Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Could we have ARTIFACT LIST include credit prices as well for the search? Example: ARTIFACT LIST 100 would show me all the available artifacts listed as 100 credits to purchase.
  • I'd like to see an additional function added to Weaponry's Quickdraw skill that will allow a player to always draw/sheathe a weapon from/into the same scabbard. Something like QUICKDRAW SET <weapon> <scabbard>.

This way I don't end up with nonsense like my sitara in a scabbard and a claymore in a wrist sheathe while cycling weapons.

• Can activated tattoos be an addition to what shows in DEFs (IE touch owl -> DEF: Enhanced exp gain or something like that)?
    (Only if we keep voting!)
  • Some, but not all, tattoos show as defences in the defence readout. Owl is one such defence.

The full list of tattoos that currently show in DEF should be: firefly, feather, shield, mindseye, cloak, owl, torch, chameleon, hood.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • There is a def message for the owl tattoo, it should be something like "The aura of the owl surrounds you."

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Oh ebheffee *facepalm* I see it now. Sorry @Eoghan!
    (Only if we keep voting!)
  • When in doubt about your defences, you can use DEF RAW to get a short, standardized output of your current defs. Most (but not all) defences use the newer defence system, and so will show their raw defence names in that output. Exceptions mostly include things that are not activated defences and that are not quite defs persay (like guild experience bonuses).
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Regarding death: What the dis?

-The 'death room' where everyone waits for charon needs to be a 'silenced' room. You can't use says.
        (Who thought it was a good idea to put all dead players in the same room who can talk?)
        (The issues that come from shit talking are amazing. Player1 says omg u are a jerkface. Player2 says lolurdumb. Player 1 files issues.)

-While in the death room, you should not be able to use any sort of communication. (To facilitate getting the eff out of Dis) The exception is the newbie channel and probably messages

-Dis needs to kick you out (auto rezz in Caanae) after 5-10 minutes. We got rid of permanent grace and have no reinstated it with afk Dis

2nd author - Wysrias
  • No reason for Dis to be a safe haven for people whose only activity is stirring the pot.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Man, not even that. It really helps the environment (and issue logs) if you

-Cannot talk trash to the dude who killed you.
    -Cannot talk trash to the guy who is talking trash that you just killed.  <-- I do this.
    -Cannot talk from Dis.

I mean, no one is happy when they die. If you remove their ability to communicate for about 60s, that's enough time for most adults to be like *shrug* wtfever and go back about their business.

Regarding the "rebels": This is going to keep Kryss, Vanmoriel, and the like from Amaris'ing out of 'good roleplay'. Let's be honest, if they couldn't be permagraced for weeks at a time, this situation would have resolved itself last week. However, since the 'rebels' can sidestep the results of their ic decisions, they're prolonging the derp scenario. We don't need admin actions in elections or sweeping administrative rulings in issues. If you provide game mechanics that aren't easily abuseable, the players will resolve things themselves.
  • Being able to talk in death sequence is a pretty significant advantage for PK. Removing that will have ramifications on regrouping and coordination. I'm still new to Impy, so I can't gauge whether something like that would be good or bad, but I can say that at newbish levels death feels like a joke. I run in and bash stuff I shouldn't, treating death like just a super long balance, because there's no penalty at all (aside from Ahkan thinking I'm derpy as derp, but I'm sure I'd find another way to leave that impression were death changed :P).
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Certain people should just get their TELLS privilege removed after a period of abuse.

For last_tells(1,5) do
    If count_swear_words > 20 then
    player.TELLSOFF
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited March 2014
    That's totally legit. How about...your ring tells don't leave Dis. It allows you to start coordinating round 2, but you have no impact in the current fight. 

Any 'tell' for that matter.

@Leikara You're my favorite derpy defiler :D
  • Ahkan said:

That's totally legit. How about...your ring tells don't leave Dis. It allows you to start coordinating round 2, but you have no impact in the current fight. 

