Skip to content

Updated Aspect powers and meaningful choice

edited June 2019 in New Ideas
Let's talk about aspects!
Ever since aspect perks started to diminish the relevance of monoliths, aspect choice has gotten progressively less and less meaningful. Everyone of note has everything that matters, such that actually holding monoliths has no purpose now beyond slow afk generation of daily credits.
To make the system more engaging and interesting, as well as add some relevance back to Aspect choice, I would like to propose a small but highly impactful change to aspect perks.
I would like to modify the existing capstone (rank 5) powers to be significantly more powerful than they are currently, but gate them behind very long cooldowns that scale depending on attunement. To get the interesting part out of the way first, these are my proposed top level aspect powers:
  • Resurrection: Usable with a long cooldown that scales from 6/3/1 hours (see below). Resurrects a player from dead without the damage taken malus from dying, and without the need for a corpse. This 'soul rez' would destroy the corpse, if it still exists, and be countered if the player died while Inhumed.
  • Warp: Usable with a long cooldown that scales from 6/3/1 hours (see below). Teleports the player to a random room within an area of their choice, excluding player run cities. The syntax WARP <area name> would be prevented by entangles and paralysis, but bypass teleport restricting powers like monolith sigils.
  • Inhume: In this proposal, I would switch absorb and inhume as the addition of Aryana - Resurrection makes this skill even more useful and important. The cooldown would follow the same 6/3/1 hour (see below) system that the other skills do, and in addition to its normal effect would increase the death timer delay to resurrect by 25%.
Mechanically, the cooldown should reduce for having attunement with the aspect type. Permanent aspect perks would be able to use these powers once every six hours. Being the appropriate aspect type should reduce that cooldown to three hours, and holding a monolith of that aspect type should reduce it further to one hour. For balance, I propose the cooldowns be shared - using Resurrection as a terror aspect should place all three powers on the same six hour cooldown.
These powerful skills would be fight changing, and choosing which one fits a playstyle best would be an important choice that would make engaging as an aspect meaningful again. Cities would want access to all three powers, but no one person would have reliable access to all three. Permanent aspect perks would give situational access to the others, but there would be a greater cost to use them.
You grabbed my hand and we fell into it
Like a daydream.. or a fever

Comments

• Personally I'd rather the rework of Aspects, that was planned to be done around the time Imperian went 'free'... But that's probably gonna be too much work now.

Alas.
  • Personally I'd rather the rework of Aspects, that was planned to be done around the time Imperian went 'free'... But that's probably gonna be too much work now.

Alas.
    It's still on the table, but the timeline has shifted to the right, yes.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Soon™
  • Soon™
    Do not mock the trademark.
  • In all seriousness, I am planning on revamping aspects still.  Currently in my mind it's after classleads, but that also depends on what the next big crisis happens to be.