Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• Cadeyrn said:
    Not sure if this is the right place, but could the Iron Realms toolbar be used to record/broadcast shardfalls happening?
    How does one get the Iron Realms toolbar? You are the second person I've heard/seen speak of this thing.
  • http://www.ironrealms.com/firefox-toolbar

Obviously, that's only for firefox as an add-on, but that's where I found mine. Probably whatever one you're looking for on the ironrealms site.
  • Give the Chancellor a command to "shut down" houses, similar to shops (which is bugged, but it's an idea anyway).
  • So it doesn't accrue taxes or you can't access it? 
  • So that it doesn't accrue. Citylock already prevents access.
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    edited January 2014
    on the help file :

Mask of Lifevision: 750 credits
      - Enables you to use lifevision to see most hidden people.

the actual price (I assume, since it's on artifact list):
      159          a mask of lifevision                    350 Credits
  • I noticed this one:

A gossamer anchor: 300 credits
     - After dying, this anchor will decrease by half the amount of time you 
       spend vulnerable to attacks made by other players against you.

Artifact #     Description                                Cost   
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      236          a gossamer anchor                       200 Credits
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
  • If you guys notice any typos in help files like that, please use the TYPO command in-game to report them. We have a bunch of entities whose only purpose in life is to sit there, waiting for bugs and typos to come in so that they can sort and fix them as quickly as possible.
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    edited January 2014
    from personal experience, things seem to get fixed a lot faster (or in some cases, actually fixed) if they're on the forums rather than in game BUG/TYPO :(

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Could we have shielding have a 10 second cool down please? It would greatly help with making it be used more strategically rather than spammy.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Problem is all the shield stripping skills are designed around it being spammy. Ain't no trouble to rsl every 10 seconds, it's barely defensive enough to affect the incoming aff rate. Introducing a cooldown that long will have a lot of repercussions.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Not to mention that in team combat, the cooldown would be extra inhibiting - there are five of you and one of me. I'm never going to get any use out of my shield cooldown, because you have 5 pairs of hands who can raze while the other four go ham on me. That kind of change, as Iniar implies, would need to come with a lot of different changes. Shield spamming is so effective in duels because it costs so much for the only person hitting you to deal with, allowing you to turtle and reheal. This is not so in teams.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • edited January 2014
    What about a 'soft' cooldown that would let you spam shield, but each time you shield within 10 seconds of the last you take 20% more equilibrium to do so and reset the timer? That would make shield spam effective in the short term, but a less and less appealing prospect the more you do it in rapid succession.
  • Shield doesn't win out in pretty much any situation I can think of as far as one vs one goes. This is of course provided both people know what they're doing.

• Since the edit button seems to have vanished, this is a rough idea of how every class in the game can attempt to handle shield usage.

General: Hammer is FAST with the shard research for it. Shielding poorly averts your own offence. No cooldown on ciguatoxin usage anymore.

Knights: RSL still applies a toxin. Numbness prevents tattoo use. Limbs. Impale.
    Wytch: Curse ignores shield. Numbness (now with added Nairat). Disruption via inhibit prevents any active skill whatsoever. Confusion. Hugalaz.
    Diabolist: Deadeyes ignores shield. Numbness. Bloodworms disruption. Hallucinations (can't do anything stunned). Confusion.
    Summoner: Numbness. Heroism. Hallucinations. Confusion. Cleanseaura which is very fast against a low health target.
    Defiler: Devastate. Germinate apple. (lack of experience as and against post changes Defiler)
    Renegade/Assassin: Numbness and heroism, the later being passive. Confusion. Hallucinations. Transfix.
    Mage: Numbness. Confusion. Disruption. Transfix. Calcify to slow herb cures.
    Bard: Numbness. Confusion. Sketchlink Raze. Passive transfix.
    Hunter: Numbness. Heroism. Confusion. Hallucinations. Trigger on shield. Transfix.
    Druid: Reinforced Metallic Wisp. Limb breaks. Impale. Entangle.
    Priest: Shatter is very fast. Purification. Cleansing. Ensnare.
    Monk: Immolate. Disrupt. Hallucinations. Limbs.
    Ranger/Amazon: Numbness. Impale. Limbs.
    Outrider: Numbness. Damage on double raze with Deluge. Disruption via freezing. Limbs.
    Predator: Raze as part of a combo. Numbness. Limbs.
    Wardancer: Raze as part of a combo. Numbness. Transfix. Confusion. Disruption. Impale. Limbs.

