Skip to content

Some 1v1 Combat Ideas

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Iriaen said:
    Because really, why is Vivianne "statistically" more useful than Iriaen in a team fight? 

Because she actually shows up to the goddamned fights? 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Khizan said:
    Iriaen said:
    Because really, why is Vivianne "statistically" more useful than Iriaen in a team fight? 

Because she actually shows up to the goddamned fights? 

I had no clue you had to show up to the court to get on the scoreboard! ALL THIS TIME, I'VE BEEN HOOPIN' AT HOME IN MY DRIVEWAY AND IT DOESN'T MATTER?
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited March 2014

Diabolist Vivianne vs. Templar Xaarin.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited March 2014
    I accidentally copied over the screenshot where she'd true locked him. Except that class healing bursted through it. Granted, Xaarin isn't exactly rockin' Templar at the moment. How many artifacts do you have Vivianne?
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    he ran out of maidenhair 
  • VivianneVivianne Atlanta, GA
    edited March 2014
    Iniar said:
    I accidentally copied over the screenshot where she'd true locked him. Except that class healing bursted through it. Granted, Xaarin isn't exactly rockin' Templar at the moment. How many artifacts do you have Vivianne?
    owned
    #       Name                            Location
    10842   an obsidian and gold pipe       being held by Vivianne
    15965   a truesilver shield             being held by Vivianne
    29846   a set of silver bracelets       being held by Vivianne
    148988  a deceptive cloak of the moons  being held by Vivianne
    154155  an altar of sanctity            being held by Vivianne
    216301  a tombstone-shaped amulet       being held by Vivianne
    251533  a fluctuating crown of the moo  being held by Vivianne
    Total: 7

• I do not think you are being fair by attacking people just for telling you
    You are becoming unreasonably offensive, @Iriaen.
    (Only if we keep voting!)
  • Guys, we don't want to have to close another thread. Try to keep things productive.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Eoghan said:

Guys, we don't want to have to close another thread. Try to keep things productive.

Not possible when Iriaen is swinging around his alpha male insults and acting like a petulent child, sorry.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • edited March 2014

Iriaen said:
    I guess Iriaen does rank below a little lady like Vivianne.  But then he also ranks below Sarrius, a person who stages pre-emptive strikes against little ladies because he feels threatened by their little-ladyness.  Everything's topsy turvy.  The statpack that used to be for people to fight against artifact whores is now the exclusive domain of artifact whores, people PvP a few times a week and those who languished at the bottom for a decade or more are at the top.  Congratulations, Sarrius and Gurn, you certainly waited long enough for it to happen.
    1. Of course you rank below Sarrius; for all his myriad negative qualities, Sarrius shows up to fight. You rate below newbies who are 5% of my might, because the one DSL that newbie gets off is more than you contribute.
    2. Vanmoriel is not some new player; she is an established player with a history that is known to the parties involved. This was not "Sarrius picking on the womens cause of beta male weakness", this is "Oh, god, she's at it again, I'm not going to put up with this."
    3. Preemptive strikes are the best strikes. If you know your enemy is going to hit you, you do not have to sit there and take the first punch; we are not bound by the code of e-bushido.
    4. All this "little ladies", "male weakness", "beta male", and "alpha male" BS is hilariously awful and it makes you look ridiculous no matter what your other positions are. There is no argument you can make in which this kind of crap doesn't make you look awful.
    5. Fast was never the statpack you used to kill "artifact whores", because if they were bad enough so that they couldn't squish your <300 health self instantly, they were bad enough to be easily overwhelmed with even neutral balance and an offensive clue. Fast was the statpack you used to fight the other good fighters who weren't going to fall to "open with aconite, watch them never reset their healing balances."
    6. Read the deathsight logs sometime. People are fighting every single day

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I was actually going to stick this in the I heart thread, but relevant:

I get very little time to log into Imperian at the moment. The few times I do I almost without exception end up getting to pk, and I'm not actively going out to start trouble at the moment. (I'm also not talking about Azefel killing me when I tab out.) I can't comment on how things used to be, but there's definitely a lot of pk atm.

