Skip to content

Rant Against Theorycrafting

1235»

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Iriaen said:
    Sarrius said:
    Iriaen said:
    Einstein quote: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a difference result.

What are you going to do to make linear 1v1 interesting and have replayability? Make Hunter even more complicated? Make some more taint moves that you'd use in the same way every time? That stuff is a dead end.
    Hunter is not complicated. Brishi (and obviously, you) just doesn't know how to play Imperian, so the class looks daunting.

The class is actually crystal clear to anybody who has anything more than passing experience with affliction combat.
    So you have no idea, maybe you don't even expect or want to see 1v1 combat in Imperian.
    No. I'm telling you that your implication that Hunter is complicated is indicative of your lack of understanding of Imperian at large and why any of the changes made over the past few years is good. You don't understand. You don't have the head for game design or combat balance required for these things. You don't have the head for combat. You long for the days where this fact about you was not as obvious, because you could compensate in the Wild West. Nobody had a system. Nobody had standardized curing. You could mash the same button or so and it would eventually work.

You have no grasp of why any of the changes we made are good. Everything that was removed was toxic to duelist combat as well. Limb damage is also toxic to duelist combat because it makes fighting a limb class a foregone conclusion. You will lose to them, because it costs nothing for them to mount an offense behind a shield tattoo, et cetera. It isn't about cowardice or anything like that. What it is about is player skill. It isn't about individual player skill, but player skill from a meta perspective. If fighting a class is a foregone conclusion that you will lose, why bother fighting them? Suddenly, that entire chunk of class structure gets no fights. Toxic elements in combat tend to reduce PvP interaction in any group of people besides those that use them to compensate for their own short-comings as skilled players.

You don't know what you are talking about. If you've read my forum history, I am one of the biggest proponents of going back to a one versus one model in at least one aspect of the game. I personally believe duels is where class mechanics and alternate strategies flourish and have time to shine and show off how cool the revamps of most classes are. I don't expect to go back to one versus one combat because I am a minority audience in that regard. One versus one combat implies that participates must take it upon themselves to make their own offense, which has a burden of knowledge in multiple sectors (coding, combat mechanics, proper usage of sklls, et cetera).
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • edited March 2014
    Right, and you think that a game doesn't need to have people playing it to be good.

If you're such a big proponent of 1v1, and think it can be done under the current model, why don't you post up some ideas instead of making personal attacks.
    Drill baby drill because luck is a skill.
  • Iriaen said:
    People like Khizan, Ahkan and Ashel will log on every single day, but go days at a time without fighting and who knows how long at a time without doing 1v1 combat, and yet the mods let people who don't do 1v1 combat, never have and apparently never will, direct the course of 1v1 combat.
    Therefore instead we should let a guy who never logs on at all and hasn't fought in 5+ years do it
  • Ashel said:
    Iriaen said:
    People like Khizan, Ahkan and Ashel will log on every single day, but go days at a time without fighting and who knows how long at a time without doing 1v1 combat, and yet the mods let people who don't do 1v1 combat, never have and apparently never will, direct the course of 1v1 combat.
    Therefore instead we should let a guy who never logs on at all and hasn't fought in 5+ years do it
    I've been fighting and testing things a lot, these personal attacks are just a crutch for people who don't want to put forward any ideas of their own because they haven't got any.
  • Dear diary: Today on the Imperian forums Iriaen demonstrated that he has no idea how the classlead system works these days while yelling about how the game sucks because people changed it. I have been trolled yet again
  • I'm totally right to say that if this game were so good, the people in here defending its current form would probably do 1v1 combat.
  • Seriously buddy this is a democracy go prep some classleads for next round

When they all fail then you can come back and post about how the Fed and the Illuminati are conspiring to keep your game design ideas down
  • Yes, the game is not so good that I want to play it and fight 1v1

No, your ideas would not fix that
  • Iriaen said:
    Right, and you think that a game doesn't need to have people playing it to be good.

If you're such a big proponent of 1v1, and think it can be done under the current model, why don't you post up some ideas instead of making personal attacks.
    The game needs people, but all of the reasons you think that people are gone are, in fact, wrong.

I already posted ideas. People like @Ahkan, @Khizan, and @Juran have the grace to kindly tell me they are bad ideas because I do not rush to the forums and make a spectacle of myself when I am told they are bad ideas. I have proposed many, many ways to encourage duelist level combat. I respect their opinion a lot and trust their judgment of my opinion, so if I feel strongly about the idea, I would make adjustments. I have not felt strongly enough about the quality of any idea to encourage duelist combat, so I have not made a serious push about any of them. The closest I've gotten to that feeling is that sect conflict should incorporate duelist elements.

I'm not making personal attacks when I tell you that you don't have the head for understanding the state of the game. You are sort of like Fry from Futurama. You woke up in the World of Tomorrow, there's flying cars, aliens everywhere, and all you want is some anchovies on your pizza. Regretfully, anchovies are extinct. Sorry, buddy.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Man, this reminds me a little bit of the bad old days of the forums, though substantially less profane.

