Skip to content

Improving Imperian

Comments

• Eoghan said:
    This is possible, but having just talked to the folks up here about it we generally agree that we like the flavor of those messages. Most aren't too long, and with most wrapwidths they should be fine. Is this something that you really feel is needed?
    It's not a big deal; I thought it would make things simpler to read. I'll sub them on my end instead. Also, Belial's message doesn't include his title.
  • Eoghan said:
    This is possible, but having just talked to the folks up here about it we generally agree that we like the flavor of those messages. Most aren't too long, and with most wrapwidths they should be fine. Is this something that you really feel is needed?
    Skill messages should have flavour.  Cooldown messages should not. 

You have recovered equilibrium is fine. 
    You have recovered equillibrium from focusing your mental energies in an attempt to radiance X  is very unnecessary.

Cooldown messages are for conveying information not flavour.
  • edited August 2014
    Selthis said:
    Eoghan said:

You have recovered equillibrium from focusing your mental energies in an attempt to radiance X  is very unnecessary.

I'm convinced. I'll make this change.
    E: Change made.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • IniarIniar Australia
    With the demon lord names, it's a pain to write the conversion into variables, but once it's done, it's done. I'd keep them as is, looks cooler for the new players.
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Iniar said:
    With the demon lord names, it's a pain to write the conversion into variables, but once it's done, it's done. I'd keep them as is, looks cooler for the new players.
    DENIED!
  • edited August 2014
    I just found out that an update about Imperian email went out a day or two ago.  Which is odd, because I'm subscribed so I should get the emails, but I didn't.  Huh.  So I asked a friend and they said their email showed up in their spam filter. "Huh, that's odd I think. I wonder why?" So I dig into my spam folder  and huh, there it is.  I uncheck that it is spam and look at it in my inbox. 

This is what I see:

Some things I noticed: 

1. It ended up in the spam folder
    2. It is just a list of URLs
    3. No real info other than URLs

I would have never know about the email if someone hadn't mentioned it. Having something like this end up in Spam really kills the exposure you get.  I have no clue how many people use non-gmail addresses and how many people use gmail or route through gmail for non-gmail addresses.  Anyway, I fall into the routing through gmail, so I assume it is a fairly common set of heuristics/filters that it falls under. The lots of URLs, very little actual body is a pretty common spam flag in my experience. 

On top of that, if I wasn't actively playing the game I'm not gonna lie an email with 18 distinct links does not make me want to click on it.  Expecially since its just a single line of text explaining each series. Write a paragraph so I can figure out what's happening at a glance.  Throw some flavour into it.  

Gordul took out the Scourge, Nagmara, Erorag, and Schrov'ik. 
    URL List here

compared to

A prisoner escaped from the Eastern Horde that has vowed revenge and offered to share his knowledge appeared.  Working with citizens from all cities the horde populations of the Scourge Outpost, Nagmara Slave Pens, the  Schrov'ik training camp and the fortress Erorag have been decimated.  Using a special formula and a series of bombs, the effect upon those place was immediate and drastic. Is Gordul's need for revenge sated, or does he have plans to destroy the areas left untouched thus far? 

To find out more information visit: 

Now take that and and apply it to all the sections.  Link to to the announce section on the iron realms website in general, but point out specific posts numbers. 

Classlead changes with major changes to  Necromancy and Devotion and Mages plus some general fixes to every class occur. Take a look here:
    Relevant posts are xxx-yyy!

I'm obviously no expert, I don't know how all this works on your end.   But I do know my threshold for checking stuff out is as a player.  I can safely say it is not 5 URLs after a single sentence that will trigger my 'give a crap' gland. Especially when it happens several times in the same email. 

I'd love to see more players back to Imperian. But for that to happen, it needs to end up so the people who are signed up for the newsletter actually get the newsletter and read through the information because it piques their interest. 

