Skip to content

Post Classlead Discussion (Dec 2013)

Comments

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited December 2013
    That's a luxury Kryss is afforded because she's skill hopped to that point. Outrider can pressure afflictions and damage without any real effort.

The argument would carry a lot of weight if every class was built that way, but it fails and it fails hard when you take that mentality into demonic where many skill sets are affliction OR damage with very little in between. Having been with her in some 1v1, 2v2, and typical skirmishes, she could not solve this problem either. I'm looking at a log where Kryss can't decide to do damage or afflict to burst through chain hands Kliko or hit Septus.She then eats a 280 damage flare from General Septus.
    You are:
    afflicted by a crippled right arm.
    afflicted by a crippled left leg.
    afflicted by a crippled right leg.
    sitting.
    has numb muscles.
    blind.
    deaf.
    You fling your arms skyward and let out a glorious laugh as you are filled with a stamina that wells up from deep within you.

You are:
    afflicted by a crippled right arm.
    sitting.
    paralysed.
    blind.
    deaf.
    You fling your arms skyward and let out a glorious laugh as you are filled with a stamina that wells up from deep within you.

You are:
    extremely oily.
    plagued with a weakened immune system.
    anorexic.
    afflicted by horrible asthma.
    unable to regain balance quickly.
    afflicted with poor salve absorption.
    allergic to sunlight.
    afflicted with slow herb digestion.
    sensitive to pain.
    unable to digest herbs properly.
    has a paralysed left arm and left leg.
    sitting.
    paralysed.
    blind.

soulstorm
    You must first raise yourself and stand up.

soulstorm
    You are paralysed.

And...I believe that should be that.

Also, going to pre-game the arguments that are the obvious replies.
    -Pushing vivisect is a solid plan, one parry screws up the whole shebang. It's really risky if you're the only one targeting limbs. Your entire circle targets limbs. Two of our professions do. 
    -Disembowel is pretty unreliable, especially considering someone is beating on me.
    -Writhes/CC are a waste of time, because they're not doing damage and won't lead to any end-game, especially when I'm sacrificing my damage.
    -Instakills are iffy as well, because many of them are channeled. Noctu can throw fool, but garrynbot and passive healing are ticking on devotioners. Same problem with Noctu, madness requries a different build and strategy from move 1. (see affliction or damage, not both).
  • You're also pigeon holing damage builds into "Whelp, they're turtling and I can't stop them. I should quit." This is bad.
  • edited December 2013

Limb breaking is basically an AM thing.

AM is completely goddamned drenched in limb damage. Wardens, Predators,monks, you break limbs like it ain't no thing. Magick has basically nothing for it, and Demonic has defilers. DSL doesn't break limbs fast enough.

And also, you're AM, and more specifically an Outrider. You have the luxury of being able to choose to press damage or afflictions on the same classes. A WD can switch from sdrops to flicks instantly. Outrider can switch too. A Sabre Templar can start dropping flarebombs on people. And  they all do this while being stupidly hellaciously tanky.

Malignist and such? They don't really get a damage option. Wytchen can put out a crapload of damage, but they tank like garbage and they have a buildup time, it's not as easy as going "Well I'll hit this other button and instantly drop a zero-setup 200 damage flarebomb/Strike-Strike-SD right out of my affliction offense and then dive right back into it." Damage Summoner? My affliction speed is garbage. My "alternate kill strategy" is to blow your health down to the 40% area and then blow 100% taint on a bunch of instants hoping to get an instant enlighten when smoking cures not-madness. Which, hey, still involves blowing you up to the point where you'd start spam shielding/handsing out of the danger zone.

Also, the difference between "effectively using toxins to hinder" and "usng a couple of toxins on a macro" is night and day and you damn well know it. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Outriders push 4 things in a single offense. Damage, Bleeding (damage and instakill), afflictions (damage i.e. nausea, addiction, also pushes lock, i.e. no purge impatience), and limb set ups into shatter ( limbs not necessary if you can stick recurring freezing, easy.)
  • It also occurred to me today, the whole "you can just switch targets" is a terrible idea. I found it pretty funny that Sarrius and Kryss would forget the woes and complexities of 1v1. Turtling is a death knell to some professions in 1v1. There are some classes that can't put a target away who:
    -spams hands
    -spams shield
    (lolwhich is ttly why the 'pros' do it in 1v1)

When you're locked in some crap e-bushido duel, you can't switch target. Some professions are backed into "back to square one" if someone turtles long enough, which is why you see limb damage classes at the head of the e-bushido pack these days. Super active, no cost, turtle defense is dumb in teams and worse in 1v1.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Ahkan said:
     Super active, no cost, turtle defense is dumb in teams and worse in 1v1.
    Turtling is repetitive. Single-shot, long cool-down 'rescue' skills would make more sense, ie. active Vitality or something active that bursts out of 3-4 afflictions once every 30 seconds. You'd then time your burst rescue rather than it being an attrition battle.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • edited December 2013

A big part of this boils down to the fact that people like Kryss and Elrith seem to think that damage shouldn't ever be a viable kill method. That's why it's totally okay just to spam heal through damage, because if you actually want to be able to kill somebody you should be using afflictions, because otherwise you're not elite enough to deserve a win. 

