Skip to content

Apparitions Event

I'm really excited that RP is being pushed for right now. It's fantastic. That being said, I have some questions about this Apparition/Goggles event, because not much info has been provided. Kavar has said that the Rashirmir is thinning, and the spirit world is essentially leaking into ours. We get the goggles so we can see these apparitions, and then..we're just supposed to start slaughtering them and using their spectral bodies to protect our cities?

Why does he feel we need to protect the cities? What have the apparitions done that merits just outright killing them? What are we defending against?

All we have are harmless spirits that creepily stare at you and then move on. 

The only reasoning behind this so far is: Because Kavar said so.

Comments

• And on the non-RP side of it, why another bashing event. I already hate bashing as it is. What will happen if I don't participate because I hate bashing?
  • The event just started. Stay tuned.
    Like what we're doing? Why not take a second to vote? Vote for Imperian at http://www.imperian.com/vote
  • DimitriDimitri Somewhere cold
    Jesstin said:
    I'm really excited that RP is being pushed for right now. It's fantastic. That being said, I have some questions about this Apparition/Goggles event, because not much info has been provided. Kavar has said that the Rashirmir is thinning, and the spirit world is essentially leaking into ours. We get the goggles so we can see these apparitions, and then..we're just supposed to start slaughtering them and using their spectral bodies to protect our cities?

Why does he feel we need to protect the cities? What have the apparitions done that merits just outright killing them? What are we defending against?

All we have are harmless spirits that creepily stare at you and then move on. 

The only reasoning behind this so far is: Because Kavar said so.
    Nothing really stopping you from not attacking them if you don't think it is right for you or your character to do so. While, yeah, there's not alot of information about it right now? this isn't about finding out what is 'right' or 'wrong' its about how you deal with something with minimal information for the time being.
  • Find out ic :V
  • I will point out a couple things.
    1. Yes, clearly there is a bashing element for this section of the event.
    2. There is a PK element with that. Kill people who are working against what you want. PK should only involve people who are doing the event at that time, as much as possible please. I know, this may be asking a lot, but please remember the "Don't be a douchebag" PK rule please. 
    3. There is a huge RP element, especially for city leaders. Coordinating efforts with or against other orgs.
    4. Also on the RP front, entities have "some" inside knowledge due to their divine nature.

• I will point out a couple things.
    2. There is a PK element with that. Kill people who are working against what you want. PK should only involve people who are doing the event at that time, as much as possible please. I know, this may be asking a lot, but please remember the "Don't be a douchebag" PK rule please. 
    3. There is a huge RP element, especially for city leaders. Coordinating efforts with or against other orgs.
    4. Also on the RP front, entities have "some" inside knowledge due to their divine nature.
    I'd expect that blocking off access to Alekmanhala's Lair while people tried to get goggles last night was OK, but chasing people later for teaming me over it (and probably them chasing me for it) is 'a thing of the past'? Is this right?
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>

There is a huge RP element, especially for city leaders. Coordinating efforts with or against other orgs

• Sarrius said:
    I will point out a couple things.
    I'd expect that blocking off access to Alekmanhala's Lair while people tried to get goggles last night was OK, but chasing people later for teaming me over it (and probably them chasing me for it) is 'a thing of the past'? Is this right?
    I've got no issue with Sarrius coming after Jess for that. It's expected, even. She and some others came after him for hindering fellow council members from getting their goggles. I'd be surprised if he didn't . It all fits within the event, to me. Everyone has a goal, and is doing what they must to accomplish it.
  • Jesstin said:
    Sarrius said:
    I will point out a couple things.
    I've got no issue with Sarrius coming after Jess for that. It's expected, even. She and some others came after him for hindering fellow council members from getting their goggles. I'd be surprised if he didn't . It all fits within the event, to me. Everyone has a goal, and is doing what they must to accomplish it.
    To be clear, Oystir came to show off for girls, not because of whatever. 
     You say, "This is much harder than just being a normal person."
    Personally, i'm enjoying all the conflicting rumours and theories that are flying around about the cause of the event and the resulting high tension it is causing for certain interactions.
    When dealing with specters:

• I quite like the specter mechanic. 

Things to consider:

- Perhaps make specters grow/ evolve everytime you kill one. Or have them level up. First one is tiny, then larger and large.
    - Or make them choose from a random group of afflictions/ damage such that each time it changes a bit. This might also work by progressively adding more types of afflictions the specter can do
  • Achievements and qhonours plx? Since you guys are obviously tracking, I imagine this is planned, but I wanted to nudge about it anyway.

The barrier check has felt awful from Khandava's side. I know we have fewer people for an opposed contest, but spending a couple hours killing apparitions in every city/sewer/adjacent/even wanderers to not nudge the Progress Meter makes me feel like I should have just played some League.

ITHAQUA DID SOMETHING BAD BECAUSE OF THIS EVENT. THEY KNOOOW WHAT THEY DID *SHAKEFIST*.

Otherwise, A+ all around so far. I've actually even had some time to talk to entities in between TDay insanity!
  • @Dimitri did it! I know nothing!  o:)
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Gjarrus said:
    Achievements and qhonours plx? Since you guys are obviously tracking, I imagine this is planned, but I wanted to nudge about it anyway.

The barrier check has felt awful from Khandava's side. I know we have fewer people for an opposed contest, but spending a couple hours killing apparitions in every city/sewer/adjacent/even wanderers to not nudge the Progress Meter makes me feel like I should have just played some League.

