Skip to content

ToA Feedback Megathread

Comments

• Also I hate bent copper coins in Horror Hunts.

Look at it this way.

20 tokens will buy me 10 coins. Each coin makes 60 mobiles once per hour. So 20 tokens lets me make 600 mobiles an hour. If I just log on in my house once an hour to flip coins, I can easily make 6000+ mobiles a day. Khizan is in a position to use something like 70+ lockable rooms. This is a ridiculously huge advantage if you are willing to pregame it. The coin creatures shouldn't count for points, just like vermin were changed not to count for kills.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• VailVail Ithaqua
    I tried the Infestation event last night since Jules had asked earlier in the day if I'd come. I didn't know how to help with the fighting and it was so fast, but it was fun anyways harvesting the souls, and anti-magick did so good! Out of the few events I've tried, this one has been my favorite so far. I also got to meet a lot of nice people in Antioch for the first time, so that was cool, too. I really enjoyed the positive environment and team work of this particular event.
  • edited May 2016
    Elokia said:
    As we are edging closer to the end of this ToA, it sounds like the majority of our new games have been enjoyable? 

Any game you would never want to see again?

Any game you'd really love to see again?

Any of the Lore you hate?

Any of the Lore you love?

Quests, too hard/easy/annoying?

From a design standpoint, I do have to wonder if the daily quests aren't a bit short for the amount of tournament points they give; but even outside of that consideration, they have been fairly quick.  I wouldn't say they're too "easy" so much as they're over too quickly; there's definitely a balance between not wanting to make it a huge amount of work each day and I get that, but I don't know, feels like it could be a bit more substantial.

Granted: at this point I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone whose just doing those dailies at this point (and I guess hunts if I'm around at the time), and the lore also ties vaguely into the different events, so that's part of it as well.

What's there has been great though, and I think it's kind of telling that I'm sitting here basically posting "please sir, can I have some more?"

(By the way, while it's basically nothing, did anyone else not get their nominal participation 1 bound credit last hunt, yesterday?  I didn't.)
  • I hope the top ten at least get a qhonours with the rank we placed in the ToA. 
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • I really like all the lore being released, but I'm bummed because I've missed a couple of the dailies. Is there somewhere all of it is being kept track of that we can access for reference?
  • Veratyr said:
    I really like all the lore being released, but I'm bummed because I've missed a couple of the dailies. Is there somewhere all of it is being kept track of that we can access for reference?
    I have it all logged anyways, I can dump it at the end of the event if someone doesn't beat me to it.
  • VailVail Ithaqua
    Tried to take part in War Zone... not possible. Any time I tried to kill something, someone else would get it because they're way bigger than me. The worst part was that they kept trying to kill my wolf from my Beastmastery skills. I think that those types of creatures should be immune in an event like that. Especially since you can train them with taming, and I'm told if you do train them and they get killed you have to start all over. I ended up quitting early on because there was no point in even trying to participate in this one.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    @Anette that would be appreciated I missed two days.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • edited May 2016
    Vail said:
    Tried to take part in War Zone... not possible. Any time I tried to kill something, someone else would get it because they're way bigger than me. The worst part was that they kept trying to kill my wolf from my Beastmastery skills. I think that those types of creatures should be immune in an event like that. Especially since you can train them with taming, and I'm told if you do train them and they get killed you have to start all over. I ended up quitting early on because there was no point in even trying to participate in this one.
    Yeah I pretty much quit as well, there was absolutely zero point to it.
    Someone killed my nightmare, but thankfully it will reset.  A wolf, unless it's got an artifact collar, not so much.
    Iniar said:
    @Anette that would be appreciated I missed two days.
    I don't think I've missed anything but I guess we'll find out when I post it at the end of this if someone tells me I did!
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Khizan said:
    TRIPLE POST!

Also I'll be honest. I haven't even bothered to look at the lore stuff. I figure, there are only two ways future lore events will work out. The first way is that we'll roll with whichever faction looks like it will be the most fun to side with, and the second way is that we will get railroaded into supporting a faction regardless of what we actually want to do. There is technically a third option of "Well this looks like it's less fun, but OUR RP DEMANDS IT!" but we will never willingly choose it so it just rolls over into option two. So, really, the lore stuff doesn't matter that much to me. 

I hear good things about it from people who do get into that stuff, for what that is worth!

@Khizan, these lore things were explicitly immutable as per Jeremy's initial post. Essentially offering a role is allowing us to partake in the event as if it were unfolding, yet understandably having had a fixed outcome. I like it.
  • Iniar said:
    @Khizan, these lore things were explicitly immutable as per Jeremy's initial post. Essentially offering a role is allowing us to partake in the event as if it were unfolding, yet understandably having had a fixed outcome. I like it.
    Yeah, I understand that.

What I mean is that our stance is explicitly not immutable. Nothing in the lore will decide our stance on affairs in the game, because Antioch chooses direction on the metagame criteria of "What path will be the most fun for us?".

