Skip to content

New Aspect conflict mechanism.

2»

Comments

• I'm all for a revamp of the aspect system, but this is complex and unfun.  I'm gonna go all entitled here for a minute and just lay it out.  I bashed to 100, I deserve a reward.  The fact that the current system allows this exist is  perfectly fine.  

This alternative system  is too many words and too much crap to wade through.  It is nothing against your effort, I think effortposts are a good thing and  spur discussion.  

Basically, don't tie your conflict system into something that is moreso meant to reward people who bash a lot rather than people who bash to 100 because they have to to pk effectively. 
  • I'm not discouraged or letting anyone get to me :) thanks for the reassurance. I specifically posted this so people could have something to discuss. I think my main point behind a different PK system is allowing players to utilize more than just one ability when fighting.

With changes to gear this differently it would be able to encompass more of the population, not just aspects.

I don't think this system is all that complex either, most of the mechanics already exist within the game in some iteration.
  • The current conflict system for 1v1 in my opinion is the champion status, but with the mindset of Imperian teaming that just doesn't really spontaneously happen a lot. Key word there spontaneously, sure some champions duel it out at the spring sometimes, but generally speaking they are FOTM classes or as @Ahkan pointed out, assassin/barb/whatever else class he posted that is pretty unstoppable 1v1 at the moment, which really just makes some people disinterested. I don't know how to fix it, all I know is that I liked the old glory days of Imperian combat a lot more than I do the massive team fights, where it's just button smash and hope you focus down their top two before they focus down your top two....Even if I was ten times more horrible than I am now.

• TL;DR, for the most part, so I will admit I just skimmed it. It's too complicated to ever see any kind of implementation, and it's not very well designed, and so I will ignore it almost entirely and instead ask this question:

@Josiph : What kind of combat experience do you have? I'm asking because you don't seem to properly grasp the fact that the level difference is not the big deal here. Levels are fairly easy to get if you work at it, and once you hit the 90's, you're good as far as your health goes. Unlike Achaea, aspect abilities are largely utility; there are no endgame statpacks here that are basically combat-mandatory. 

And so, it is like this: Baasche is an aspect. He is an Aspect with 4 trans skills and zero artifacts. Khizan is an aspect. He is transcendent in everything and heavily artifacted, and so he is vastly more powerful . The difference in their combat power is astronomical, and it would still be astronomical even if Khizan was level 85, because it stems from Khizan's artifacts. 

And the problem with any small scale PvP scenario like this is that it will be utterly dominated by those of us who are the "Artifact Titans." There's a 4v4 contest every year in the Anniversary Tournament. And, prettymuch every year we get together and enter it, the winning team is Risca/Juran/Khizan/X. Why? Because tactics+artifacts trump tactics alone. Team tactics and dirty tricks are not the sole province of the plucky underdogs. 

And any combat system you make involving limited teams HAS to take that into account; this one does not. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• My combat experience is vastly from Aetolia. I based it off of aspect because that was my initial base line. After others have already pointed out, I realize that requiring aspect isn't necessary.

If you read some of the restrictions you'd notice that by preventing teams from holding more than one node, it would prevent the same three people fighting over and over again.
  • @Darin: Champion being a '1v1 system' falls apart when you attach a bashing experience bonus to it and make the easiest way to achieve it being 'bash to it'. You get a lot of PvE-centric people who refuse to show their faces outside of their city or council because they don't actually like the consequences of their free double experience buff, which basically bogs down the system to breaking in to kill them AFK and then randomly losing the status ina shardfall.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Sarrius said:
    @Darin: Champion being a '1v1 system' falls apart when you attach a bashing experience bonus to it and make the easiest way to achieve it being 'bash to it'. You get a lot of PvE-centric people who refuse to show their faces outside of their city or council because they don't actually like the consequences of their free double experience buff, which basically bogs down the system to breaking in to kill them AFK and then randomly losing the status ina shardfall.
    Your own argumente works against you. This adds additional motivation for real pk champions to find that white whale and kill it dead. Conversely, the white whales get an xp bonus and glee at listening to the rage tells when they run away! 

