Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    Mathiaus said:
    I think I said it before, but I would still like to see change aspect power to reincarnate purgable before the 12 hours completely goes through.
    I think it's only fair to make change reincarnation last 2% of a day.
  • I would like to see a city crafter list to which players may add themselves if they meet a skill level requirement.

For example, I could type something like CRAFTERLIST ADD TAILORING, CRAFTERLIST ADD CONCOCTIONS, for each of my character's qualifying skillsets.

Then if someone types CRAFTERLIST VIEW WOODCRAFTING they would see a list of active players in Antioch with the skill in question.

Yes Antioch has a file; this is a "would be nice to have" request as opposed to a "must have". 
  • edited May 2013
    Can the queue (balance and eq) system catch a little work? It's serving its purpose just fine when I'm regaining balance first. I can queue my balance and eq attacks with eqbal and eq and have them fire in order when I regain eq. If I switch to fast and use a diadem, I get eq just before balance. There is no way to manipulate the queue system to fire both attacks at the right time.

Best solution, even if it's the most involved, is to allow the separator to be queued. I know that's not an easy task, but it would be necessary to make queue usable in combat. I promise to (eventually) buy a Diadem if you fix it!
  • I'd like to suggest SWITCH PROFESSION NONE be a valid command, marking your current class as inactive (if you are Journeyman or above) and allowing you to use Cerise to join a guild as a novice, providing it matches the same Circle as your inactive professions.
  • Enryk said:
    I'd like to suggest SWITCH PROFESSION NONE be a valid command, marking your current class as inactive (if you are Journeyman or above) and allowing you to use Cerise to join a guild as a novice, providing it matches the same Circle as your inactive professions.
    The point of Cerise is for novices to join a new guild without requiring someone to be around. It is not intended to let you bypass in character interaction and dodge politics. It can be frustrating if people aren't in your timezone, but that doesn't mean that requirement shouldn't be there.
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • @Lionas And yet it is my understanding that if I were to switch Circles and forget my profession entirely, I could use Cerise to join a guild without any out-of-character delays. 

Why then is it intended to allow bypassing of character interactions and politics for new players and for cross-circle movement, but intra-circle movement is the exception?
  • Enryk said:
    @Lionas And yet it is my understanding that if I were to switch Circles and forget my profession entirely, I could use Cerise to join a guild without any out-of-character delays. 

Why then is it intended to allow bypassing of character interactions and politics for new players and for cross-circle movement, but intra-circle movement is the exception?
    You'd also get outguilded and told to do it right, in any self respecting guild.
  • It's a kludgy solution to a silly problem. Rather than implementing a band-aid fix like that or closing the Cerise loophole, it would be lovely to address why it's so difficult for a well-meaning person to acquire a profession.
  • Eusto said:
    It's a kludgy solution to a silly problem. Rather than implementing a band-aid fix like that or closing the Cerise loophole, it would be lovely to address why it's so difficult for a well-meaning person to acquire a profession.
    Because you took away Roudimus, you monsters.
  • @Lionas I can't speak for how certain players may choose to fight against the game systems, but you must agree that from a systemic perspective, the current functionality of Cerise doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • I agree that Cerise is a relic of a different era of Imperian.

Honestly, professions need to be decoupled from guilds entirely. Few guilds are still built around their single profession (or even several), and are instead built around an ideology. That should be the purpose and draw of a guild, not the base use of your skills.

I do not agree that it needs to be made easier to join a guild.
  • It's very true that we've dramatically blown the doors off of old-style profession monopoly. Is your ideal situation one where any citizen can learn his circle's professions at will?
  • Eusto said:
    It's very true that we've dramatically blown the doors off of old-style profession monopoly. Is your ideal situation one where any citizen can learn his circle's professions at will?
    I'd leave the profession rank system intact, but would probably remove the guild rank part of the equation, forcing a modest investment in the profession to keep it and decoupling guild professions. Then I'd introduce tutors that can give people each profession, at the risk of losing lessons if they switch from it before reaching Journeyman.

There are already a million people willing to apprentice, so if you're in good standing in your circle getting professions isn't a problem. It's only an issue for the unestablished and the black sheep, and I'm happy to see them have an alternative to playing politics.
  • edited May 2013
    Lionas said:
    Enryk said:
    @Lionas And yet it is my understanding that if I were to switch Circles and forget my profession entirely, I could use Cerise to join a guild without any out-of-character delays. 

