Skip to content

Big Changes on Imperian

Comments

• A thought occurred to me earlier...

Since money isn't as big of an issue now...

I have a big issue with money!

I don't have the casual spending capacity you all do, nor do i have the mental focus to bash, or write something to do it for me >:|
  • Spawnwaves were explained to me, and though there was some competition, it wasn't that bad.  I only wish it was easier to tell when you kill the first mob that starts the spawnwave timer.

I also still think there should be a benefit from killing x mobs per day outside of the spawnwaves.
  • edited August 2018
    Deklan said:
    A thought occurred to me earlier...

Since money isn't as big of an issue now...

I have a big issue with money!

I don't have the casual spending capacity you all do, nor do i have the mental focus to bash, or write something to do it for me >:|
    I meant it's not an issue for the admin team, when it comes to Imperian. As in they're not looking to make money off it anymore, so they theoretically shouldn't have an issue doing something like this.
  • Some of our genuinely new people who heard "hey, Imperian is going free", might actually (very reasonably, with their dirty, unwashed brains) expect free to mean... FREE.
  • I feel like people are simultaneously having an "entitlement" and a "but give me more free stuff" arguement at the same time in here.
    Developer of the Valkryja system - forum thread | code repository
  • Daganev said:
    Spawnwaves were explained to me, and though there was some competition, it wasn't that bad.  I only wish it was easier to tell when you kill the first mob that starts the spawnwave timer.

I also still think there should be a benefit from killing x mobs per day outside of the spawnwaves.
    Personally I think there needs to be a mechanic that disincentivises Aspects from spending all day just bashing lowbie areas for credits.  I have run into aspects in Redwood Cottons for blimey's sake and I already felt bad for bashing there at 85, I was just run out of the other areas I could easily accomplish already.  This is exactly why many games reduce or eliminate rewards for hitting below your weight class - it makes things much more difficult for new players trying to get into it, which is never a good thing.

I would personally suggest making it bashing X, Y, and Z, amounts of mobs from areas in your level bracket as indicated in AREAS.
  • edited August 2018
    Actually, I have a question.  How long (in hours) is it taking the average nooblet to get the daily cap?  If it's more than an hour or two (yes, even for the guy who doesn't have some awesome basher), that's way too much.  Because that's... more than an hour or two.  Of blah.  Even the difference between "1 hour" and "2 hours" is worth considering.  A reasonably short amount of grinding can even be kind of relaxing after a long day... It could be something someone sort of looks forward to, in the right dose.

Bashing has never exactly been a draw in IRE (and they've said as much).  It has always mainly existed as a barrier to the game's actual content (except to a few, and fine, let them bash, give them some sort of achievement for this).  IRE's prime content from a codebase perspective has always been their PK system.  It makes sense that bashing should be de-emphasized here in comparison to other IRE games (de-emphasize, not "delete", it does have some niche roles). 

We should try to think about how stuff that we've always taken for granted looks from at least two perspectives I can think of:  true newbie who read the announce (probably on reddit?), and crusty IRE vet who already bashed to 100 (and maybe well beyond) in at least two games.
  • with borrowed arties, highfavor, champion, and pretty much every bonus I can think of... I still haven't hit cap any single day (I'm not really pushing for cap if I'm being perfectly honest as I'm bashing aspect areas and the like at 86, but I'm doing some spawnwave areas and holding champion, which I can get away with because at least some people know who I am and most of them are willing to just let me hit aspect so I can get setup to actually play). 
  • So far I've just managed to get the handful of credits I've gotten by cheesing it.  Other days I've gone for hours and not gotten a thing because some aspect just rolls over the stuff I'm trying to kill or the area Im trying to hunt.
  • I've gotten the cap every day so far, and all I have are no-brainer lessons + elite. I do 4-5 doubloon areas, which takes like ~2 hours. As champ that basically gets me 6-7 rounds of credits. The rest of the time I just sit outside the city, or continue bashing other non-doubloon areas for exp/more gold.
  • I've gotten the cap every day so far, and all I have are no-brainer lessons + elite. I do 4-5 doubloon areas, which takes like ~2 hours. As champ that basically gets me 6-7 rounds of credits. The rest of the time I just sit outside the city, or continue bashing other non-doubloon areas for exp/more gold.
    Glad someone is able to do it. All the areas, even the easy ones, are always bashed out when I have time to play. That should be taken into consideration as well. Sometimes people only have time to play at peak hours. There needs to be more ways to generate that don't require as much competition(or pure competition((please please please I need some pvp participation credits not bash your mind out credits)))
  • A doubloon area for someone single trans can take about 30 mins give or take. So somone playing for 2 hours probally can clear 4 areas without too much trouble assuming that they are not totally bashed out.

Grabbing about 14-15 credits in a 2 hour period looks to be doable by anyone. Its the last 5 credits that are a bit of a pain to finish.

• It's the really new people that concern me (and we've been getting a fair number, from what I've observed). Most of those I've asked only manage to get maybe 10 credits.

A huge issue is that spawnwaves gate dailycredits; there's no other way other than PK-related methods (and questing, but I don't even know yet of any quests that trigger dailycredits).

Dragging newcomers to bash is also problematic, because often they don't do nearly enough Bashing Powah to get enough kills to get the 30% requirement. Please, if it's possible, modify the way spawnwaves are credited. 
    currently tentatively active
    (may vanish for periods of time)
  • Mereis said:
    It's the really new people that concern me (and we've been getting a fair number, from what I've observed). Most of those I've asked only manage to get maybe 10 credits.

A huge issue is that spawnwaves gate dailycredits; there's no other way other than PK-related methods (and questing, but I don't even know yet of any quests that trigger dailycredits).

