Skip to content

Classleads Fall 2018

Comments

• Any updates on classleads @Eoghan
  • Well, it is the Christmas season afterall...
  • Deklan said:
    Well, it is the Christmas season afterall...
    Eoghan is more like the Grinch.
  • I'm going to go with a guess of maybe end of January or April lol
  • Soon™

We should be good to load the first batch soon, and will have more decisions out for you this week (potentially tonight).
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Eoghan said:
    Soon™

We should be good to load the first batch soon, and will have more decisions out for you this week (potentially tonight).
    I'm a prophet.
  • Eoghan said:
    Soon™

Not to look a giftbag in the mouth, but I was letdown when I read announce today.

• Gjarrus said:
    Eoghan said:
    Soon™

Not to look a giftbag in the mouth, but I was letdown when I read announce today.

There's a large number of the decisions that are done, but I'm holding off on saying what they are until they get coded. It's not as exciting, but I'm hoping that it avoids needing to walk back any decisions if it turns out they don't work as expected.  Eoghan said what he did knowing that we were making a number of decisions that night (which we did), he just didn't realize I wasn't putting the outcome online yet.

As to when, that is unfortunately part of the downside of going to our current model. We used to have Jeremy and Eoghan to do a lot of the day-to-day stuff (issues, designs, org requests, approvals, customer service, etc), which left me free to just code. Let's just say that the customer service stuff takes a surprising amount of time every day, which has been significantly limiting the amount of time I have to code things like classleads.  Plus I'm neither paid nor full time, which means I only have a limited amount of time each day, so if customer service needs to be done, I might not have enough time to get to coding anything large.

As to why I did giftbags so quickly, the answer is because (1) it turned out to be pretty easy to do and (2) I think it's more important to have ways to get in-game those things that IRE decides to make available on the website (which I do not have control over).  Classleads are important, but the changes tend to involve a ton of different integrated systems (all written by different people, several of whom are not programmers), which means a lot of walking through many levels of code.  For example, making totems channeled again only required a changes to a few lines of code, but it took more than an hour of walking through the code to figure out where the interrupt needed to be, and what else would be affected.  (See Joke #25: https://interestingengineering.com/25-best-engineering-jokes-make-your-day-better).  An hour doesn't sound like a lot, but that was one of the simple ones. 
  • It’s crazy to me that Dec isn’t paid. This game still has some folks spending money, and you’d think they’d kick back something to the one guy building stuff. 

We appreciate you, Dec!
  • edited January 2019
    Ryse said:
    the one guy building stuff
     :'( 
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • Eoghan said:
    Ryse said:
    the one guy building stuff
     :'( 
    Sorry! I took Dec’s comment to mean they took you off Imperian!

we love all of our unpaid staff!
  • My role is definitely diminished but I'm still around!
  • edited January 2019
    It's why I have no idea why the game was left for people to spend money on. If it isn't going to be properly supported(no offense to Dec or Eoghan) but if that is the case that nobody is going to be paid to work on it and move the game along then why keep the ability to buy credits/have memberships/etc?

Going back to read Jeremy's original post about Imperian changing he says the following:

"Imperian will be looking for someone who would like to drive the story forward. I’ll be focusing more on IRE-wide matters, but I’ll still be here daily to take care of any issues or problems. Dec and Eoghan will continue developing the game world. Oversight of the game story will be overseen by Eoghan and myself. Our new person will be deciding which way to go, making the daily decisions, planning and running events. I will post more about this position in the next couple of days."

-end quote-

I understand he(jeremy) made the decision to not be around "daily" anymore despite saying so, but it does seem to suggest the fact a new person will be coming in on the scene to work on things. Is there a status on this? I tried to look a bit, but I didn't see anything in the thread unless I missed it and would love to be directed to it if possible.

Also one last little thing I noticed in the announcement another quote from jeremy:

"Characters may gain normal credits for the following activities.

• In-game Prizes: Admin will reward for gem hunts, events, arena contests, etc.
    • Credit Auction: The game will periodically sell credits for gold.
    • Credit Market: Will continue as currently designed.
    • Organizations: These will generate credits in some way."
    -end quote-

Credit Auction- Is this still being brought in anytime soon?

Edit:

@Eoghan - is there a reason for your role being diminished? The original post does not hint this, but in fact seems to maintain your role would be continued. I know Jeremy backed off his word. It's like we were sold on mis-information about the future of Imperian. I don't want to come off harsh, as I don't know why your role has been "diminished", so I will wait for the response.
  • I've had a lot going on in my dayjob - it's 100% been my choice to step back a bit. The plan was (and continues to be) for me to remain as an active part of the team, both for continuity of story and continuity of operations. I still check in daily, and respond to messages (usually within an hour, though that has slackened some depending on other responsibilities).

When I say my role has been diminished, the biggest reason is that other people are stepping up to fill in parts of it. Dec has stepped up and taken a larger role in things like design and balance. Ioteth is stepping up to fill roles in the community and in storyline. So with them stepping up, and my dayjob workload increasing lately, I've taken a bit of a step back.
  • I didn't mean to say Eoghan was out of the picture, I was just saying that he wasn't handling those other things regularly anymore.  He will continue to annoy you in the future.

