Skip to content

Calling All Combatants Old and New

I have an idea that might be fun. If you have a Tome of the Undying (or if you don't mind bashing to 100), roll a level 100 no-artifact, no-extra-lessons newbie. Let's have like a... Tome of the Undying Tournament. Not restricted to tome champs, of course, as long as the same criteria is met. It would be interesting because you wouldn't be tri-trans and you wouldn't have a lot of healing skills. It could be its own little thing, since those of you who are left mostly sit around doing nothing. Might as well fill the nothing with something ridiculous.

If there are enough of us we could even do lowbie teams.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comments

• Owyn and I have discussed this a few times.

I regretfully do not have a tome. :(
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Yeaaaah I lost my time as well when I retired my character :( I'm willing if someone will bash me up though :D
  • I am at least a little surprised we aren't getting some big names from other games - at least not in the numbers I'd sort of expect.  I mean, it's not something I ever thought would last, but I thought that us going free might mean a sort of temporary renaissance with big, big players from other games coming over.  

It's true that there are really only a couple of "locals" who can play at anywhere near that level (and one is hoping that all of his work is somewhere on a very sickly disk), so it may just be that they don't see anyone to play with.  And make no mistake, our homegrown individuals and teams would get absolutely wrecked by these guys and it's nothing you're going to be able to improve quickly (but you should still consider fighting them at least once or twice and LOG it).  But even so, the mere platform of the game itself is sort of a potential playground for this kind of power player to play with and against EACH OTHER.  With that in mind, what do people think of our chances of getting a spike in PK activity (at least for awhile)?
  • I dunno about you but @Pellerin has been smashing my face at shardfalls and leylines :<
    currently tentatively active
    (may vanish for periods of time)
  • edited August 2018
    For now, you have a few (very few) locals left who are... good in their own right, yeah.  But I mean, I think that there is very little breadth or depth left in our "local" pool, you know? 

Anyway, the reason I see IRE's challenjour tier as the guys who could be enticed is because those are the guys who can pretty easily adapt to a whole new IRE and quickly become a huge threat - and, of course, try to destroy that one guy from Aetolia, or Lusternia, or Achaea who everyone says is "the best".  I wonder if they think about it in those terms or not though (it may not even be on their radar).  
  • Speaking only for myself, knowing that if I did get into the system stuff again, I'd be severely at a power disadvantage going up against the remaining whales, and likely without much assistance, does a lot to dissuade me from wanting to, as much as I have kind of renewed interest or at least a desire to see where the free thing goes.  No one likes losing, and I don't mind taking some lumps, but there's some people I'd have to either grind a lot, or spend a bunch of money in the next couple weeks, to really go up against.
    Developer of the Valkryja system - forum thread | code repository
  • And now for something completely different. Does 'Stick em With the Pointy End' still exist? Please send me a message IG. Part of me is interested in this as a sociological experiment.
  • edited August 2018
    Havamal said:
    Speaking only for myself, knowing that if I did get into the system stuff again, I'd be severely at a power disadvantage going up against the remaining whales, and likely without much assistance, does a lot to dissuade me from wanting to, as much as I have kind of renewed interest or at least a desire to see where the free thing goes.  No one likes losing, and I don't mind taking some lumps, but there's some people I'd have to either grind a lot, or spend a bunch of money in the next couple weeks, to really go up against.
    For sure, but there is a class of player that can walk into this game, and with a bit of game dissection, they can -easily- destroy nearly any whale who isn't also THAT good of a combatant.  There are already a couple that pop in who could easily destroy all of the whales save two - including the guys who spend a lot of time on 1 v. 1 and who have honed their craft as best they can.  And once they destroy the whales (and probably anyone else), they could just play against each other (provided there were enough of them).     

Sometimes they do really need an item or two to survive against a whale, but especially in 1 v. 1 (and even in groups if they're good enough), they don't need much compared to the average combatant.  And now, they are going to have a real chance to get those items.  And probably a lot more than that over time, without investing big bucks (most top tier guys are both "very, very good" AND also "whales" in their primary games).

EDIT:  I'd be a little surprised if it could last more than a year or two all told (and probably wayyyy shorter than that - because you really are going to find out "who is the undisputed king of everything, who is 1 v. 1 king, who is king of teams?"), but it would be a hell of a ride if you're that class of player (and enough fellow Challenjours take up the... challenge).  I have a theory that they may not be at all interested in doing that, but also, that they may - or enough may.  It partly depends on whether most big boys like being undisputed big boy more, or if they like novelty and a challenge more.  If a good number come, another option is that all or most of them join the same team (although I think that would be difficult to get much out of that in the current game) for the hilarity (different than close friends grouping together).  That is a thing, too.    
  • Swale said:
    Havamal said:
    Speaking only for myself, knowing that if I did get into the system stuff again, I'd be severely at a power disadvantage going up against the remaining whales, and likely without much assistance, does a lot to dissuade me from wanting to, as much as I have kind of renewed interest or at least a desire to see where the free thing goes.  No one likes losing, and I don't mind taking some lumps, but there's some people I'd have to either grind a lot, or spend a bunch of money in the next couple weeks, to really go up against.
    For sure, but there is a class of player that can walk into this game, and with a bit of game dissection, they can -easily- destroy nearly any whale who isn't also THAT good of a combatant.  There are already a couple that pop in who could easily destroy all of the whales save two - including the guys who spend a lot of time on 1 v. 1 and who have honed their craft as best they can.  And once they destroy the whales (and probably anyone else), they could just play against each other (provided there were enough of them).     

Sometimes they do really need an item or two to survive against a whale, but especially in 1 v. 1 (and even in groups if they're good enough), they don't need much compared to the average combatant.  And now, they are going to have a real chance to get those items.  And probably a lot more than that over time, without investing big bucks (most top tier guys are both "very, very good" AND also "whales" in their primary games).

I can make excuses or reasons as to why for a long time here, but I guess where it all boils down to for me is that the idea of an uneven playing field, turns me off right at the gate.  It's also why I feel the upcoming change could end up actually taking my interest, because it presents a situation where the playing field is going to get a lot more even than it was, at least.
    Developer of the Valkryja system - forum thread | code repository
  • It should be a prime opportunity to experiment and see what you could do with yourself, for sure.  In theory, it will be almost like long running access to some sort of beta server.