This attitude is incredibly harmful to the game. This small minority of Affliction Superiority players is the reason why the game is full of classes that almost nobody can use properly, which is terrible design.

At any given time, AM is likely to be the most powerful circle in the game, and it's largely because AM has escaped this "Half of your classes are pure affliction classes!" design meta and so more of their players can use their classes well. 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• It is funny how 1v1 isn't relevant to some people until it can be brought up as a reason why others are wrong. My defense of Hands and etc has nothing to do with superiority and everything to do with my hatred of spamfests that large scale team fights become. I should be allowed options to survive for longer than a few moments when a team running gravehands, engage, soulchains, etc turns their eyes on me.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Large scale, 1v1 is not relevant. I was only citing 1v1 as an oversight of yours in defense of your go to tactic. I found the twist of fate incredibly amusing and felt I should mention it to highlight more flaws in Kryss' response.

Nothing in the game should make you immune to the focus fire of 8 people. This is where the concept of 'team fight' should come into play. Your team should be good/cohesive enough to survive and keep someone alive for x amount of time. You are arguing that imbalanced skills should allow you to do so. We're arguing that some semblance of skill on the victim and the victim's team should come into play.Things like CC on burst. Defend. Someone -else- healing you. Aka: sacrificing their offense to heal you.

I really don't have a problem with you using hands once. Where I start to think things are stupid when every eq on the eq you're using hands. This is possible because hands/vigour negligible devotion/essence costs, which means you can keep them running indefinitely. This problem is exacerbated on clerics and templars because they're already benefiting from one, if not two, forms of passive regeneration from devotion and kanai.

On one hand, you and Garryn want 'skillful timing of skills.' The end result of your 'skillful play' is hit the same button a lot really fast.'
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Shardheal, vitality, kai heal, hands, bladesurge etc have prevented me from winning duels I should've been able to win. It's like you've all said; I've had to start from square one once they turtle or simple sit there and spam heal, since everything for Bard is based on a big juggle between dmg/afflict. Ive put in the work of slamming enough damage to place cruel lament, switch to afflicting, stack at least 5+ afflictions, switch back to damage, and hit my resonance ceiling as I burst them down to the double digits. They laugh and simply heal up super quick with the plethora of AM heals each of their chases seem to have and shake off all that hard work while I'm stuck going ffffffffffuuuuuuuu, sing disharmony target * 5.

I know many of you have almost no idea how post beta bard is supposed to work, but I definitely know it's stuck in the realm of the weird aff/dmg with no end kill skill many magick classes have fallen in
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Yeah I had a look at the skill descrips in the beta and was thought... uh... left(dmg)/right(aff)/left(dmg)? What? No thanks. :D
  • I wrote up a post on the beta on how to fix the flow of Bards by simply changing Cruel Lament to Duration determined by Afflictions and Damage boosted by Health Missing but Garryn thought it would be simpler to see how this current incarnation works first (doesn't work).
  • FWIW from a low-tier combatant:

While damage is a lot more effective in teams and what not... it's not nearly as much fun (personal opinion disclaimer) as affs. Maybe it's that I haven't played a damage class that needs some setup to pull off its damage (looking at you, Defiler, which I'm now very curious about). But for Outrider, (which is sort of a good example for its ability to pressure multiple things) having to intelligently build affs up is a lot more fun than just spamming longslash/lacerate and then bloodfreeze when bleeding > x. Also... while I wasn't very good at it, until recently, my aliases consisted of a few if/then scenarios based on shield, rebounding, and hypothermia and stab with a toxin... I manualed deciding what toxin to stab with... and I DID actually get kills out of the gig (largely people at my tier + Brishi [wherever he rates at in your guys' opinion]). (Also, here's some shameless promotion and a thank you to @Iluv for building something a lot more complicated and manageable and something I don't get paralysed thinking about mid-fight). 

