Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    Wait not receiving anything has a tradein value?
  • VelionVelion California, USA
    Menoch said:
    Wait not receiving anything has a tradein value?
    No, and neither do vials.
  • Next year, he just needs to give up and get us some goddamn gift cards or something.

... Actually, that sounds like a good idea. Gift vouchers for vialbelt refills at an Ironbeard shop.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • 3 of the 4 times I've gotten something from Ironbeard has been gold

I guess that's the giftcard equal

• It could always be worse. Ironbeard could start giving out coupons for 250 free credits ..

..after you buy 250 credits.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • The Pet Training Token should be configurable like the Deathglory Orb. That is the only reason I have held off purchasing it.
  • Configurable in what way?
  • Currently, you only set the the pet training actions once and send the request by email.

I would like the pet training token actions to be set whenever I want much like the Deathglory orb. For 10 tokens, I do not want to script something that I later get bored/annoyed with or may not fit any longer and have to spend another 10 tokens. There is no reason it needs to be set only once. 
  • Since shard research overlaps city/council orgs into a circle-specific org, can we have a new city bankaccount that is a shared pool for both organizations?

Example:
    Stavenn and Khandava are allies. We both share research. We'd like a an account we can both dump money in to fun research.
    Stavenn puts in 500k
    Khandava puts in 500k.
    War research pulls 1m from the combined account.
  • edited January 2014
    The only problem with that, Iluv, is that setting up a custom pet script involves a fair amount of work. Each pet's prog is written solely for that pet, with a very high level of customization.

While we could theoretically come up with a generic prog that pulls information from the game that is stored on the pet or your character somehow, that would not be a trivial task and we would probably have to lose a fair amount of the customizability.

We also have a problem in that the scripting information exposed to the reaction submitter would be pretty complex. At least half of the deathsight messages that are submitted require some kind of modification, usually something like a missing $ or parentheses, or a mistake with explicit capitalization, or an improper variable reference ($his vs $lhis). And that's with a deathsight message that only has 8 potential variables. It's generally pretty easy for me to catch them and adjust them before approving, but sometimes I just miss them and then somebody's deathsight message looks stupid for a while.

The number of variables that would be used in a pet's prog is far larger, which means far more complexity for the user and for me as an approver, and far more margin of error for something to come out looking stupid. While I understand that it can be kind of an expensive proposition, I think the value of the highly customizable method we have now outweighs the cons of something more generic.
  • Would it be possible to be able to turn all the actions on and off like the deathglory?

Another improvement I would like to see is changing the weapon stats for obsolete weapons to compare with sabre, claymore, axe, (broadswords?)

For example, take the scimitar and longsword weapons. Using them would be sub-optimal for combat so you rarely see them used in the game. Also, why are bardiche and halberd skins for claymore artifacts not available?
  • Yes. One of your actions could be the pet disabling its other actions.

I'll have to defer your questions about the weapon stuff to @Garryn, as that's mainly his area of expertise these days.
  • Iluv said:
    Another improvement I would like to see is changing the weapon stats for obsolete weapons to compare with sabre, claymore, axe, (broadswords?)

For example, take the scimitar and longsword weapons. Using them would be sub-optimal for combat so you rarely see them used in the game. Also, why are bardiche and halberd skins for claymore artifacts not available?
    Bardiche/halberd variants of artifacts are on the list, I just haven't gotten around to adding them yet. It's a long list.

Weapon stats are a tricky subject. I've got some plans in this regard, but it's still quite a while off - making unused weapons more attractive is more complex than just altering their stats, as with the two-number approach that we have right now, some combinations will always be better than others.
  • Honestly, my solution to the sabre issue would be to nuke sabres from orbit and redesign knights around the lack of sabres.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• AzefelAzefel Singapore
    scimitars aren't useless
    I would enjoy wielded and worn items showing up in gmcp. Would make life easier(e.g. when Rafe breaks an arm, your wielded item is unwielded, and it gives no message).
  • I don't think it's unwielded if you use a fist sigil/gripping/wriststrap.

Kryss said:
    I don't think it's unwielded if you use a fist sigil/gripping/wriststrap.
    Don't know about fist/gripping, but it is unwielded with a wriststrap. Near as I can figure, the strap just makes it so it's not dropped, just unwielded.
  • Not everyone has gripping.
  • Well then fist it is, readily available to every member of the Magick and Demonic circles.

• Which is weird, since wrist-straps were supposed to do the exact same thing as fist sigils for those people concerned with arghpee or affinity.

Better option, ignore Kryss, file a bug saying that wrist strip isn't preventing unwield on arm break. See how it plays out. If that gets nerfed, throw in a classlead about it next round.
    Fist
    ----------
    When ATTACHED to an item, it cannot be knocked out of your inventory easily.

Even with a fist, they will still be unwielded.
  • You haven't even tried it.

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    I call shenanigans, wriststrap works as intended for me, arm breaks and all.
  • Wriststraps work exactly like fist sigils and broken arms have not been unwielding my stuff. Velion may be thinking of the Warden's SECURE WEAPONS?

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

Khizan said:
    Wriststraps work exactly like fist sigils and broken arms have not been unwielding my stuff. Velion may be thinking of the Warden's SECURE WEAPONS?
    Could be just Rafe/Balan, then, not -all- arm breaks, which is what I said in the first place.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    A page boy exclaims, "Yes! Yes! This is it! You've saved my life, really! Now I can replace my master's sword and he'll be 
    so pleased that I've cleaned it... that maybe he won't beat me tonight!"

You say to a page boy, "You've been saying that for centuries."
    I know it's been mentioned (and is a lot of work), but having some kind of progression schedule for NPCs would go a long long way in making the world feel a touch more organic.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • That's totally a thematic fit with Imperian. Smithing has always sucked and continues to suck. 10 years and no one knows how to make it better. Still, gotta feel sorry for that kid (and every other person who has tried to smith in this game).
  • I wish there was an option that's similar to "DEF DRAINS" command, but for regen from artifacts, racial regen, tattoos, skills, etc.

I know it's easy enough to check total regen when it ticks, but having the option is just for QOL.

• Not sure if this is the right place, but could the Iron Realms toolbar be used to record/broadcast shardfalls happening?