If demonic decides to back Legion, we'll find a reason to oppose him. If demonic decides to oppose Legion, we'll find a reason to support him. So the lore doesn't affect me much because I'm not really into lore for lore's sake.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Holy hell todays thing is pretty amazing okay
  • Anette said:
    Veratyr said:
    I really like all the lore being released, but I'm bummed because I've missed a couple of the dailies. Is there somewhere all of it is being kept track of that we can access for reference?
    I have it all logged anyways, I can dump it at the end of the event if someone doesn't beat me to it.
    I just realized: I've been doing the Avyasu end of the event, so someone else should gnab the legion side and like, preserve it for posterity.
  • Anette said:
    Veratyr said:
    I just feel like something this big should have an event post or something, or a help file explaining some of the general history of Legion a bit better than it is now. It's just a really cool event that I'd like to be able to reference and use in the future. 

But anyway, thank you @anette
  • Veratyr said:
    Anette said:
    Veratyr said:
    I just feel like something this big should have an event post or something, or a help file explaining some of the general history of Legion a bit better than it is now. It's just a really cool event that I'd like to be able to reference and use in the future. 

I do agree with you there, don't get me wrong, but unless/until they do this well, I've been keeping logs.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Veratyr said:
    Anette said:
    Veratyr said:

@Veratyr, probably after the ToA they will do something like you mentioned.
  • Veratyr said:
    We have something planned, don't worry!
  • It'd be cool if the soul hunts counted toward the gem hunt achievement. 

I might have mentioned this; I can't remember what with being scatter-brained af from finals.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • I just want to apologize, I tried getting a hold of those who messaged me, but I had a root canal, and life today. But I'll try to be around more this evening. So I am not ignoring messages, I promise.
  • Elokia said:
    I just want to apologize, I tried getting a hold of those who messaged me, but I had a root canal, and life today. But I'll try to be around more this evening. So I am not ignoring messages, I promise.
    I've had a couple of those in my life, hope ya feel better :c
  • LynyssaLynyssa Australia
    As a newbie to the lands I really enjoy the horror hunts and the soul hunts. The former because it encourages me to go out and try to murder things will probably would blow my face up and the latter because it encourages me to go out and explore the lands a little.

All the others are terrifying to be apart of when you're 5% of the might of everyone else >.> Full of running around screaming knowing you'll die super quick because of how squishy you are. Still had a blast though.

In fact, that latest free for all felt exactly like that.

Having a blast in my second week here, thanks guys!
    You point your finger at Wyll and pretend to shoot.

• When in doubt, charge into battle screaming "For @Jeremy!"
  • edited May 2016
    @Elokia Thank you! Awesome job so far. I like getting daily updates with stuff like this that we can do at our own pace, and not being mad I missed the one big RP event of the day or week because of life. 

• Lartus said:
    When in doubt, charge into battle screaming "For @Jeremy!"
    Or sing a song of unicorns bathing in sunlight.  It worked for Malkav
  • I really loved the daily lore stuff as a concept. It's a great way to let people who have life obligations still participate and get some reward for being a loyal player, plus brings new lore in the game (always a fan of that), and I like that it tied into all the other events. So, kudos there, minus caveats I'll get to in a bit. 

I really do not love the aforementioned cheese. Players waving it away as, "It's okay because we always do this." <- Pretty symptomatic of something gone wrong, imo. 

We don't have a balanced game. We will never have a balanced game. We can at least try to make the playing field SLIGHTLY more level. The coin thing could have been easily fixed by making those summoned critters worth 0 points in the competition. I'd be interesting to do these in the future like we had for the Rashirmir event with everyone getting their own little bash zone. No buddies healing/buffing, no cheap tricks outside of combo classes and artis, which are just a fact of IRE life. For the record, I have the coin, I have a private house I could stuff with critters, and I have more tokens with which I could have acquired more. I just think doing twinky nonsense like that is gross and I'd rather stick to the spirit of competition. The admin, it seems at least to some degree given Jeremy's post, seems to think that's the way to go. So perhaps next time consider making the bashing a solo affair that tracks summoned critters only? That stops almost all of the twink. 

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but the FFA as is ..ick. I enjoyed combat more when it was one or two duking it out in a balanced number, not a game of who has the most combat-capable players available at any given time. I really didn't enjoy those at all. It ceases to be a competition at that point. Maybe a tourney for the spirit of an FFA without the current climate of the game ruining it in all its cheesy splendor.

Bloodbath at least works in favor of the current atmosphere of the game, I think those were much more successful. 

The Memory Match games - these are stupid. They are WAY too easy to automate. Which means that from this point forward, the top contenders in these are always going to be those with the best ping and systems. They aren't really fun without automation, either (in the way that a gem hunt is and it's less possible for coding to completely overwhelm non-coding participants in a gem hunt). 

The daily lore quests - do the intro lore sequences in a quiet room so the spam of people moving doesn't interrupt the sequence and don't block actions of an individual because hello, my system freaking out because it really wants to light those dang pipes RIGHT NOW. They could be more involved. They also desperately needed someone to edit the writing. Please, please just have a second set of eyes review those. You break my cold, black heart with all the obvious errors. :( 

Is there any reason for the player v. mob arena games to have no base alias? This is just irritating for no solid reason that I can see. Let's not do that again. 

