Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• Anette said:
    Jeremy said:

This causes a few problems, like counting undead kills for killing those guys. Let me talk to the team and see if we cannot come to a solution at some point. Probably a good idea to IDEA this too so it does not get too lost.

Would making Stalk for named ents require the name rather than the alias fix this?

Maybe. Those are not names the same way as pets and stuff though. I could maybe make an exception for bosses to not use certain words like undead and spirit, but that would be a ugly hack. Either way, will probably have to wait until after the ToA.

• It's really only a change for me at the moment, and while the ToA is going on I doubt I'll be hunting much.. so it's no big deal.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."
    (Ring): Lartus says, "Then it exploded."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • How hard would it be to make it so if "II <thing>" fails, it automatically tries "II TITLED <thing>", I wonder?  If you're worried about breaking existing systems, you could always make this a CONFIG option.
  • edited April 2016
    Getting forcefully bashed into another room with with hostile minions and not being able to get balance back and GTFO before I get out is quickly becoming a huge pet peeve of mine in the new bashing areas.

[edit]: especially when it happens such that you get chained into it so quickly instant revive doesn't even cool down before you're dead again.

[edit2]: I'm tempted to borrow a +3 con arty and see how many times I can get thrown across the area in completion before I die.
  • edited April 2016
    So I'd edit this in but it's past the hour or whatever.  I thought further on this while I was wandering the 45min walk to and from somewhere to get food since there was scarce in the house, and I think the thing that bothers me so deeply is it feels like there isn't much I can do about this situation when I get into it other than queue getting out on the eqbal and hoping the game is charitable with me.  Even the old aeon stuff such as we see on certain mobs still had something you could do about it (smoking a pipe) and every other aff I can think of that a mob gives you has some sort of either counteraction, or in some cases, preparation that you can do to counter it, whereas the many mobs that bash you around (the new ogres you have in Skegdald, or many demoner mobs in UW Stavenn) have no defense I can find against being moved, and the only real "counteraction" is to move back - if you don't die.  This wouldn't be so bad if both the before-mentioned mobs weren't in areas with the potential for large groups that are aggressive that group.  Getting hucked into 6 endgame mobs with reasonable damage and strong afflictions (add stun and off-balance affs for good measure in many cases) and it can feel a little like there really isn't anything you can do to get out of that situation when you're in it, and that's when the game feels like it's just messing with me, which is a quick route to frustration.
  • Jeremy said:
    Juran said:
    This seems like a common complaint, but could GMCP Comm.text actually include just the text and not mirror the entire line back? Or optionally, have a secondary return that is just the text?

Like, this is not helpful at all:
    channel = tell Jules
    talker = Jules
    text = Over the roaring of waves, Jules tells you, "Test."
    I will look into this. It may potentially break the Nexus client comm windows, so we may have to coordinate some changes with the client to make that possible.

Edit: I suppose we could just add another line with the plain text as @Anette said. I will look into it.
    This is done and has been added as a 'raw' variable.

• Jeremy said:
    Jeremy said:
    Juran said:
    This seems like a common complaint, but could GMCP Comm.text actually include just the text and not mirror the entire line back? Or optionally, have a secondary return that is just the text?

Like, this is not helpful at all:
    channel = tell Jules
    talker = Jules
    text = Over the roaring of waves, Jules tells you, "Test."
    I will look into this. It may potentially break the Nexus client comm windows, so we may have to coordinate some changes with the client to make that possible.

Edit: I suppose we could just add another line with the plain text as @Anette said. I will look into it.
    This is done and has been added as a 'raw' variable.
    You are pretty awesome, you know that?
  • edited April 2016
    Anette said:
    So I'd edit this in but it's past the hour or whatever.  I thought further on this while I was wandering the 45min walk to and from somewhere to get food since there was scarce in the house, and I think the thing that bothers me so deeply is it feels like there isn't much I can do about this situation when I get into it other than queue getting out on the eqbal and hoping the game is charitable with me.  Even the old aeon stuff such as we see on certain mobs still had something you could do about it (smoking a pipe) and every other aff I can think of that a mob gives you has some sort of either counteraction, or in some cases, preparation that you can do to counter it, whereas the many mobs that bash you around (the new ogres you have in Skegdald, or many demoner mobs in UW Stavenn) have no defense I can find against being moved, and the only real "counteraction" is to move back - if you don't die.  This wouldn't be so bad if both the before-mentioned mobs weren't in areas with the potential for large groups that are aggressive that group.  Getting hucked into 6 endgame mobs with reasonable damage and strong afflictions (add stun and off-balance affs for good measure in many cases) and it can feel a little like there really isn't anything you can do to get out of that situation when you're in it, and that's when the game feels like it's just messing with me, which is a quick route to frustration.

PvE in Imperian basically only has two difficulties. The first is "too easy" and the second is "**** it". The location of the line between them varies based on your class/level/artifacts, but the areas themselves do not. If the mobs are destroying you, the area is of type ****-it and you should go somewhere else.

This is because Imperian has no real PvE mechanics whatsoever. You mindlessly spam "attack target" and you're either tanky enough to handle it easily or you're untanky enough that you shouldn't be there at all. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited April 2016
    Khizan said:
    Anette said:

PvE in Imperian basically only has two difficulties. The first is "too easy" and the second is "**** it". The location of the line between them varies based on your class/level/artifacts, but the areas themselves do not. If the mobs are destroying you, the area is of type ****-it and you should go somewhere else.

This is because Imperian has no real PvE mechanics whatsoever. You mindlessly spam "attack target" and you're either tanky enough to handle it easily or you're untanky enough that you shouldn't be there at all. 