• VivianneVivianne Atlanta, GA
    edited March 2014
    Iriaen said:
    I guess Iriaen does rank below a little lady like Vivianne.  But then he also ranks below Sarrius, a person who stages pre-emptive strikes against little ladies because he feels threatened by their little-ladyness.  Everything's topsy turvy.  The statpack that used to be for people to fight against artifact whores is now the exclusive domain of artifact whores, people PvP a few times a week and those who languished at the bottom for a decade or more are at the top.  Congratulations, Sarrius and Gurn, you certainly waited long enough for it to happen.
    You're just upset because people can actually participate in a sport. Yes, Combat is like a sport. All sports require some sort of investment and care, from supplies to giving a crap about learning how to get the job done. You clearly would rather be winning without putting any effort into it. You come back and go "Oh shit, I just got my ass kicked. Here let me remedy that by coming up with some weird formula to change how to the game is played." You're a coot and I leave it at that.

On a side note: Imperian has the most people willing to participate and learn combat that it simply makes it all the more enjoyable. I say close to half the playerbase is interested in combat, where you have *insert another IRE MUD here* for example, with about 15-20% of their population really into combat. 
    Kudos Kudos for IMPERIAN!  Everything is going on a great path right now.
  • Ahkan said:
    Tbh, @Iriaen, I don't see much non-linear thinking in your resume :(

There was that one time he got perma-shrubbed for bug abuse after spending half the day murdering people in two attacks with bugged trioxin. That's pretty non-linear gameplay.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Azefel said:
    he ran out of maidenhair 
    I thought you were serious there for a second and I felt like a derp. :(

• Juran said:
    Ahkan said:
    Tbh, @Iriaen, I don't see much non-linear thinking in your resume :(

There was that one time he got perma-shrubbed for bug abuse after spending half the day murdering people in two attacks with bugged trioxin. That's pretty non-linear gameplay.
  • Someone said earlier that 2006 as the dark ages of Imperian. I'm not sure what era of Imperian that was, as I've forgotten most of the goings on, but I can say that without a doubt, Imperian has steadily improved, or tried to.

One thing I will say that I liked better about then over now is the playerbase. It's been a while since I last logged in, been hurt for a good while and just didn't feel like it, but the last several times I logged, there were so few people online, it felt like the whole world contained the same amount of people that just one circle had, pre-Ithaqua.

It all just felt more epic then than now. In my earlier days of playing, I can recount many awesome battles I had, good running fights that had a particular feeling to them; one in particular that stands out among my favorites was this back and forth I eventually lost in Caanae against Iriaen and Jagara. Through the course of my time here, I found that developing a healthy rivalry made it more fun. I'd have long standing grudge matches against Astridyna or Valarauko or Dregaur... in many of these grudge maches, I doubt that half of them even saw it the way I did.

As I grew as a player, I noticed that combat had less of an appeal to me than before. I'm not sure why precisely, but I think Risca hit the nail on the head when he said something about it being discouraging to have to fight someone with more artifacts on him than you could ever hope to get (paraphrased, of course). 

It's just the natural evolution of the game, and the way that we, as players are, I guess. Nostalgia is a powerful thing. No doubt Iriaen is feeling the tugs of this in some way, shape, or form.
  • Don't bump this post, he'll come back.

I can understand rivalries being a draw, I can, but that doesn't really change the fact that the game has evolved past the era of duelists. With no stage for duels to occur on (i.e a conflict system with a niche that encourages it), the game is going further and further away from that every classlead cycle.
  • @neko

Pretty sure the 2006 saw the introduction of wardens with their super OP doubleshot.

Kabal plus a handful of Kabal groupies bought L3 bows and won Imperian for a while, then Kabal wrote a classlead report that gave bowmanship a much needed nerf, and ran off to be an Idra, while the Wardens were left crying in the sand with useless bowmanship and a 4+second dsl clone.

I'm sure you remember the time - I remember you being around then.

• Hi, 

Kabal here. To clarify, I did not buy a level anything bow. I won the ToA 1v1 with a glaive and a normal bow. My reward was a level 3 artifact of my choice. No one knew how dumb bowmanship was until that moment. Enter Javon, Cedahlia, etc. I ended up going Idra because everyone said it sucked. It didn't.
  • Sorry Kabal.

Wasn't trying to insinuate that you were abusing broken mechanics or anything like that - I remember very clearly you saying that the class was broken, proving it, then getting the needed nerf. It was only the people that had copied you that were disappointed with the nerf.

I was only mentioning it because it's a pretty memorable period of Imperian, and Neko's memory is shot.

Good to see you still play btw.

• Fyraine said:

@neko

Pretty sure the 2006 saw the introduction of wardens with their super OP doubleshot.

Kabal plus a handful of Kabal groupies bought L3 bows and won Imperian for a while, then Kabal wrote a classlead report that gave bowmanship a much needed nerf, and ran off to be an Idra, while the Wardens were left crying in the sand with useless bowmanship and a 4+second dsl clone.

