Skip to content

God Memorial

Several people have emailed and messaged me about a god memorial with things like statues, etc. What would you as players like to do with that?

Comments

• Leave it to the players, probably. If Kinsarmar wants to have a huge memorial to Janus built in his old temple, let 'em do it - seems to me the planning and motivation should come from his old followers. Same for all the other gods. If nobody is around to make one for a god because they had no followers... well, that's all the memorial they need.
  • maybe they could even do a room or place that could be dedicated as a central memorial temple or something? a room for a God, or sets of Gods, and players place the things they have made for their memorial

•  Agree with @Alarick.

If players want a memorial to their dead Gods, there's Masonry and a city development system.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• edited October 2012
    I already know what I'm doing to 'tribute' Nemesis, and it's small, personal, and out of the way of the world. (Falser ilubb, finish up those crafting changes so I can abuse a longer appearance to make this <3)
     I don't especially see a need to make some place for it - especially since there are already those statues of the gods in the Sienna, if I'm remembering right. I think it would better to let players come up with their things and set them where ever - be it in an official city memorial or just in special places to the players

Edit - What the crap you fast typing bastards :<

• I personally would like to see an area developed and each room or a few rooms dedicated soley to a specific God or Godess. Maybe turn it into a quest with a qhonors line Something along the lines of "So and so repaired/brought back the divine something or another and restored honor to the temple of Divine." Each room would be designed and tailored specifically to one of the Divine. Like all of Lianthe's rooms would be water rooms, etc..

Sure players can build statues and the likes, but these Gods were a part of Aetherius for the better part of a decade. Some remembrance of them outside of player interaction needs to exist.

• A temple at Aryana's Spring would be fitting. It's a nice neutral place to put all the Gods/Goddesses. The Creator's fountain of life in front of the Divine temple.

And can the statues be made like Seki's was crafted with everyone being able to put a few personal words on each for a short time?
    With a steady hand, Aosoth batters you with an orb sigil.
    You say, "Ow."
    You say to Aosoth, "Bitch."
    Aosoth blinks.
    You exclaim, "That hurt!"
    Lord Aosoth, of the Thirst says to Caelya, "I bring out the best in people."
  • @Lemuela I'm not for the statues being anything like Seki's. Since Seki touched people for over 9 years on a personal level, and it's due to her player passing away, not her character. If you want something where everyone can say something then those who still wish to honor their personal god can do a personal memorial. Log it, and place it in the library or something.
  • edited October 2012

I think any kind of Grand Temple somewhere would look generally cheap, especially in Caanae. Welcome to the McTemple, where you can light a fire for Baar, leave the room and turn left, and sacrifice a rat to Thanatos! Bleh, I say. Bleh.

Honestly, if I were going to do a God Memorial as an admin, this is what I'd do. I'd make it a contest and have players submit monuments and a non-city location where it would be, maybe with a single new room to be attached to an existing one.  Maybe with prizes, maybe with just the prize of "You get your monument in the game!", but definitely with the caveat that "If all the entries for any given god are crap, we're not going to put any of them in. Maybe we'll have a builder build one."

This gets players involved in the memorial. It avoid the idea of a generic McTemple Memorial filled with opposed gods. It adds flavor to the world, and it means that there's at least more to paying your respects than going down to the McTemple. And I just like the idea of Calix getting a memorial on some remote cliff somewhere, while Anathema has a remote crumbling one in a swamp somewhere, and Vahin's is a statue standing his eternal guard over the tunnel to Ithaqua, etc, etc.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• You could just erase Al'drym woods and put the temple there.

• If there will even be a temple I definitely don't think it should be Caanae, and nothing like Seki's statue. For obvious reasons stated above. But there definitely should be something somewhere. I also really like the idea of joining a quest in with it, because well I just don't think there are enough quests. Not that I'm a huge quester, that's just my own opinion.

Having a temple somewhere for the Divine won't keep people from honouring them in their own ways with statues and the likes, even ones on cliffs @Khizan. But leaving it solely up to the players to honour them, excludes the RP opportunities to not only teach the young characters but to also show them how much of an impact they had on the land. A temple would serve this perfectly. You could even have mobs that tends to each God/Godesses sanctum that you could talk to and they would tell you about the God they tend to. I'm for anything that enriches the land with tales and lore, and this will definitely do that. I wouldn't even be opposed to having something for the demon gods as well, since they practically changed the world as we know it.

• Gods are personal, as such let it be personal - any collaborative giant memorial is definitely unwelcome.
  • No offense, but Gods weren't really personal. Sure your involvement with them could be perceived as personal, but the fact remains that they were a huge part of Imperian roleplay and events for years. Nothing about that screams personal to me. And like I said, having a temple somewhere dedicated to them, doesn't detract players from honouring them in their own personal ways, but to shut the door on the idea of it completely locks out many more possibilities to add depth to the story of this game.

