Skip to content

The November Great Hunt

2»

Comments

• Ragnar said:
    If it's so horrendous, don't do it.

I personally think Jeremy is being fantastic by chopping it down to six hour chunks.

Say thank you already and move on.
    I can't pick a word that's polite so I'm just going to call this sort of terrible line of thought short sighted.

The great hunt has two benefits. Win credits and Get double xp. The problem is that you end up with 3 aspects poopsocking the game. One aspect can clear 3 areas in almost an hour. 3 aspects can perpetually keep all the good areas clear. No system accommodates for this. No point system? I win killing rats. Point system, I can win and deny at the same time. Both are dumb. Oh, what a great contest. 3% of your game's peak population is enjoying the game. That's -stellar-. The problem is the system is so god awful they already can't play.

Contests should be fun. Contests should be inclusive. Imperian's great hunt is neither of these. You're dogging on people for addressing that.
  • There's also something to be said for the fact that some people by nature of their chosen class have far less chance and or have to work far harder.

• Think the Tiers need to be set differently... I dont want to go against 90's and 100's :\
    (Only if we keep voting!)
  • Tahirah said:
    Think the Tiers need to be set differently... I dont want to go against 90's and 100's :\
    I don't know exactly how the tiers will be divided, but sadly, the way the experience requirement scales for levels basically there is 70+ for anyone not really a true newbie. Cause you can hit 70 in about a day, and after that things slow waaaaaaaayyyyy down. So even if they were to do 4 tiers, (or 10 for that matter) you tend to end up getting stuck with a bunch of people that have bashed a whole lot more than you.
  • The tier system is weird, but it's been the best we've had. How are you going to design a better system? Ten tiers means Imperian is dishing out 10x the reward on top of whatever threshold bonuses they include. Most of the time, the knee jerk response to that is going to be to dilute the winnings. Then silly players response to that will be a rabid hodgepodge of omg u want me 2 bash 4 1hr for 10c. Lolfunosir. 

My big problem with the Great Hunt is that I've never seen it go to someone who was really in need of credits. I just saw a derpy artifact whale   autobash to victory while they slept. You're going to see the same issue with the lesser great hunts. And let's be honest. 99.99% of the time, that dude who bashed for 2 days was at the computer for .2 days. I'm not really keen on helping upgrade an artifact whale. I'd rather see the contest rewards lowered by 66% and the thresholds broadened. So instead of :efffort: 500, 1000, 1500 it's more like 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 adding up to a greater total, which pretty much puts the onus on you to decide "How much is my time worth to get x-y-z credits" Truth be told, most people are going to stop before 2000 because bashing is that bad on the psyche.

**this being said, everything in my previous post still stands. The artifact whale can deny all you lesser peons access to delicious npcs to kill. The new "shorter hunt", while a better option for all, is going to exacerbate this.

This great hunt? Go pred or go home.

• Ahkan said:

. 99.99% of the time, that dude who bashed for 2 days was at the computer for .2 days. 

I'll have you know the Great Hunt I won, I was actually at the computer for like, 18-20 hours a day. I actually took out an old keyboard to use for it, because I ended up actually breaking my F1 button. To be fair, it was a pretty crappy keyboard, but...

Just saying, while I know there are auto-bashers out there, there's a lot of people who actually just put in the effort for it.

• IniarIniar Australia
    Was it fun, Gurn?
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  •  I like the Great Hunt, if only that it happened right around when I was at 99, moving towards Aspect and made that easier to get.

I don't intend to bash like I did in the last one, but I'll still use the experience bonus as much as I can.

• I really hope there is some sort of check on the prolific winners in these events, it seems like there are a few people out there who are involved in superhuman bashing sprees.
  • Are you really surprised that people poopsock for absurdly low wages?
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Not surprised, at all.
  • Can we rename future events to the Great Predator Credit Give Away?
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited December 2013
    Cadeyrn said:
    I really hope there is some sort of check on the prolific winners in these events, it seems like there are a few people out there who are involved in superhuman bashing sprees.
    A while ago we made a terrible mistake and legalized auto-bashing with the caveat of "must be at the computer." I can imagine this being hard to enforce or to check. Then you have to throw in the :effort: involved in proving it, which you likely won't see. If at any point you get caught autobashing, you can really just say, "Man, I was alt tabbed in League of Legends." Then, how are you going to prove me wrong? You don't know. You can't prove I was sound asleep in my bed. You're going to have to go a long, long, long way to prove that the top 5 are usually autobashing. Even if some of them walk the exact same path, hit the exact same mobs, and run the same cycle. As much as I'd love them to come down on these kids like a ton of bricks, I'd rather the people who handle issues code things that make the game better, as opposed to something that ends up being an inconsequential slap on the wrist.

