Skip to content

Trying to figure out clients

Hi.  Just started a couple of days ago with whatever the default client is...  Using Firefox on a Win7 box.

What I'm trying to figure out is, are there differences in the clients?  Are the clients customizable, and if so, how?

What I would like to do is actually have chat-boxes for the various channels so that I don't have to type cnt or newbie or <yournamehere> to talk with people/see chat.  Is this possible or what?

Simple responses of links to the answers to my questions would be fantastic. 

Thanks ever so much

-- Fhionn
(just a simple fae in the woods)

Comments

• AzefelAzefel Singapore
    If you want to be able to do that specifically in the web client, I can't answer it, but you can get CMUD to do exactly what you want.

CMUD isn't free, though (technically). I don't know if other clients can do it, I imagine Mudlet can.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm going to assume you are using the html 5 client.  There is a thread here that the developer posts in that might be able to answer you questions for sure.  http://forums.imperian.com/discussion/35/html5-client-scripting-questions

The rest of these are standalone separate clients that you will need to download and install to  use.

Mudlet can do it, but it is not exactly user friendly if you're not willing to learn Lua and spend a lot of time with it.  As a counterpoint, Mudlet is also super fast and super powerful.  http://www.mudlet.org

Cmud like Azefel mentioned is what a lot of people use.  You can find it at http://www.zuggsoft.com.  Its a strong client.  You can normally find a lot of help for it here.

Mud-master 2000 is an older free client.  Not many people use it besides Khizan  and it has its own funk syntaxes.  I am mostly just linking it here for reference sake. http://www.mud-master.com/
  • Thanks to you both.  I will pursue threads.  :)
  • IniarIniar Australia
    I don't know if Mudlet lets you create more than the main it'll let you fill text programmatically, but not give you more than one command line. Unless you use hardcore Azefel/Lionas style coding. Can CMUD?
    wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Iniar said:
    I don't know if Mudlet lets you create more than the main it'll let you fill text programmatically, but not give you more than one command line. Unless you use hardcore Azefel/Lionas style coding. Can CMUD?
    I have no idea what you're trying to say.
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • Fhionn wanted separated windows that act like chat windows for each channel with a command line for each window so you don't have to type CT, RT, GT, TELL and so on ala IM client.

The most common solution for Mudlet is that you have chat windows that you switch between with tabs, but you type everything as usual with GT, CT and so on, it's just that it logs to these seperated windows. While it would be possible to make some kind of option where if you have these tabs "activated" everything you type goes to them, I don't see an easy solution for it since I don't think it is possible to make more command lines that's use in a separate console window.

CMUD might have that, I can't remember cause it's such a long time I used it. But I'd just go with a logger and be happy with that either way.
  • You can have prompts in each window, and I *believe* you can give each a prefix. I'll check when I get back home
  • Yeah, you could do that in Cmud. You can have seperate command lines and scripts for each window, so you could just Command Input Trigger the seperate windows and have them "#SUB {ct %-1}" if I'm not mistaken. Might even be a way built in to Cmud specifically for that purpose, but if there is, I don't know of it.
  • Dicene said:
    Yeah, you could do that in Cmud. You can have seperate command lines and scripts for each window, so you could just Command Input Trigger the seperate windows and have them "#SUB {ct %-1}" if I'm not mistaken. Might even be a way built in to Cmud specifically for that purpose, but if there is, I don't know of it.
    That is a way to do it. I can't find the thing I was thinking of (which was a built-in thing) so I may have imagined it existing.

The only problem with using %-1 is that it balks on parens, but otherwise an input trigger would be perfect.
  • Having looked at various forums (and downloaded and installed Mudlet), I am fascinated by Lionas' comment and Dicene's comment, since they seem to be exactly what I am looking for.  The only problem is that while I understand programming in general (FORTRAN, and a little bit of C and perl), scripting seems to have a language all its own that I am not familiar with.  So many things seem to be automagic. I appreciate the flood of information.

I have downloaded YATCO-2.3 and will try it out tonight, and I'll work on trying to do a few aliases.  Once I have done some digesting, I will come back here.
  • If you mean writing scripts in general, it's really no different than coding anything else. If you mean all of the snazzy functions and the like you run into, just think of them as part of a library.
  • Selthis said:
    Mud-master 2000 is an older free client.  Not many people use it besides Khizan  and it has its own funk syntaxes.  I am mostly just linking it here for reference sake. http://www.mud-master.com/
    If you want a free client, that you can run from even a pendrive if so you choose, you could try MudMaster, but get it from http://mm2k6.sourceforge.net/mm2k6/, which is a remake of the old one, with some additional functionality (like the pendrive thing)

Sorry for the necromancy.