Skip to content

Comma and Hyphen Police or why I hate crafting

2»

Comments

• edited June 2019
    Rhyse said:
    Again they aren't mistakes four poster bed is just as correct as four-poster
    No. It's not. The only places who don't hyphenate it, are furniture stores who aren't exactly the most reputable in the first place, when it comes to correct grammar.
    Four-poster is the only correct one. If you can't wrap your head around that, just call it a canopy bed. They're close to the same thing.

Time to submit a design for a bright red four poster bed.
    eta: Saying you're paid to write doesn't automatically mean you're good at it, nor does it mean your grammar usage is superior. Plenty of garbage writers out there who are paid. Look at all the erotica websites out there. Plenty of journalists, even, who make mistakes constantly in their writing.

• At least it's not as bad as Achaea. Each time you resubmit, you have to pay gold. And they won't send you all your mistakes at once. It's one at a time there. Good luck to everyone that tries to craft over there, thinking the little nitpick things don't matter.
  • Mathiaus said:
    It's an interesting thing to me that we have all these 'rules' on written language that, at its core, is made up.

I wonder how written language will look in another century, and what we'll deem right and wrong.

English is a marvellous language in that it recognises that language is fluid and changeable.

English meaning and grammer is not, will not and never will be an entirely fixed rule base. There is no Académie française for English.

• edited June 2019
    @Altheia, you are missing a comma. 
  • edited June 2019
    In Amurica we have Acadermie FREEDOM

bright-red-four-poster bed, don't leave any AMBIGUITY

• I don't really have a dog in this race. However, in my experience when people break out the 'English is a fluid language' card with regards to grammar, they've lost the argument.
    You grabbed my hand and we fell into it
    Like a daydream.. or a fever
  • Really though, the one thing we should all agree on is that you shouldn't name your javelin Thicc.

• MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania

• Y'all wilding pretty hard on the subject lol. (Yes, I said "y'all" instead of you all, but I could care less. You still COMPREHENDED though.)
  • edited June 2019
    Jalaras said:
    Y'all wilding pretty hard on the subject lol. (Yes, I said "y'all" instead of you all, but I could care less. You still COMPREHENDED though.)
    Couldn't care less...

• He could care less. He could have not cared enough to post.
  • Rokas said:
    He could care less. He could have not cared enough to post.
    Quite true

• Jalaras said:
    Y'all wilding pretty hard on the subject lol. (Yes, I said "y'all" instead of you all, but I could care less. You still COMPREHENDED though.)
    I've spent the last two or three summers in Tennessee. The one thing that stuck, that I use aaaaaallllllllllllll the time, is 'y'all'. I'm a Southern-Northern. If there's such a thing.
  • Y'all of @Myrcella in Khandava
  • edited June 2019
    Myrcella said:
    Jalaras said:
    I've spent the last two or three summers in Tennessee. The one thing that stuck, that I use aaaaaallllllllllllll the time, is 'y'all'. I'm a Southern-Northern. If there's such a thing.

Yep!  Except I'm smack dab in the middle of the country now, so its whatever with me. "You all" "y'all". People will still understand you and as you get your point across in writing and verbal. 
  • edited June 2019
    Because y'all is an actual contraction, with correct punctuation. It's not really an apt comparison to what was already spoken about in this thread. Even when written y'all is just as correct as 'you all' whereas the other examples in the thread aren't.
    Also you can't really compare verbal to written in these situations. You don't pronounce commas or hyphens when talking to people (and if you do you should probably be locked up).
  • Unless you are using it in its singular form.  See all y'all's
  • edited June 2019
    Y comma all
  • @Altheia, where you been? We miss you.
  • Lartus said:
    @Altheia, where you been? We miss you.
    No you don't.

I'm still around, just not as often for as long.
  • Altheia said:
    Y comma all
    Yes, we already know you should be locked up.