Seems to be working, tbh.
  • Another factor that's killing smaller scale fights is how easy it is for practically anyone to just escape without a second thought to matter. "Someone just attacked me, lets mark/ride home/insertrandomescapeability to safety!" Which in and of itself promotes teams jumping you later on down the line sadly....

• MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    edited July 2013

Khizan said:

TL;DR, for the most part, so I will admit I just skimmed it. It's too complicated to ever see any kind of implementation, and it's not very well designed, and so I will ignore it almost entirely and instead ask this question:

@Josiph : What kind of combat experience do you have? I'm asking because you don't seem to properly grasp the fact that the level difference is not the big deal here. Levels are fairly easy to get if you work at it, and once you hit the 90's, you're good as far as your health goes. Unlike Achaea, aspect abilities are largely utility; there are no endgame statpacks here that are basically combat-mandatory. 

And so, it is like this: Baasche is an aspect. He is an Aspect with 4 trans skills and zero artifacts. Khizan is an aspect. He is transcendent in everything and heavily artifacted, and so he is vastly more powerful . The difference in their combat power is astronomical, and it would still be astronomical even if Khizan was level 85, because it stems from Khizan's artifacts. 

And the problem with any small scale PvP scenario like this is that it will be utterly dominated by those of us who are the "Artifact Titans." There's a 4v4 contest every year in the Anniversary Tournament. And, prettymuch every year we get together and enter it, the winning team is Risca/Juran/Khizan/X. Why? Because tactics+artifacts trump tactics alone. Team tactics and dirty tricks are not the sole province of the plucky underdogs. 

And any combat system you make involving limited teams HAS to take that into account; this one does not. 

STUPID PERFORM FORCE TOUCH GEM OF NEGATION OMFG.

No but really we lost because @Septus ran (most) of us into your guys' room... I had a soulmaster alias set up to make Risca touch his own gem and everything that last time :[

E: Someone mentioned before Aetolia's 'autocuring'... it's not autocuring. It's apples to jellyfish. It's not even close to the same thing, at all, in really any way aside from the obvious, that they are both serverside curing. Firstaid has no real priority settings, it ticks at an ABYSMALLY slow rate... I'd be surprised if you could last 5 seconds in a teamfight with firstaid. I know people over there use it for teamfights, but Aetolia is pretty far behind us on pk evolution.

E2: @Delrayne - Use some holy ground, it's the best of the three, by a huge giant long shot. You guys have lockup, and a monolith sigil no one can pick up without wasting ~3 seconds of balance destroying, if not more, depending on area affinity. The problem with escape abilities was that they were actually unstoppable. I haven't seen anyone in literal IRL months drop a single monolith or a single hg to keep me from getting out. Honestly, my kdr would be way worse if Khizan still fought frequently to teach Magick how to stop pathfinder and tear map.
  • Holy ground is easily the worst of the three. Easily.

Only a few classes can do it, and it takes eq. "attach flame to monolith|drop monolith" can be done by anybody, costs <30 gold in materials, and is balanceless.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    edited July 2013
    Fair enough, and I also have spent over 30 consecutive hazewards trying to destroy hg in AM affinity. While mechanically we (demonic) can still attach a flame to a hazeward, thematically that's kind of lame if they are supposed to serve as a replacement, and as you guys (magick and AM) learned a while ago, though I've not seen anyone doing it since (because they don't believe a victory possible without 3:1 odds), you can flame a hazeward and then that poor summoner who only stocked hazes can't blow up his own travel prevention. :[

To amend my statement, in AM territory it's the bomb diggity, and if you don't really care about being thematically appropriate, hazewards are superior to hg outside of AM territory.

However, I do believe that 2 AM profs can consecrate, and only one demonic one can affix.

E: Sleep deprivation clarity edit.

Also... since it someone got brought up and I'm severely sleep deprived, why hasn't HG been replaced with a hazeward equivalent? I've been hit or miss with my Imperian activity, I go in and out for years at a time, but why? It's clunky and unwieldy from the point of devotioners, albeit powerful if you get it down. Because they don't have a flame sigil parallel? That surely cannot be the only reason. In my insomnia am I missing something fundamental as to why it's never been done? Hazeward stone, monolith sigil, holy idol of you not leaving this place or whatever. If flame is the big hold up, make them only able to be picked up by people in a given circle, anyone else has to use their parallel to throw and blow up the others... idk. Sorry if I'm out of it and missing something simple.
  • Duh, AM conspiracy, it's why we have all the good classes and nice things!

