Skip to content

Having an issue with tables in Mudlet

function checkMobsInRoom()
  local targName = ""
  for k, v in pairs(bashingTable) do
    if table.contains(mobsInRoom, v) and target:title() ~= k:title() and autoBashing() then
      target(k)
      return
    elseif type(bashingTable[k]) == "table" then
    targName = k
    for _, v in pairs(bashingTable[k]) do
      if table.contains(mobsInRoom, v) and target:title() ~= targName:title() and autoBashing() then
      target(targName)
      return
       end
     end
   end
  end
end

function bash()
  if bal() and autoBashing == "true" then
    send("qjab "..target)
  end
end
So I have that. Don't be fooled by "autoBashing", it's just what I call it. I'm a trying to pull from the following table (it is very small, just testing things right now before I start populating the table more with different areas and such) so that if the mob is in the room, it will switch targets to the appropriate alias.

bashingTable = {
  horde = "an orcish grunt", "an orcish mage",
}
Thanks in advance for any and all assistance! This is my very first time working with functions and tables, so I feel super lost and overwhelmed.

Comments

• edited July 2020
    I think bashingTable is being declared wrong, to start with:

bashingTable = { horde = {"an orcish grunt", "an orcish mage", "etc"}}

The horde entry should also be a table, as how you had it written would just set horde to the first string ("an orcish grunt") and ignore anything supplied after it.

As for the loops, I rearranged them a bit based on what you have there.
    -- it doesn't matter what's in the table, this will loop through it
    -- we can sort out table/not table later
      for k, v in pairs(bashingTable) do
        if type(v) == "table" then
        -- is the entry a table? then we want to check if any of the mobs match
        -- if so, use a generic target
          for _, mob in pairs(v) do
            if
              table.contains(mobsInRoom, mob) and target:title() ~= targName:title() and autoBashing()
            then
              target(k)
              return
            end
          end
        else
    -- it's not a table - is this area one of those annoying ones with few generic targets?
    -- check to see if any of the mobs match and target by name(assuming id from gmcp) instead
          if table.contains(mobsInRoom, v) and target:title() ~= targName:title() and autoBashing() then
            target(targName)
            return
           end
        end
      end
    You are not setting targName in what you posted, so that might be part of the issue.

I believe you could also just not the type==table check and use a single loop, though it may require some modification on how you set up the bashingTable.