Skip to content

Keep Credit Sales Open?

2»

Comments

• That argument really hasn't been true for quite a few years now. The only real way someone with no arties is beating a whale in current day IRE (this isn't just Imperian) is if that whale is utterly terrible at fighting, or is playing a useless class like Engineer.

If people are as remotely as skilled as one another, the whale is going to win every time. Ryc himself posted about being able to bashing combo a lot of people to death, because he had the arties to do so. The "bare minimum" (romb, bracelets) etc is still going to get steamrolled over by a remotely competent bard or summoner (probably even an outrider, if picking one from each circle) who is jacked with arties.

eta: I think the current method is going ot be fine, when numbers are tweaked. This is largely how Lithmeria handled their arties (granted you could still pay for higher level artifacts there, the system was still good) - shame some poor admin decisions and a awful playerbase basically neutered the game. Getting skills / arties there as a free player was actually very similar to what Imperian is doing, and you still had whales there with a lot more. Albeit getting to a 'good' point and being able to compete wasn't quite as monotonous.
    Bolded often ends up being fairly matchup specific as long as the person with lesser arties cannot literally just be bashingattacked out. I'm not advocating an 'I play this game so I should get whale status reasonably easily' style of free, I just think that you need to be able to stand against the baseline damage of the whales or else you lose the population influx. I don't even care about that for me if I'm perfectly honest, I haven't decided whether I'm actually going to play again or not. But one of the hangups that was had when I last chatted with Septus about it was 'If this influx of players doesn't have evasion and surcoat then Septus is just going to be able to Claymore and oneshot people and that is not fun for anyone including Septus'
  • Ryc said:
    including Septus'
    He seemed to enjoy doing it to poor Hunter Baasche.
  • Ryc said:
    including Septus'
    It's fun as a novelty, less so as a constant versus pretty much everyone. 
  • i just trans'd Evasion so I'm pretty sure I can survive four Septus swings now
    currently tentatively active
    (may vanish for periods of time)
  • Mereis said:
    i just trans'd Evasion so I'm pretty sure I can survive four Septus swings now
    If he's got weariness.
  • Unfortunately for Baasche, Septus probably thought something like "ooooo, bubblewrap".  *pop* *pop* *pop*
  • Well you're basically saying you're only willing to counternance a single possibility so there's not any point in continuing this discussion, I think.
    Developer of the Valkryja system - forum thread | code repository
  • Ryc said:
    including Septus'

There is no world in which one shotting a hunter isn't hilarious. Its like whacking your friends with the hammer in smash bros and getting the satisfying smash sound.

• Septus said:
    Ryc said:
    including Septus'

There is no world in which one shotting a hunter isn't hilarious. Its like whacking your friends with the hammer in smash bros and getting the satisfying smash sound.

The smash sound being the hammer, or their controller hitting the wall? ;)
  • Regarding the original post @Jeremy Saunders made, if credit sales are going to remain open AND retirement is locked in, perhaps the prices could be revamped. Credits are worth less now, but there definitely is still incentive to buy them, be that to grab an extra tradeskill, a fancy arti or even just to have some unbound ones n hand to give out to newbs. Making credits (and artifact cart) cheaper would also help close the artifact gap for new players. Perhaps also a buff of benefits to elite or a price drop. 
  • I agree with you here, but I'd take out ice cube shares in hell before it happens.
    Developer of the Valkryja system - forum thread | code repository