Skip to content

Rebuilding Caanae

edited October 2012 in New Ideas
You know what would probably make a really kick-ass event? Rebuilding and resettling Caanae. Considering the city's smack dab in the middle of Aetherius, and is already a bustling commercial center, rebuilding it and turning it into a sort of neutral market city, like Delos, would be awesome. The orgs could compete/work together to get materials for the effort, try and plant government officials, defend it against Horde/Undead attacks, and so on.

It's a silly idea, I know, but I think it'd be cool.

Comments

• This has absolutely never been posted in all of the almost 10 years of Imperian, you are so novel.
  • Ya cause setting up a government that can basically stop people from using the Springs or Seki's statue is a fantastic idea! It's already a bustling market central with 100 market stalls (Even has a directory) It fell for a reason! Won't rise again. Or shouldn't imo.
  • I will only come back to the game if Juran starts building a city in the bottom of Kryx'lyre out of artifact houses.

The only help he is allowed to enlist is Selthis because of his Smaug-like credit and token horde.
  • Selthis will never relinquish his credits/tokens. He's like a dirty dragon who steals from you and just sits on all the treasures. No real use for any of it, he just likes how shiny it all is! 
  • I am not against rebuilding Caanae, if that is what players really want to move toward. However, we already have too many cities/council and would have to destroy a couple first. There is also the problem of deciding how that city would fit into the circle theme. Keep in mind this is not even on my radar, so do not thing because I posted here that Caanae will be rebuilt anytime soon.

• I think if Caanae was, for some reason, rebuilt it could be a central hub. Kind of accepts all walks of life. More like a home for the rogues. But then you'll have an over-powered city. It will have Monks, Noctusari, etc which can just be bad all around. And the city itself would have to not be able to place siege on the spring/seki's fountain. There is a lot of "pros" but I see more "cons", but that's just me. 
  • Yeah, I am not a fan of a cross circle city. I like it when players hate each other.

• Ya me too. That's the main reason I think Caanae should never be rebuilt. Unless it's part of a "War system" and can be conquered by a circle. So that the leadership and alignment can change depending. That's the only other way I can see it working. But I would also suggest to turning each Circle to 1 city getting rid of councils and have them fight it out for Caanae.  
  • I wouldn't mind each circle being reduced to one organisation, but there would have to be a major discussion on which organisations get thrown to wolves. Outsider looking in, magic would go to Kinsarmar. Demonic would undoubtedly go to Stavenn, even though Lionas will fight tooth and nail to keep Khandava, and rightfully so, since his character is so heavily invested there. Antioch and Ithaqua is where the real debate would be. I personally feel like Ithaqua has the cooler roleplay, but that's probably in large part due to the fact that my character hasn't really been that religious except right before the event. Go figure, Del finds religion finally and all the Gods die :(

• edited October 2012
    Actually, that's probably a better idea than mine. Caanae being a conquerable non-player org would actually be a pretty fantastic idea and would promote a lot of conflict, especially since the circle in control of Caanae would have access to the Springs and the creeper bashing area. It'd also put our new fancy military system to some good use!

• Delrayne said:
    Go figure, Del finds religion finally and all the Gods die :(

YOU HEARD THE MAN.

DEMONIC KILLED THE GODS. IT WAS THEM!

WE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• @Abigail Well I would say no to placing the springs within "City" limits. Perhaps the majority of Caanae can be rebuilt into a city, but still allow for the spring to be used by all, and the statue. I would even go as far as keeping a mutual library for those who do not belong. You don't want to hurt newbies, since Caanae is where they start, and you wouldn't want them waking up right in the middle of an on-going war. It would need to be "rebuilt' but expanded at the same time.
  • Or we could stop flogging this dead horse.

• I think the neutral centre point works just fine, all things considered. Caanae, if rebuilt in to a city would really **** me off because I would end up enemied and I don't want to reconfigure my mapper to avoid it. =[
  • Well, another option is to allow people to donate gold and comms, and it will slowly be rebuilt, but not as a player city. Just rebuild the ruins and make it a mob town.

• A questing hub? That would be kind of neat.
  • Yeah, a mob town with many quests sounds pretty awesome to me too.

• I wouldn't mind seeing Antioch get taken over by the Undead, hint hint.
  • I absolutely hated Delos, and this sounds exactly like Delos.

• I'm not a fan of it. A neutral quest hub totally doesn't fit Imperian's setting. Delos was bad enough in Achaea, where you had the nominally neutral sides like Hashan. Everybody in Imperian has a faction, though. The idea of Happy Neutral Center Town just does not fit.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited October 2012
    While I would like to see more quests in the game, Caanae the City of FenceSitting would not be an addition to the game.
  • Especially now that we finally got the master shrines out of the area.
  • edited October 2012
    Not sure what all the fuss is about with having a neutral, non-circle based city in Caanae. We'd like to scream that this game is supposed to be conflict-driven, but reality is demoners buy from anti-magick shops and magickers buy from demoner shops in Caanae. Except for very very few RP-fanatics out there, I seriously doubt anyone checks who owns a shop in Caanae and says oh noes, this is owned by [insert opposing circle name] and finds a store in his own circle.

As it stands, we have magicker shops down the road from demoner shops across the street from anti-magick shops. So we already have shop owners from all circles sharing the same space. With the invention of Creator token homes, you could also conceivably have people living in Caanae, too. Might as well find a way to expand on those ideas and make it official.
    With a steady hand, Aosoth batters you with an orb sigil.
    You say, "Ow."
    You say to Aosoth, "Bitch."
    Aosoth blinks.
    You exclaim, "That hurt!"
    Lord Aosoth, of the Thirst says to Caelya, "I bring out the best in people."
  • Except for very very few RP-fanatics out there, I seriously doubt anyone checks who owns a shop in Caanae and says oh noes, this is owned by [insert opposing circle name] and finds a store in his own circle. 

I do this all the time.

And since I'm not a RP-fanatic like Shukron, I would think more people do it, too.

Someone powerful says, "Its broken. No more pulling the guillotine."
  • I just look to make sure I'm not giving money to somebody I hate.

• Khizan said:

I just look to make sure I'm not giving money to somebody I hate.

So basically every shop but Kari's? :P

• I really only ever go to the Caanae shops to find clothing/furniture/jewelry/etc that doesn't exist in Kinsarmar or Celidon. For curatives and other actually important stuff, I just shop Kinsarmar.
  • Delrayne said:
    Khizan said:

I just look to make sure I'm not giving money to somebody I hate.

So basically every shop but Kari's? :P
    Psh. He loves me. Just won't admit it!
  • @Kari I was saying he only shops at your shop.