Skip to content

Event Feedback, 2.0

Comments

• Khizan said:
    Jeremy said:
    Well, that argument goes both ways. It will be the team that wants it the most. If one team could just quickly run it up, that would not work either.

I want it. But I've also got a test tomorrow, though. Maybe when Imperian first opened I'd have said "Screw it, fight on!" Now, I say "Sorry, I've got a test tomorrow morning, I need to log off."

Nod

• Of course, we would be remiss to ask for things to be fair. I mean, it's only a game, right? Something intended to entertain us - you know, with rules and limitations to ensure each side has a fair chance.. oh, wait.

You are, of course, encouraging 'three different sides'. Regretfully, like all IRE games, things plainly fall in to the 'two sides' category - except in Imperian, that means two thirds of the world against one third of the world. In this case, actually, it is five sixths of the world against one sixth. You threw circles out the window in this event, instead of actively encouraging three sides with actual roleplay incentive to not gang up.

All I'm saying is this would have been more interesting had you done one or both of two things:
    1. Not ran the Godswar until AFTER the Hammer event concluded.
    2. Given each circle a reason to isolate themselves instead of aligning.

No use crying over spilt milk, especially since you don't seem to be agreeing anyways.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • If I was to strictly keep things by circle, that would not be "fair" either. Different classes, skills, number of players, time zones. Fair is impossible. I would have to give all the cities the same amount of gold to hire troops. Cities with less players online would have to be powered up somehow. Fair is 100% impossible in a game like this.

• And lo, did this event finally end. Finally.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • edited October 2012
    Jeremy said:
    I am still encouraging three different sides.

I do not believe that everything should be or can be 100% fair or even all of the time. Especially RP things.

I agree with this, and I have no problem losing this. Kinsarmar made a valiant effort, but glorious last stands against overwhelming numbers are called last stands for a reason. We fought the good fight, we proved that we could put up a respectable fight against the whole world, and we won a few of those teamfights decisively against horrid odds.  I didn't go into this with any real expectation of winning a 1v5 against the entire world. It's just not feasible. Sure, we could win one battle, and we did. But no event like this was going to be decided on just one battle, and that means we weren't going to win it. Just how it goes.  

If we'd REALLY wanted it to turn out differently, we could have handled matters differently with RP at the start. I'm sure we'd have ended up losing the debate politically too, though, since people are whiny about the Demon Lords killing the Pantheon for some reason. We might have been able to break the alliance up by handling it differently, but I doubt it. It was very much in the best interests of AM and Demonic to form alliances, and Kinsarmar was strong enough so that it had no need to do it. Celidon joined in, but Celidon has always played it safe and boring in things like this. We'd have won it clearly on the battlefield; that's why they chose to win the event over a negotiating table. We might have been able to win it there if things had gone differently, but screw that, negotiating is boring. 

I'd rather go it alone, and when the Horde inevitably does rise up, I'll get to say "We told you so! We told you the demons were no threat!" and completely ignore the fact that, had we killed the Horde, Jeremy would have made the demons into a threat.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the event overall. I had a lot of fun. I helped free ancient Demon Lords, joined the personal service of one of them, watched her kill a ton of Gods, watched Her die, and then I made a cool sword about it. Then I got to throw a finger in the face of the world and make a glorious last stand. What more could I want? Sure, a few things were dumb right at the end, and a few things were way too grindy, but overall, I had a blast. A-, would play again. 

EDIT: Too grindy for an A+.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Nice post. I am not 100% happy with things by any means, so don't think that I am. Looking at you @Sarrius. I will probably have a couple of things that we will talk about with players before out next BIG event. However we do have a couple smaller things that will start to roll out as soon as this week.

I will also be giving the poor coders a short break for event code for a bit.

• edited October 2012
    I enjoyed myself, even though I knew it was hopeless.

Have to be honest, I am not sure why Kinsarmar opposed the destruction of the rift beyond a few inane reasons but at the very least it made it a far more interesting affair for everyone involved ( I hope ).
  • I really think that post God world and what follows has the potential to change world alignments and define ongoing RP (with the introduction of hero characters or some such who give every city/ council something against all others)

Would love to see where this goes.

• Yeah, I am glad there was some fighting. Way more fun.

• ICly: Caelya's a dwarf who has a Thing about the Horde, Sarrius would say that the sky is yellow if the Alliance said it was blue, and Khizan feels that with the Demon Lords dead, the demons are a minor threat at best. He is also not amazingly happy about sealing the rift his Demon Lady emerged from, but this is, of course, not the reason that he gives people.