On-topic: I love the initiative here @Josiph, but yah, kind of all over the board. Keep at it though. I'd love to see a better Aspect system.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • edited July 2013
    Wow derailed while I was at work!

@Bathan Thank you. 

I think I should change the name of this to "new pvp system" rather than new aspect system, because now that I think about it and see everyone's opinion, it's better to be able to include everyone.

@Menoch I was very confused when someone brought up the Aetolian autocuring, because I couldn't remember anything like it. Then you pointed out first aid and it dawned on me that that was what they were referring to. Yeah that system is trash, and was specifically designed just to show people how curing worked. It had no validity in real combat, whereas autocuring here absolutely does. 

@Delrayne People running away from this combat mechanism wouldn't be an issue, it would be a timed event for the six people participating. On death they would be revived within the area, to compete again until the timer would run down. 

@Khizan I feel like I should better explain why the artifact titans hopefully wouldn't be a huge issue with this system. If each team of 3 can only capture and control 1 node at any given time, it would prevent the same team from taking over the entirety of the map. Imagine that the mechanics of my idea were changed so that if one circle happened to control six of the ten "areas", the whole area would become locked for 12 hours, and your circle would receive a buff for capturing the majority of the "areas". This buff should play into promoting the other PvP and conflict mechanisms already put into the game. For example: If you capture all of the moonstone areas, your side receives double energy generation for X amount of time, or your circle harvests shards 1.5x faster for the next X amount of time. 

This would: 
    A. Offer decent incentive to want to capture a majority of the areas, and would also tie into the already constructed conflict mechanisms.
    B. Give real accomplishment feel to the players within a circle who manage to take an "area" within the zone. 
    C. Prevent the conflict from being solely for the Artifact Titans. I'm sorry but there is no way there's 15 people in each circle who would be considered "titans" but there are definitely enough people interested in combat to be able to capture. Again I think the numbers on everything could vary based on how many people actively participate in the mechanic. If 10 areas is too many, and you're only seeing 3 sets of teams from each circle fight, lower the number to 7 or 8 areas.
  • Also, with my previous post in mind, it might be more beneficial for circles to split up their "artifact titans". Sure they'd be able to capture 1 area as a group of three relatively easily, but if your other squads are too weak to fight back, it might be more beneficial to throw Risca in one squad, Juran in one, and Khizan in the third. This way you are more likely of capturing more nodes, as opposed to just definitively capturing one.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited July 2013
    It really wouldn't make it that much more interesting. Most people in Imperian are going to go for 100% success as opposed to 33% chance of success. This still doesn't remedy the fact that this system is exclusive. This system is built on the 2006 mentality that most of us were prone to of I know how to fight better than you, I should be rewarded. That mentality is still prevalent in Aetolia and Achaea in my experience. Based on Sarrius' war torn stories of glory and honor, so is Lusternia, but has more LSD.

Imperian's really built itself to be more inclusive. Garrynbot cures better than pretty much any system in the game. Shards allow people to pk to their hearts content and suffer no backlash after the fact. Garryn even builds ez-modes in new classes so people can contribute without being l33t. Honestly, Imperian may be lacking in class development and balance (behind Aetolia and LSDernia, but it makes up in the fact that more than half our population is seasoned to some degree in pk. Anything that goes against this is silly. I feel like I've said this before. This is a lot of work to ban a huge population of the game behind and xp wall and then further thin the herd with stupid subjective requirements of skill and longevity.

I like the idea, but I think it would get more traction in other games.
  • Ahkan, I don't believe the entire idea goes against half the population being seasoned in PK. You're acting as though people are going to have negative repercussions by participating in this event. The point of it would be so that people actively participate in group based combat, without fear of a negative penalty afterwards. I don't see how it is any different from shardfalls in that regard.

