Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• There were definitely reasons for those changes. The lesson gain was IRE-wide, the death/pk experience system was to encourage more people to jump into combat, the vialbelt implementation was something highly requested that simultaneously reduced item bloat from vials. Again, not arguing against this implementation - I agree it's skewed against Demonic/Magick - but the impetus really isn't the same.

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited September 2014
    That's a problem with the direction of game design. It doesn't justify warping another system in an unknown (good, bad) way. The way the game is you either buy 900 credits of lessons (why you're not complaining about this, what) is usually paired with a 100 credit race-change. If you're really dead set on class hopping and metagaming, than as a metagamer BUY A GEM OF TRANSMUTATION. (or go change)

5 reincarnates? Not worth it.
    10? Worth it
    15? Yep
    20? Yep.
    340 Most definitely.

Iron elite maxes at 150c/month. That's like 7 months. I know you've been complaining about this for at least a year. What did you do with those 1800c?
  • @Wysrias Yeah, you're right that those changes definitely needed to happen more than this change. I'm not trying to argue that it needs to be done now, or that it needs to be done my way, I'm just trying to bring attention to the discrepancy between how AM get to make use of their 900C class purchases(and how I would argue everyone should be able to use theirs), and how the system negatively impacts the experience of Magick and Demonic players. My hope in even bringing this up and hashing out a super-rough outline of a replacement system is just to get the thought of taking another look at statpacks into the heads of a coder and maybe onto a to-do list.

@Ahkan Sometimes I feel like you reply without reading. The primary complaint here isn't that a gem is so expensive, it's that a gem isn't even required for AM(which feels like the way switching professions is meant to function), and doesn't even give me the functionality that switch profession brings to AM. In AM without a gem, I could bash as Fast Predator, go Fast Ranger for a shardfall, then go Fast Templar for some 1v1 fun. A gem isn't required to use these classes effectively. In Magick, even with a gem, I'm bashing in Athletic Hunter, decide to go Intelligent Mage for a shardfall, then I'm stuck unable to use any class other than Mage until the next RL day. It's not even close to the same and the gem doesn't provide the kind of functionality I would expect from a 1000C artifact, especially for an artifact I'm purchasing to bring me closer to functionality that AM already has. Quite frankly, I don't even know why there is any kind of limitation on how many times a day you can use the Gem. It would make much more sense to me with the switch profession system if you could just reincarnate as often as you want after purchasing the Gem. A limitation on reincarnations per day with the Gem does nothing to enhance gameplay or balance the artifact, it just adds a limit that, again, AM doesn't get impacted by in a serious manner, and I don't think Magick or Demonic should have to fuss with either.

Last but not least. I brought this up once, almost exactly a year ago. I played for a few months after that but have been inactive for the better part of what, 6-8 months? Now I'm bringing it up for a second time after coming back to some new coders that have already some great work in the time I've been absent. I think "complaining about this for at least a year" is just a little bit of an exaggeration.
  • I think touting that AM has it so easy for statpacks is a shitty point. I doubt they were all designed with the intent for one statpack to be usable across the entire circle, it is just a matter of coincidence, narrow-minded creative for AM professions, and the fact that those statpacks are pretty good anyways. I don't disagree that the statpack and reincarnation model does not have any intelligent consideration for the multi class system, but as Ahkan said, asking for them to consider changing it now is like asking a thief not to rob you.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited September 2014
    @dicene

I'm pretty sure I understood your complaint.  "I want to change professions but I don't want to spend money to change statpacks." You went on your own weird argument complaining about the game's design (which, unfortunately I did read) and how AM has it unfairly good (they might, but it's not statpacks). The responsibility for not being able to ideally multi-class is still yours and you evaded addressing your own responsibility for your plight. Nevertheless,  your optimum statpack is really dictated by how you play, what you want to play in, and the amount you're willing to spend. Athletic is a good zerg statpack. It's not an ideal 1v1. Fast is an ideal 1v1. It's not a good zerg. You make sacrifices to min-max.

Multi-classing is a luxury. Multi-classing into the optimum statpack is another luxury. Luxuries cost money. Where are your 1800 credits? Do i need to explain why the gem is a lot of bang for your buck at +10 reincarnations?

Just no.

