Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• Selthis said:

So just to be sure I'm clear, it resets them back to the the start of the current wave. So if I'm on wave 4 and blow it, it will reset it back to wave 4.  Not wave 1? And if the boss is dead, it will reset it back to 1 immediately.

That's how it's been working, yes.
  • edited February 2015
    Eoghan said:

Ah, I see, you want a way to force other players to view a particular help file in your preferred display format. No, that isn't something we'll be supporting.

I had this problem when I was running the Crusaders' crossword puzzles and posting them as newsposts - if you do not use a monospace font, you don't get to see my cool ascii art!

(Relatedly, how does anyone play this game using a non-monospace font? Nothing will ever line up with formatting!)
  • Cadeyrn said:

Eoghan said:

CONFIG PAGELENGTH and CONFIG WRAPWIDTH both impact help file display.

Some older helpfiles are written with manual line endings at 80 characters, but new helpfiles are written without these manual line endings so as to wrap conveniently with whatever pagelength is used.
    I was trying to make up a pretty chart for plants, locations and their appropriate months.

Is there some trick to getting these to look right across a variety of displays?
    I did this. Theophilus has it. 
  • 3P message for scourge fading.

1P message for a hypnosis trance finishing.

I can gimmick both of them to within 1-2s of actual in the worst case, but it's aggravating.
  • So for a crazy new idea, i got an idea for a new class, yes i know knight is currently undergoing a big revamp but the alcohol in my system makes this sound like a decent idea. So first things first, it would be kinda steampunkish, gauntlets encasing the arms of the users, nice big metal things created with whatever passes for decent metals in the game, secondly it would be available to all classes since it uses things like chargers and other items that might be thrown into a main class skill for it to upgrade IE: chargers add electric damage,. It would have two methods of straight damage, a punch for blunt damage, and an attached blade for sharp damage, plus whatever modifiers the user is using. Another nice idea is an overload point where the gauntlet gets so hot it causes fire damage but has a small chance to hurt the user, the cooldown method would provide cold attacks and negate the fire, these skills could be learned together or apart. Since this gauntlet would be the primary means of attacking it would probably need a way around aura's and shields it would need some type of raze skill so that aren't totally screwed when a shield goes up. A final note would be the trans instant kill that seems to be in most classes, a combining of all the elements, IE charger, overheating, cooldown, into a concentrated beam of energy that would rip the target apart if the attack hits. As for the two other skills, probably just throw in trailblazing, since its so common now and something that might be circle specific. Just a thing i would like to see in Impy, i know this post will get ripped apart by other people but atleast i voiced it.
    Never give up, never surrender, and if you have to die, take some of them with you.
  • IniarIniar Australia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Artifact Upgrades              XP Points Cost      Gold Cost     Owned
    Saboteur's Bone Upgrade               200,000      2,000,000        No
    Cloak of Obfuscate Upgrade            100,000      1,000,000        No
    Gem of Transmutation Upgrade          200,000      2,000,000        No
    Gloves of Harvesting Upgrade          400,000      4,000,000        No
    Caravan Crop Level 2 Upgrade          100,000      1,000,000        No
    Caravan Crop Level 3 Upgrade          200,000      2,000,000        No
    Smoked Glass Pipet Upgrade            100,000      1,000,000        No
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • I would really like some kind of PK flag for readlog deathsight, so that I can ignore all the bashing deaths.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• An artifact that stops mobs from throwing you out of the room while bashing. Looking at you UW Stavenn :(
  • Khizan said:

I would really like some kind of PK flag for readlog deathsight, so that I can ignore all the bashing deaths.

How about a separate log altogether. READLOG PK. And include the kill type. Cutting/blunt/bleed/instakill name.
  • H:550/550 M:454/430 B:0 <eb pp> <db> D:0 F:0 K:0 put thing in bag
    A drakeskin feedbag is not a container.

Can the drakeskin feedbag please lose the generic "bag" keyword"?

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited March 2015
    If Sects are here to stay they need to be able to set up Referendums.
  • @Kabaal The wind-up to hypnosis before you can make suggestions was removed some time ago. The reason there isn't a delayed message for success is that there isn't a delay.

@Sadey New profession design is out of the scope of this thread. You could make a new thread for discussion of that particular idea (or new profession ideas in general), but I will go ahead and say that Steampunk in general is not a theme or aesthetic we're interested in for Imperian. If you can describe the class without calling it steampunk, and without that being the clear design aesthetic, it would fit better.

@Iniar I'm not sure what you're trying to say by pasting the crop upgrades into this thread.

@khizan RE: Deathsight log - That would be possible to do, but not in the way the log is currently implemented. This is going to be pretty low priority if it does happen, but it's on the list of possibilities

@khizan RE: feedbag - This item will now only respond to feedbag

@selthis Something like those AB changes is something I'd like to do. It isn't top of the list right now, but bringing it up here might get someone else working on it sooner!