• Khizan said:

And I just like the idea of Calix getting a memorial on some remote cliff somewhere, while Anathema has a remote crumbling one in a swamp somewhere, and Vahin's is a statue standing his eternal guard over the tunnel to Ithaqua, etc, etc.

This. I love this idea. Maybe tie in a quest to each statue/shrine that gives future players a taste of what Aetherius lost.

Delrayne said:
    excludes the RP opportunities to not only teach the young characters but to also show them how much of an impact they had on the land. A temple would serve this perfectly. You could even have mobs that tends to each God/Godesses sanctum that you could talk to and they would tell you about the God they tend to. I'm for anything that enriches the land with tales and lore, and this will definitely do that. I wouldn't even be opposed to having something for the demon gods as well, since they practically changed the world as we know it.
    That would fix this, and give an exciting new quest, or well, several if done right. It would be really cool to see an occult formed that worships the Demon Gods and maybe tries to bring them back. I remember Visrya saying somewhere that maybe, just maybe, the Demon Gods were formed from mortal emotion. 
  • To be put bluntly, I don't know why anyone would be openly opposed to this.

1) It doesn't affect your character in any way.
    2) It doesn't change the combative dynamics of this game.
    3) It doesn't change the roleplaying dynamics of this game.
    4) It isn't any different than a new bashing area being dropped in the middle of nowhere.
    5) One through four covers pretty much everything.

Choosing to go against this will only do one thing, Stop an area that can add depth to the story of Imperian from being created. That's it.

• edited October 2012

I don't like the idea of a big communal temple dedicated to gods who were all too often opposed to each other, and I think it just feels cheap. Here's the Temple, memento of the demon invasions!

And as far as RP goes? Make young Crusaders pilgrimage to Vahin's statue and swear their oath to it. Have Wardens seek out Calix's remote memorial and pour Him a beer. Send Trollkin initiates out to Anathema's idol in the swamps to perform an initiation ritual. All of these things seem much more compelling than "Grand McTemple in Caanae."

To put it bluntly, I don't see why anybody would want a big boring Temple when they could have a monument to Aesir standing in a battlefield, or Vahin's memorial guarding the Ithaquan passes, or a shrine to Janus in the lonely Areish, or Calix's lonely raven statue overlooking the western sea, or any number of things that are appropriate and thematic for the God, much more so than a Temple with Thanatos, Eloweth, and Baar all under the same roof.

• I agree with Khizan, if only for the fact that my character would be exceptionally pissed at having something like Nemesis standing next to Baar - when they didn't get along. At all. I'd be all for smaller things in remote areas, however.

(Also, the Trollkin totally patroned Nem, com on now :( )
  • Aleutia said:
    (Also, the Trollkin totally patroned Nem, com on now :( )

I associate Wytches with swamps, and swamps with Anathema. Sorry. :(

• I'd like to see something where the Gods died, for those that's applicable. A change or two to some of the rooms nearby along the lines of the god's area of influence. There's part of me that would like to see big god skeletons or something but I don't think that'd work.
  • Mkvenner said:
    I'd like to see something where the Gods died, for those that's applicable. A change or two to some of the rooms nearby along the lines of the god's area of influence. There's part of me that would like to see big god skeletons or something but I don't think that'd work.
    I'd like Kanna to inter Malkav's body underneath the Tower of Madness. :(
  • I am trying to do something like this in Kinsarmar. To be honest, a new area somewhere out of the way would probably be nice.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • @Khizan

Maybe I misinterpreted your comments thus far, but I thought you were against memorials of any kind. Personally I'm fine with different shrines/statues/whatever spread across in places reminiscent of the God/Goddess. I just thought you were shut out on the idea completely. It doesn't have to be a McTemple, sure I like the idea of it, but that doesn't have to be the case. As far as opposing Gods being honoured at the same place, they all united at the end to fight for the mortals, I'm sure they wouldn't be opposed to being honoured next to one another. But to each their own, I just thought you were against the whole idea of it.

• Not true, though, is it? Malkav and Anathema certainly weren't. It's like playing Elder Scrolls and all of the Daedric Gods or Wayshrines are all in one big building. Half the fun is the adventure!
  • Heh, I'll concede to that point @Justus

• Justus said:
    Not true, though, is it? Malkav and Anathema certainly weren't. It's like playing Elder Scrolls and all of the Daedric Gods or Wayshrines are all in one big building. Half the fun is the adventure!
    That's exactly what I had in mind. Like if you find the Shrine to Thanatos, it sends you to Dis for a quest. You won't be getting a goldbrand (Peryite. Don't know why I made the comparison) but hey, I'd be happy with a little gold. And if you find all the shrines and complete each quest you'll get an honours. Maybe at the end of each quest we could get a flash back and relive each God's last moments. I'm sure there's a lot of people that would appreciate that one.