I'm not directly in the know, but I'm pretty sure Imperian would not make near enough money (before or after the change) to support full time staff.  It can seem hard to believe, but think of it this way.  Base pay of $15/hr gets to $31,200/year.   Add on taxes and benefits and you are probably at $41,000 (see here for 1.25-1.4 factor on employer costs).  Even at $0.50/credit you're looking at 82,000 purchased credits.  And all of that has some pretty unrealistic expectations.  People don't buy credits at $0.50/per, and skilled and experience programmers make more than $15.  Can IRE afford to pay me something? I'm sure they could.  Would it be enough to incentivize me to spend more time than I already do on Imperian?  Unlikely.  But on the plus side, they know I'm here for fun and not a job and that gives me less stress and more freedom to play around with things.  For example, the fairy costume exists because I wanted to try to calculate sine waves without being able to use decimal places.  The colorful text just happened to be the only thing remotely useful that came as a result. 

As to the other questions.  Yes, we will have a credit auction at some point.  Not sure on when because I've been focused on making sense of all the new things I do now. 
  • Was there to be any more class lead fixes to come? I know there's new auction items and all, but I'm curious of any new updates that were likely to come through supposedly now that its April?
  • @Jalaras yes. April Fish!
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    I've been learning C++ and have a pretty good grasp on coding in general. I would love to support Imperian with coding. Just a thought, but I'd code for IRE without being paid $15 per hour :)
  • Wait, people get paid for this?
  • Well, beats having no production/progress being attempted for the betterment of the game for those who have not that capability to contribute in that required fashion.
  • someone learning c++ working on imperian, even if imperian did use that, is actually not better than no production/progress. but wasn't there just engineer updates? how is that no production/progress? 
  • Javon said:
    someone learning c++ working on imperian, even if imperian did use that, is actually not better than no production/progress. but wasn't there just engineer updates? how is that no production/progress? 
    Imperian, and all the IRE that I can recall, is done with Rapture. As far as the first part that wildly varies. An experienced data analyst who works primarily in python, picking up C++ and working in it would be fine (or better than fine). A relative novice who's taken like, an intro class or two in C++ with no other languages or experience, probably not. 
  • edited April 2019
    Ryc said:
    Imperian, and all the IRE that I can recall, is done with Rapture.
    Yep. All of the Iron Realms games are written in the proprietary language Rapture. The Rapture engine is written in C++, but that's not particularly relevant since very very few people have access to its source code.

That said, Rapture is designed to be C-like (it even sort of has pointers, but not really).

Back in the day, there was a different engine (Vortex), but that's going way back.
  • edited April 2019
    Javon said:
    someone learning c++ working on imperian, even if imperian did use that, is actually not better than no production/progress. but wasn't there just engineer updates? how is that no production/progress? 

One update doesn't account for the number of pre-existing issues that still plague the game that I'm pretty positive that are still existent under the layers of code that aren't addressed, for years that is too. Such things I've learned also are that some have org/guild requests that have been sitting for over a year pending or not. What I'm looking at is the bigger picture, not one specific focus. Also in the same vein, having someone with the willingness to use their skills in an aspect that they love, can likely free up time with the other admins to focus on other projects and lessen their focus on being everywhere or totally ignoring it all.
  • MathiausMathiaus Pennsylvania
    Looking at the Rapture manual through https://www.ironrealms.com/rapture/manual/files/Overview-txt.html, seems like it wouldn't be too hard to learn. Even though I only have experience with lua, php, javascript, and weeks worth of c++ so far as programming languages go, I know I could pick up python, mysql, and other things no problem. I've done well so far learning on my own.

It would be a fun adventure for a coder :) I'd be up for the challenge.
  • Naruj said:
    Be very careful with these Defiler nerfs.

You've currently approved nerfs to Blackvines (fine), Entropy damage (fine), Woodheart (fine), Devastate (questionable, but maybe), and Bellow (this one I disagree with completely). The idea should be to make the class do less damage before their closer, in exchange for being able to basically one shot someone during it. If you nerf their over time DPS while also nerfing bellow, the class will just never kill anyone above a certain health.
    Agreed. I'm one of the only active Defilers, and the big items that need nerfing are:

-Woodheart: Classlead is good and makes sense.
    -Bileshroud: Classlead is good and makes sense.
    -Entangle: Classlead is good and makes sense.
    -Bellow: Should probably require 55%/60% Entropy to prevent the hated double-bellow.

Otherwise, I'd caution against excessive nerfing. People already don't play Defiler as is, and it's an iconic Demonic class. It'd be a shame to nerf it into oblivion. Entropy probably doesn't need nerfing if the above are handled, and Defiler doesn't have a reliable kill route other than damage bursting. 
  • Ryse said:
    Naruj said:
    Be very careful with these Defiler nerfs.

You've currently approved nerfs to Blackvines (fine), Entropy damage (fine), Woodheart (fine), Devastate (questionable, but maybe), and Bellow (this one I disagree with completely). The idea should be to make the class do less damage before their closer, in exchange for being able to basically one shot someone during it. If you nerf their over time DPS while also nerfing bellow, the class will just never kill anyone above a certain health.
    Agreed. I'm one of the only active Defilers, and the big items that need nerfing are:

-Woodheart: Classlead is good and makes sense.
    -Bileshroud: Classlead is good and makes sense.
    -Entangle: Classlead is good and makes sense.
    -Bellow: Should probably require 55%/60% Entropy to prevent the hated double-bellow.

Otherwise, I'd caution against excessive nerfing. People already don't play Defiler as is, and it's an iconic Demonic class. It'd be a shame to nerf it into oblivion. Entropy probably doesn't need nerfing if the above are handled, and Defiler doesn't have a reliable kill route other than damage bursting. 
    Would also make the saps unable to drop your resists to negative. That seems kind of excessive.
  • Just remove all the classes and give everyone a stick with a simple 'smack' attack.