Skip to content

Is Whyte's Mapper completely obsolete now?

I got an email about the new retirement feature, and between that and the built in auto-curer, I'm actually tempted to give Imperian another try after something like a decade. One of the things I most enjoyed doing, though, was mapping new areas in Whyte's Mapper - I maintained the most up-to-date map file around for quite some time. From what I can gather, though, there's now built in server-side mapping that does everything Whyte's mapper did and is kept up-to-date by the devs. Is that the case?

Comments

• That's the case, but there's still use for a client side mapping solution for reliably locating folks and special exits/etc, but the PATH TRACK/FIND feature is way faster than what my client side bit can do.

I remember being very thankful back in the day that you kept that mapper updated. I consider the serve side solution a benefit to having a client side map.

• I still use mudbot because it keeps me connected in the (very likely) event that CMud crashes. For users playing with modern clients, it's likely completely outdated.

• Wysrias said:
    I still use mudbot because it keeps me connected in the (very likely) event that CMud crashes. For users playing with modern clients, it's likely completely outdated.
    CMUD Lives!

• MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    We are legion, a slower compiling but much prettier and unsupported legion.
  • There is a way for it to bring up imperian vnums so you can use it to search for rooms mapped in it and get imperian vnums for path finding. Though I forget how to do it and I had to recover my laptop so it's not set up that way anymore.

If someone knows how I'd love to know.
  • http://forums.imperian.com/discussion/315/mudbot-imap has a good method of what Ivellios is remembering. It makes a new Imap based on the xml file Imperian has on the website, so it's mostly up to date with areas and in-game vnums, though it doesn't create any special exits and may be missing the newest areas.
  • I still use IMTS for absolutely everything.