Skip to content

Post Classlead Discussion (Dec 2013)

Comments

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    This is purely for Bard, but I would like to see every offensive song have the effect of disharmony. The draw back would be it also requires that the target have 6+ resonance on them to place the song. In the long run it wouldn't change much, but it would make combat flow smoother and have songs feel like they're part of combat the combat stream rather than stick passive and chug along. It would make Geis even more valuable during team combat as well.

It's honestly not needed but I figured passing the idea along didn't hurt. I'm indifferent either way.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited January 2014
    To be honest, I don't see how this changes the 'flow' of combat at all. Resonance is reduced by 4 every 5 seconds, this timer is reset each time the target is hit by an enhanced power word. Why not just "use your offense."

What I see happening is omg spam words to resonance. Cruellament -6, omg spam all the words again. Cruellament -6, omg spam all the words again. That's not 'flow' that's elite spammage. (cycling damage, for a more specific example)
    edited January 2014
    This is also why I cycle through not using a primordial word in yoth upkeep so it helps reduce resonance. A single combo using two words with two prim-notes is 6 resonance. A song takes about 4 seconds to apply, cruel lament itself 2.75 with diadem, but what I was suggesting wouldn't apply to CL, just the four offensive songs: bedazzlement, revelation, dissonance, and lullaby.

Basically, what you're suggesting isn't functional in bard combat and would not lead to a kill, just a possible damage burst of 100+ every 6.5 seconds.

Songs don't need changed then. It was merely a suggested idea.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited January 2014
    Unpopular opinion:

I want to remove  knights ability to stack movement inhibition and engage. 
    Runeguard would lose laguz
    Deathknight would lose gravehands
    Templar would lose piety

I guess an alternative here is increasing engages balance time to be modified by the weapon type used so it's always 25% longer than dsl balance, forcing you to choose dsl/engage or single engage.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited January 2014
    And a double post.

Can we look at the overlap between evasion and armor? It's pretty ridiculous how tanky templar/runeguard/deathknight can be when you're rocking 60% flat resist to cut/blunt and 56-70% cutting/blunt armor.
  • Hi all, I'm thinking about playing again now that I have various things sorted out. I do have a few questions I want to ask...

1. Somewhat thread relevant, how do you kill people post G-bot? In the Whytebot era, it was about exploiting flaws in Whytebot. Is it the same with G-bot?

2. The playerbase appears to have shrunk which is likely my fault, I never should have left you :( I think I am going to make a new character to reflect a diminished role in the game, I don't want to be bogged down by old history. What would you suggest a newish character do?

3. Where's the owned thread?

Drill baby drill because luck is a skill.
    edited February 2014
    1. Todays classes have a lot of cure hinders as well as ways to stack faster than gbot can heal. It's a matter of knowing what to surreal and when to stack it.
    2.Imperian's turnover rate is normal, imo.
    3.It is possibly the Quote thread.
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    G-bot (or rather, most people who [don't] use it [properly]) has many flaws.
  • Iriaen said:

Hi all, I'm thinking about playing again now that I have various things sorted out. I do have a few questions I want to ask...

1. Somewhat thread relevant, how do you kill people post G-bot? In the Whytebot era, it was about exploiting flaws in Whytebot. Is it the same with G-bot?

2. The playerbase appears to have shrunk which is likely my fault, I never should have left you :( I think I am going to make a new character to reflect a diminished role in the game, I don't want to be bogged down by old history. What would you suggest a newish character do?

3. Where's the owned thread?

I'm going to take a stab at number two. While it does seem at times there are less people than I remember from 'the good old days' we've also ended up with a larger influx of newbies lately, which has been fun.

For a newish character that depends on what you want. If you want RP in the, in your face, people will go along with whatever you're concocting sense, both Khandava and the Bards have solid groups for that. (Not sure who on the AM side.) If you want to be on the current PvP upside, that would be demonic. If you want to bash to Aspect (Not as hard as it used to be) Summoner, Predator and Druid are arguably the best bashing classes.