But, here's my point, that decision making is a lot more fun than facerolling my f1 macro for PK effectiveness... which basically renders PK about as much fun as bashing. And even with effective toxin queues and what not which may be able to come close to the same thing in an individual fight, the ability to modify it and change your play style is what makes PK fun (to me) and not just reduced to bashing a tough mob. And while I'm all about people being involved (honestly... without autocuring and what not, I would not be able to remotely be in combat at all), having an easy learning curve (as opposed to no learning curve at all) is what makes PK fun long-term because it allows the ability to modify and improve instead of everyone just doing a 1-2-3 kill. (Hi, Monk)

Advice I REALLY appreciated when I first started playing was the input to go Outrider instead of Ranger because of the depth of the class in comparison. Having a bit of complexity keeps things from getting boring.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited December 2013
    Tbh, what's really fun is beating the other guy. (Doesn't really matter how)

E: Fun comes from surprise, intelligent use of cognitive skills, reflexes. Therefore, straight bashing isn't fun. Conditionals are fun. Spam-away isn't fun. The most fun I've ever had in 1v1s is parrying warden damage 4-5 times in a row. That's me in your face saying 's*ck it, I just out-thought you'

E2: http://yudkowsky.net/singularity/fun-theory/ fun: "The basic domain is that of solving a complex novel problem, where the problem is decomposable into subproblems and sub-subproblems; in other words, a problem possessing complex, multileveled organization."
  • I agree with your Edit... but there's only so much intelligence that goes into some classes because their conditionals are only a matter of time or matter only in as much as their defense as their offense is built around 1-2-3.
  • The problem with your comments, Ambrose, is it precludes someone else enjoying a straight damage build. There are a lot of people (98% of your circle) that absolutely love,love,love straight damage builds. You can't really shut out players because they like face rolling damage. To make it more complicated, some classes can't kill with straight afflictions and can't kill with straight damage. So if we balance things like you kids want to, those classes just hold up their hands, "Whai happening?" Every class in Imperian is not designed as well as outrider and pushing 4-5 end games on every balance.

Also you cannot forget. Unfrotunately, there's an underlying mechanic in IRE that presents this dilemma. Hey, I can't survive Eldreth. How do I survive Eldreth?

109          a Girdle of the Titans                  1000 Credits
     85           a ring of Magick's Bane                 750 Credits
    89           a pair of Bracelets of Epiphany's G...  1400 Credits
    Overall Level: 100 (8.44%)

People gotta eat.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited January 2014
    Classlead ideas:

General:
    Dash:
    Cannot dash past trenches

Vigour, Sapience, Hands:
    -Cannot be done while prone, paralysed, broken arms, paralyzed arms, webbed, transfixed, bound, hangedman
    -Cost is increased by 100%

Numbness:
    -Reduces guard damage by 50%

Block: The following professions lose block
    Wardancer, Monk

Pets: The following pets become immortal, more of a 'defense' than a pet
    -Ouroboros, Icewyrm, Basilisk, Treant, Roots, Bard sketches
    -Every class based pet  that is not the core of a skillset (cobra, falcon) gains access to courage/stamina

Skill specific:
    Beast Mastery: Bear wall
    Is currently only countered by bloodworms. 
    -Earthquake will spread to all rooms adjacent to it (will not hit players, only bears in adjacent rooms)
    -New bomb type, concussion grenade, blunt damage on explosion, startles bear making it leave the room
    -Shard terrify always scares the bear

Bowmanship: Incendiary
    -Pull arrow from <victim> (allows a teammate to pull an incendiary arrow) Longer balance

Chivalry Brutality (Defend)
    -Damage reduction on offense 25% on physical, 50% on non-physical (lack of concentration) <-- prevents metagaming defend with nukebot + free resists
    Chivalry/Brutality (new)
    -Prismatic barrier piercing. 3s channeled skill. Can cure while this is happening, stopped by numbness, metrazol, standard inhibition

Chivalry/Brutality (new)
    -Add clinging from wyrmriding to chivalry and brutality

Desecration: Branch
    -Restoration affliction is cured on switching class
    -Is no longer considered a 'hostile' action (Def up while dead)

Desecration: Germinate: Elder
    Cooldown on elder germinate so you can't double up.

Desecration: Germinate Apple (reworked)
    Does not strip shield. On next shield attempt, apple splinter detonates, doubling the next  the splinter value of the next 'entropy' effect received. (damage remains the same)

Devotion: Consecrate
    Consecrate has a chance to fail against hazewards in demonic areas.
    First consecrate will destroy a hazeward, second will make holy ground

Devotion: Seance
    One room only, the room the devotion user is in.

