Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• You are holding:
    "bread159613" a large pretzel stuffed with cheese

Can we please stop approving things like this? 

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• I'll bite. Why's it an issue?
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • It's an issue because items are created whose keyword is obscure or otherwise different from the short desc of the item, making them difficult to target. In this example, 'a large pretzel stuffed with cheese' is identified as 'bread'. If it's a pretzel, why is the item called bread and not pretzel? I'm sure it has something to do with item types in the cooking crafting skill or something, but it's still an annoyance, however minor.

• Probably because a pretzel is a type of bread.  And pretzels aren't made enough to justify a new item type just for them.  And because that would mean there were like 5 billion different item types for every profession.
  • It has everything to do with the relatively small number of item types available to cooking designers. Prior to the tradeskill revamp, I believe it was also more difficult/time-consuming to create new item types, and so cooking designers in particular were always given a lot of leeway when designing items, with available item types tending toward the generic (bread, bowl, stew).
  • Let's take this Bread ---> Pretzel SAT logic and apply it to the customisation of artifacts #fwp 
    “We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • Can we do this next Great Hunt in the "Lots of little hunts" style and not in the "Let's poopsock this bitch out for 3 solid days" fashion?

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• Seriously, I cannot agree with both of these things enough. I absolutely won't participate in the 'bash for 72 hours for 500 credits' game. I would totally be down to try my luck at the 'bash hard for three hours for 100 credits' game. Also, what Selthis said. Don't make me go fight for NPCs. Just let me fight the hordes of non-gold dropping spirits.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • I am trying to get a couple other things done to release today, once I am done with that I will think about how we can do that great hunt.

• Selthis said:
    Khizan said:
    Can we do this next Great Hunt in the "Lots of little hunts" style and not in the "Let's poopsock this bitch out for 3 solid days" fashion?
    In addition to this, could we please do it like the one Great Hunt where you could just do "call spirits" and it would summon ever escalatingly stronger enemies to your room until you died? Just make the npcs drop no gold.  That was legitimately my favorite time for a great hunt because honestly, competition for areas is dumb in this sort of thing.
    I think that was my favorite GHunt I was ever in. If something like this isn't used for this one, maybe next time. I'm sure I can think of something cool. I also remember the Fort ones, where you would enter a fort and go into an instance and fight horde. That was pretty alright as well.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Is there a way to make these events more centered around collaboration and less around keypresses? Without of course summarily reducing it to a player-numbers game (cf player-hours game)?
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • I'd love if I could buy more than 50 items per batch from shops and whatnot. 

For example BUY 2000 TOADSTOOL rather than typing BUY 50 TOADSTOOL 40 times in a row for the same result.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Agreed. I've resorted to using in-line Lua code to iterate through these: lua for i=1,40 do send("buy 50 toadstool|muhaha") end
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • As noted in the announce post, we've taken your feedback into account for this hunt. It will be a series of short hunts using the LISTEN SPIRIT mechanic.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Bathan said:
    I'll bite. Why's it an issue?
    It's also extremely out of place within the genre. Given how selective they tend to be on things like fabrics and designs, 'pretzel' was first used as a word in written language in 1851.
  • Eoghan said:
    As noted in the announce post, we've taken your feedback into account for this hunt. It will be a series of short hunts using the LISTEN SPIRIT mechanic.
    This is awesome and I really appreciate it.  Would it be possible to get it to be still active between hunt periods and just not adding points to huntrankings? I want to maximize the double xp easy bashing poopsocking I am capable of this weekend. 

Also maybe not make the spirits drop gold or drop less of it, since its just pumping more gold into an economy with no real way to get rid of it.
  • Since LANDMARKS recently got an improvement I'd like to see the same MXP fix for Directories. I'd also like the display to show the price so you're able to quickly run to the best priced item instead of searching each one. And the item description plus maybe the item type should be shown. Doing something like DIRECTORY VIAL gets a lot of results and they might not even be empty vials if that's what I want. 
  • Good idea, I will try to do that in a couple days.

