Skip to content

What made you stay?

What made you say, this (Imperian) is cool, I'm going to hang around for a little while? (Many years for some of you :p) For me it was Dagnimaer walking around with tentacles flying everywhere and a train of demons after him.
wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure

Comments

• edited June 2013
    I would have to say a lack of motivation to apply myself in the real world, coupled with a need to beat up newbies to feel good about myself. I suppose I also enjoy reading.

‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • AzefelAzefel Singapore
    gave me a reason to code random shit and watch it work :(
  • Probably more out of habit than anything else. Shardfalls are also a nice draw, I can sit at home doing work/playing xbox and just pay enough attention to join in.
  • I think the moments that made the strongest impression on me were back when I was a novice in the arboreals on my first char in 2004:

- not being able to tell whether Erin was some magically intelligent NPC or a player, then finding out she was a player and the GM quarterstaff was a custom 'artifact'. 

- playing hide-and-seek with Janea across the Khandava forest back before I had heard of whyte's mapper. I felt so proud when I was able to walk all the way from Khandava to Caanae and Kinsarmar by memory without help from a map.

- being in a nervous sweat over my GR2 interview with Amaterasu, with half a dozen text editor windows open on my computer with notes on curing and page summaries of Zangrilla Sylvia's journal. I know most people hated advancement like this, but it was one of the best RP experiences I've had in Imperian to this day.

- being grove summoned as a novice out of Khandava and into a Stavenn gank squad in the Modin Valley by a rogue druid, and thinking how awesome it would be that I would one day have those skills too.

When I think of my own personal 'golden age' in Imperian it was back then... The world seemed bigger back when there was no map, and few reasons to speedwalk from one side to the other.
  • MenochMenoch Raleigh, NC, USA
    edited June 2013
    Similar to Kalon's tale, but with Ravven. I had no clue whatsoever for the first 20 mins of my first time logging into Imperian that she was a player and not just like Niccolo who was right there with us. Then I realized that there was no way any AI could be so seamless and I was like holy hell, this place is going to be awesome. Cue footage of me playing a week later and taking up Matty's dare to lick Dregaur at the Gates... and there's the second reason I couldn't leave/keep coming back...

tl;dr - Good RP and message for vivisect.
  • The constant conflict. I remember being a rogue Lorekeeper in Stavenn's employ, helping them oppress Antioch and fighting the Justice League. Somewhere through it all, I realised I couldn't get that kind of experience anywhere else.

Where did that experience go..? :(
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • My first Cassiopeia. I was still using the Nexus and Sibyl asked to speak with me and I had to figure out how to walk all the way the temple from Khandava (I kept directions in a txt file and had a general idea of which ways I needed to go). And then having a discussion and those little interactions and I was just amazed and drawn in. That's another reason why Cassiopeia is still so important to me, to this day, as a player and not just a character.

I also remember when I first started playing and taking the time to read every room description and creating this massive, beautiful (and sometimes beautifully ugly) world in my mind. I came from a forum/thread-based roleplaying background and the instantaneous feedback and response was so new and wonderful with its immersion. I remember being so terrified of certain people and thinking how exciting it was. Like the time I passed Silken (the irony!) in the Heartlands and ran as fast as I could back to Khandava because I was sure she would kill me.

And why do I keep coming back now? Curiosity, mostly, and time to kill. I love the mindless monotony of being an Aspect with artifacts bashing away. The people who I've played with over the years are awesome, too.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Being able to multitask this and xbox.
  • As @Azefel says, gives me an outlet to program.

Also, it's one of the few areas I have in my life where there are straight-forward goals and making progress is easy. Console RPG's are good for giving you very clear goals and rewards, but they're so short in comparison to something like Imperian where your progress takes so long. The progress taking longer leads to a much stronger feeling of accomplishment when you reach goals.

Another thing. Unlike reality, there's a pretty strong correlation in Imperian between how hard you work on something and the rewards you reap from that work.

Lastly, when I first started playing Imperian when I was in early high school, a big part of getting into it was to make up for a lacking social life, but I become rather outgoing over the course of high school, so that's not really what keeps me around anymore.
  • Olanre said:
    You lift your leg, thrusting it at Jeremy.
    You connect!

This makes me happy and so I stay. It's the little things.
    Whatever, liar.

We all know that you quit and got hungry. Fatty.
  • Ahkan said:
    Olanre said:
    You lift your leg, thrusting it at Jeremy.
    You connect!

This makes me happy and so I stay. It's the little things.
    Whatever, liar.

We all know that you quit and got hungry. Fatty.
    This is what I do when @Olanre isn't here.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
  • I started to play in High School, College, Army, Deployments and Kids later I still have this weird urge to log on. While military duties kept me away and I was very on offish, I am always amazed at how many things have changed by the time I come. What keeps me coming back is that, it is an epic world that we have help form as players. I can remember when I first started to play, I was so lost, trying to figure out the healing system, connecting via telnet at school and trying to explore and play this massive world. 