• edited January 2014
    Kryss said:
    Stuff
    I feel as if this is an oversimplification, since a number of the classes listed require a significant amount of momentum before they can properly overcome or overpower shield tattoos. Anyways, the issue with the shield tattoo isn't that it can be used smartly to disrupt the enemy offence; the issue is that with repeated use of it, it's impossible for (most) classes to even start an offence of their own.

As for shielding hurting your own offence, this is true, except for the obvious exception of limb damage.
  • In a duel, neither participant is likely to simply turtle out of the gate because that would be detrimental to winning.

So let's assume that Cecil (Templar with a yearning for Deathknight) attacks Yuna (Summoner). Should Yuna decide that pacifism is the key to all things and opts to shield over and over she will gain nothing. Meanwhile Cecil will have likely decided that just afflicting won't cut through the shield spam and so instead opts to target limbs. Or he might have ciguatoxin at the top of his affliction order for just this very reason. He is always going to get at least one DSL between her shielding and the more healing balances she uses the worse off she becomes. Eventually, a maidenhair won't cure numbness and it will be two DSLs. Three. Reversing the situation, should Cecil shield all day then Yuna will likely be glad for it because her own life won't be in any danger and she can easily apply damage or affliction pressure depending on her persuasion at the time. Once again, she is always going to get a good attack in between every Hammer or Cleanseaura.

The above is a little silly, but the idea really does apply to every matchup there is. What class is so slow that they can not attack between razing? It is then up to the person having to raze to decide how best to spend that attack they have. And there are A LOT of options. Many very likely underutilized. My outline above is just a quick idea since at the end of the day, combat is very complex and intricate, with there being ways to deal with just about anything. It is a shame then, that much of this is now overlooked in the whirlwind fury of current group combat with one vs one being dismissed as pointless.

• In that example, I think it far more likely that simply no progress is made. Yuna gets to cure at full potential while Cecil's affliction rate is hampered by both the shield and by the fact that Yuna's lack of attacking means her rebounding aura is never preemptively nullified.

I agree with you that, in a duel situation, shielding won't be a winning strategy unless the shielder has a strong limb-based offence. If Yuna was a Monk or an Amazon and chose to attack a few times in between her bouts of shielding, Cecil's prospects would look much more grim.
  • Rebounding is as ever, beaten by asthma.

In all my years of fighting in this game, primarily 1v1, shield has never been a major issue. There have of course been times when a string of shielding has blocked a kill but what do you do? Try and try again. Someone will eventually make a mistake, they always do. If you jump someone and they don't want to fight, I personally would be glad if they resorted to shield for it is able to be played around. More likely they will simply run away which is a far better active answer to avoiding combat.

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited January 2014
    Kryss's example highlights why combating shield spamming with afflictions is and always will be terrible. Who gives a crap what the stupid names are, when push comes to shove I'm not going to be able to stick any of the aforementioned afflictions because you're freaking shielding and using rebounding every time. You're not just playing defensively, you're reducing 30-60% of my offense by not fighting at all. 

I'm really torn by going class by class and explaining why you're wrong on all of them, but it all boils down to the same point. I can't stop someone from chain shielding without some sort of prior setup, which I won't get then someone is chain shielding. The best solutions you skirted, but couldn't mention, were hypnosis (passive pre setup) and limb damage (unstoppable setup). Fighting you and fighting Brishi has been the greatest highlight to this eternal dilemma. I can't do enough affs/second to keep either of you from shielding. 

Asthma. How do you expect to stick asthma when someone is chain shielding on you? The big issue here is that you can't.