• The general guideline with these kinds of e-mails is something like: less than 1,000 words, paragraphs, three to four links, two images (where possible because it breaks up the monotony) and a nice header. You want it to be engaging. The e-mail I got was just a smattering of links, and maybe 75 words? I'd definitely recommend doing some more research on how these e-mails are thrown together. 
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited August 2014
    Eoghan said:
    Selthis said:
    Eoghan said:

I'm convinced. I'll make this change.
    E: Change made.
    I don't get it.

Before the change:
    2 triggers, 7 lines of code

Now:
    1 trigger, 2-5 lines of code

I went from 9 lines of code to 6 (to as low as 2), and for a pretty big trade off for style. I disagree. It's probably easier to buy artifacts than to add cool into in-game things, you know.

I know it is well intentioned, but every bit of cool factor that you remove from my class is going to disincline a new player to staying. For example, how cool is this:
    (2 triggers, 7 lines of code)
    - You are again able to unleash Jy'Barrak Golgotha, Demon Lord's fury on your cowardly enemies.
    - You are again able to unleash Belial's treachery on your insipid foes.

or

(2 triggers, 7 lines of code)
    You are again able to unleash the fury of Jy'Barrak Golgotha, Demon Lord.
    You are again able to unleash the lies of Cadmus, the cursed shaman.
    You are again able to unleash the judgement of Belial.

Like.. you can't buy that.
  • The biggest problem that new people have with this game is handling the coding aspects of it; the most common complaints that we see are complaints about the coding requirements.

Cooldown messages and similiar such things should be designed in such a way as to maximize their effectiveness at conveying information while minimizing the amount of coding required to handle them.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• The tradeoff between ease of use and preservation of flavor is something we have to constantly walk. In this case, I agree with Khizan and Selthis - things like cooldown messages should be easy to handle (especially for new players), with limited complexity. There are other places we can still put flavor, and summoner messages are full of it.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • If you want the feedback you receive to be "cooler", as a coder, you can always sub it.

Confession: all my crit messages used to be subbed to give me fancy descriptions of weapon-specific combat maneuvers until it became too spammy to bear. 

• IniarIniar Australia
    Mkay
  • If you feel something needs more flavor, this is a good place to suggest it. You can also file an idea, and we can approach it there. I'm all about keeping flavor in the game and making the story more compelling - that's something we've all been pushing really hard lately. You should see us scrambling to implement @Svorai's crazy ideas on short notice.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Can we please have a dummy to test against? I'm struggling to get Tarot Summoner to work, and sticking stupidity/paralysis on myself doesn't help assess my attack.

I can't work on my tracking too. :(
  • Iniar said:

Can we please have a dummy to test against? I'm struggling to get Tarot Summoner to work, and sticking stupidity/paralysis on myself doesn't help assess my attack.

This is something that comes up a lot, but if we are going to do it, we want to do it right. It is something that a coder might be interested in but it will take time, which they are currently working on a project. I am not saying this WILL happen, just that it might.
  • Iniar said:

Hit me up IG. I got lots of dreamy time to sit around and ringecho affs/damage.
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited August 2014
    @Eoghan @Svorai #flavourisgood When someone captures (not capturing) can we please have a circle+aspect 'taunt' for the rest of the world?

AM: A rousing fervour passes over the land as Khizan lays claim to a monolith of Life.

M: Arcs of lightning light up the skies as Eldreth imbues a monolith of Change with his essence.

D: The suns flicker as Wysrias covers a monolith of Terror with his enemies' blood.