Feel free to hit me up with messages here or IC if you have particular questions.
  • Iriaen said: 

Bad people exploited holes in Whytebot because it was easier than actually learning to use their class. It was never necessary to kill people.
  • Juran said:
    Iriaen said: 

Bad people exploited holes in Whytebot because it was easier than actually learning to use their class. It was never necessary to kill people.
    Well, I'm mostly talking about averages.  I remember that exploiting Whytebot wasn't enough to kill the better players, but when fighting someone less dedicated to the game, Whytebot exploits were the first thing to try.  In the interest of expediency if nothing else :)
  • Iriaen said:
    Juran said:
    Iriaen said: 

Well, I'm mostly talking about averages.  I remember that exploiting Whytebot wasn't enough to kill the better players, but when fighting someone less dedicated to the game, Whytebot exploits were the first thing to try.  In the interest of expediency if nothing else :)
    Sure, I was mostly referencing people like Kabaal that would do nothing but anti-Whyte illusions in the hope that possibly your IMTS would break and they'd be able to kill you.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Will we have a pre-class lead discussion? Things I want to try and change:

Wise statpack (poor Wise)
    Treant entangle
    Malignosis Soulpact (why do I need a trans skill to keep most of my skillset one-shotted by a novice warden :s)
    Shamanism Hecate, again (</3)
    Parry
    Necromancy Belch and Feed

Will leave summoner to the pros

wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
    Yeah, wise is so gimpy :(

Mine would be:

-Sketch ink afflictions
    -Have ta'd briah bypass mass
    -JPK in monk uncomboable
    -higher resonance ceiling
          or
    -make varaye comboable
  • IniarIniar Australia
    @Mathiaus, how does Briah work? All the AB file says is this:

SYNTAX: SING/CHANT BRIAH <target>

The voice of the screaming banshee is with you, you can use your voice to drive your target.
    It forces them out of the room if they're undeaf and unmassed.
  • VivianneVivianne Atlanta, GA
    Iniar said:

Treant entangle
    Malignosis Soulpact (why do I need a trans skill to keep most of my skillset one-shotted by a novice warden :s)
    Parry

You leave my belch alone, Mister! 
  • Vivianne said:
    Iniar said:

Treant entangle
    Parry

You leave my belch alone, Mister! 
    Why? Belch has been bad since the beginning. Just forces me to spam pellet and/or hope I have food on me. Though, it is a big amusing now that instead of pellet, I spam eating maggots.

• edited February 2014

The hot-fixes for Summoner have made a difference from what I have seen. A lot of non-summoners don't realize a 60% taint threshold actually means a 75% taint threshold (as the first incinerate tick hits before you get balance back from using the skill) but the net result is that by the time you are on your second target and have burned through Pyradius (and probably Dameron), spamming quicken is now going to be spinning wheels from a taint perspective (12-14 seconds to even launch a duplicate).  A future tweak might be to reduce initial incinerate time in exchange for initial incinerate damage reduction (so that 60 actually means 60 from a resource management standpoint), but the fact you now have to say...mash 2-3 macros instead of 1 is progress.

* Please note that being simultaneously hit by three summoners with 18-19 INT and hecate using quicken will still (and always will) hurt and is not a classlead fix. Thank you.

** I do feel bad for the FAST Summoners, as us damage whores have forced a further squeeze on a mental affliction offense that really benefits from impatience and intensify effects.
    “We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited February 2014
    Current incinerate, in fact current summoner, is slightly worse off than pre-Incinerate change. Sure the damage is better, but I'm never going to use that skill anymore. :D My poor quicken. I loved you.

• edited February 2014
    Eldreth said:

** I do feel bad for the FAST Summoners, as us damage whores have forced a further squeeze on a mental affliction offense that really benefits from impatience and intensify effects.

