Skip to content

Big Changes on Imperian

Comments

• Myrcella said:
    Eochaid said:
    Can I retire a character in another IRE game now and bring its bound credits to imperian before the cut off date?

That isnt going to cause an issue is it? @Jeremy Saunders
    I have a citizen that currently plays Lusternia and is wondering if their Lusternia credits will transfer over to Imperian. The file he found says specifically Aetolia and Achaea. Clarification would be fantastic!

Thank you @Jeremy Saunders 

Yes. You have until the 15th to do this.

• You can retire to Imperian. You just can't retire to Imperian after the cut-off date.
  • Due to the declining nature of Imperian, I decided to start on Achaea while Imperian was going through the down period, hoping it'd recover. Sadly, I decided to keep my character there in case it did recover. With these new changes, will there be any chance of the time frame of retiring being changed for maybe a heavier penalty for those wanting to go elsewhere?
  • Dyron said:
    Due to the declining nature of Imperian, I decided to start on Achaea while Imperian was going through the down period, hoping it'd recover. Sadly, I decided to keep my character there in case it did recover. With these new changes, will there be any chance of the time frame of retiring being changed for maybe a heavier penalty for those wanting to go elsewhere?
    I'm not really sure what you mean by the "the time frame of retiring being changed for maybe a heavier penalty". Can you explain that a bit more for me?

• My character on Achaea is almost 2 months old now so it's out of the receiving retirement credits phase but with the drastic changes here, it'd be nice to have the choice to move somewhere else without having to start a completely new character.
  • So, onto the cool stuff and not the complaining stuff.

Are the credit changes coming with the update? (Which was when again?) Like mentioned bosses dropping credits and so forth?
  • @Jeremy - Are you going to make a post on promotional item values? Can we get a decision on leveled artifacts too? I.E. Scepters, Amulets, Goggles, and Apple Bag.

Since I asked in the thread about retire value and it was locked without being answered.
    You say, "Oh crap."
    You say, "My bottle is empty."
    Jeremy raises an eyebrow questioningly.
    Jeremy slaps you on the cheek.
  • Fanglor said:
    So, onto the cool stuff and not the complaining stuff.

Are the credit changes coming with the update? (Which was when again?) Like mentioned bosses dropping credits and so forth?
    Yes, the plan is to roll these out on the 15th.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • As a new player - who is relatively broke due to being a college student :'D - I really enjoy the opportunity to be able to play the game for free.
    My main concern is that I created this character before the change of model. Am I likely to gain less credits than if I had created it after the 15 ?

• Everyone's going to have access to the same credit-generating mechanics after the 15th, so I don't see why not! In fact, since you started 'earlier', you have the opportunity to get settled, grab supplies, and get ready for the 15th.
    currently tentatively active
    (may vanish for periods of time)
  • Dyron said:
    My character on Achaea is almost 2 months old now so it's out of the receiving retirement credits phase but with the drastic changes here, it'd be nice to have the choice to move somewhere else without having to start a completely new character.
    Yeah. I don't think we will be changing that limit. Sorry.

• Eoghan said:
    Fanglor said:
    So, onto the cool stuff and not the complaining stuff.

Yes, the plan is to roll these out on the 15th.
    This is actually the main thing I am working on right now. 

• Wyll said:
    @Jeremy - Are you going to make a post on promotional item values? Can we get a decision on leveled artifacts too? I.E. Scepters, Amulets, Goggles, and Apple Bag.

Since I asked in the thread about retire value and it was locked without being answered.
    I am working on this now and I should load it later today with a post. 

In summary, I will put a basic value on many of the items you cannot normally turn in for credits and let them count toward retirement in some way. 

• Saatiel said:
    As a new player - who is relatively broke due to being a college student :'D - I really enjoy the opportunity to be able to play the game for free.
    My main concern is that I created this character before the change of model. Am I likely to gain less credits than if I had created it after the 15 ?

You will not miss out on anything. There will be some changes to achievements rewards, but those will be applied to your characters retroactively. 

Many of the XP bonus rewards will become lesson and credit rewards. We will give those to anyone who has the achievement already. 