Something like that?
  • VerexaVerexa Canada
    edited August 2014
    E: Just found a solution that mitigates my complaint.
  • Can Predator's ATTACK command use the right actions from the gyanis stance? It should be lateral/lateral/vertical instead of lateral/vertical/lateral. I assume it's a lateral at the end, the action is in the wrong stance to work correctly.
  • Shou said:
    Can Predator's ATTACK command use the right actions from the gyanis stance? It should be lateral/lateral/vertical instead of lateral/vertical/lateral. I assume it's a lateral at the end, the action is in the wrong stance to work correctly.
    This is now fixed. In the future, filing a bug report for something like this would be faster, since the other coders don't always read the forums as obsessively and I sometimes sleep.
  • Iniar said:
    @Eoghan @Svorai #flavourisgood When someone captures (not capturing) can we please have a circle+aspect 'taunt' for the rest of the world? AM: A rousing fervour passes over the land as Khizan lays claim to a monolith of Life. M: Arcs of lightning light up the skies as Eldreth imbues a monolith of Change with his essence. D: The suns flicker as Wysrias covers a monolith of Terror with his enemies' blood. Something like that?
    So are you just wanting a game message when someone captures, and it be a basic "Life got this one" but with spunk?
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Yeah, you know, get people riled up a bit. :s Maybe "Life AMer got this one" or "Life Magick got this one". 
  • Hrm Hrm Hrm. Let me think for a day or so. You can e-mail any suggestions to Svorai@Imperian.com
  • This may not be the place for this. If it's not, feel free to smack me and move it.
    ---------------------------------------
    The Deathknight Profession

Combat Focus: Speed and afflictions. The deathknight's primary kill method is Vivisection (AB
    NECROMANCY VIVISECT), achieved by having the arms and legs of an opponent simultaneously broken to a
    level 1 (mending cured) break. With targeted and displaced doubleslashes, and intelligent affliction
    delivery, this is the most effective way to kill as a deathknight, although for a beginner it is not
    suggested, as it is a bit involved. Also effective in group combat with damage, with the ability to
    quench a blade temporarily to a specific target's soul, giving a chance to deliver extra damage with
    every swing. In this instance, a higher strength is more important than a faster balance.:
    ------------------------

Man, that's nifty. I wonder what Defiler has for combat focus.

The Defiler Profession

Combat Focus: Not Listed.

Can we get someone knowledgeable to write up a combat focus? So far, all I can puzzle out is be fast, implant thornroot, hit with entropy, hope it explodes and bursts them down.

Also, given that Shadowbinding is primarily a support skill with buffs, and a handful of combat debuffs, would it be possible to allow us to shadowbind others with some of the buffs? Waterwalking, levitation, confutation, regrowth and recuperation come to mind, even if it's only an hour buff on allies.
    Septus says, "Not Ashani!"
  • IniarIniar Australia
    Hey Ashani. Certainly there isn't anyone knowledgeable about Defiler still actively playing - Verexa doesn't count (jk) :p Before someone gets on and yells at you (its just what they do) for suggesting shared defences, and start recounting the history of circle buffs and balancing grievances around it, I'd say no to confutation, regrowth and recuperation (no matter how much I'd love for it to be shareable) :)
  • Changes to a class's buffs, including making them targetable, would be a classlead issue. While levitation is minor from a balancing viewpoint, the other buffs mentioned are surely not.
  • Would it be possible for the "ii <string>" command to also return back a list of things in your inventory where the respective short description also contained a match on the <string>?

For example, if I did "ii ruby", it might return to me the following:
    ruby12345 a ruby
    charm23456 a ruby camel-shaped charm
  • Try II TITLED <whatever>.

• I
    Iniar said:

Hey Ashani. Certainly there isn't anyone knowledgeable about Defiler still actively playing - Verexa doesn't count (jk) :p Before someone gets on and yells at you (its just what they do) for suggesting shared defences, and start recounting the history of circle buffs and balancing grievances around it, I'd say no to confutation, regrowth and recuperation (no matter how much I'd love for it to be shareable) :)

I'd think no for water walking too as that was specifically removed as a Mage shared defense previously.
  • QOL suggestion

Can sketchlist from bard Artistry also show sketches that you have out?

Right now, we have to insert the sketch back into the sketchbook and do sketchlist to see how many more attacks are left. 

At the very least, can probing the sketch show the number of attacks and ink colors?