I also don't see why both the shardfall mechanic and this mechanic could exist at the same time. How much would this negatively impact the mud? If nothing else it is another fun mode for more experienced players to participate in, while not as experienced players still have shardfalls to get their feet wet, like they do now.

On top of that it would suddenly become a fast paced, action oriented mechanic that none of the other IREs have, and it could potentially draw more players to this mud, who are tired of the same stale numbers game. 

I'm not saying it's this idea or bust. I wrote this out because I thought just the "game mechanics" would be fun. Having to move about and control multiple points between 3 people to overcome an enemy team. With 3 nodes, and each one worth time, it might not always be the best choice to stick together as 3 people. Movement and coordination would become necessary. 

I appreciate you posting your feedback Ahkan. Do you have any ideas on new PvP mechanisms that would make the game more enjoyable for everyone?
  • Mm, staying focused and sticking to a steady schedule of classleads while you plink away at updating classes. We're not exactly drowning in coders so it's nice to get a steady stream of development. After that, I'd honestly like to see the obelisk system get revamped so it's used more frequently. Shards keep conflict on a pretty predictable cycle. If they really wanted to up the ante, you'd have some shard falls that are just huge, like 2-3x the shards. At the end of the day, I don't think we really need -more- conflict generation.

For the combat system you and Sarrius want, I think it would be worth slapping together an arena league where dudes can compete in 3v3, 4v4 competitions for respekt and only respekt.

As it stands now, shards and obelisks feed the ho-hum aspect system as is. You're guaranteed to have a few after shock skirmishes as people try to re-seize monoliths. In time, this will fade because people will buy enough perma monoliths that they won't feel the need to show up. :effort: That being said, I'm not sure how I'd fix the aspect system. Some people have invested millions of gold into a system that probably won't refund them if it gets changed.
  • I'd be all about a 3v3/4v4 arena league for glory and epeen. 

• It's not just a 3v3 or 4v4 competition I'm looking for though. Part of the idea of the mode is to create relevance behind something OTHER than just grouping as 3 people and gibbing the first person you see. 3v3 spars are fun, and would be fun to get going, but I want a mode that challenges me to incorporate movement and tactics into my gameplay, not just SMITE TARGET over and over again until they die, along with the 7 other people I brought with me. Don't get me wrong. Team combat is fun, and I like to participate in the shardfalls, and the monolith fights.

Combat is fun, and I can appease some of my 1v1 yearning (which gives me the opportunity to wield a wider variety of my skills) in the arena and in freeforalls. 
    What no IRE has done is successfully implemented a mode that involves  fast pace, movement, and continuous action. 

What I've essentially suggested here is a miniature Arathi Basin. What WoW was able to do was bring us all these cool fun classes to play and kill each other with. Imperian has this as well. Part of the fun in WoW was moving around. It would be suddenly a whole lot less entertaining if, as soon as you engaged a target, you stood there and whacked each other the whole time. Instead they add points to capture and hold, and make it necessary for you to split up your team to win, not charge around in a group of 15.

This tactical strategy would add so much depth and intensity that just isn't seen as much in giant team fights. 

I think people would play it and see how much fun it is to incorporate other objectives into "winning" other than just being able to destroy the other team quicker. 
    That's just me I guess.
  • Khizan said:
    I'd be all about a 3v3/4v4 arena league for glory and epeen. 
    We should. I'm probably a minority in that I'm not artifacted out and I would still find it fun trying to beat a completely artifacted out team. But it'd be fun if we could get players to mix and match and have some good fights. Not to mention my offense is about 3 days old and still needs some work.
  • I would love something like what you're describing, but there are just a couple of cold hard facts here:

1. This model does not translate efficiently into a MUD, unless the MUD deals with a constant diet of different heights. If players could climb up on rooftops, duck into the sewers or something, it'd be more palatable, but right now, movement based combat is something to the tune of 'who x, path find to x, hold x down, call reinforcements.'

2. While novel, there's not a huge demand for it. People have however been very vocal about the desire to see legacy classes updated, narratives fleshed out, et cetera. You're going about it correctly by trying to invent something on your own, but people are just being plain about it. They don't feel it's needed, and coding it would divert from other, more important projects.