• I think a big part of this comes down to priorities. If someone has 3 professions and want to be optimal in all three, I'd probably have to wonder why they don't only have two and spent the 900 credits for the third one on a gem instead. Its an exceptionally good artefact that's pretty much the posterchild for arties that let you minmax your class depending on the situation. Also I think Ahkan's point about multiclassing not being a requirement is pretty crutial.

I appreciate that a couple classes get hit by statpack diversity a lot harder than others (summoner, mage, bard?), but personally I think that's just something you need to account for when picking your classes.

Also don't think a gem should have no cooldown. Playing moderately intelligently with your resources should be encouraged I'd say, but maybe that's just personal preference.

• edited September 2014
    Verexa said:
    Copy-pasting a custom layout for each shield and armour type is tedious and annoying so I am proposing that we replace the relevant parts/words for every type so that we don't have to repeat the process a bunch of times. Like this we can make one design and have it apply to any type of armour or shield we want when purchased in a shop for example.

I realise this probably difficult scripting-wise but any compromise to speed up the process would be cool too.
    Separation is necessary, because particular designs will be described differently based on the shield and armor being described - chainmail links versus scale versus full-body plates, etc. The items differ in shape, design, and sometimes materials, so it doesn't make sense for multiple types to be described in the same way by the same design.

Not quoting because there were a bunch of posts:
    Regarding reincarnation and statpacks - we've read and are aware of your thoughts on the issue. We don't have plans for change to the way this works, at the moment, but it is something we'll keep in mind.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Celestine said:
    ANNOUNCE NEWS #2840
    Date: 9/26/2014 at 19:15
    - Added missing room messages to Care (Fayth) and affliction healing of Bliss (Devotion)
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Redemption discussion split to here.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Unless I'm missing something obvious, there's no way to specify the number of sips you are refilling a vialbelt from a shop. As such, the fastest way to refill my vialbelt from empty is to do a for loop of all elixirs, salves, and toxins sending "refill vbelt from *" x 20. I'd love a way to specify the number of sips, or to full, or something along those lines, so I'm not sending all that at once and lagging everyone else with my shopping.

Separately, I'd love to see a more specific XP count in GMCP(or anywhere in general) than just parsing the percentage to next level. It'd be great to be able to make more informed decisions about where to bash based on the experience gain. At present, the best I can do for specific information on the XP from a mob is silently checking ASPECT LIST PERKS after every kill and seeing how much my XP total has changed.
  • Would it be possible to increase the limit of arrows held in the artifact quiver? (Plz :()
  • new artifact idea: helmet of eternal protection.  Power: prevents you from getting concussions from mobs when bashing.

wtb bashing helmet, plz.  :(
  • Ultrix said:
    new artifact idea: helmet of eternal protection.  Power: prevents you from getting concussions from mobs when bashing.

wtb bashing helmet, plz.  :(
    How about just letting me parry mob attacks. :)
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Would be nice to have an artifact that let you combine two sacrificial animations in necromancy.
  • @Ultrix

@Mathiaus

That's an awful idea, you'd be able to push mana and health at the same time all the time. It'd be the druid of artifacts*.
  • This isn't exactly in the same vein as all the other improvements, but it would be nice if for real birthdays we got an email and a little gift like Lusternia does.
    ** Yes, we're aware of the problems. Please do NOT use any HELP files at the moment.**.
    ** And don't try them now just see if they're really broken. **.
    ** Or credit conversion. Try not to do anything much right now. **.
    ** Don't panic, normal service will be restored as soon as possible. For now, enjoy the wonders of conversation. **.
    *** We will be rebooting in about 60 seconds ***.
    ** Don't panic. Just...stay close to your rosaries **.
    ** Monetary offers for Salvation accepted. **.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited October 2014
    Something I would like to see, and I've mentioned this before, is a main article of clothing on room-look.

I know we have an impressive cadre of designers who design amazingly, but one has to actually look at the person to notice any of it. In contrast, when I walk into a room irl, I immediately notice a fuchsia tutu. 

Something along the lines of flagging one article of clothing your 'main' article, i.e. FLAG 24195monocle AS MAIN, resulting in your description reading as such:

Iniar Nullheart is here, wearing a rusty monocle.
    Iniar Nullheart is here, dressed in a brilliant fuchsia tutu.

