Engineer isn't what I expected it to be. It feels like it could be a fun class, but right now it feels awkward and underpowered. Perhaps the problem is just one of balance, and changing some numbers would help, but I'm not sure. Ballistics feels pretty solid as an offensive skillset, aside from the aforementioned lack of clout, but focus and inventing both miss the mark somehow.
In the case of focus, nearly every skill in it depends on having focus to use, but focus generation still feels too slow and it means you get a few fancy focus shots per fight, if that. This is especially awkward because the class is so untanky compared to others that you end up dead before you even get enough focus to do much. Admittedly, I haven't tested recently.
Inventing is the big 'miss' for me, though: Whilst it has some fun ideas and neat things, a third of the skill is taken up by chems and parts of it feel lackluster. Personally, I was expecting more from this skill in particular: More utility, some defensive stuff, and interesting gadgets to use during fights. The biggest surprise is the complete lack of explosives or any evolution of ideas from AB ENGINEERING, followed by the lack of pets and bigger inventions. Yes, inventing allows for a custom clockwork familiar, but it doesn't interact with the class in any special way and behaves like an ordinary familiar.
- Focus: Make it gain much quicker, and rebalance the focus shots to account for this.
- Focus: Or instead of the above, flip focus entirely and make it a resource you start the fight with and use up as the fight goes on.
- Ballistics: This skill feels like it tickles, even with artifacts. Fixing focus might help this, but it could probably do with rebalancing itself.
- Inventing: Cut down on the number of chems. Some of them are too niche, some of them would only help allies marginally and the Engineer not at all.
- Inventing: Add more utility/PVE stuff to inventing in place of the removed chems.
- Inventing: Change the familiar so it's more Engineer specific and have it interact with the professions other skills more. Have the skill to make the familiar/pet at the midpoint of AB INVENTING, with a few skills that utilise it higher up.
I've started this thread because I'm curious how other people feel about the profession and the above suggestions. I did submit a few classleads to add to inventing and the gyrocopter in particular, but those were rejected.