Skip to content

New to scripting where to start?

I am looking into getting better at scripting for Imperian, but i am looking for some opinions on where to start. Should i stick to the HTML or should i try a different client like CMUD. i dont know any java so its been hard for me to find information that i can relate to scripting for imperian from looking for information on the internet. Where do you guys think is a good place to start?

Comments

• AzefelAzefel Singapore
    edited June 2013
    I have no experience with the HTML client, though I think it's almost as good as like, zmud.

CMud is very user friendly, and still allows you to make complex things from very basic commands/functions.

And anyone who has ever bought CMud can get unlimited keys sooooooooo, it's effectively free if you make friends.

• Azefel said:
    And anyone who has ever bought CMud can get unlimited keys sooooooooo, it's effectively free if you make friends

Sharing it violates your license. If you don't care, you can get any number of keys and have copies for your friends.
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created 
  • interesting. i have been thinking about getting into CMUD and if its a bit more user friendly to to make more complex things i think thats probably the better option
  • Dunno about anyone else, but I have tons of issues with Cmud. There's lots of situations where it freezes, or the scripting window stops responding, or the composer crashes it entirely, etc.

Inb4"Fix your system" - I have about thirty simple triggers in it and half that many equally simple aliases

So before laying money on Cmud, you might want to try Mudlet
  • Get mudlet. Mudlet is extremely easy to use and Lua is very easy to learn.
  • mudlet's pretty great and like the person before me said, lua's just like c except easier.
  • they have a guide to start doing anything you want on a website that links from the actual program.
  • The documentation for zscript (the language used by default in z/cmud) is very good as well, and there are a lot of people who can help you out with it. CMUD also supports lua scripting, if you prefer to use that.

Personally, I can't stand mudlet (for a variety of reasons, but mostly because the ui is terrible), but ymmv.
    I am the righteous one... 
    the claims are stated - it's the world I've created