So I suppose that what kept me here is that Imperian is Imperian, despite all it's imperfections, it was my first MUD, even though I play almost only MUSHes now, Imperian holds a special place in my heart. 

Oh and the fact that, I have spent to much damn cash on Tadhg just to walk away from him. I am up to what, over 10 years of handing my money over... -_-
    All reality shudders as the voice of Jeremy thunders across the land, "It was Tadhg."
    All reality shudders as the voice of Jeremy thunders across the land, "I hate that guy."
  • IniarIniar Australia
    edited June 2013
    Tadhg said:
    ... it was my first MUD, even though I play almost only MUSHes now, Imperian holds a special place in my heart. 

I first played a browser based game called (now defunct) Vagabond's Quest for about 2-3 weeks (back when I was a wee kid), then saw an advert for Impy. Came over and fell in love with struggling to find my way to Kinsy and Caanae and Stavenn and back. For the longest time, Antioch was just "some place to the west" where "people kill me". :)

Also the first (and only) text game I've spent money in. :x

wit beyond measure is a Sidhe's greatest treasure
  • Was looking for inspiration writing my first novel (never published despite three attempts!) and I found imperian! The thing that kept me around was easily valarouko and Adonis helping me build a system right before predators were introduced and all the fun we had during the pred sab war. The 45 minute fights with zenigra at the end of free for alls after arena rankings came out (only won once) and the steady and amazing work since from our builders
  • Dunno what made me stay, but I sure know what made me quit!

• Hi, I think this is a good place as any to post this.

I had just started and saw about the defiler class and thought the concept sounded neat. I have to admit I was let down by shadowbiding :(. I really pictured it much...differently. More shadows and dark rituals/powers and such. Anyway im still seeing if i'll become a frequent player. I admit I did enjoy the introduction sequence. Very well worded and friendly.
  • Hi, I think this is a good place as any to post this.

I had just started and saw about the defiler class and thought the concept sounded neat. I have to admit I was let down by shadowbiding :(. I really pictured it much...differently. More shadows and dark rituals/powers and such. Anyway im still seeing if i'll become a frequent player. I admit I did enjoy the introduction sequence. Very well worded and friendly.
    I don't think I'm a traitor to the cause to say that Defiler is among our least-impressive classes right now. I won't get into the reasons why that happened, as I'm sure everyone has their opinions on it [which aren't to be shared here], but I hope you'll also take some time to explore Imperian's other classes. There's a wealth of roleplay and interesting mechanics to play with.

We're really happy to have you here. :)
  • Eusto said:
    Hi, I think this is a good place as any to post this.

I don't think I'm a traitor to the cause to say that Defiler is among our least-impressive classes right now. I won't get into the reasons why that happened, as I'm sure everyone has their opinions on it [which aren't to be shared here], but I hope you'll also take some time to explore Imperian's other classes. There's a wealth of roleplay and interesting mechanics to play with.

Not to go against what Eusto said (because balance complaints don't belong here), but if you stick around and get involved in the combat scene thoroughly, you have the opportunity to make an actual difference in the architecture of your class via the classlead system - and people capable of thinking outside the box are always welcome in that avenue!
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • edited July 2013
    Sarrius said:
    Eusto said:
    Hi, I think this is a good place as any to post this.

Not to go against what Eusto said (because balance complaints don't belong here), but if you stick around and get involved in the combat scene thoroughly, you have the opportunity to make an actual difference in the architecture of your class via the classlead system - and people capable of thinking outside the box are always welcome in that avenue!
    Oh, no I didnt mean in combat and effectiveness, just that on the outside and from what I read in the AB SHADOWBINDING, it just didnt seem all that, well, interesting. I pictured dark powers and calling upon shadows for sinister tasks and such things. Im still considering going with it though, either that or Predator, both have some appeal ^^

• Noala said:
    Oh, no I didnt mean in combat and effectiveness, just that on the outside and from what I read in the AB SHADOWBINDING, it just didnt seem all that, well, interesting. I pictured dark powers and calling upon shadows for sinister tasks and such things. Im still considering going with it though, either that or Predator, both have some appeal ^^
    Predator will make you want to stick around. It is, imo, one of the most enjoyable classes to play. It isn't best mechanics-wise. The combat can be hard, and as far as sneakiness goes they're like cats with tape on their paws, but the roleplay and flavor of the class is wonderful. (And you CAN be sneaky if you try really hard.)
  • Fun (if not always perfect) 1v1 mechanics, old school Saboteurs, spying on people, mudsex, sometimes combining the last two.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Kabaal said:
    Fun (if not always perfect) 1v1 mechanics, old school Saboteurs, spying on people, mudsex, sometimes combining the last two.

Perv masta right har.
  • More people stayed because of mudsex than will readily admit it.