OOCly: How boring would it have been if there was no resistance and they just marched it right up to the thing? That's no end for an event of this scale.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I only opposed closing the rift because Kinsarmar did, like Justus. To be honest, Kinsarmar's stance on the Hammer seemed to be most like the "Who's on First?" joke, to me. All in all, I had fun with the finale - I am just very sore about the circumstances of its beginning and the way the deck ended up stacked against my side of the game. I am also very sore about the time it began, etc, etc. We would have had a much more interesting battle if this event had given us appealing reason to pick any of the three choices, instead of the three choices being presented to us on a sheet of paper with Demon highlighted, bolded, circled, underlined, and written in an obnoxious yet readable font. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Undead and Horde were written in Wingdings.

That's OK, though. I got to PK people, my side put up a pretty good fight, and Jeremy once again listened to me bitch throughout the entire thing.
  • I would be worried if people did not complain. Complaints mean people are invested in the game.

• Actually, I was really hoping the Horde was going to go in the end. Fear not, the Horde have a massive update coming now. You will be crying next time the come to town.

• THEY will be crying.

I will have my feet kicked up on a chair somewhere with a drink in my hand, and I will be laughing. "Told you. Toooooold you."

• Jeremy said:
    Actually, I was really hoping the Horde was going to go in the end. Fear not, the Horde have a massive update coming now. You will be crying next time the come to town.
    I was praying the Horde would go too, because they are very one-dimensional and unfun. They actually really hold no bearing in the conflict of Imperian - that would require some kind of circle that sympathizes with them near constantly.
  • To be honest, I think the deck was stacked against Kinsarmar long before we reached the climax to this event. We set our course and we followed it through to the end. For that much, at least, I am glad. I expect and understand that we took a particularly antagonistic and arguably a difficult, even illogical, route.

The opening of the rift, the lack of genuine commitment to the alliance, (for which I am partly responsible and thoroughly unrepentant) and of course our decision at the end. It's one of those things and in honesty, I was happy purely for the chance to be able to fight people again without listening to the entirety of Aetherius scream.

It was fun. I enjoyed myself, more so towards the end. Thank you for doing it.
  • I did the best thing an idiot like myself could do in that situation. I put on some epic music, sat back, and watched the chaos. It was actually more fun watching this than the God fights. Not that the God fights were necessarily bad, but, this was interesting as hell.
    Jarrhn tells you, ""Jarrhn has been sucked through Jarrhn's wormhole, and perished in the Dream Realm." Inception'd."
  • I got to come back to the game and two days later organize the largest military alliance in the history of the game. What would I possibly have to complain about?
  • edited October 2012
    I couldn't very well choose to take out anyone other than the Demons.

Jora already had contempt for most of the Divine, since they would leave for decades, come around and want everyone to love them, only to leave again. At least Calix kept it real on only stopped by to drink with Jora.

The demons destroyed Jora's favorite drinking buddy.

War were declared.
    Someone powerful says, "Its broken. No more pulling the guillotine."
  • Juran said:
    I got to come back to the game and two days later organize the largest military alliance in the history of the game. What would I possibly have to complain about?
    It wasn't difficult enough?
  • You have to be fair to those guys. They trawled over Aetherius for like, hours, trying to get the Hammer through the squads of Demons/Horde/Undead and then us constantly slowing them down.

It was as difficult as it was ever going to be, in all honesty,

Besides, love to hate relationships make it more interesting for me. I've always secretly enjoyed being an antagonist and it has been a long time since I got to be a nuisance to the best part of the game.
  • But you've always been a nuisance to me!

• Justus said:
    You have to be fair to those guys. They trawled over Aetherius for like, hours, trying to get the Hammer through the squads of Demons/Horde/Undead and then us constantly slowing them down.

It was as difficult as it was ever going to be, in all honesty,

Besides, love to hate relationships make it more interesting for me. I've always secretly enjoyed being an antagonist and it has been a long time since I got to be a nuisance to the best part of the game.
    To be honest, my bitterness is diminishing when I realize just how good of a fight we put up. Especially considering our class diversity was awful for a good portion of it.
  •  

Justus said:
    I've always secretly enjoyed being an antagonist and it has been a long time since I got to be a nuisance to the best part of the game.

It takes good villains to make good heroes. It's true.