ITHAQUA DID SOMETHING BAD BECAUSE OF THIS EVENT. THEY KNOOOW WHAT THEY DID *SHAKEFIST*.

Otherwise, A+ all around so far. I've actually even had some time to talk to entities in between TDay insanity!

It's because while you're doing that, other people are doing the same. Barrier strength is a zero-sum game, as far as we can tell.
  • Gjarrus said:
     I know we have fewer people for an opposed contest
    I mostly just mean the increments are so large that my valiantly wasted efforts feel extra wasted.
    Oh so that's the bad thing we did.
  • edited November 2017
    I kinda wanted to rip the Rashirmir open just for funsies but they said I couldn't. I'm with you guys in spirit.
     You say, "This is much harder than just being a normal person."
  • in the future, if we have something similar to the read the scroll and find the place to perform the ritual, could the vnum of the room not be ??? when using path search. that makes it painful for people who actually like the IG map and path tracking system, and gives a clear advantage to those that use a third party mapper and can just walk to it.(Yes, I actually do like the IG map but this stupid event made me go out and install a stupid mapper with all the bells and whistles cause ain't nobody got time for that, when there's a clear advantage.)
  • Oystir said:
    I kinda wanted to rip the Rashirmir open just for funsies but they said I couldn't. I'm with you guys in spirit.
    "...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.”
  • So, Antioch has had the chain for at least 6, possibly 7, hours now. Each pull of it dings the Rashirmir hard, taking back who knows how many Specter rituals. Before the chain dropped it was at Thicker than Normal. Now it's Extremely Thin. Each time a city sits on the chain like this, all that work is undone. And because this is city based, if they aren't infusing, zero progress is made. No one else can do a thing to break that chain and keep it moving, keep the event rolling. It gets stagnant.

We need another way to deal with the chain, otherwise this is going to go on forever. Not enough people are invested/interested enough to run the event as it's set up now. Those that are can't get into unwelcome cities to infuse and keep it moving. Unless a massive group got together for a raid that was focused on infusing, there's not really anything else to be done.
    Aetheric hacksaws and cutting torches, problem solved.
  • edited December 2017
    What do you mean by "keep it moving"? Both strong and weak Rashirmir are options... so it is moving, albeit not in the direction you might like. Why does the chain need to move, too, for a feeling of "progression"? If people from other cities stop infusing their own barriers, the chain will jump to them when Antioch gets around to strengthening the barrier... So there is still ample motivation to keep harvesting spirits, even if the chain happens to be stuck on a single city.

You could try a political approach as well: "Here, take these spirits we harvested because if we don't share with you we all risk death by the extremely thin Rashirmir".
  • Zerin is totally right, just because you don't feel like progress is happening doesn't mean everyone feels that way. sure, a lot of us in khandava are ready for the event to be over(or at least this phase of it) but we feel like we've made tremendous progress. When I left yesterday we had the strongest barrier, and the rashirmir was thinning out more and more, which is what we, and probably a few other cities, want.
  • I didn't mean that as in it's not going the way I want it to. Of course I understand that there are two ways it can go. I was speaking more of lack of participation, not intentionally letting the chain stay where it is. From a Mukhtar's mouth, Jess was told hardly anyone wakes and even less participate in the event, so in this case it's not them choosing to let the chain stay,more so no one participates enough to actively select one or the other.
  • Stop thinking about it like you're on the same team as those people. Let their negligence have consequences. We have taken away all consequences in this game. This event openly displays who does and does not care about events or the state of the world as their circles sees it. Antioch and Kinsarmar have seemed to have held the chain the most, with Ithaqua avoiding it thus far entirely to my knowledge. I hope this means what I think it does.

On a side note, I agree with @Aodan and @Zerin .. this is the way the event can go. We need to do away with this stupid Us vs Them mindset in events where we set aside circles, antagonism, etc entirely to fight the Big Bad. It's boring as fuck and it ends up making really impotent events. I have no interest in an event where there are no stakes, and the world coordinating to move the chain around reduces the stakes heavily.

I much prefer the way it currently is, where we murder each other over the hulking apparitions and try to do our own thing. I will do everything in my power to ensure it remains this way, because it is far more fun and realistic of normal Aetherius. Thankfully, Ithaqua likes the cut of my jib, so we all seem to be on board for that; thanks, @Dimitri !

Some cities just can't or won't support Their Own Thing. Antioch Can't, Kinsarmar seems like it Won't.
    The event as it is wanting to be played by some ie: 'Forget all about your allegiances, and band together to fight this big bad threat' kind of flies in the face of the norm of 'you're magick and we hate you for it, you're demonic and we hate you for it, you're antimagick, and we hate you for it.' We band together for this event, punt Legion (again) and go right back to fighting amongst ourselves once again.

It makes me think the circles are kinda meaningless ultimately since our major threats are the ones that will affect us all. Which may be the ultimate point of all this, but then why put us in this scenario anyway? Why have the fanaticism and the pvp if ultimately it comes down to us fighting a divine being or two who wants to eat us/enslave us all? I don't get it.

I get the whole 'superhero/supervillain team up' thing is totally cool in comic books, and i like it there, but it flies in the face of the general feel/message we get from the devs who are like 'yeah, totally. go kick their ass for wearing the wrong pants!'