What we lacked - 

More balance between events catering to non-basher/pker players. Even if Khizan is going to whine about it. We need more stuff for people who mostly like to socialize, design crap, dig into the lore/history. Not everyone is here for strictly mechanical reasons. 

Update the event calendar so it's not such a pain to figure out what's happening when. Also, update the daily announcement to remind people of what's upcoming that day. 

Trinkets. I kinda dig the unique items that came with anniversary events in other games. Little commemorative items that don't decay and you can only get if you are around during the event. See the 'not everyone here for mechanical reasons' bit. Charge us for them, remove some of the excessive pile o' gold burning holes in our collective pockets. 

• Fwiw, I came into the memory match 20 mins late. and completely manualled it to place 7th. I manual almost everything actually--soul trap, soul hunt, whatever. I do attack and summon souls on balance recovery, but that's pretty much it.

• We have made it where coins will not count now - sorry it took so long, took some funky code to do it.

If you did the quest the day of the mirror - you get to keep your mirror. There is also another item coming up on the last day you get to keep as well. (I always try to make fun trinkets for events).

We have been listening to complaints with games and are making notes and changes during this ToA - as well as for next year.

As far as commemorative items you can buy, it's a possibility for next year, we'll have to see what we do.

I'm not against updating WHATSHAPPENING daily for the events planned out.

Thanks for your feedback, we'll keep an eye on this thread and will try to continue to make the ToA more enjoyable.
  • edited May 2016
    A few small things:

As others have said, the timing on the events is rather terrible for EST people. I've been working 8:30a to 5:30p(one of the most common shifts in existence), and there have been many events(including important things like infestation) that I've been unable to participate in. This feels bad in a competition where there are very large prizes at stake.

Along with the above point, removing the A/B format has enabled people like Cyr who can participate in every single event to fly past people who have serious obligations on their time(like work and sleep >_>). If this weren't a competition, this wouldn't be a problem, but it is a competition, and it ends up giving the Cyr's of the world a humongous advantage. I would very strongly advise returning to an A/B format next ToA to help alleviate this problem, because it's a kind of crappy feeling knowing that you have 0 chance of 1st and a low chance of 2-10th for no other reason than the scheduling/format of things.

As a suggestion on how to handle the above two things, I think a return to A/B is necessary. With well-spaced A and B blocks, I think you could make the event accessibly timed for most of us, including your NA friends(many of which consistently can't participate in the last event of the day(even if it's an important circle-based one like Infestation =( ) ). If you were able to find the man-power to run A/B/C blocks, 8 hours apart in start time, I daresay you could make the event(and the 1st place spot) accessible to every single player. You also might make use of the forums and an Announce post to try and poll your playerbase to see what times work with all of us if you choose not to do something like an A/B/C thing.

The bashing events are entirely too long. Yes, 3 hours is an improvement over the hellish endurance fests of the past, but 3 hours is still way longer than is necessary for that sort of thing. 3 consecutive hours is a long time block to dedicate to a game, and the idea that having to leave 2.5 hours in to deal with "life" and losing all the progress you made during that 2.5 hour grind is pretty terrible, it almost certainly keeps people from participating that would actually LIKE to join. I can see absolutely no reason why a 60 minute bash-fest is not a better alternative. Honestly, 30 minutes would probably be even better.

Lastly, there are enough individual dps boosts to add variety to the event, but the disproportionately large bonus to dps that comes from having a large shrine network in DP or Necropolis has a negative impact on the event, excluding some people who might otherwise participate. It also leads to annoying walled in groups in DP that stop people that might actually want to bash the area during the event, since everyone wants to have their own personal bashing room in the area. The boost from existing shrine networks is just so massive that I don't see why anyone not in one of the big sects would even both participating beyond the 100 point mark for the easy tournie point.

Edit: Ooh, one last thing to address. Between the unintuitive help file names(I forget every single time the ToA is run that it's under ANNIVERSARY instead of TOURNAMENT or TOA), and the annoying process of manually figuring out event times in your own timezone. Is there any way to link to help files with alternative names so you could use TOA EVENTS or TOURNAMENT EVENTS in addition to the current name? And since you already store our time-zone information, is there any chance that next time you could put together a fancy little display command that would show the events listed with color-coding and times updated to match our timezone? I can't imagine it'd be too time consuming or difficult, but it would definitely be a nice touch.
  • Yeah, the times are awful for East Coast people.

It seems like many Imperianites are students, too, and it was planned during what is probably finals week for most people. End of May next year would be great, but it might just be an improvement for me--not sure.

• IniarIniar Australia
    edited May 2016
    Dicene said:
    A few small things:

As others have said, the timing on the events is rather terrible for EST people. I've been working 8:30a to 5:30p(one of the most common shifts in existence), and there have been many events(including important things like infestation) that I've been unable to participate in. 
    >.>

<.<

>.>