• Ohm said:

Justus said:
    I've always secretly enjoyed being an antagonist and it has been a long time since I got to be a nuisance to the best part of the game.

It takes good villains to make good heroes. It's true.

That's actually quite insightful and true to a certain extent. Now you're making me rethink a lot of things...damn it, Ohm!! :P
    Jarrhn tells you, ""Jarrhn has been sucked through Jarrhn's wormhole, and perished in the Dream Realm." Inception'd."
  • edited October 2012
    What surprised me is that Kinsarmar had the balls to take on the entire rest of the world at once. And actually did a pretty good job at it for a while.

I also like the transition to the fourth age! Woo, go Age of Mortality.
  • Kinsarmar did a good job. I didn't want to help because Ziat could never see himself helping demonic, not Ahkan, Aleutia at least. Plus it was only Gurn from Celidon

At the end, I joined so we can just get done with because just like 30 minutes ago before Aleutia blew the rift, we got like 3 raids which killed like 7 guards :(

Kinsarmar made the ending fun. It felt like an accomplishment to a lot of people (As per the ring). Good work with the event, all the admin/volunteer/whoever else helped.
  • edited October 2012
    "Despite a last-ditch effort by Shukron, Justus, and Sarrius at the Demon's Pass, the Hammer broke through into the demonic stronghold."

Haha, sweet.

ALSO: The time period is now Y1AM - aka First year of the Age of Mortals..
  • edited October 2012
    The event shouldn't have ended this way.

Deliberately timing it so that the end, the final choice, boiled down to a matter of timezone and who had the most fighters on, should not have happened. Not after several weeks of grinding. This event fell in to the same trap so many have, and that's a shame because parts of it were fun. 

The characters who actually pushed the dig, did most of the work and had the greatest involvement in this got no say in the final decision because of how it was handled. Despite a majority Kinsarmarian group managing to hold off everyone who opposed the hammer for 4/5ths of the event, because the administration chose to run the last part this way and chose to run it at the time they did, this meant nothing.

On top of that, an obvious, glaring bug was abused; And then fixed, and then a NEARLY IDENTICAL one was abused, from what I hear - And yet it's being deemed an oversight, and ok. It's not. When someone finds a glaring loophole in a major part of the event, near identical to one that's just been patched, that should be it. They shouldn't be part of the event any longer. I can only imagine the bitching, issues and rants if it had been someone in magick who grabbed the hammer and phased or similar.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is if you're going to make the event a grindfest, you don't let one chunk of your playerbase do all the grinding and then make it possible for another group to swoop in at the last minute and take over. If you're going to do that, you need to make the finale occur at a time that's reasonable for all involved, not just americans. 

• edited October 2012
    I'm over it. Why can't you be, too? Right now, I'm more concerned with the fact that some of Kinsarmar's leaders want to apologize for the demon lords. Kinsarmar shouldn't apologize, and everybody asking them to is retarded. You know DAMN well that somebody would have unleashed them if Kinsarmar hadn't. The city is just being used as a scapegoat because Sanai and Khizan were the only people with enough patience to herd the entirety of the game's active population like the collective horde of cats that they are, and they happen to be Kinsarmarian. There were plenty of other cities/councils present.

This event is done and we lost - oh well. You did most of the work? Oh well, they did most of the work getting the Hammer. Not that it was difficult, considering they had five times the amount of organizations (two cities, three councils), the same resources plus two more categories of resources (three circles of skills vs. a single circle of skills), and oh, five times the amount of people. We fought the good fight. We lost. To be honest, I as a player wanted the Horde to die because they suck as a villain. Sarrius as a character wanted the demons to die, but he sided with Kinsarmar because it is his duty to lead them to war - what with being the Commander of War and all.

For some reason beyond me, Kinsarmar deemed the Horde the biggest threat. It is likely the trappings of so many real years of Kinsarmar being hammered in to an anti-Horde storyline, despite the Horde having zero bearing on the conflict/points of contention in the modern ages of Imperian (What do they really have to do with Magick vs. Anti-Magick vs. Demonic? If anything, the Horde represents pre-circle Demon now - they don't care what they use, though Devotion and etc is oddly missing from their arsenal of nonsense.). I am thankful they were foolish enough to think this, because it got me a few hours of battle and a few neat lines in the events post. I had fun, despite my posted misgivings, and in retrospect, I would rather have had fun despite hating the event than had zero fun and still hate the event.