Devotion: Revitalization/Healing:
    No longer hit entire allies list. User only. May even restrict to having one or the other.

Devotion:Bracing:
    Becomes class specific.

Devotion: Templar:
    Loses all spirit shields. Still too tanky

Evileye: (new afflictions)
    -Haemophilia

Hypnosis:
    Cap # of hypnosis afflictions stored. (favor intelligent whispering)

Hypnosis: Whisper
    Certain afflictions can be smart casted with dstab (i.e. not hypochondria)

Knifeplay: Cover: 
    Single target only. Damage is split 60 (predator)/40 . (leather armor, come on) Does not pick up resistances like defend.

Necromancy: Deathaura
    -Becomes target specific, no more aoe
    -Additional changes (better afflictions, message for necromancer (maybe victim)

Necromancy: Soulspear
    -will not impale if already impaled
    -decay time increased
    -40% damage reduction. 20% of original damage applied as bleeding damage

Noctu: Flash
    Interaction been flash and duplicate probably needs looking at

Shamanism: Burn
    Right now, cadmus (curse/dustthrow) bounces off of a shield and you cannot bypass shield without hammering, thus losing your affliction pressure. The 'burn' affliction in shamanism, will now remove shields.

Raksha band:
    Twist ring becomes a channeled action that takes 4s and is stopped by paralysis, sleeping, prone, inhibition of any sort, as well as forced movement. You may heal during this channel.

Runelore: Nairat 
    (sketched on ground): reverts back to the way it used to be, one rune can hit one target once per room.
    prevents slash-dsl/nairat, sketch slash-dsl/nairat

Runelore: Totems
    Only losing balance, equilibrium, or being inhibited in any way via attack will remove 'stand totem'

Runelore: Vortex:
    With prevalence of walls, shield wall, bear wall, vortex reverts back to bypassing block. Must choose between mobility and team cohesion.

Sabotage: Traps
    Time to lay down traps increased. Preparation skill, not on the fly all exit blocking. Forced to use blizzard, block more intelligently

Tarot:
    Levitating cards decay quicker if noctusari is not in the room

Traps:
    Do not fire in flooded rooms

Shadowbinding: Hazeward
    Anyone with a demonic profession may 'affix' a hazeward.

Survival:
    Fitness is added to survival. (Will be slower than profession based fitness)

Toxins: Ciguatoxin
    -The numbness affliction will now stop bulwark, prismatic barriers (all sorts), 
    -Will no longer cause paralysis when not cured

Weaponry: decapitation
    With the new death system, decapitation is sped up by 50%

Left overs from last time. New ones I've jotted down since the beta.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Ahkan said:
    Classlead ideas:

Bowmanship: Incendiary
    -Pull arrow from <victim> (allows a teammate to pull an incendiary arrow) Longer balance

* I'd prefer that the ally actually uses 'Restore' to heal the person's limb(s) rather than instantly nullify an instant-kill that does take some preparation. In this manner, team restore would be 1) more strategic, 2) affect more than just one style of limb instant-kill, 3) Azefel can completely ignore me while I struggle on the ground trying to remove that incendiary, 4) or that BBT

Devotion: Seance
    One room only, the room the devotion user is in.

* +1. or +5

Necromancy: Deathaura
    -Becomes target specific, no more aoe
    -Additional changes (better afflictions, message for necromancer (maybe victim)

* +1

Runelore: Nairat 
    (sketched on ground): reverts back to the way it used to be, one rune can hit one target once per room.
    prevents slash-dsl/nairat, sketch slash-dsl/nairat

* I can understand this, but I don't like it. I'd hate to be told my runes can only be used every time the person re-enters. How often does that happen? Not often. The disgust with it is the spamming of transfix I gather. Perhaps make the internal cooldown apply also to ground runes.

Runelore: Vortex:
    With prevalence of walls, shield wall, bear wall, vortex reverts back to bypassing block. Must choose between mobility and team cohesion.

* Does it really need this?

Shadowbinding: Hazeward
    Anyone with a demonic profession may 'affix' a haze ward.

* Yes please

Survival:
    Fitness is added to survival. (Will be slower than profession based fitness)

* So unsure about this. Affliction classes will have an even harder time in the damage meta-game. :(

Toxins: Ciguatoxin
    -The numbness affliction will now stop bulwark, prismatic barriers (all sorts), 
    -Will no longer cause paralysis when not cured

* What will cause paralysis or remove paralysis altogether? If not, it'll need to have reinstated internal cooldown.
    Just some thoughts
  • Incendiary: The reason why is because the only time you'd see this is in teams. The people who use this in teams there is very little setup, it's really just a cheese factory. 'pull incendiary from iniar' is really akin to me doing dsl septus numbness metrazol to stop him from cleaving you. It still requires smart play and awareness to counter in teams and loses none of its 1v1 potency.