3. Most skills currently are not built around the sort of combat you're describing. I've mentioned before that I'd rather see Imperian combat play more like a MOBA where in certain classes can be like, support tanks, mostly crowd control, heals, actual DPS, but that opinion's not popular and would frankly warrant an absurdly tedious overhaul. Most Imperian classes that have been redesigned or created in the last five years are built to be great 1v1 classes. Every single class needs to have some kind of timebomb or momentum based offense. Neither of these translate to moving around a lot.

Again, I like the initiative, but I wouldn't expect much traction here.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • edited July 2013
    Bathan said:

3. ... Most Imperian classes that have been redesigned or created in the last five years are built to be great 1v1 classes..
    This is a source of immense frustration for me. So many classes have a cool potential for far-reaching, interesting offenses and they are simply reduced to the one-two punch combos of their class or their CC spam to be relevant because the scale, speed, and duration of shardfall skirmishes is often too much at odds with the time needed to make these awesome lines of play. This is partially why I want a lightweight system of incentives that attract 1v1 play.

EDIT: Of course, this is an idealized frustration - I know that in some ways, it is frustrating in itself that you must code a 'good' offense to be 'good' in 1v1.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • You cannot incentivize 1v1 in any super meaningful way without having a sea  of druids or Bards or flickdancers or whatever.  There is  too much rock paper scissors in Imperian .  If you incentivize 1v1 combat, it would have to be small, noncombat affecting buffs or halfass  cosmetics.   

Getting people  to participate for that isn't likely to happen.   

Things I imagine that are relatively workable:

Gurubashi Arena equivalent that is offplane  and  uses herbs.- Fight Master shouts out  victors.
    NPC arranged small team combat leagues as mentioned before. 
    Something akin to the sect of Blades in Aetolia with presitge/point decay.  Some sort of decent not combat affecting rewards.

Basically, to make it  meaningful means  you're going to get fotm and gimmicks and that  is not fun to the populace at large, no matter what the 1v1 whiteknights seem to think.  
  • edited July 2013
    Selthis said:

Something akin to the sect of Blades in Aetolia with presitge/point decay.  Some sort of decent not combat affecting rewards.

I would love this entire system, sans the Crown of Omnipotence reward (because that thing is a combat reward, not a neat cosmetic reward).

EDIT: Actually, the Gurubashi Arena idea is also really cool, honestly. We could make it an island you can powercall to.
  • I like those ideas as well!
  • As someone who only got seriously into combat because of shardfalls, I really do like what they bring to the game. That being said, I love, so much more, when it's late at night and it's only a couple people from each side.

As for your saying you don't think there are 15 titans in each circle. Thinking of magick, if we consider class and artifacts to classify them a 'titan' I can come up with ten without much effort. Khizan, Risca, Justus, Azefel, Septus, Arakis, Ziat, Mathiaus, Aulani and Xeron.
    There are certain ones on there not because they have the most artifacts, but the ones they do, plus the class they have. Me for example: Druid with defensive artifacts and skills plus an artifact quarterstaff. I'm going to make life miserable for anyone on the other side. (There are other people with more artifacts then I that participate regularly in shardfalls, but I'm not sure if they would go for something like this. Alvetta and Tikal stand out in my mind.)

I think an arena team league would be pretty nice(I had a blast during the tournament with my team.) and I would participate for the glory and epeen um, eboobs?

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    @Aulani That'd be fun, something like an arena league that happens every monday or someday with accumulated points at the end of the month to see who ranks where, kinda like a dart league.
  • I think the ranked spars system can use a revamp. Resetting the rankings more often(week/month) and providing rewards or honours/titles to top participants.
  • Incentive to participate is the best way to see participation.
  • Yay! I'm glad people are contributing ideas rather than just pooping on my idea. 

@Iluv Rewards, honors titles, cool mounts that only last for X time while you are ranked number 1, or other cosmetic bad-ass stuff. The more reasons we have to participate in stuff, the more likely we are to participate. The rankings system seems completely worthless to me right now.

@Mathiaus That sounds awesome, and I think there would probably be a few teams from each circle who would find that enjoyable. Could do 2v2 and 3v3 monthly tournaments that progress throughout each week.