Skip to content

Mapping Changes

Comments

• Labil said:
    For those that for some reason still use IMTS' mapper 
    The IMapper moves WAY faster than the in-game mapper and has the awesome room find function. Until the in-game mapper can match those two things, the IMapper remains superior, provided you have a good map.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Well, I said that because I'm not sure about the usage. I still use it myself, but for my own reasons.
  • Aleutia said:
    @Jeremy While you're mucking around in the desert, would it be possible to get Room #6587 - 'In the shadow of a stone outcropping.' and those rooms connected to it added to the in game map view?

Also I just flew through the Shaahri, that looks about a thousand times better <3
    Done.

• edited July 2013
    Regarding iMapper, it's a great thing to have with Cmud, but not at all necessary with Mudlet and Vadim's amazing IRE Mapping.

Ever so slightly off-topic, updated Mudlet Map just now.

That desert squid...

• Not necessary, but it isn't necessary with any client mapper, or with the server-side mapper. But it's also better than any other option I've used, including Mudlet's mapper module.
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • I have edited the Khandava forest slightly so things would fit a little better.

I have also taken a pretty hard pass at the Aerish Mountains. When you guys talk about the area being split, I assume you mean that bit of south western mountains from the main bunch?

• MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    edited July 2013
    If you mean the one that's briefly through Ik'taru's southern points, where when you re-enter Areish you can go up on three east-west rooms, then yes.

E: I once -again- forgot the roomnumber for the beginning room of what used to be Cimi's temple, usually Mena just reminds me :[
  • Actually, in a related note, is it possible to implement some sort of room find  <partial or full word> where it would display  vnums of all the rooms associated with a cap on how many it returns? Say 20?  So I couldn't do room find A and lag the server (don't do this on the imapper or vadi mapper, trust me). 

Could even implement a similar cooldown to the command like path find has to prevent abuse. Basically, why not obliterate the need for third party  mappers altogether?
  • You know why I still use IMTS' mapper? Because the in-game one only generates one path, if I move from the room I did the path find, the path is lost.

I'm not sure how feasible is that the in-game mapper is able to store all possible paths to the destination room, per person. It might be just a memory problem, but until then, I will stick with IMapper, between that and the inability to look up rooms, even if the in-game is maybe superior in any other way.

• Selthis said:
    Actually, in a related note, is it possible to implement some sort of room find  <partial or full word> where it would display  vnums of all the rooms associated with a cap on how many it returns? Say 20?  So I couldn't do room find A and lag the server (don't do this on the imapper or vadi mapper, trust me). 

Could even implement a similar cooldown to the command like path find has to prevent abuse. Basically, why not obliterate the need for third party  mappers altogether?
    Yeah, not possible. It is too laggy.

• Labil said:
    You know why I still use IMTS' mapper? Because the in-game one only generates one path, if I move from the room I did the path find, the path is lost.

I'm not sure how feasible is that the in-game mapper is able to store all possible paths to the destination room, per person. It might be just a memory problem, but until then, I will stick with IMapper, between that and the inability to look up rooms, even if the in-game is maybe superior in any other way.
    Again, too much for a serer to handle with all the people running around. It would lag the game.

• AhkanAhkan Texas
    edited July 2013
    Doesn't Imperian still host an up to date map of the game somewhere that you can export and convert to an imap file with some of Aedius' sick voodoo?

If not, it can't be that hard to make a small program that would do that for players, would it? 
  • Ahkan said:
    Doesn't Imperian still host an up to date map of the game somewhere that you can export and convert to an imap file with some of Aedius' sick voodoo?

If not, it can't be that hard to make a small program that would do that for players, would it? 
    The map.xml on the website is still updated.
  • edited July 2013
    Jeremy said:
    Again, too much for a serer to handle with all the people running around. It would lag the game.
    I assumed as much. I wasn't demanding it, just saying why I don't rely as much on it. In fact, despite those things, the in-game mapper is just plain awesome, long needed and very welcome.
    Ahkan said:

You can. I just like to use the numbers Whyte assigned to places, 271 for Stavenn's Gates, 5078 Junction, 605 the Shuk, 103 KC. 

The most awesome one is the magic number 1, which is the Spring (which makes sense since you used to start from the Spring after the tutorial) The in-game number? 8463
  • edited July 2013
    Labil said:
    Jeremy said:
    I assumed as much. I wasn't demanding it, just saying why I don't rely as much on it. In fact, despite those things, the in-game mapper is just plain awesome, long needed and very welcome.
    Ahkan said:

You can. I just like to use the numbers Whyte assigned to places, 271 for Stavenn's Gates, 5078 Junction, 605 the Shuk, 103 KC. 