It was not so long ago that admins finally got rid of planar restrictions on communication channels, in part so that we wouldn't have exactly the kind of scenario where someone misses something said in a channel that other people were privvy to. It does *not* actually let you start planning round two, because the guy who raksha banded out and the no one saw won't hear anything you say.

Furthermore, I really don't buy the trash talk argument, especially given the history of reasons I've died to some of you in the past -- they talk your ear off in Dis? Fine, they've given you an excuse to kill them again. However, saying stupid things while alive is rarely enough to be muted, I don't see why saying stupid things while dead should be any different.

Regarding being auto kicked out of Dis: quite honestly, I don't trust you all enough not to abuse such a mechanic to turn afk people/people who havent done anything *new* to you into xp piñatas. "Passive" PK rights are not valid, but that sounds exactly like what you are insinuating by saying being kicked out of Dis would have resolved the Antioch rebellion.

Normally when I die, I get up and get a snack/water/web surf for a bit precisely so I *don't* get upset. I should not come back to find out that someone came to do 'testing' on me or that one of the aggro ghosts in Caanae wasted 1000 sips of health. Being stuck in one room and unable to play the game is enough incentive to leave Dis on your own, and honestly, if you remove that, people who spend an inordinate amount of time in Dis will likely respond by not logging in and just using a chatroom elsewhere to play Imperian: the instant messenger.
  • RaykelRaykel Romania
    I honestly haven't had issues with trash-talk in Dis, ever. I understand that there may be some disruptive players now and then, but they usually don't stick around for long. (Ex: Aymee). Also, changing the way Dis works just because of a small group of people (Vanmoriel, Kryss) seems extreme as well, especially if we're expecting Dis changes soon. (Hopefuly). But that's just my personal opinion in regard to the reasons mentioned.
  • Kalon said:

It was not so long ago that admins finally got rid of planar restrictions on communication channels, in part so that we wouldn't have exactly the kind of scenario where someone misses something said in a channel that other people were privvy to. It does *not* actually let you start planning round two, because the guy who raksha banded out and the no one saw won't hear anything you say. Furthermore, I really don't buy the trash talk argument, especially given the history of reasons I've died to some of you in the past -- they talk your ear off in Dis? Fine, they've given you an excuse to kill them again. However, saying stupid things while alive is rarely enough to be muted, I don't see why saying stupid things while dead should be any different. Regarding being auto kicked out of Dis: quite honestly, I don't trust you all enough not to abuse such a mechanic to turn afk people/people who havent done anything *new* to you into xp piñatas. "Passive" PK rights are not valid, but that sounds exactly like what you are insinuating by saying being kicked out of Dis would have resolved the Antioch rebellion. Normally when I die, I get up and get a snack/water/web surf for a bit precisely so I *don't* get upset. I should not come back to find out that someone came to do 'testing' on me or that one of the aggro ghosts in Caanae wasted 1000 sips of health. Being stuck in one room and unable to play the game is enough incentive to leave Dis on your own, and honestly, if you remove that, people who spend an inordinate amount of time in Dis will likely respond by not logging in and just using a chatroom elsewhere to play Imperian: the instant messenger.

I don't think you understand what is actually going on here. Ahkan's points are about maturity more than retribution. A pretty significant portion of the game's population lacks the maturity to take it like a champ when they die. What ends up happening is a steady stream of trash talk that generates more PK, which people will gladly take advantage of. This generates more drama, more immaturity, and more foul language. Eventually, to be spiteful, somebody will issue the other for 'foul language' or 'excessive PK'. Then we have to wait, passive-aggressively, for four weeks until Jeremy or somebody else gets around to the issues. It is a tremendous waste of time, when we could just self-govern by taking away the power to cause that trouble.