I'm sure you remember the time - I remember you being around then.

I know I was around then, but I was also pretty busy at the time, smack in the middle of my enlistment and frequent deployments. :)

That does seem to be right around the Harker era. Probably the time period that strikes me as the most memorable was not a good period in the game for me, or many other non-demonic players: The vodun kidnapping, hostage taking, and shakedowns, with dolls in non-decay chests locked in the towers of Stavenn. I can only remember escaping that one time out of perhaps a dozen times I got ganked.
  • edited April 2014
    Are you guys saying that Iriaen got "perma-shrubbed?" Cause that never happened.  I mean, Iriaen is still here, unlike Kabal.  I did get shrubbed for a week once for killing one person with a bug though.  I meant it as a joke since he was about to die to someone else anyway when I used an obvious bug on him, but not everyone can take a joke.

It's sad when people resort to making stuff up in an argument.  I know you guys remember how things went down.

I just wanted to point out that if you include something which shakes things up, there are going to be problems with it, there will be issues, you will die, it won't be fair, but at least there will have been something new in a game that hasn't seen anything fundamentally new in like 10 years.
    Drill baby drill because luck is a skill.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited April 2014
    It's sad when people resort to making stuff up in an argument. 

Man, this was your bread and butter...still is. I guess what we need to do is ask you what you need to get some closure for the latent butt hurt from circa 2000-2006 that will make you feel better and get you pack upon the path of the alpha. We're here to help you through this trying time, bro. 
  • This thread has been an interesting read. A question came to mind after I'd finished reading it.

Do any of you link the decline of Imperian's playerbase to it's shift away from 1v1 combat? If no, what do you attribute it to primarily?

• IniarIniar Australia
    Old age.
  • Iniar said:
    Old age.
    I don't know if I can agree with this. Achaea's population hits more than 500 during big events, and normal prime time still boasts 250+, and Achaea's older than Imperian.

• IniarIniar Australia
    Achaea got dibs on a niche market. :(
  • Apples to oranges.

Story v. No story
    Story development v. No story development
    Constant development v. sporadic development
    Small, deliberate design changes v. spray and pray
    Issues law v. wild wild west

Both games are largely team-centric. Both games are suffering from the blessing that is the death of 1v1. Only one game has a declining population. Tbh, Achaea is over populated and it's just ugh.

• edited April 2014
    As someone who has played everywhere as a fighter, I will say that 1v1 has died out everywhere not necessarily due to mechanics encouraging otherwise, but because of the mentality of a few players. In Achaea, the only folks that you'll find willing to 1v1 are heavily artifacted juggernauts and a lot of fights generally end up being full of cheese or long, drawn-out slugfests that end in a draw or someone dying due to running out of a curative or something. Exceptions to this rule is if you're playing Monk and Blademaster because they'll kill you in a drawn out fight.

For Aetolia, no one fights unless it's a group, really. Even the Sect of Blades didn't really encourage much in the way of 1 v 1. People won't fight in Aetolia unless the odds are massively in their favor and most of the time, a 1v1 just turns into people on either side itching for a fight. As a lifer, it has gotten progressively worse since the hook concept (vampires) of the game is based out of one organization whose population and newbie retention massively outweighs all of the others combined. Doesn't help that vamps are currently horrendously overpowered (Bloodborn specifically, as evidenced by their current population) and the liaison process over there is ineffective with people trying to get one another downgraded under a disguise of kindness, civility, impartiality, and none of them really fight unless it's in a group.

And for Lusternia, you'll never, ever get a 1v1. The amount of escape skills in Lusternia is borderline obscene with the availability of a wings-like artifact to all players of an organization who do an easy, though somewhat time-consuming quest for their organizations. The game's balance suffers from massive power creep since the newer classes just massively outshine some of the older ones by a huge margin. There's a TON of conflict mechanics though, many of which that I love like village revolts, but they're all group-based and involve spamming as much damage/cheese/timebomb mechanics that involve you having to run out of the room and stop your offense to prevent.

MKO? No one takes fighting in MKO seriously. That's all that need be said.

Really, Imperian has it pretty good as far as what I've seen thus far, though that perspective has been fairly limited. Count your blessings for what you have, because the rest of IRE has completely put the nail in the coffin for 1v1

Addendum: That being said, Aetolia took the most progressive step forward in keeping 1v1 alive with the Sect of Blades, but it needs a lot of refinement (that it hasn't gotten since its release) to actually make it work, be enticing and/or effective in keeping the 1v1 folks active.