Someone makes a bad post, everyone jumps on it, there's bonding over the mutual destruction of terrible posting, punctuation and capitalization swiftly become optional..
  • edited March 2014
    I realize how classleads work, that's why I made this thread.  I'm pointing out how we need RNG and other such factors to make 1v1 work, instead of having a linear pay-to-win game, and you guys are like "we will vote down your ideas" combined with "we won't do 1v1 in the game how it is now" ON TOP OF "we can't even conceive of a way to make 1v1 work." You guys are positioned to keep the things that made 1v1 work in the past (for some people) from ever coming back, and you're basically doing it out of spite since none of you were 1v1 players in the first place and you can't even imagine a way to make 1v1 appealing to you in the future.

This is the attitude of people who kick out others for planning to contest them, or still post to forums of games that they apparently haven't played in years and aren't playing right now.
  • Alright, this thread is rapidly devolving into pointless bickering and insults. If you'd like to discuss our design approach or combat balance or anything like that, that's perfectly fine, but if the thread continues as it has, I'll be forced to close it.
  • edited March 2014
    Iriaen said:
    We only JUST lost Brishi because he went Hunter and realized that it was needlessly over-complicated for no real payoff as compared to the other classes he had been playing.  Back when he could target limbs, he was entertained, but Hunter apparently killed it for him.

Hunter is the most pants-on-head stupidly easy affliction class in the game; I was an awful failure at saboteur and sabreknight for years, because I hate affliction combat so much, and I was able to pull off brainmelts in groups. Aulani went from "unenvenomed claw in groupfights because she was a 200+ year old character who had never fought before" to provoking a worldwide "NERF BRAINMELT" movement in the space of maybe a week. Hunters in groups are incredibly powerful; there is a reason why skilled hunters are a primary target. Hunters in 1v1 can be damn near unbeatable; Kryss quit playing Hunter because nobody would fight her anymore, basically.

Brishi, on the other hand, was brainmelting people who had a whole two brainmelt afflictions on them, which was healing them of afflictions for a paltry 35 damage or so and was essentially a favor to the person he was attacking. The last fight he was in, he was basically spending the entire fight healing Ahkan's afflictions for him because he couldn't judge when to do it.

This is no surprise. Brishi's prior PvP classes were limb damage, limb damage, and limb damage+afflictions+bleeding+damage classes that required the skills of "counting to 12" and "shielding", and so it is not surprising that he sucked the big one when he first set foot into the affliction combat kiddie pool. I did, too. Hell, I still do, that's why I don't do it. If Brishi put in the time to practice and learn the class and put some effort into affliction tracking, he'd almost certainly be effective with the class.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I guess I'm done, I haven't got a lot else to say.  If you can't even conceive of a way to make 1v1 appealing to yourself, don't stand in the way of people who would make 1v1 work for some of us.
  • edited March 2014

Iriaen said:
    I guess I'm done, I haven't got a lot else to say.  If you can't even conceive of a way to make 1v1 appealing to yourself, don't stand in the way of people who would make 1v1 work for some of us.
    "I do not like how 1v1 is implemented" does not naturally flow to "Iriaen's ideas are great and make 1v1 better". Sorry, bud.
  • edited March 2014
    Iriaen said:
    Just to point out the obvious, if combat in Imperian was so great, there should be people who do 1v1 combat regularly just for the enjoyment that they get out of 1v1 combat.

There used to be people like that, there aren't anymore, because even if one accepts the premise that a linear pay-to-win game isn't terrible, the game still has no replayability.  If it did, people would be replaying it.  Like they used to.
    Whoa, I just found out I don't exist. I hope this isn't like when Marty McFly starts disappearing.. oh no there goes my ha
  • This is an amazing thread.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited March 2014
    Khizan said:

This is no surprise. Brishi's prior PvP classes were limb damage, limb damage, and limb damage+afflictions+bleeding+damage classes that required the skills of "counting to 12" and "shielding", and so it is not surprising that he sucked the big one when he first set foot into the affliction combat kiddie pool. I did, too. Hell, I still do, that's why I don't do it. If Brishi put in the time to practice and learn the class and put some effort into affliction tracking, he'd almost certainly be effective with the class.

He was efforting… Then he asked me to help him… Then I was all like 'oooooooh coding….' So he's still like… efforting somewhere I guess. He did brainmelt me for 500+ damage in a sterile testing. (Hehe, sorry Brishi)

E: Forum y u so retarded. :(
    Also if Brishi tells you he's quitting, wait two weeks first.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    At some point in our lives, we become apathetic to the bullshit and just enjoy whatever it is we choose to do.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited March 2014
    Honestly Iriaen, if you really want some RNG, try and classlead it in. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, someone will try and classlead it out, or @Garryn will just un-RNG it. After 5 pages of 'I like RNG' 'No.' 'No.' 'No.' I think we all know even with your tricksy lawyery skills, we won't be going anywhere fast. I'll quote ya back: "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds," Who it applies to, we'll only know if you classlead something.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • I play Hunter as one of my main classes. I can confirm it's pretty easy as an afflictions class, because you really don't need to track if you don't want to. If you think Hunter's complicated... You're probably playing it wrong.

Seriously. I think Juran can remember this(because I think he was the victim I brainmelted the most), but there was a point when I was actively PvPing with Hunter, and Ziat and I were doing 2v4s and such without too much trouble because Hunter(back then, and pretty much still now) could pull off damn near flawless brainmelts. 

Hunter balance should be discussed somewhere else though. I just want to point out that your combat perception is serously flawed if you think Hunter's more complicated than any affliction profession.