Skip to content

Retirement Tips

edited July 2018 in General Discussion
What are some good tips to make sure that you get the best possible retirement value?  What should you definitely NOT do?  Do you trade in artifacts or keep them?  Do you want to try to sell promo items if they have a low or non-existent assigned value?  Do the credits from promo items you DO trade in count?  And so on... Maybe you don't have to do anything at all - which would, under the right circumstances, be the ideal situation for all parties (meaning you'd feel confident you're going to get a properly calculated return regardless of what you do or don't do, and IRE doesn't have to deal with the guy who wants to know if he can deposit all of these pennies, and also, what about these Canadian pennies).  

At some point, I am sure it will partly come down to how down in the weeds you want to go, and how much effort you're willing to put in for X return, but I'd love to have some sort of understanding of how the process works (I definitely don't).  Even if I don't end up doing it, I'd love to hear from players who went through the process and feel like they learned useful things about how it works.

Comments

• edited July 2018
    (1) Lessons are valued at half their credit value. That is, the original exchange rate of credit:lesson is 1:6, so in retirement, that becomes 1:12. This also means that you should not forget skills before retiring, as doing so would first halve the lesson value, before taking another halving hit from retirement.

(2) Bound credits are halved. That is, if you had 1000 bound credits sitting around, it will translate to 500 retirement credits.

(3) From what I've observed, artifacts seem to be valued based on their full price. So if you have a 1000-credit artifact, that will translate to 500 retirement credits. This also means that you should not tradein your artifacts before retiring, because that would mean that you first devalue your 1000-credit artifact to 667 bound credits, and then half that again (see rule 2) to just 334 retirement credits.

(4) Any artifact not purchased via credits has no value. Tokens, crowns, dingbats, crystals, whatever -- if it's not priced via credits, it is valued at 0.

(5) Any item that has no value via ARTIFACT # VALUE has no bearing on retirement value.

(6) Any "free" artifacts you obtain are counted against your retirement value. For example, if you won a 1000-credit artifact from the Wheel, then 1000 credits will be deducted from your value. That's why you can have characters who need more than 1000 credits in order to start retirement, even though, normally, 1000 credits is the minimum.

(7) The same goes for the no-brainer packages. If you buy 2 of the lesson packages, then 2000 lessons will first be deducted from your lesson total, before being converted to their credit value as detailed in rule 1.

(8) Unbound credits are supposed to retain their full value. 1000 unbound credits = 1000 retirement credits. However, do note that retirement credits become bound to the character to which they are transferred.
    currently tentatively active
    (may vanish for periods of time)
  • Confirmed that trading in promo items that have a bound credit value does increase your retirement value.
  • Remember to transfer any membership credits to a character before the deadline.  It does increase the value of that character (and I don't think they do anything for you before that, which makes sense).