• If anything it'd be better to start sooner.

Get as high of a level as you can, so you're able to tackle harder things ASAP when the changes go live... Get as many achievements etc out of the way that you can, so when the retroactive credits/lessons come in, you have a bigger upfront amount to work with. Both combined will make it even easier for you to get further, than if you started after the changes.
  • edited July 2018
    So, Anette here.  Yeah, this was one of my alts.  No, I haven't really been around (not on Imperian anyways), but I can't comment with a retired account, and I saw the news here and wanted to say something at least.  Consider it my two cents (Canadian) worth, for whatever value the rest of you ascribes it.

This is mostly a collection of a whole bunch of salient related points so apologies if it's a bit scattershot.

1] I think I'm probably not the only one that feels that this is basically an admission Imperian is dead.  Given the generous 1000cr promotion earlier, and even that didn't seem to retain people, I don't know what else one can do here.  Activity is important, and Imperian didn't have enough.  Speaking as someone who develops social media software as her like, actual paying job, never, ever, underestimate the network effect.  Indeed much of the contributing factor to my own retirement was the fact that most of my other friends in Imperian had already left.

2] Over the years, I paid almost 10 grand into Imperian, onto my main character at the time.  I did the math once and depressed myself.  And that's not even counting Anette.  While that character is already retired, if you told me that I was basically losing that investment, I'd be very upset, and I feel that the staff posts here seem extremely unsympathetic towards that.  I'd be disappointed if my 300$ lifetime subscription to Champions Online was spent on the game closing, but that's also a degree of magnitude or three less investment.  I've always felt that IRE doesn't really value the feelings of their "whales."  Just their money.  And seeing my financial situation take a sharp downturn because of my medical expenses in the past two years, I've certainly felt the pain point that is the buy-in.

[Edit/clarification]: Hoboy, I just saw how hung up people are getting on the word "investment".  Well, to be clear, what I mean is simple: I have different expectations of quality, uptime, and amount of development, of a game I've paid 300$ to, than one I have paid 10,000$ to.  I have to say even now that I do not regret giving IRE the money I have in the past, because it was money I gave not in the hope of future success, but out of appreciation of present enjoyment.  It's also essentially why I got to a point where I just stopped - I do not make a habit of paying a game to get better.  I pay a game that's already something I enjoy.  If it isn't something enjoy, then what's the value?  That's what's meant by investment here.  The expectation that the payment of an amount of money results in a certain quality.  I don't think anyone but the wheel gamblers were expecting an actual ROI (and boy, were they disappointed, heheheh)

3] Something HAS to be done to catch people up with existing whales for this system to be viable.  This is why World of Warcraft has catch-up gear before each expansion, for instance, such as the Darkshore world quests that are going on now.  Otherwise people are going to get steamrollered and leave to a MUD without a pay-to-win mechanic, even if it is a grandfathered one.  It's not the ideal, but it's what's going to realistically happen.

4] Jeremy mentioned earlier in this thread that Elokia was killing it when she was in, and I agree, but she had a great team of volunteers behind her, and frankly, another part of my retirement was I downright offered, several times, that if there was something - anything - I could do to help with Imperian they had but ask, and I was never taken up on it.

The feeling of helplessness watching something I wanted to actively help to try to prevent happen anyways was something that was eating away at me in a huge fashion.  These words on this screen cannot convey this adequately.

Imperian has to get better about cultivating volunteers.

That offer is still open by the way.  You guys should have my email.

5] I loved Imperian.  I still love the Imperian I played in it's heyday.  I hope it returns someday.

Love and hugs,
    May
    Developer of the Valkryja system - forum thread | code repository
  • Hmm. I wish we can retire to old characters in Imperian. I have a bunch of characters here, I want to combine them and continue playing Imperian. 
  • As I'm nosy and impatient are there any gold dumps planned at launch?
  • Please direct any dumping of gold to the Bank of Dec. We will gladly take your unneeded funds. :smiley:
  • Dec said:
    Please direct any dumping of gold to the Bank of Dec. We will gladly take your unneeded funds. :smiley:
    Surely as long as you volunteer as a meatshield
  • Fanglor said:
    Surely as long as you volunteer as a meatshield
    Hrm, not an inaccurate description of what I already do . . .
  • @Jeremy Saunders Will there still be a way to obtain Tokens of the Creator when the changes happen?
  • Hi, I just saw the news about what activities can earn credits.

