Skip to content

Combat strategy on the wiki

I think this belongs here instead of the combat forum, but I could be wrong.

The wiki is great for providing a preview of what a class entails and what to expect to from it. Yes, the main site has this information, but the wiki presents it already digested down and easy to understand to a complete noob.

Can we keep building on this awesome resource? Simple PvE strategies like (remember FITNESS, BARKSKIN, WEATHERING, your main attack is .

Simple PvP combos too, though obviously that one would be little more than a very simple guideline. Eg break both legs, and use backbreaker throw whenever you can.

A few classes have most of this info fleshed out already. It's a great resource for newcomers. All of this can eventually be learned from reading all your AB class skills, but this would help throttle the info overload. I think it's easy for veteran players to forget how incredibly overwhelming everything can be for newbies, and this kind of resource really helps out.

Comments

• If we're very, very lucky, a few of the players who have documented this information will organize and share some of it.  At the very least, Imperian players so far seem willing to share information on mechanics and statistics fairly readily (assuming they have it).  
  • edited June 2014

Generally speaking, everybody who knows enough about combat to write something like this doesn't care enough about the wiki to actually do so.

EDIT: The exception would have probably been Treeonis, who is no more.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Yeah, it seems like the guys who are that good (or even "pretty, pretty, pretty good") very, very rarely have the patience, or even the inclination for projects like that, much less to put them in a format that is palatable for people who aren't equally immersed in both game mechanics and scripting.  It's just not who most of them are.  When they do though, they sometimes make amazing things that fundamentally change the landscape of the game itself (yeah, talking about Mudlet/svo/Vadi), provide incredible system support, and even push admin to start considering changes that would have been unthinkable at one time.  He's even impacted this game, through the existence of Mudlet.  That said, I never would have expected something like that to happen, and I'm still pinching myself that it did, and that it has continued for as long as it has.  Anyway, one of the best ways to jump start the wiki might be to dig up the best information you can and start editing and adding.  If it's wrong, some of those guys might start correcting it, because dammit, newb did it wrong :P  Might be worth a shot.  Obviously don't try to be wrong...
  • EdricEdric El Salvador
    edited June 2014
    Oh, I definitely plan to in the very few areas I have any knowledge of, once I'm able to. I wasn't thinking "you roflstomp nerds by using xyz super complex affliction lock combo". I was thinking more along the lines of what's currently written for the Outrider profession in the wiki (perhaps add a tiny bit more). Simple, easy to understand, helpful info to get an idea of how a class works. Might seem silly to most regular players, but I think (as a complete noob) other fellow noobs would find it invaluable.

Edit: I think I see what I did wrong. I had bashing in mind too. I forget "combat" has a pvp connotation
  • Also, there's many different schools of thoughts for each profession, and people like to hate on each other for thinking differently. So. There's that too.
  • EdricEdric El Salvador
    Gurn said:

people like to hate on each other for thinking differently.

So I've noticed :P. It's fine though, I think thanks to these forum rivalries we get some really good discussions on a lot of topics.

• IniarIniar Australia
    Hardly anyone uses the wiki. Unless @Jeremy can clarify.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    It's like a library. We don't really need it, but we keep it anyways for the sake of simply having it.