Numbness is a bad solution as is because it's a healing delay with paralysis as a reward for not healing.  (Does not stop class specific shiedling abilities)

Confusion: Mental affs are largely unreliable because of focus. Confuse is high priority, hard to stick, and requires heaps of previous setup to stick (your mage experience blinded you to this)

Transfix: For the most part, few people get access to this to really capitalize on it. The biggest problem here is that often times, they writhe free of transfix before you've regained eq from giving it. Runeguard/Wardancer do not have this problem. You wasted your equilibrium and gave them a non-stack cure while they ticked on healing balances.

With curing the way it is, the logical answer to shield spamming is some manner of diminishing returns. If you shield twice in a row, every ensuing shield accrues some sort of equilibrium malus. Arguing the system of 'smart active healing' requires the usage to be 'smart' and not 'spammed' which is a distinction a lot people forget. In order to make it 'smart' you need to include some sort of malus for using timing the usage of an ability poorly.

It's also important to mention here that with four people hitting Kryss with high damage, high afflictions and all but CC, she manages to trololol spam shield out of many of her scenarios without any effort on her part, while garrynbot does the lion's share of the work. She's a living argument to why 80% of her 'list' is wholly incorrect, especially in 1v1.

Edit: Also, you troll shield in 1v1 duels to piss the other person off into doing something stupid, like getting aggressive tunnel vision.
  • Iniar said:
    A combo-able shield-breaker is not the same as solo, single-fire shield-breaker

Or a cooldown based instant one.
  • If an offense can successfully push an affliction kill through dedicated shield spamming, it's probably an offense that needs nerfed because they can overwhelm healing while sacrificing a significant portion of their offensive balances.

That aside, Kryss is confusing "can prevent somebody from shielding" with "can prevent somebody from shielding while actively progressing an offense".

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    So, slightly off-topic, but pertaining to the impenetrability of cities/monoliths;

Therian has been holding a monolith since I don't know when. There's nothing to stop him from permanently camping that monolith and never leaving the city. It isn't a major problem given 1) only he does that amongst regular monolith holders, 2) it's for Terror. However, it's really difficult to locate him (without a Veil) and there's nothing to stop another 2-3 people from doing the same. 
  • The other problem is that he has a ring which is way too valuable and important to ever be nerfed, so you should just give up on killing him ever.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Therian wins the "most afraid of death in a game" award by a long stretch, I think. I've never, ever seen someone be so pants-wettingly terrified of dying in any game.

I mean, I bet a decent percentage of the general human population has less of an aversion to real, actual death than he does in this game.
  • Way, way, way back in the day, one of my favorite things to do was stand on the road between Therian and Celidon with a threadtrap up and then farsee Therian.

As soon as he saw the warning hit he'd haul ass back to Celidon, but he never had mass up so he'd just hit threadtrap and never leave. Then he bought a ring. :(

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited January 2014
    New and better token items. Make me want to buy tokens
    @Svorai @Jeremy

-Cairns (put in my cairn system, mackelmor pls)

-Pathfinder's compass (borrowed from aetolia)  5 tokens
    +2 to celerity when using pathfinding 

-Phial of waterwalk  8 tokens
    Will give you the 'waterwalk' defense for 5m

-Deathglory add-on  2 tokens
    Allows you to add a new death glory orb to your existing deathglory. Customization and expansion should be a premium service'

-True silver pike - 2 tokens
    Same as before, makes more sense here

-The Keg 10 tokens
    Can be filled with 5000 sips of your finest booze. You can then plop it in a room and allow anyone in the room to partake from your wares. (Yes, this would let you open a bar)

Quicksilver Coin (3-5 tokens)
    -A get out of jail free (instantly) card for charon. Only works with non-guard NPC deaths.
    -Aka, skip 90 second waiting period on bashing deaths, could be something fun like 'bribe charon'

The pocket forge (10-15 tokens)
    -Acts as if there is a forge in the room for you always. Only works for owner
    -Does not work with siege cannons
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Ahkan said:
    -The Keg 10 tokens
    Can be filled with 5000 sips of your finest booze. You can then plop it in a room and allow anyone in the room to partake from your wares. (Yes, this would let you open a bar)
    Iluv would buy one of those.