Skip to content

Classlead Hashout Late 2013

15678911»

Comments

• Have you given any thought to Mages?

It's pretty apparent that the "plan A" of affliction-based attunements just is not working.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Can you elaborate? The only negative post-release feedback regarding mages that I have received involves individual attacks (icicles, lethargy, disrupt), not the concept as a whole.
  • Yeah, that's just not true. Ahkan and Khizan can say it better than I can, but the entire concept doesn't reward skill so much as mashing. The way Noctu works is the way we should have went for Mages.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Problems with attunements:

• In any kind of group situation, attunements are effectively incurable because there will always be higher priority afflictions; you couldn't afford to neglect affliction stacks if it were possible to do so because neglecting them would kill you. However, it's not possible to do so because attunements use orphine/mandrake/kelp/nightshade and those are herbs you'd need to eat anyways.
    • Attunements as afflictions mean that multiple Mages can stack up attunements stupidly fast
    • The only requirement is that you be able to afflict slightly faster than they can heal, because if you can then you can stack attunements up trivially. If you can't do this, then the best player in the world couldn't build attunements. This makes it incredibly uninteresting in 1v1, even if you remove the crazy disable.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• To elaborate, the potential for 16 stacking afflictions hidden behind a kelp, maidenhair, nightshade, orphine wall is bad. Azefel can eventually kill anyone because he's clever and has more than two braincells to rub together. Why? The afflictions do not matter. He could be afflicting with dementia, potato, dizziness, clumsiness, and vertigo and he's going to eventually kill me because the attunements are what kill me. The fact that they're rolling in lethargy, impatience, confusion, disruption is just icing. Things get worse when you bump into the mage-o-tron machine. Each mage has a particular element they love (an awesome facet of the class, btw) but that spells certain doom for me. Sadey is whatever afflictions +4 fire, Seraphyne is +1/+1/+1/+1 while she drags her face across the keyboard, Tristan/Zarok were skipping down spamcicle lane with remove deaf, sensitivity +4 water. What I cured didn't matter. I died to drowning long before I had a chance to say potato.

Insert rant about: Loshre, ground nairat, flare nairat, shadowplant. "If you can't cure this, you will die." Skill ability: You cannot cure this...x2,x3. Potato.

As much as I glower at Summoner, it's working out pretty well. Iluv, Lio, and Elderth have all played out an entire fight if I invest taint here, here and here I'm not able to do this and that, but if they do this, then I need to save up taint for _____. You can derp well in combat, but you're not going to see a good return on your abilities unless you use taint properly. Whereas playing mage in a team setting (and by team I mean 1+) is pretty much splatter painting to "Walking on sunshine." 1v1 isn't exactly rocket surgery either. One potato, two potato, three potato, floor.

Tl;dr: Every reason you agreed we presented for fire attunements being bad for summoner are applicable to mage.

• Ahkan said:
    Any shardfall with a devotioner gets amazing fast.

I am in the room with ally1, ally2, ally3 and the enemy!
    The shield train is shielding.
    The deathknights aren't razing.
    "Why did Lionas stop doing things?" 
    The passive def stripping that was removed from the game strips my mindseye
    (notice there's not a lot of spam from my team)
    Ring: Iniar: I have been slain by Flavorofthemonth
    Now here is the decision. Do I blindly run every direction and hope for the best or do I touch mindseye and realize how bad the situation really is. 
    You are in the room with: Anti-magick
    For some reason, chain-shield shielded.

Now I know why Septus' engage didn't hit me. Thank you tarahkan.

So in continuing to mentally gather things for future classleads, does the def strip pet need to go as well? (so far I have get rid of balance stripper and potentially the def stripper, but make the others easier to summon and less killable)
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited November 2013
    Pretty sure it got class leaded (and approved) this round. We'll see the upcoming beta.

Last round it was class leaded, agreed it was a problem and 'fixed'. Since we don't delete broken things on balanced classes, we left it in until because we couldn't come up with a suitable replacement that didn't break the class. Cleansing was the only passive def strip that survived.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Texas
    edited November 2013
    Man - that's the thing though - the more I play, the more I realize... Outrider just doesn't need anything else. I'm not sure I'd call it OP necessarily, but it has a couple of items like that and the balance stripper, that I just don't need. They only serve to annoy the opponent. And to be honest, most of the pets are pretty superfluous, but a few that are absolutely vital.
  • Lemming type pet has to be ordered to strip defences. Waste of a surge in my opinion anyway.

• Who was surging lemming in that fight? Only ones worth surging are smash and lacerate pets (with extremely conditional bite surge) imo.
  • Ahkan was complaining about cleansing, not pet surges.
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • potato