Nairat: Honestly, the alternative is just no fun to have to fight. Every 3rd attack is a transfix. I guess the alternative here is 'can't sketch nairat off balance' or 1 nairat hit per room, per person.

Vortex: Yeah. Vortex is a counter to large, unorganized teams. It only moves one person, one room every tick. Since we have on-demand access to the best wall in the game, the vortexer is already fighting an uphill battle to use it well. If you want immunity to vortex as a team, you should have to sacrifice your zerg's mobility.

Fitness prevents hard toxin locks. For a long time we've argued against and balanced around hard toxin locks not being a thing. 

I'd remove the 'paralysis' affliction all together.
  • edited January 2014
    Put fitness in survival. Make all fitness slower.

Traps should not have longer balances and especially if it's specific to one skillset and not others (Sabotage and not Hunting).

Outrider balance steal pet needs to be changed/removed. Lethargy from Blacken needs to be replaced.

Soulquench.

Solution 1 - Soulquench should become person dependent, not weapon dependent allowing for better transition from sabres to claymore.

Solution 2 - Soulquench is always on.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited January 2014
    That's why I left traps as "Traps" and not just sabotage. The idea is to make traps less of refresh 'block' with a writhe component.

Soulquench being always on gets really weird because it allows you to max dps while maximizing your affliction output, adding more +++ to sabres. It's why templar emblazon was dumb and got nerfed (which you supported). 

Weapon on-hit effects have always been 'bad' because sabres exist. I'm slowly inching towards the idea of "you just can't use weapon effects on sabres" as an incentive to get people to use other types of weaponry in knight, since we're too :effort: to fix weaponry/smithing.
  • Radical idea #1

Ages ago I decided that to-hit on weapons should become a 'proc' stat, with weapons entirely rebalanced around this idea. Longswords and scimitars could be your 'fast' and 'slow' to-hit weapons, and players could choose to prioritize to-hit over the other weapon stats when they wanted to balance their offense around soulquench or emblazing over raw afflictions or raw damage.

Ideally, every knight would then get several different weapon effects that could be used to give an advantage over choosing to-hit against damage or speed. They'd need to be compelling enough to use, but not so over the top that no one would ever use axes or sabres again.
  • So, you're suggesting that soulquench would have a base effect that would be modified by current weapon wielded?
  • edited January 2014
    Iluv said:

Solution 1 - Soulquench should become person dependent, not weapon dependent allowing for better transition from sabres to claymore.

Solution 2 - Soulquench is always on.
    hahaha, just kill me now. I think solution one is fine, though kind of unnecessary.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • It already is, soulquench's proc rate scales from 15-60% (25-75% with wight) depending on weapon speed. But I would untie proc rate from weapon speed entirely, and make it function off the to-hit stat.

Everything would need rebalanced if this happened, and several new weapon effects would need to be added to make it compelling, but I see no reason why someone wouldn't want a soulquenching longsword over a claymore against an opponent with high mitigation like a Templar.
  • The thing about fitness is that so many classes have it already. It's not a one-off thing that you need to account for against one certain class(Relax, etc), it's a thing that a ton of  classes already have. Half the Magick classes. Half the AM classes.

It's got a huge presence that already needs to be accounted for in so many fights, there's no reason NOT to make it universal.

• IniarIniar Australia
    edited January 2014
    Ahkan said:
    Weapon on-hit effects have always been 'bad' because sabres exist. I'm slowly inching towards the idea of "you just can't use weapon effects on sabres" as an incentive to get people to use other types of weaponry in knight, since we're too :effort: to fix weaponry/smithing.
    It's on the list. :p
  • The only solution is to nuke sabres from orbit.

The ~2 second sabre DSL is so far beyond that the other weapons that it is mindboggling. The amount of value you would have to add to other weapons to balance out against that will will be ludicrous, especially when you take a knight's ability to hot-switch weapons into consideration.

I'm of the opinion that it will be impossible to balance knights, even in a revamp, around such disparate options as "~2 second sabre" and "4.2s claymore" without effectively turning the knight into a different class when it wields a different weapon.

• IniarIniar Australia
    I blame knights for the current crop of #Icandoeverything,andinonebalance,seemy30lines classes.
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    excuse me, Defilers have the 30-line thing, thanks.