I am not a fan of bashing by any means. However, I will do it when necessary. If most of us have to sit here and mindlessly press f1, f1, f1, f1 and find people to talk to pass the time...everyone else should have to as well. Especially when credits are up for grabs.

To be honest, I've considering autobashing. I really don't because: I'd have to die to something dumb like Brishi. I've seen how well other people with Faz's autobasher bash. Lastly, I'm sure someone would be willing to put forth the effort to catch me autobashing :P
  • I believe everything was well, and a few tweaks to keep in mind or review these ideas?

Point re-evaluation: The points were unexpectedly short for the 3 hour period we have to bash. They would be fine for the straight-through 72 hour bashing session but since these are done in shorter spurts of hunting, things should probably be bumped and lowered and moved around.

Take for instance the Klaken orcs - They are not worth bashing because of points vs. time spent writhing from impale. That is a waste of time. Perhaps things that hinder bashing like impale, webs and such should make the denizen worth much more. I can't remember if I was getting 2 or 3 points for them, when there are easier things worth 2 points.

Start & End of sessions: I did not understand the 60 seconds to 'prepare' when after the very first moment people are already bashing. I think this should be longer to take things like swimming, movement, and trenches into account.

These are just things I thought about during the GH, not sure but overall think everything went pretty well for most people :)

@Jeremy.

(Only if we keep voting!)
  • AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited December 2013
    @Jeremy So following Tahirah's post, there are some things that can be done to make future greater hunts better.

During your 60s reset, could you reset all the bashing areas in the game to respawn? There way it was set up this time, an aspect could effectively area deny between cycles since it was cleared from the first segment. Personally, I'd prefer the wave method of progressively harder, more valuable critters. But cleaning the slate before the next round would be awesome.

A lot of people felt short changed because you could only earn :effort: credits once, but you could win/place more than once, perhaps even back to back. This is pretty exclusive, largely because of the fact that if a person sees they're competing against the person who just had 2-4x their score, they'll just drop out. If you allow for multiple sets of effort credits (maybe reduce them and raise the threshold) there's always a 'reward' for competing.

Can you clarify if "Sarriusing" aka, indirectly screwing with someone via 3rd party, icewalls, traps, flood is legit?

Also: You can't make soulspears during a hunt. Could we have pk flagged bodies be soulspeared?
  • Can you also clarify if killing people over a Great Hunt is acceptable, since Ithaqua is experiencing a small blip of drama about this very issue? I would err on the side of 'no', but stranger precedents have been set.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • AmbroseAmbrose Texas
    edited December 2013
    Sarrius said:
    Can you also clarify if killing people over a Great Hunt is acceptable, since Ithaqua is experiencing a small blip of drama about this very issue? I would err on the side of 'no', but stranger precedents have been set.
    I don't know about small... we might lose a very active and involved novice over it......
  • I don't know about killing them over the hunt itself, that seems certainly out. But killing them for any other reason that would normally warrant it seems fine.

• Respawning all of the areas would be pretty hard to do. Not impossible, but I will have to look into it.

PK during a Great Hunt falls under the same rules as PK during any other time. You have to have a reason to PK them just like any other time.

You can icewall, etc just like you can when there is not a Great Hunt going on.

I could extend the 60 second wait period, but I am not sure that will make any difference. 

I will look into redoing some of the points, but the whole system is automated, so there will always be some mobs that just work better for the GH over others.

It will be a couple months before we do another GH. I am pretty sure we will come up with more ways to make it better. We should have several areas revamped by then so that there are more areas that have waves or respawn faster as well.

• So wait, I can purposefully impede people in a non-lethal way for the purpose of slowing down their GH progress?
  • It's always been that way. It's kind of one of the best things to do if you're not involved in the Great Hunt itself. It's also why, close to Thanksgiving, I've always made sure to apologize to everyone and talk about how I'm reforming and becoming a good guy.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Ambrose said:
    Sarrius said:
    Can you also clarify if killing people over a Great Hunt is acceptable, since Ithaqua is experiencing a small blip of drama about this very issue? I would err on the side of 'no', but stranger precedents have been set.
    I don't know about small... we might lose a very active and involved novice over it......
    The matter of this situation is extremely ridiculous. That's fine if PK is allowed, but the reason -why this one happened-, shouldn't be. In my opinion, something needs to be done about it.
  • Yeah, the situation is just stupid. To be honest, I wouldn't mind as much if everyone had acted like decent, mature people. But apparently, that was too much to hope for. Anyways, more than the PK rules being violated, I feel bad that the novice was treated pretty poorly (albeit, took it more personally than I would've, but whatever), and I wish that hadn't been the case.