@arakis Sect referendums are planned, just haven't pulled the trigger there yet.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote

• I wasn't talking about the success/fail messages on the HYPNOTISE command, but rather about an alert when a sealed trance runs dry, at the very least if you're in the same room. Not really a major thing either way, just aggravating.

• Kabaal said:

I wasn't talking about the success/fail messages on the HYPNOTISE command, but rather about an alert when a sealed trance runs dry, at the very least if you're in the same room. Not really a major thing either way, just aggravating.

Perhaps just trigger hypnosis break at that point?
  • H:520/520 M:430/430 B:0 <eb pp> <db> D:0 F:0 K:0 shield crash ground
    You repeatedly crash your shield against the ground, causing a mighty shockwave.

This would look so much cooler if it were one big Captain America shield smash and not me flailing my shield at the ground like I'm trying to kill an invisible spider.

• On the new AB format, that is something we have been wanting to do since Achaea rolled it out. It is a lot of work though. At least the way they did it. 

It is on the list.

• Jeremy said:

On the new AB format, that is something we have been wanting to do since Achaea rolled it out. It is a lot of work though. At least the way they did it. 

It is on the list.
    Liaisons in Aetolia can submit changes/revisions to AB's. You could accept AB revisions from classleads or players.
  • Ah, that is cool beans. I am looking through their code for it now.

• edited March 2015
    QOL: If I can tear through the hardened earth with my adamantium claws, burrowing a hole large enough to submerge myself, allies, or enemies, this shouldn't happen when I try to simply DIG without a shovel: Soon however, you break a nail and quit trying. :(  #givethosewithartifactclawsdigability
    “We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • VerexaVerexa Canada
    edited March 2015
    Please implement an in-character circle channel for combat and cross-org purposes only and remove the XP restriction for ring-only (same circle and same room would be the criteria).
  • Hrm, I know Demonic is still having trouble with some people who are apparently icky, but making everything IC might not be all it's cracked up to be.  Rings fill a gap I never fully understood before Imperian.  Because it's the default and because of the way rings function (almost, but not quite like a clan), they're a great, low-commitment way for the circle to welcome new players (or at least they can be!), and for the actual players to get to know each other a bit.  They also allow people to clarify intent in ways that just aren't possible IC.  I admit I haven't had to deal with people constantly waving ascii dicks around though (or at all).  It's easy for me to sit here and guess that there are a couple of players (or a few) who need a boot up the butt, but I can't really know.  From my end, this change wouldn't be an improvement (but I get that it might be from your side).  I guess at the very least, let's not be too hasty.  
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    edited March 2015
    @Jules I've heard some crazy stuff in my time, but nothing compared to what supposedly goes on with what these people claim as deliberate sexual offenses.

Some people let the things that bother them control his or her life. Just how it goes.

We are all supposed to be empathetic or sympathetic to a point that we change all of our ways so we appease a handful of people instead. Which is cool. Peace and love all around, you know?

I've seen things as well, but that's not the point. The point is not the game or rings or anything related to this actually. I'm sick of seeing people weighed down so much by their past experiences and forget that this is their one and only life to live, and by letting others control how you should feel controls how you should live.

You will argue then that I'm telling you how you should feel, and I can't disagree to a point. But is it so bad for someone to tell you not be be ruled by your fears?
  • edited March 2015

A strictly IC channel would be dead because there's just not that much to talk about strictly ICly; there is a reason you never really see city channels active. That aside, combat really isn't an IC sort of business.

The problem is not "rings are OOC", the problem is "Mathiaus is a douchebag and everybody just lets it slide."

• VerexaVerexa Canada
    edited March 2015
    I don't know what a good solution would be. Berating them, as I did last night, didn't solve anything and neither did politely asking them to stop. I'm not personally bothered by much but I was enraged by their inability to respect a newbie's polite request to change the topic of conversation on the ring. I only wish I had rt on from the beginning and I hadn't jumped in so late so I could have at least avoided going full hulk in 0.5 seconds.

I don't mind coordinating combat strategy and doing shardfalls and caravans with people in my circle but I'm officially done with last night's participants. Ring is supposed to be a shared resource, not a personal clan. I'm not even going to go into great depth to try to explain why your suggestion is ludicrous and offensive, @Mathiaus, but you should honestly know better than to throw your anecdotes at me in a poor attempt to make me endure that ring's stupidity in the name of taking the high road or whatever bs coping strategy you're trying to espouse. (Which is a scummy thing to do by the way, because those kinds of stories aren't yours to tell.)

To return to this thread's topic, I realize an IC-only circle channel would suffer from all those issues but I'm not sure how else to mitigate the mindless chatter that seems to inevitably turn ugly. I am not interested in policing people who are supposed to be old enough to curb their own behaviour and I feel like this sort of talk wouldn't occur on something strictly IC so I wouldn't have to do any policing. Any suggestions?
  • Is the argument really..."it's ok if I ruin everyone else's day as long as I feel better after it"
  • Perhaps a simple ( and temporary?) solution to this is to add another channel to rings one of which has stricter policies and is mandatory, the other for general chat.

Add the facility to toggle both on/off independently.