Skip to content

Levelling Mobs

OhmOhm
edited October 2012 in New Ideas

I was contemplating if there could be some type of mobs which level and gain experience and get stronger the longer they are around (possibly gaining new skills while at it.)

So imagine an orc (Ululu) from the Klakan clan who sets out to prove himself to the tribe. He kills some random animals along the way and gains more XP and becomes stronger. His bloodlust rises and he slowly terrorizes the knights in the Kryx'Lyre caverns overpowering them. If not killed at this stage, he'd go on and attack (say Trabine) and engage its guards/ possibly citizens and loot its comm shop.

As such, these mobs must be bountiable by an organization and should have immunity to group attacks.

Potential RP opportunities include having them deployed as corsairs against other organizations (hey, look Stavenn is protecting the orc). I realize this will probably take Celani time but I imagine that a volunteer could take care of the minor RP.

Thoughts?

Comments

• I like the idea, but not that implementation.
  • We have a server-side autocuring system and dozens of people can use it without putting stress on the server. Why not make boss mobs that you can fight like another player, with afflictions and etc, that cure and heal?
  • Any technical difficulties aside, that actually makes them way too easy due to CC rotations.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• CC rotations?
  • Stuns, transfixes, webs, hangedman, etc. 

Bring a friend, spam web the boss npc.
  • Ahkan said:
    Stuns, transfixes, webs, hangedman, etc. 

Bring a friend, spam web the boss npc.
    Oh, crowd control.

But I guess you could do the same thing to a player, couldn't you?
  • Yes, you can. Proper use of CC is crucial for good kill teams. Being on the receiving end of a good kill team tends to generate massive amounts of combat rage as a result.
  • I guess I was coming more from a mob with some character and RP possibilities. Not many offer that IG today.

• This has sat in the back of my head. We have mob minimum, maximum, and current levels in code right now, but we do not do anything with them. We  could make it so mobs gain levels as they kill players or whatever. But I am not really sure how much that would really add to the game.

I want you to make this thing level 200, have a spin that makes him immune to CC, crits, also omnislash. And we could fight him for his sword.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • Could it be? Someone who cherishes their sword more than Bathan?

• edited October 2012

This is how I see it.

• I see ball fro
  • Problem is, eventually they reach aspect, and become the Orc equivilant of Chuck Norris. Someone with better photoshop skills than I, queue Chuck-Norris-head-on-orc-body pic, please.
  • edited October 2012
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • Apoloc said:

This is how I see it.
    That's a big sword. I like it.
  • @Bathan, I actually always imagined Rafe to look like that.

• @kryss I imagined Rafe to be more of a classical European retired knight types 

• Wow...do we really have to quote that pic @Gurn?

• I like seeing the big sword again.
  • I see someone has invested a feat into Improved Double Entendre.

• Anyone remember the Spawn of Unnameable Horror and the Beast of Thera? Didn't they level up as they killed more people?

With Imperian's ability to code damage resistance, no-crit, etc. Wouldn't it be possible to make for some high level encounters and possibly some boss encounters? I know the plant in Llus was supposed to run along the boss fight mentality, but you can burn Seymour down with crits. I don't want to be forced to fight a ridiculous boss npc, but I'd really like the option to be there for organizations to take down big name npcs. This could range from custom designed bosses to, hey, this orc has been really successful at last hitting.

The only problems I see with this are when it comes time to team up against Krizog the Kill Stealer. AM would gather up the panda-train to take down Krizog and some kid with nothing else to do in life rolls in and drops retard on the entire raid. I guess some of the content should be world-pvp and some of it should be encounter only, just to reduce the "we're a bunch of assholes" problem.
  • For some reason, the idea of a random boss Orc who is also an Aspect REALLY amuses me.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • I guess - I would like to take it to the next level.

As an example: 

A malicious holy spirit starts raiding Khandavan townes. It makes a deal with AM that as long as they protect it, it will give one of their townes a production boost.

Khandava on the other hand would lose resources from their townes until they got rid of this spirit.

In effect, this would create conflict between different factions on a minor scale. Don't know how feasible this is.
  • Ahkan said:
    Anyone remember the Spawn of Unnameable Horror and the Beast of Thera? Didn't they level up as they killed more people?

With Imperian's ability to code damage resistance, no-crit, etc. Wouldn't it be possible to make for some high level encounters and possibly some boss encounters? I know the plant in Llus was supposed to run along the boss fight mentality, but you can burn Seymour down with crits. I don't want to be forced to fight a ridiculous boss npc, but I'd really like the option to be there for organizations to take down big name npcs. This could range from custom designed bosses to, hey, this orc has been really successful at last hitting.

The only problems I see with this are when it comes time to team up against Krizog the Kill Stealer. AM would gather up the panda-train to take down Krizog and some kid with nothing else to do in life rolls in and drops retard on the entire raid. I guess some of the content should be world-pvp and some of it should be encounter only, just to reduce the "we're a bunch of assholes" problem.
    We actually added several new boss mobs in this last event. All of them a hard to kill, need special tactics to finish, give honour lines, drop temp artifacts. We are going to work on adding more monsters like this. Is this what you are talking about here?

• edited October 2012
    Ahkan said:
    There's something really surreal about seeing you post this.

E: Also, +1 to the idea of Orc Aspects. Onkassus is trying to take control of the monolith at...
  • edited October 2012
    In my head I see @Jeremy rolling need on whatever bow this Orc Boss might drop.  

• Jeremy said:
    Ahkan said:
    Anyone remember the Spawn of Unnameable Horror and the Beast of Thera? Didn't they level up as they killed more people?

We actually added several new boss mobs in this last event. All of them a hard to kill, need special tactics to finish, give honour lines, drop temp artifacts. We are going to work on adding more monsters like this. Is this what you are talking about here?
    Yeah. The argument from a long time ago were that the coding didn't exist for 'bosses' outside of very high level, crazy damage attacks. I was using your event npcs as an example of how you guys have brought the code along way that we're able to have bosses that force us to do things other than hit and run. Can you imagine the beast or the spawn with damage resist, absolve and behead attacks as he leveled up? 

@Sanai: It's understandable that you might be confused, what with carrying the torch and all nowadays. 
  • No-crits was really the biggest advance, and it could stand to be retroactively added to a few things that are cool but didn't quite pan out, like the aforementioned Llus plant. The demon bosses were ridiculously fun, though I'd like to see a few that are less potentially crushing and could serve to ease less high-resist/artifacted/leveled players into things. (Granted, resist/mitigation classleads might help that in some cases as well.)
    Ahkan said:

@Sanai: It's understandable that you might be confused, what with carrying the torch and all nowadays. 
    No remorse!