Isn't that a conversation starter!
  • To my limited knowledge of other games, if you shrub someone they can't mail you letters. This is something that really should be added to Imperian. You'd probably get issues less often regarding harassment if there was more coding related to preventing harassment as is.

Also if we were shooting for the moon it would be highly amusing (and possibly useful) if you couldn't use any communication syntaxes using the name of a person that's shrubbed you.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    You mean snub?
  • Iniar said:
    Something I would like to see, and I've mentioned this before, is a main article of clothing on room-look.

I know we have an impressive cadre of designers who design amazingly, but one has to actually look at the person to notice any of it. In contrast, when I walk into a room irl, I immediately notice a fuchsia tutu. 

Something along the lines of flagging one article of clothing your 'main' article, i.e. FLAG 24195monocle AS MAIN, resulting in your description reading as such:

Iniar Nullheart is here, wearing a rusty monocle.
    Iniar Nullheart is here, dressed in a brilliant fuchsia tutu.

Isn't that a conversation starter!

I want to see less meaningless crap when I walk into the room, not more of it. Also,I don't really want to see "So-and-so is here, wearing red lacy panties" or "So-and-so is here, dressed like a particularly tasteless streetwalker." 

Arakis said:
    To my limited knowledge of other games, if you shrub someone they can't mail you letters. This is something that really should be added to Imperian. You'd probably get issues less often regarding harassment if there was more coding related to preventing harassment as is.

Also if we were shooting for the moon it would be highly amusing (and possibly useful) if you couldn't use any communication syntaxes using the name of a person that's shrubbed you.
    You're in luck! Shrubs can't do either of those things!

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I meant snub, yeah >.<
  • Khizan said:

I want to see less meaningless crap when I walk into the room, not more of it. Also,I don't really want to see "So-and-so is here, wearing red lacy panties" or "So-and-so is here, dressed like a particularly tasteless streetwalker."

Khizan only says this so he can read who he is going to attack quicker. If this were implemented it would be easy to flag certain items, ala red lacy panties, unusable as your "main" article of clothing.

• On a more serious note,I'm okay with sending letters to people who have you snubbed. 

It's possible to snub anybody for any reason and there's no recourse for it, which is as it should be for a feature like that. However, realities of the game mean that you can end up in a situation where you have to deal with somebody who has you snubbed. City business, joining another org, "why did you kill me" requests, etc. There needs to be a way to do this when somebody has you snubbed aside from trying to corner them in person when they're bashing so you can use undirected says. Letters are the best means of doing this.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    edited October 2014
    Yeap we've had this conversation before with @Khizan

I use gmcp to parse whoever's in the room, so it doesn't bother me how long
    Moradeim Aspect, Magickal Pony-riding (insert Your Name) with a Super Cool Blazer
    is.

I also highlight names, so that doesn't really bother me.
    Moradeim Aspect, Magickal Pony-riding (insert Your Name) with a Super Cool Blazer

Finally, there're about 30 x more designers than there are about people who care about PK.

And, yes @Delrayne, the initial idea was for 'designers' to pay a token sum for a limited set of clothing to be tagged as 'MAIN' with more stringent design rules.
  • It has nothing to do with PK; anybody I'd be fighting has a highlighted name so they stand out. 

It has to do with the fact that this game throws massive amounts of text at you in short order, and so things like "Who is in the room" and such should be delivered in a concise and brief form. There's a reason that people have been asking to remove titles from tells/who/look/etc for years now; one 'flavorful' title per character adds up to half a screen's worth of real estate as soon as you look at any kind of crowd in a room. Adding something like "wearing a long coat of dark leather" to the end of everybody is just going to compound that problem.

• IniarIniar Australia
    Khizan said:

...There's a reason that people have been asking to remove titles from tells/who/look/etc for years now...

Who? We just got about 15 more with the chokers and what not.
  • MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    Kinda obvious this is a personal preference thing, and that there's probably a fair amount of feeling for both.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    All I'm saying is that if this idea is implemented.. man, there's gonna be some funny @Khizan v @Ultrix scenes:

'How can you not notice my new shiny frog-boots?!?!'

'Uh... I toggled it off?'

• We don't have any plan to implement something like that.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Eoghan said:
    We don't have any plan to implement something like that.
    GDI, you win @Khizan. :P