These things might be well known to the current playerbase, but I would like to recommend that cities and guilds create scrolls to give more direction about them. As a returning player, I don't know what half these things are or what levels they are intended for.

- Completing a spawnwave.
    - Killing a boss mob.
    - Completing some specific in-game quests.
    - Every hour you're a champion and not in a safe city, towne, or house. Must be
    online.
    - Every 12 hours of monolith control time your character has. Do NOT have to be
    online.
    - Pillaging a caravan until nothing is left in it.
    - Collecting the most shards from a shardfall.

- Attacking and defending obelisks.
    - Raiding and defending raids.
    - Attacking caravans (Yes, the org earns points and characters get credits)
    - Number of shards added to your generator.

Case in point, somebody was just explaining shards to me the other day and when I asked about obelisks they told me not to worry about them cause they aren't really used anymore.
  • It's in! Now you lurkers come join in the festivities.
  • It's not lurking. It's skulking.
  • The post said:

4. We are going to leave credit sales on for people who really want to make purchases. I
    was semi-surprised as the number of people who want to keep memberships running and would
    like the option to buy credits still. While I don't expect a large number of purchases
    from this, it will help us maintain services. Imperian will probably not participate in
    general promotions anymore. Particularly promotions that would require new items.

The way things are set its very unlikely you'll be able to get your 20 in a few hours.

• edited August 2018
    Right now, you can get credits via:

- completing spawnwaves
    - doing quests
    - killing boss mobs
    - holding a monolith
    - being a champion
    - plundering caravans
    - collecting shardfall shards
    - influencing a leyline

Credits you earn curve downwards. For example, if you bash a spawnwave, you get 5. Influencing a leyline gets you 4. Bashing another spawnwave gets you 3. Killing a boss mob gives you 2. Then 1-1-1-1-1-1 until you complete the 20.

One suggestion is to not curve down completing different kinds of credit-generation tasks. So bashing Redwood Cottons and Shulgaran Dunes (spawnwaves) will net you 5 and 4 credits, but then you kill Nindzar (boss mob) and that still gives you 5 credits.

As it is, the system heavily favours people who already have a lot of lessons and credits (/artifacts). They can bash faster and survive/escape attack better. 
  • Suggestions:

Killing 250 creatures, 1/day. Safe from spawnwaves being grinded into oblivion and level independent. Assuming a generous kill per minute of 5, should take ~50m.
    Completing 5 quests, 1/day. Less esoteric than 'find the money quest!'.
    Perform 12 custom emotes in front of other players in public, 5 minute cooldown per emote (so 60m minimum), 1/day. Even the twerps who create a 5m idle timer to do random emotes at the Statue Spot will still add some roleplay (hopefully), and some motivation to emote would be swell. 

These three alone would be a doable 12 credits for everyone in a couple hours of play.

• Yeah I have to say, my initial impression as a sub-aspect person with no real pve artifacts unless you count vials, I really am at a disadvantage trying to get the spawnwave credits, especially since at any time some group or aspect can roll up and pull the carpet from under your feet.
    Developer of the Valkryja system - forum thread | code repository
  • I honestly am not sure why we can't just get our daily credits from one of the sources done once per day. In addition some of the the credit rewards are disproportionate to the difficulty of the the achievement. Wraith Slayer is worth 40 credits. The list of people all time who have beaten it is 19 people, and basically boils down to the initial AM crew who did it, and then various friends they carried through it after the mechanics were figured out.  Clergy is a cheesable achievement (I know because I watched Khizan give it to basically everyone in AM one day) and it's worth 50 credits. The list of people who have it is almost as many rows as people who have actually completed wraith slayer. I'd honestly still recommend tying skill gains to something other than credits at this point, because ultimately you need those skills to compete and/or fight and most of them before artifacts.