In regards to being ousted from Dis: we removed permanent grace and peace rooms for a good reason. They are abusable. They create sanctuaries or states in the game where you can perform plenty of actions and completely ignore all consequences. The Antiochian Rebellion is only the greatest and latest example. It is not the reason why we are suggesting this. Other good examples: organizational theft, personal theft, other incendiary political moves, starting wars and then not participating in them, et cetera. The death room is being used specifically because it is an inaccessible, peaced room where they can still perform most of their day-to-day operations doing whatever it is they do (probably proving the first point by talking trash, drafting vitriolic public posts, and making absurd demands in tells) - meanwhile, the offended parties have no possible avenue of retribution whatsoever. @Ahkan is right - if the rebels couldn't hide in a peace room for weeks on end, this would have been over last week after the 100th Vanmoriel death interrupting her attempts to proselytize to the guild about how evil I am. On passive PK rights: it is legal, entirely, to camp them and murder them until they surrender the Crusaders. Evidence: Jeremy dismissing every issue lodged against us by the rebels.

I know you personally cannot grasp the concept of retribution, because Magick is an incredibly passive-aggressive circle that never does any spring cleaning, but man.. in the real Imperian, traitors, spies, thieves, and rebels happen to be the people most inclined to abuse anything and everything they can to get away with the behavior they feel entitled to acting upon. Why do you want to encourage these people to make selfish, damaging decisions, and why do you defend their ability to AFK in a room that is totally inaccessible? 
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Inline envenoming of arrows. Is that a thing already?
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    if only
  • God, no.

This would just be more stupid spam I wouldn't bother to read inside of a giant block of spam that I already don't read. There's a reason why I highlight almost every name I deal with with any frequency at all, and that is to make it easier to visually parse that giant brick of grey text you get when there's more than 3 people in a room.

The absolute last thing we need is a change that just makes more spam that people don't care about.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Khizan said:

God, no.

This would just be more stupid spam I wouldn't bother to read inside of a giant block of spam that I already don't read. There's a reason why I highlight almost every name I deal with with any frequency at all, and that is to make it easier to visually parse that giant brick of grey text you get when there's more than 3 people in a room.

The absolute last thing we need is a change that just makes more spam that people don't care about.

If it came with a config option for the viewer?
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited March 2014
    Khizan said:

God, no.

I don't read the names anymore, I just read my gmcp name reader at the bottom. You should get one. I only look at the room description at leisure. Plus administration opened the box when they started selling artifacts with more room spam - see cloak/crown. That's why I said selectively.

@Ahkan, I also said 'main' articles of clothing - only things like dresses, suits, shirts, blouses and only one article at a time. 

I just think it's a shame what people design don't get much display time. But w/e. I get it.
  • The problem with 'selective' is that it means that someone on the admin side has to do more work. No one wants to do work, let alone more work. Then you get into the mortal approval process which is pretty if at first you don't succeed, make no edits and try again.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I know, but if there was a small credit drain, it may be worth the time, but sure. :)
  • I'd like to see spirits - the grain, neutral, and grape spirits used for libations - produced in some fashion by the commodity system, or player-manufactured. I believe when the craft system was changed over to paperless the intent was that the need to purchase these items from an NPC shop was only temporary.

It would also be nice if the dwarven toolbox could be used in place of a potstill, but I'm guessing that might be a mechanical difficulty.
  • Lalitana said:
    I'd like to see spirits - the grain, neutral, and grape spirits used for libations - produced in some fashion by the commodity system, or player-manufactured. I believe when the craft system was changed over to paperless the intent was that the need to purchase these items from an NPC shop was only temporary.

It would also be nice if the dwarven toolbox could be used in place of a potstill, but I'm guessing that might be a mechanical difficulty.
    A deliberate decision was made to keep spirits as npc-shop sold items. This decision may be revisited, but it isn't likely to change in the near future.

Making dwarven toolboxes work as potstills is on my list of things to do, but that list is growing. I'll see how easy a change it is. If it's simple, I'll try to make it today. Otherwise, know that it is on the list.