You'd also get outguilded and told to do it right, in any self respecting guild.

A while back, Khizan joined the Lorekeepers guild at 6am and learned up to class in maybe ~10-15 minutes, and was Master Runeguard before a secretary could log on. At that point, I was a full guild member without ever interviewing or speaking with a guild member, and they just had to make do. The leadership all wanted to kick me out, but they didn't do it because nobody wanted to get hunted down for pushing the button.

And that's why there's a time restriction on learning out of novicehood now. :(

EDIT: Of course, Lorekeepers were about as far as it is possible to get from a self-respecting guild.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited May 2013
    @EustoThankfully, I found a very kind soul willing to break with protocol in my character's case. Whew!

Still, had the normal process been followed, it may have taken up to a RL week just to get into a friendly guild (from none, with no enemies). I don't think that's sensible - I get the IC reasons to be apprehensive and cautious, but can't there be IC ways of enacting those suspicions without allowing players to withhold basic skills and community membership for RL days in the mistaken belief that it's fun RP?

I think the same of the novicehood system. There was no need to have players putting significant hurdles in front of people even though it might have made good IC sense, because it often became terribly onerous to jump through player-designed hoops just to get the rest of your skills. I like the automated system for novicehood, and really, joining a guild is probably close to the same category.

Isn't the affinity system the way that rogues are handled? If it's not enough, and a rogue can really do damage, can't some penalty to profession skills be added? 

Edit: Actually, on second thought, penalising profession skills through affinity is a terrible idea. Rogues that are dangerous are far more interesting than rogues that can't actually fight. And I'm really doing the same thing I'm arguing against - confusing IC penalties with OOC penalties.
  • This is such a minor thing, but being able to CONFIG UNITS <METRIC/IMPERIAL> would be rather nifty too. Not that I really know why mobs and things have weights, to be honest.
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    the point is obviously so it'll justify being able to carry around 49 creepers that weigh 700 lbs each, but not a bed.
  • The only thing I've seen weight taken into account for is necromancy bone, and even then only as a minimum requirement.
  • Doesn't it apply to intimidate in some manner?
  • Dicene said:
    Doesn't it apply to intimidate in some manner?
    Yes, that's true - intimidate is a contest of weight.
  • The ability for Xiur to join Kinsarmar would be nice. I know the underlying roleplay for the whole Xiur/Ryadai event, but restricting an entire race from joining a city due to it is a little silly.

I think this is complicated a bit by the fact that members of Kinsarmarian guilds aren't even able to reincarnate into Xiur due to game mechanics. What if someone wanted to shake things up a bit?

@Aulani is here, being a giant, scandalous rock. The horror.

The Bards will surely gossip now.
  • I was here for the Xiur/Ryadai event, and I don't even remember the underlying roleplay. It's past time to remove the stupid requirement.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I am fine with relaxing that, but we are not going to do an event for it, that will be up for the Kinsarmar leadership, we will just remove it. Is that what you want?

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited May 2013
    Wait. It never occurred for Kinsarmar to actually ask the gods to remove that?
  • They've asked repeatedly, and it's been shot down repeatedly. I guess the problem is that they were asking their patrons or whatnot, and not buddy Avasyu.

• Jeremy said:
    I am fine with relaxing that, but we are not going to do an event for it, that will be up for the Kinsarmar leadership, we will just remove it. Is that what you want?
    Please let me be a giant, scandalous rock.

This may or may not have to do with the fact that Khizan is now over two feet taller then Aulani.
  • Pff. You should be a giant scandalous rock because eating people is awesome.

• edited May 2013
    Another suggestion: CONFIG AUTOQUEUE <ON/OFF> (Important: default for new players is ON.)
    Automatically adds commands that require equilibrium, balance or both to the relevant queue. See HELP QUEUEING.

Given that the queues only hold one command at a time, I don't think this would cause any problems. I only realised (or was reminded) that this feature exists today - but it really is such a nice way of overcoming connection disadvantages that I don't really see any reason why it couldn't be simply on all the time.

Edit: Also, is it possible to have any generic targetted mob attack prioritise aggressive mobs over passive ones? As in, if there are two "caiman" in the room - caiman00001 and caiman00002 - and caiman00002 is already attacking me, KICK CAIMAN will look through the list of aggressive mobs first instead of just the lowest/highest numbered one and target caiman00002 with my attack. Very small convenience feature, but it would be nice.