The most awesome one is the magic number 1, which is the Spring (which makes sense since you used to start from the Spring after the tutorial) The in-game number? 8463
    PATH FIND CAANAE also takes you to the Spring, and that's not a number I have to memorize. I also have an alias that echos a readout of points of interest for me, so I don't have to really do any memorization anyways.

PATH FIND (city) do the same thing for cities. I don't use numbers that much. PATH FIND RIKSHA HILLS, PATH FIND ERORAG, etc etc.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • You can also PATH FIND <area name> now. PATH FIND A FILTHY GOBLIN VILLAGE, etc. There are a couple areas it's broken for, but works for most.
  • Lionas said:
    Ahkan said:

The map.xml on the website is still updated.
    That file automatically gets updated once a day. Although after I make any significant changes to the map, I have been updating it manually.

• Lionas said:
    You can also PATH FIND <area name> now. PATH FIND A FILTHY GOBLIN VILLAGE, etc. There are a couple areas it's broken for, but works for most.
    I plan on cleaning up path find a bit more before we are done as well.

• As part of cleaning up PATH FIND, could you look into making areas work with slight variations on their name? Not looking for massive lists of possibilities, or for handling misspellings, but things like (regex) eor'?gahl, (?:a )?filthy goblin village, cuhpfehr(?: hills)?, etc. If you know what I mean. Just less strict.:
  • MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    You are forgetting about the potential overlap, and again, latency.
  • I'd just like it if some of the areas could just be pathed to with shorter and more sensible names.

Trying to path to Magglix required something like "path find the awesometastic domain of magglix the awesometastic" instead of "path find magglix", whereas some areas have things like "path find eorgahl" instead of "path find the eerie encampment of e'o'r'ga'hl in the hills of wherever this place is".

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Some of them do work that way already though. You can PATH FIND AORI or PATH FIND THE AORI BAY but you can't PATH FIND AORI BAY.

To get to Mavitt woods, you have to use -the mavitt woods- it's just confusing as to what has short names and what doesn't.
  • Yeah, I'm just going to assume you two didn't catch what I meant. I didn't mean you should be able to use regex expressions as an argument when path finding, because that's stupid. I was demonstrating what should be acceptable when path finding, using regex to shorten it. I think you should be able to 
    path find eor'gahl encampment 
    path find eorgahl encampment
    path find eor'gahl
    and path find eorgahl 
    but path find eor'?gahl( encampment)? is a quicker way for me to express that without typing all those possibilities out. Geez.

With that out of the way, I think everyone agrees that making shortnames a little more consistent would be amazing. Anali and mavitt being two examples of things that should work, but don't. It would also be cool to allow people to leave out the commas in names like eor'gahl, k'teire, lorka'ig, etc. Not a big deal, but no change to PATH FIND is really a big deal in the first place.

Oh, and I can't find a single syntax that works for Tageen Lake, not even using SHORTEST.

• Dicene said:
    Yeah, I'm just going to assume you two didn't catch what I meant. I didn't mean you should be able to use regex expressions as an argument when path finding, because that's stupid. I was demonstrating what should be acceptable when path finding, using regex to shorten it. I think you but path find eor'?gahl( encampment)? is a quicker way for me to express that without typing all those possibilities out. Geez.

I find it a bit mind boggling that someone consider regular expressions quicker that just typing the straight name.
  • Labil said:

Dicene said:
    Yeah, I'm just going to assume you two didn't catch what I meant. I didn't mean you should be able to use regex expressions as an argument when path finding, because that's stupid. I was demonstrating what should be acceptable when path finding, using regex to shorten it. I think you but path find eor'?gahl( encampment)? is a quicker way for me to express that without typing all those possibilities out. Geez.

I find it a bit mind boggling that someone consider regular expressions quicker that just typing the straight name.
    Representing all permutations using regex is a lot easier than typing out all permutations.
  • Once PATH FIND accepts consistent short names, would it be still worth it?
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I think Dicene was just too lazy to type for -this- post. He doesn't actually mean use reg ex in game. :) unless I'm wrong
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Bodah Island might need to be looked at too. It has a those repeating room things which makes mapping it hard

• I'm honestly hoping that the Shaahri remains a desert you can get lost in.  All I ever wanted was a clear path to Antioch, and if all these difficult to navigate areas are tamed, I might cry.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Ziat said:
    Bodah Island might need to be looked at too. It has a those repeating room things which makes mapping it hard

There are about 5k rooms that have the same names. I was manually combining all duplicated room names into single lines until I got to 1.5k lines after four hours and gave up. I feel your pain.