• Two things that still have me using whyte's mapper that I would like to see implemented are:

1. Keyword room searches - I can do 'room find temple' and it will give me a list of room names and vnums of that have the word temple in it. Give it the same cooldown as path finding to prevent lag?
    2. When I do 'path find 1' I would like pathfinding to show how many rooms away it is, and as I move, it will count down on how many rooms left until I make it to my destination.

I would like to get rid of using whyte's mapper entirely, but these 2 features are very critical to playing the game that I can't give it up. 

• While we're talking about pathfinding. Something I'd like to see is being able to path find out and into sewers if I have the ability in Survival. I could pathfind out of Caanae sewers but I could not pathfind out of Antioch's sewers so maybe it's buggy?

Something a bit more advanced would be having the possibility to add special exits for your pathfinding. It'd be bound to your character and you'd have to add it with some kind of command, most likely at the location of the entrance/exit.
  • edited July 2014
    Eoghan said:
    As noted in the announce post, we've taken your feedback into account for this hunt. It will be a series of short hunts using the LISTEN SPIRIT mechanic.
    There were 148 people participating in the Great Hunt this year. If anyone is interested in seeing the total tally of results over the 12 rounds, I've attached the data.  Here are the top 10 across all 12 rounds:

1. Shou 54410
    2. Selthis 33853
    3. Karyn 31570
    4. Kanis 19066
    5. Larkin 16999
    6. Aakrin 12785
    7. Herakh 11196
    8. Khizan 11032
    9. Tikal 10841
    10. Lytharose 9640

• Average per round data.  Which is obviously skewed by non participation in rounds.  In my case I think I missed 3 rounds completely and 1 round for 99% of it due to a power outage. Otherwise my average would be well over 3500 I imagine. 

Name Average per round
    Shou 4534
    Selthis 2821
    Karyn 2631
    Kanis 1589
    Larkin 1417
    Aakrin 1065
    Herakh 933
    Khizan 919
    Tikal 903
    Lytharose 803

Basically what I'm saying is Shou is king of the poopsocks with op predator bashing. 
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    The Champion system currently residing within Imperian would be a decent start towards one on one. I'm sure it could be easily managed with promoting rewards for kill counts and utilize the degree of how champions gain kills. Why not set it to reward those who do fight one on one as champions, and put a malus on not gaining kills if someone else hits the same person within a time frame. This way, at least for the champion system, ganging up on someone wouldn't benefit either one.

Before, you guys had vaguely said something about having rewards, but it seemed very low on your priorities and was ultimately dismissed. The word around is people don't really fight one on one anymore, but some of us die hard fighters would love something like this implemented, especially in between the shardfalls, obelisks, etc.

You guys monitor how characters log on and make sure multiples aren't on at the same time, and you guys do very well with balancing out PK rules. Sure, two people could just gain champion and beat each other up to promote rewarding one another, but that kind of death spam is pretty noticeable and doesn't take long for others to figure out what's going on. I guess I'm suggesting maturity and good faith on this part of the idea, but you guys do a great job finding creative ways around such things.

Ultimately, I would appreciate something on a smaller scale than shardfalls, monoliths, and obelisks that appealed to us handful of fighters who really enjoy one on one. Sure, stalking about people for bounties and other handful of PK reasons somewhat feels fulfilling, but to me lacks substance. I want to feel empowered to fight alone. I want that excitement of figuring out what to balance for that final kill instead of focusing on who has more people that can hit harder and faster. I want a reason to fight someone one on one that involves glory and combat experience, not just being another cog in the killing machine against another killing machine.

In short, give us a better reason to fight someone one on one.
  • edited July 2014

Mathiaus said:

Ultimately, I would appreciate something on a smaller scale than shardfalls, monoliths, and obelisks that appealed to us handful of fighters who really enjoy one on one.
    This is what the arena is for.

Azefel aside, I am surprised more active combatants don't participate in the current Champion system, given the fact it has an awesome benefit and you don't even need to kill another Champion to earn it.