The specific problem here with the way mobs push you to other rooms like that is if you're in an "iffy" area - ie one you can take if you avoid clots of enemies in large groups - it turns a "maybe" into a "nope!" - I still bash underworld Stavenn because its basically the one consistent source of the demons for that one acheivement, but I hate myself doing it.  I will probably never ever bash underworld Stavenn again after I get that achievement because I hate myself and hate Imperian putting myself through it, but I'm a glutton for achievements.

Skegdald is dicier.  I like what @Druu has done with it, like a lot, especially the myriad little touches that are there like the fighting pit or some of the items you find scattered about.  It's not terribly complicated perhaps but there's a lot of thought and work into having some different things to do there and the mob variety is fairly high, but it only takes a couple times when I'm chained between 3-4 rooms before I even get balance back before I am like, well sod it.  And it frustrates me more there because it's an area that other than that I really quite enjoy.  A lot.  I'm sure the novelty will wear off at one point but I'm all for redoing areas like that, it keeps things fresh, and the quests are neat too.

• Anette said:
    Skegdald is dicier.  I like what @Druu has done with it, like a lot, especially the myriad little touches that are there like the fighting pit or some of the items you find scattered about.  It's not terribly complicated perhaps but there's a lot of thought and work into having some different things to do there and the mob variety is fairly high, but it only takes a couple times when I'm chained between 3-4 rooms before I even get balance back before I am like, well sod it.  And it frustrates me more there because it's an area that other than that I really quite enjoy.  A lot.  I'm sure the novelty will wear off at one point but I'm all for redoing areas like that, it keeps things fresh, and the quests are neat too.
    The risk is the only thing that keeps areas interesting, imo. Without some kind of wombo combo, most areas just aren't going to kill people.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Khizan said:

Anette said:
    The risk is the only thing that keeps areas interesting, imo. Without some kind of wombo combo, most areas just aren't going to kill people.
    Yeah I'm quite happy with the adjustment they made to the probabilities, it seems a fair compromise.
  • edited April 2016
    I bought an Aryana choker from Ultrix (shout out to @Ultrix), and Owyn (shout out to @owyn) coded me a nifty little thing that lets me switch between Sukhder and Aryana choker depending on who I'm talking to.

However, I get spam like:

You remove a pulsating choker of Sukhder.
    You are now wearing a pulsating choker of Aryana.
    You aren't wearing a pulsating choker of Sukhder.
    You are already wearing this item.

I can gag those messages, but other people can't.

Can we have a way to switch between assembly items? Like if I'm wearing a Moradeim and Sukhder anklet, can I switch between them at will without having to have one put on one above the other? Same with the choker.

SWITCH CHOKER <name> or SWITCH ANKLET <name> to use one over the other is what I'm essentially asking for.
    (Ring): Lartus says, "I heard Theophilus once threw a grenade and killed ten people."

(Ring): Zsetsu says, "Everyone's playing checkers, but Theophilus is playing chess."
  • DIRECTORY <item> show shops in order of price from lowest to highest.

• DIRECTORY <item> show shops in order of price from lowest to highest.
    Even better would it displaying what price it is at each shop in another table column.
  • Anette said:
    DIRECTORY <item> show shops in order of price from lowest to highest.
    Even better would it displaying what price it is at each shop in another table column.
    Even better would be it displaying what actual item is at each shop in another column, so I didn't waste time going to shops that don't actually have the weapon I'm looking for, just custom templates. >_>
  • All-in-all, directories could be improved.

• All-in-all, directories could be improved.
    B-b-bonus round: DIRECTORY <thing> LOWEST to display the cheapest place with each instance of a unique matching thing.
  • If someone is already harvesting a shard in a room, allow PATH TRACK SHARD to go to the next closest one.

• IniarIniar Australia
    Or, like, have one shop for the whole game.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • If someone is already harvesting a shard in a room, allow PATH TRACK SHARD to go to the next closest one.
    You can already path find shard from within a room with a shard to find the next closest. I don't think I like the idea of having pathfinding just automatically avoid occupied rooms.
  • Half the time when I use path track shard I'm hoping to find somebody at the shard.

• So if I walk in and Khizan is harvesting, if I do PATH TRACK SHARD again it'll go to the next one?

That's what I was asking for. If it already does this, I didn't know.

• So if I walk in and Khizan is harvesting, if I do PATH TRACK SHARD again it'll go to the next one?

That's what I was asking for. If it already does this, I didn't know.
    Well yes and no.  If you're in a room with a shard, PATH TRACK SHARD finds the *next closest* room with a shard, I'm pretty sure.  Harvesting doesn't really figure into it.
  • They changed it.. three years ago. If you walk into a room with a shard and PATH FIND SHARD again, it'll path you to the next closest shard that isn't in the room you're currently standing in.
  • However, if I am harvesting a shard in your room and Juran is harvesting a shard in the room one east of us, PATH TRACK SHARD is probably just going to ping pong you back and forth between us.

• DimitriDimitri Somewhere cold
    Now I'm imagining a game of Pong between you three with your forum pics as the paddles and ball, and the Theophilus ball getting redder (purple-er cause his is blueish?) as he gets more frustrated. 
    Be short lived, Khizan-paddle would probably spike him into the Dis-tance pretty quick.
  • idea Allow LIBERATE ASPECT to reverse Moradeim reincarnation.

• Allow DEF to show time left on Moradeim reincarnation.

• Allow DEF to show time left on Moradeim reincarnation.
    Alternatively, perhaps put it on COOLDOWNS if it can fit into that system.