible to go from our tier of artifacts to 'just' trans most of your skills.
    This is why I rarely play alts, but I'd play them slightly more if I didn't have to save up my elite for a bajillion months to get trans skills.
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • Ahkan said:
    That would be awesome, to be honest. It lets newbies get exposed to curing long before they start having to worry about it.

Gurn's idea also significantly reduces the buy in for Imperian, which probably makes people spend more money.

A lot of people don't want to drop 700 credits for resists, and 300 for survival, because it's not really -that- rewarding. If you knock that to @Gurn's idea, that's looking like 50% cheaper. That 500cr will then get people to buy into low tier artifacts or multi-class...which leads them to buy more artifacts or tri-trans more guild skills.

I still have no intention in transing out all my of miniskills, because the credit/usefulness ratio just isn't worth it for me. Upgrading health artifacts does significantly more for about the same price.
  • I'd beg to differ, but then again, my only non-trans miniskill is Galvanism (in during everybody in both circles takes advantage of this..)
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Mini skills are weird. And the game doesn't build around them or make it necessary to use them. There is really a lack of variety in elemental damage. I mean..the closest thing is predator knives and those are dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb--duuuummmmbbb. This is also a reason why it's weird to balance non-physical classes. Even moreso when we made those derpy resist rings public.

You can actually get away without them because you rarely see it in combat (hohum, design). You don't even see it in bashing very often. Aetolia has death traps with ridiculous amounts of varied damage types. We don't.

This is a large part of why int damage scales so much better than physical. People don't just enter the game with innate resist (armor and shields). You have to focus on building to resist a specific damage type. A lot of people aren't willing to do this.This is what makes people suggest crap like 'staffcast' after dsl and gearing towards non-physical damage types modified by int.
  • Bracing: The necessity for this skill no longer exists. One circle doesn't need a free access trans philosophy.

Option 1: Drop it in survival.
    Option 2: Delete it. No replacement.
  • No, that's dumb, we nee ..

Nevermind, I'm a Diavlous. Okay, yah, delete that. No replacement.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • That, ladies and gent, is how classleads work.
  • It's even more true because I am basically inactive at this point :(
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited September 2013
    Can we for the love of gold remove owl stripping from Cleansing? Every time my owl gets stripped by Cleansing, doesn't matter how the battle turns out, I feel like I've lost.

You have lost the owl defence.
    Your owl tattoo defence has been cleansed.

later...
    touch owl
    You have no owl.

ink owl on any of me
    You take 2 gold ink, bringing the total to 4. <- :-w
    You take 2 green ink, bringing the total to 44.

wares
    goldink1950: a gold ink                           100     400gp

wares (Reverie)
    An owl tattoo                   : 2800gp

Owl (13 uses left)

I get irritated because it feels like a tax &

sketch qashak on ground at iniar
    You take 1 gold ink, bringing the total to 3. <- :-w
    The qashak rune suddenly begins to spin, forming a black, swirling vortex.

E: Yes, I have Prism pouch.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Can we for the love of gold remove Cleansing?