In the last week or so (and I haven't been terribly active), I carried out a death-defying mission to execute the traitorous sand criminal Dr. Ryac Dios-Greyjoy for an outstanding bounty while under heavy-cannon fire a single room from the Shuk, and Ichimoru and I infiltrated enemy territory to off the monolith-unworthy Ithaquan scourge Larkin Snowdrifter (though wtc is up with blocking drunk dwarf guards!). It isn't too hard to find your small-scale glorious story without stepping over the "now you are just being a tool" line (which we all have walked from time to time).
    “We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • The arena is not an encouraging enough system to create organic and frequent 1v1. It does not emulate real PvP situations like getting jumped, having a unique environment, etc. The queue system for arenas is manipulated by people who think freezetag and deathball are funny to spitefully start. The arena is also prone to bursts of TeamFFA waves. Invading cities to scrounge for PK should be the last resort I go to, not the first and only resort that ends up making people miserable who want nothing to do with the stuff. While I personally don't care about their well being or enjoyment, most people in my position actually do.

The reward for arenas is the favour. Regretfully, that favour is easily revokable the moment you need to go away and somebody games it.

<div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • The prompt option for Devotion right now is irritating. 

It tracks your devotion based off of percentage of your current maximum devotion, rather than as a percentage of 2000.

Force takes me 100 devotion, so when I have no active rites I go from 100% to 95% on my prompt. When I do have active rites, I go from 1720 to 1620, and so I go from 100% to 94%. 

This isn't much here, but when you are using more expensive abilities and your amount of active rites can vary over the course of a fight, this makes it harder to know exactly how much devotion you've got on hand. When it says I have 50% devotion, does it mean I have 1000 devotion for abilities? 860? 800?

If you could make the prompt either show your devotion as a percentage of 2000 or just show the raw devotion points, that would be appreciated.

• H:550/550 M:429/430 B:0 <eb> <db> D:100 F:0 sc
    You cannot do that while you are jousting.
    H:550/550 M:429/430 B:0 <eb> <db> D:100 F:0 sc

Can we remove that so I can use channels and stuff while jousting?

• I actually agree with @Bellentine about Mage. I've played Imperian since the beginning and Mage was my favourite class until the changes. In a lot of ways, I'm not a very good player - I'm useless at coding and systems, I'm not good at combat, I find hunting fairly boring, however with the old Mage stuff, I feel I had at least some handle on what I was doing. Now I just look at it and have absolutely no clue. It's too different and feels too complex for me to want to learn. It seems to require a better understanding of how to put together a system and tracking than I feel capable of. I think I've used it maybe three times since the change, once at an attempt to understand it, and the other two to use crystalbinding to make sigils. That's essentially what my favourite class has now been reduced to for me - making sigils. It's disappointing because I know Garryn (and possibly others) put a lot of work into revamping the class, and I don't want to be unappreciative of their efforts, but yeah, it is what it is.
    ** Yes, we're aware of the problems. Please do NOT use any HELP files at the moment.**.
    ** And don't try them now just see if they're really broken. **.
    ** Or credit conversion. Try not to do anything much right now. **.
    ** Don't panic, normal service will be restored as soon as possible. For now, enjoy the wonders of conversation. **.
    *** We will be rebooting in about 60 seconds ***.
    ** Don't panic. Just...stay close to your rosaries **.
    ** Monetary offers for Salvation accepted. **.
  • Pester Risca or Eldreth.  I'm sure they could work up a couple of basic "Ez mage intro" things for a chelp or ghelp that you could use for the city.  

There's a huge burden of knowledge requirement for combat, even in the world of G-bot.   Sadly, the only way that is overcome is via player education by other other players.  But you've got some really decent resources in those two for that sort of thing.  Hell, they should be able to provide you the info needed for an "EZ 2 BUTTON GUIDE TO MAGICK TEAMFIGHTZ" that works for all the professions in the circle.