Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Regarding @Inair's suggestion, splitting the examine text into a better visual display would let worn items be featured a bit more prominently without forcing spam onto people. The lack of a visual break between description and items, and having items listed in a huge string just creates a lot of textual noise, so I've found myself just skimming over most everything when I examine people. Aetolia's attire system is pretty nice (including the hide option for your 50 rings), but I'm sure there is a range of ways you could differentiate, which would result in descriptions looking nicer AND making worn things feel a bit more important. Some example ideas could line breaks or formatting to distinguish between clothing and description, a color config for either clothing or descriptions and/or cheaper customization options for artifacts/artifact transfer option. I'm assuming it's expensive/doesn't exist here since everyone has the exact same artifacts whenever they loan them out, but this kind of thing is really a great impulse buy. I spend credits all the time in other IREs to customize artifacts or consolidate their powers onto a few items.

Imperian seems a bit frustrating with QL and movement messages for combat in general. It's really hard to figure out who is in an adjacent room already (am I missing the config to turn off titles :/) or who has gone where/entered and I admit I struggle a lot to pull out names with the variable displays (mounts, aspects (I think that is what gives a different entrance message?), these new artifacts). Mudding is often about recognizing blocks of words versus reading every line and the range of ways names are displayed in a room/enter message/leave message makes that hard. 
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    ^The \a+ form of (.*), Aspect of \a+ enters from the (\a+)\.
    #sub {%1 enters from the %2.}

^(\a+.*), Aspect of \a+ leaves to the (\a+), a feeling of \a+ leaving with h..\.
    #sub {%1 leaves to the %2.}

among other things :(
  • Yeah, I'll probably make subs for all that stuff later.
  • While I realize the administration is likely busy on a number of things but since we're on the subject of clothing and this is somewhat related, I talked with Ozreas yesterday and we talked about Aetolia's artifact powers. It looks really, really weird when your character is possibly wearing three sets of boots in order to maintain the mechanics of all three artifacts concurrently. Could there be a system in place where we just get the power of the artifact and the ability to "imbue" or "infuse" the effect onto the article itself. Instead of a Level 3 Int Sash, I can just put the Level 3 Int power on a hat or something and wear it to get the same effect.
  • Indeed there could, it's a fairly big project, though, so I really cannot tell when we'd get around to doing that.
  • Ahh the hat that makes you smarter. The nostalgia of it brings a smile to my face.
    Never give up, never surrender, and if you have to die, take some of them with you.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Yiff! Is why we have collars :(
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Khizan said:

We should turn the damage collars into something else that is less dumb. Ring, amulet, hat, pants, codpiece, whatever.

I've been thinking of ideas to customize artifacts and I think it is pretty dumb that, no matter what I come up with for the collar, I will still be putting a collar on like some kind of lameass hot topic douchebag.

Think less "spiked dog collar" and more "sheer linen collar", a la this classy sir. The attached formal shirt collar is a more recent development in dressware; originally it was a detachable piece.

I assume this is the article intended when the artifact was originally named, as the effect seems in line with the academic professions which tended towards wearing them.
  • Khizan was just complaining about pants over his armor. Pretty sure that collar is not going to fly.
  • "Made to be worn around the neck, this collar of diablerie is of some sort of unknown, black metal."

Pretty sure that's not a linen shirt collar.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    I googled 'black collar' and it's mostly NSFW. :(
  • RaykelRaykel Romania
    Iniar said:
    I googled 'black collar' and it's mostly NSFW. :(
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

• Change the Golden Lyre of Shallah sot hat you have to be wielding it to play it; this would do away with the ability to pass the lyre around and let multiple people take advantage of it.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Khizan said:

Change the Golden Lyre of Shallah sot hat you have to be wielding it to play it; this would do away with the ability to pass the lyre around and let multiple people take advantage of it.

Or make it owner only.
  • Can't wield artifacts you don't own, so my change makes it owner-only by default.

• While that suggestion seems reasonable to me, it isn't something that is likely to change outside of a classlead round, so this thread isn't the best place for it.

This thread is intended predominantly for day-to-day life improvements. To that end, please try to keep combat-related issues in other threads (like the classleads thread or a new artifact balance thread) to keep this one from becoming too cluttered or difficult for me to keep up with.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited March 2014
    @Eoghan

You're attempting to moderate a thread without mod privileges. I love you, but...

But after this you may get them.

Edit: He makes a valid point and I moved Khizan's idea to classleads. 
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Ok. http://www.imperian.com/races On this page, there should be pictures of the races, but all I'm getting is error symbols on my iPad. Could we get this fixed? (Will check on my laptop/com later)
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Also, can we get this fixed? http://www.imperian.com/gods
  • If you click the God links, they link to the current helpfiles.

I do agree though, can we get a new section advertising the sect/cult system?
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    Not waiting for classlead rounds to make some changes would greatly improve the game's ability to not be annoying as shit in some circumstances
  • We could always just have another classlead cycle, but that would involve us starting a project people want, as opposed to stuff I don't agree with the point of (like the recent PvE changes) or an undisclosed minigame skillset.

We might be too close to Tournament of Ages, though.. not that we've heard any news on that front either.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Ahkan said:
    But after this you may get them.
    Yup.
  • I'd love it if the artifact "show" command listed what the artifact does. The help files, particularly the miscellaneous file, can be pretty unwieldy. It'd probably be a lot of work, though :(
  • Lalitana said:

I'd love it if the artifact "show" command listed what the artifact does. The help files, particularly the miscellaneous file, can be pretty unwieldy. It'd probably be a lot of work, though :(

Having just spent the last 2.5 days at work copying data from an excel spreadsheet into code, "Nah, it'll take 3 hours, tops."
  • I'm sure this'll never happen but it would be interesting to have a clan or Skype chat wherein admin and a handful of players could bounce ideas off each other as mechanics/narrative goes.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Lalitana said:
    I'd love it if the artifact "show" command listed what the artifact does. The help files, particularly the miscellaneous file, can be pretty unwieldy. It'd probably be a lot of work, though :(
    I'm going to start filling these in, but it will be time consuming. It will be a gradual process between working on other projects.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Garrynbot improvements (not all of these are mine)

-Autocuring Priority hemotoxin 0:
    When a bad hunter uses a bad high-tier affliction and triggers it, I'd like to be able to set that to priority 0 so I don't cure it and auto-spam myself into brainmelt.

-Autocuring Affliction Add Reckless/Confusion/Slow-balance/Slow-equilibrium/Lethargy
    There are some masked affs out there that I can pick up client side, but I can't influence garrynbot without diagnosing. Can we have a syntax to tell garrynbot we have an affliction. (Yes it should allow you to be wrong

-Ability to prioritize smoking a cure before trying to herb version