Skip to content

New Artifact Powers System

In response to your feedback, we have been working on a new system of combinable artifact powers for Imperian. These artifact powers work like artifacts, but can be moved, added, removed, and sold from artifact to artifact.  In addition, you will be able to convert most tailoring and jewelry trade skill items into full artifacts to which you can then add powers.

We are currently looking for a few interested individuals to play around with the new system on our beta server to get as many bugs worked out as possible before fully implementing it in game.  You will not need to already have artifacts or credits to participate.  If you are interested, please message Dec in game. Feel free to also post any comments or questions about the new system here.  

Comments

• Where is the drunk redneck style "Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" button. 
  • Just sent a message!  It sounds really exciting! :)
  • IniarIniar Australia
    If these trade skill items have the same restrictions around their descriptions, I would probably use a Customisation token on an item. Will this work, and do I go:

Normal item -> Artifact powers -> Customization, or
    Normal item -> Customization -> Artifact powers?
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • You have two general choices to get something to which you can add powers.  First, you can take an existing artifact (e.g. a ring) and add other powers to that (customizing it along the way).  Alternatively, you can take a tailoring or jewelry crafted items (some limitations exist on which ones may be converted currently, but most are available) convert that to an artifact, and then add powers to it.  The crafted items have the same restrictions on design because there is no special approval process for tailored goods or jewelry that will become an artifact. Once you have an artifact from either source you may customize and add powers freely in any order.  Of course tailored items have more options, e.g. you can have artifact socks if you start with a tailored item, but if you start with a regular artifact you're stuck with the types available.  

Feel free to sign up for the beta to see exactly how it works.

• IniarIniar Australia
    @Aleutia, I hereby commission you for The Wondrous Napkin of Fancy.
  • My napkin's so fancyyyyyy, you already knooooooooooow
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • When Selthis, Lionas and myself eventually create an Imperian podcast, there's totally going to be a slot for bad parodies, and this will be the first one. Related to the original topic, would it be possible to add all of my artifact powers to my claymore? I really want to explain to people that it's a legendary weapon and makes me tankier somehow.

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Crafted weapons cannot be turned into artifact weapons.  Artifact weapons exist for this purpose. 

You may not add artifact powers to artifact weapons either (most artifacts need to be worn anyway).  It's unlikely that this will change, but not impossible.
  • Okay, how do I make this possible? @Jeremy? HELP.

• It would be perhaps my greatest joy to imbue my sword with the water ring and frost bracers' powers.

• IniarIniar Australia
    The Churata of Nightmarish Powers. :excited:
  • We are also now testing a new artifact power, short name some_description.  This power lets you set, artifact by artifact, what artifacts you can see when worn and what artifacts you can detect the power on.  (So you can hide your ugly artifacts while showing off your custom creations)  Test it out on the beta and let me know your comments.

*Disclaimer* I set the artifact price arbitrarily on the beta. Do not assume that it will be the same price, function the same way, or will ever be brought into the game as that's above my pay grade.  
  • My one comment here is this:

Could we get the artifact power fee waived for the first few days of this, maybe the first week? I have a not-insignificant amount of artifacts that could be affected by this and I'd like to use this system without dropping another 100 credits for vanity purposes.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• @bathan - We are looking into making it possible for existing weapons and armor to have powers. It just sounds cool.

@khizan - Sorry on the power fee. No droppy.

• DecDec
    edited August 2014
    We will be expanding the list of things that artifact powers can be added to.  Currently, the following things cannot have artifact powers added:

Weapons
    Armour
    Containers
    FluidContainers
    Sentient things
    Lightable things

This will be reduced once we solve a few technical issues. We want to let people use the powers on things, but obviously not on things that don't make sense.  

Edit: Items with strike through you should now be able to transfer powers to.  You still cannot make items (such as armour) into an artifact, but if it is artifact armour you can add powers to it.
  • Ok, artifact weapons can now have artifact powers on them. Let me know if you encounter any problems, especially with the morphing weapons.
  • edited August 2014
    Imbuing armour and weapons with artifact powers, while cool thematically, seems like a bad idea for multi-profession players.
    “We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • Dec said:
    Ok, artifact weapons can now have artifact powers on them. Let me know if you encounter any problems, especially with the morphing weapons.

Are you expecting that a quicksilver weapon will have access to powers imbued on it throughout any number of morphs?
  • Eldreth said:
    Imbuing armour and weapons with artifact powers, while cool thematically, seems like a bad idea for multi-profession players.

Maybe for people who don't have quicksilver armour and a shifting weapon :(

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• IniarIniar Australia
    Dec said:
    Thank you to all the beta testers we had!  We are now live with artifact powers. 
    Nice work, @Dec.
  • Asai said:
    Dec said:
    Ok, artifact weapons can now have artifact powers on them. Let me know if you encounter any problems, especially with the morphing weapons.

Are you expecting that a quicksilver weapon will have access to powers imbued on it throughout any number of morphs?
    Yes, it should keep all powers imbued to it regardless of the form it is in at the time.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Artfifactlist at 50% Mythical? Really?
    Septus says, "Not Ashani!"
  • Considering it can be used on another person to view all effects they currently possess, which is stupidly useful information if you otherwise don't know what they have, that seems like pretty reasonable placement.
  • Ozreas said:

Considering it can be used on another person to view all effects they currently possess, which is stupidly useful information if you otherwise don't know what they have, that seems like pretty reasonable placement.

. . . Increase in orb sales.
  • The output from ARTIFACT LIST OWNED includes the powers on your own items - artifactlist is primarily intended to assess opponents. Its skill placement was made with that in mind.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I suspect the intended use is this.

(from Eldreth's perspective):

fling hierophant at Iniar
    order Iniar artifactlist Eldreth
    Iniar spasms and dies.
  • Ashani said:
    Artfifactlist at 50% Mythical? Really?
    If you want to see the artifact powers on an individual item, you can always probe the individual item. Presumably, the artifactlist skill is meant for you to be able to quickly assess your inventory and/or someone else's.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    @Dec, are you saying that it might be possible sentient things will be imbueable with powers? Because I then want a dragon. With an auction pet token. And I shall name her Twinky. She shall have 10% Fire resist and be the bearer of my L3 intelligent stuff. :(