Dragging newcomers to bash is also problematic, because often they don't do nearly enough Bashing Powah to get enough kills to get the 30% requirement. Please, if it's possible, modify the way spawnwaves are credited. 
    Even just crediting it if they're in a group that has enough mobs to qualify would be fine, we drag people bashing all the time in Antioch, its fun.
  • Changing the forumla on spawnwave credit would be cool.

Let bigger groups get credit for smaller contributions.
  • New to Imperian, but coming up on 15 years of IRE. Between learning the basics of Imperian, finding some help files on some type of basic direction for progression, sifting through the differences of our games and having minimal input from experienced players on how to do x or y, I have yet to even come close to the cap.
  • Rime said:
    sifting through the differences of our games and having minimal input from experienced players on how to do x or y

This is truly a chronic issue (not just in Imperian, either). Once you've established yourself, learned a lot of the mechanics, did most of the things to do, and such, it becomes harder to actually remember the time when you didn't know how to do those things. Or, rather, it becomes harder to empathize with the frustration of not knowing how things work.

Furthermore, established players sort of fall into a "waiting" state; waiting for events to happen, for a caravan to pass by, for a shards to fall, etc. They fall into a routine: bash, kill boss mob, quest. CT / GT becomes quiet, and typical new players are often find it too intimidating to "break the silence", as they say. 

So, my suggestion is, go ahead and ask over CT/GT. Bite the bullet! And as for established players, we need to reach out more to our newblings. Take them out to kill the hydra or whatever. It's good fun!
  • I did reach out over CT. After I couldn't find my tutor and they never answered or told me to go to Caanae, I just sort of gave up.
  • That's really unfortunate, and I'm sorry for the lack of help! We (the not-new people) have a lot of improving to do in terms of lending new people a hand. Not only the truly new, but also the newly-returned.

In any case, if your CT/GT doesn't get you the answer you need, you could ask over NEWBIE to get the attention of a wider audience. Hopefully someone will know the answer.
  • Rime said:
    I did reach out over CT. After I couldn't find my tutor and they never answered or told me to go to Caanae, I just sort of gave up.

That's disappointing. I'd like to think that no one was around, but that probably wasn't the case.

We are working on improving and overhauling things, so if you want to talk about your experience (other than being ignored) with me in game, that would be great.

Don't hesitate to ask questions over CT/GT. Hell, send me a tell directly if I'm online. 
  • Just to clarify, I only asked once, and I while I didn't make it explicitly known I wasn't a true true newb, I wasn't trying to mimick one either. Being an IRE vet, after my first question wasn't answered, I just did what I do out of habit, which is to hit people up on skype or discord for help and just kept that chat window open. @Rokas and someone who's name I can't remember now were both pretty helpful IG, so it wasn't all a terrible experience.
  • Not sure why the stupid thing isn't letting me quote

I don't think there's anything from with bashing the lowbie areas (albeit not for credits and not ALL day). The spawnwaves were there for doubloons before all these changes went through and to get my 10 day, I am not going to spend more hours than I need to bashing hard areas. The top "5" difficulty areas according to areas being Necropolis, Gongen, Nagiri, Schrov'ik, Pass would already take 3-4 hours just to get 5 doubloons. I think it's okay as long as you're being a bit considerate (I tend to try do the "hard" areas when there are a lot more people around... and the "easy" areas when there are less people around.

• Astarael said:

I think it's okay as long as you're being a bit considerate 

If this was the norm there would be no basis to make my complaint.  It is not.  I have even had one aspect tell me to go bash somewheres harder so they could do the easy areas.  Stuff em.
  • Havamal said:
    Astarael said:

I think it's okay as long as you're being a bit considerate 

If this was the norm there would be no basis to make my complaint.  It is not.  I have even had one aspect tell me to go bash somewheres harder so they could do the easy areas.  Stuff em.
    =O that -is- rude! It is sad when this happens >=(
  • Yeahhhh... I've had a number of Aspects in places like Redwood Cottons or Shulgaran Dunes while I was leveling... Only go to those places when I don't see any lowbies awake, now, but yeah Havamal's right.

Had two different ones decide to just start bashing everything in my room because, "They were there first." When I asked them to stop, they told me to go somewhere else if I didn't like it.

Quality attitude.
  • edited August 2018
    There's probably always going to be someone with a fairly "gonna get mine" attitude in a competitive bashing environment, even if they're not super in your face about it.  

It's one of the biggest downsides of an IRE with a healthy population, actually.  But (more) people will tolerate it in a healthy game - it's still frankly a huge turnoff though.  But that's not us.  

It has to not be rewarding to loop an area for 12-14 hours a day, or you have to exclude aspects from certain areas mechanically... something, all of the above.  But if it's rewarding to leave that basher running, whether it's for dailies or gold or something else, and leaving that basher running means it's going to be harder for lowbies to meet those "dailies" bars (or even just level), that's what's going to play out.  I don't know if there are relatively easy mechanical answers (and they probably do have to be easy, because we're free).  But you ideally want to at the very least make two kinds of bashing pretty non-competitive - leveling to aspect, and "dailies".  Instances would be ideal, but are of course out of the question, I think, because almost certainly waaay too much work.  
  • Easy fix: only make bashing areas in your level of difficulty as shown by AREAS count for credits
  • edited August 2018
    r.i.p unartied, no evasion, non-knight Aspects. Enjoy taking 5x as long to get your credits as a level 80 does.
  • Why would anyone who's not a newb loop just RWC / Shulgaran / Ironwood / Blighted Hollow / Cinua, anyway...? You can only get rewards (doubloons, credits, etc.) once per RL day from each area.
  • A lot of these people use automated bashing that just loops around unattended.