It could have been avoided and still can be. I posted on the forums on how it can be changed and also sent messages directly to Garryn. Anyone can understand why aura based Noctu that is not infused needs a reduction in taint. The damage is higher.

In the case of infuse, the damage is not factor. Infused damade is halved and there are many Noctu abilities which are important to use because of the afflictions they give but give no damage. The afflictions aura spells give are mental, which are harder to utilize in an offense as is. It makes no sense to be punished taint-wise for using them infused. Also, of the two playstyles, fast requires more taint management and has a higher upkeep. Changing the amount of taint generated on infused aura spells will not undo the last Summoner changes nor will it make Summoner a pure affliction prof. It will only increase the professions versitality which is what everyone should want.

edit: typing on phone hard
  • edited February 2014
    Incinerate v 1.0 had a poor wind up threshold -and- poor damage for the cost investment. There was no reason to ever use this skill over duplicate/strengthen/blast. v 1.1 benefited from the trifecta of reduced wind up, increased base damage and reduced frost effectiveness, so the numbers suggested there was never a reason NOT to use this skill. I wouldn't say we found equilibrium, but now at least I need to think about whether to use incinerate (80% + taint and a pyradius/dameron in the queue) or duplicate (looking for a knockout punch).

The quicken change was a bit like playing a shell game, because you now sacrifice spell damage in the name of more taint-damage*, and it's a bit of a wash in that regards. But, once again we have moved from "no reason to NOT use quicken" to a veneer of variety for the damage-oriented summoner.

* All the more reason to roll with Defilers and their sweet fire malus skills now (learn to survive one-combo KB Zorro)
    “We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • IniarIniar Australia
    A 110 magickal duplicate with diadem works out to be about 71 dps costing me 50 taint.
    An Incinerate (from last calculation) brings me to about 80 dps. (at a cast of 3.7) The downside -> Puts me in the hole for 75 taint, pressures me for a needed pyradius/dameron unleash, and worse of all, makes me 95% predictable.
    It's really veneer.
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited February 2014
    The quicken change was well thought out and necessary. 

The incinerate change was huge knee jerk reaction to a relatively small problem.  You'd think we'd learn this lesson, but we don't.There were 3 better ideas than the terrible change to incinerate that actually addressed the real problem and not the forum whinging. Those who suggested those changes have a better grasp of the mechanics and underlying problems than "This is what my excel spreadsheet says*."  They were pretty reasonable when it came to the actual balance of the skill set.
  • I still don't feel caught up, but now that you can't dodge attacks anymore, the to-hit stat on weapons seems to be mostly worthless.  Perhaps we should change it to a different stat or take it out and redo forging based upon the lack of it?
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    After stag and star tattoo! And the corresponding shard research !
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited February 2014
    Iriaen said:
    I still don't feel caught up, but now that you can't dodge attacks anymore, the to-hit stat on weapons seems to be mostly worthless.  Perhaps we should change it to a different stat or take it out and redo forging based upon the lack of it?
    It's on the to-do list or something, but it's a really really sweeping change. It would effect so many classes. Not to mention that the current system is pants on head retarded. The stats alone system just fosters metagaming and with nothing to bridge the gap of the hybrid weapons, they suck. Then you get weird outliers like Faz. New-Kildare is going for a remix of the opening weeks of Imperian. My sword has axe stats, boom. Thanks, terrible smithing RNG!

I don't envy whoever would do that. I know who I wouldn't want to do it. It's really one of those 'be careful what you wish for.'

Spears now do piercing damage (% noblock, +100bleeding, and allows for a momentum hit with a chosen toxin 5s later)
    Sabres do 0 damage, but you can slash 5 times.
    Axes do x2 limb damage with additional bleeding
    Longwords hit people in the other room (they're long)
    Claymores become flurry from Aetolia (new idea!)
  • I just want claymores to shoot golden holy lasers. I don't feel like I'm asking a lot.

‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Don't lie, @Bathan, you also want to wear an armoured skirt that clinks when you move.