Skip to content

Classleads, Oct 2012

edited October 2012 in Fighting and Combat

This is the same thread we always start. What do you want to do? What do you want to change? 

My goals this round are fairly simple:

1. Address Runeguard weapon etchings being, for the most part, complete and utter garbage.
  2. Address Runelore's amazing lack of interesting runes. I'd like to maybe see some totem combinations aside from "All sleep" and "all pain".
  3. Noctusari are still so irritatingly slippery. I'd like to see pathfinder become easier to kill, and some way to stop universe. I don't care if it means I have to take a few seconds of balance and stomp the map like a kid wrecking a sand castle. Actually, that would be pretty awesome.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

Comments

• Ha ha..because needing to invest 2 DSLs on "attack pathfinder" is difficult?

Their slipperiness/gimmicky nature masks the fact that they are a legacy class made for Iron Realms circa 2000, with hits to everything from damage, infiltration, ranged, and aeon. Whereas many of the legacy classes have had a reboot, I would like to think Summoner can be addressed using the existing template.

“We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • It's difficult in that if the first DSL doesn't kill it, they'll easily be gone before you get a second one off. Since orbs aren't a guaranteed kill against it either, you basically have to hope for a crit.

"On the battlefield I am a god. I love war. The steel, the smell, the corpses. I wish there were more. On the first day I drove the Northmen back alone at the ford. Alone! On the second I carried the bridge! Me! Yesterday I climbed the Heroes! I love war! I… I wish it wasn’t over."

• That is a terrible argument. It would certainly have legs if pathfinder wasn't targettable and you were at the whim of "demon". But cutting hairs because 4-5 seconds (as opposed to say, 2) doesn't allow you to instagib a Summoner (because those are the instances we are talking about where the initial 2 seconds would actually be meaningful) seems a stretch. I mean, no one is a fan of "take monolith/take hazeward/say ride home", as it lets runeguards get away all of the time either. But you learn to cope. 

“We abjure labels. We fight for money and an indefinable pride. The politics, the ethics, the moralities, are irrelevant."
  • edited October 2012

I learned to cope by attaching a flame to my sigils, I dunno about you. That's a very easy counter to the problem of "get sigil;say ride home", and it doesn't even take balance or eq. The pathfinder, though, if your first attack doesn't kill it they can just vanish, instantly. Through piety, through engage, through walls or floods or whatever. 

I'm not saying "I SHOULD BE ABLE TO LOCK THEM DOWN INSTANTLY AND FOREVER." I just think that pathfinder's in a crappy place right now. I walk in, I attack it. It dies, but I'm off balance and they just walk out. I walk in and use a hindering skill. They pathfinder. Sometimes, I walk in, attack the pathfinder, it doesn't die, and they pathfinder. This is opposed to, say, you walking in and dropping a flamed monolith and gravehands/piety/whatever in the same breath.

• edited October 2012
    I want to fix Mages, or at least make them more tolerable. No class should require thousands of dollars worth of artifacts just to be somewhat acceptably viable sometimes. Eldreth's argument of "ancient, outdated legacy class that needs a reboot" applies here, as well.
  • Honestly, the only class I use: ranger is fairly balance, at least in my eyes, that's obviously somewhat biased but it's not an impossible class.

The only things I would look to change is 'flintlight'  and 'overdraw' but overdraw is more a nuisance than something bad.

• I'd also like to kill circles entirely. They were a good try, but they're just not functional. Fighting inside a circle is 100% opt-in unless you manage to get somebody to walk into a prepared one and seal it when they're off balance.

• Could use input on classlead 16 or 17 when anyone gets chance. I'm curious to see what people think considering Templar has been being transitioned towards being a straight up damage class.
    ‘Least I won’t have to carry it no more. You see how bloody heavy it is?’

‘Every sword’s a weight to carry. Men don’t see that when they pick ’em up. But they get heavier with time.”
  • I have a few ideas for incremental changes to knights and wardancers to give them more potential in 1v1 fights, and a few small tweaks to monks to level out the small inconsistencies I see in their balance - but I must be practical and admit that most of my classleads will undoubtedly go toward fixing the classleads that Galt submits to nerf a class that apparently no one has played since I took a break from the game near the end of May.
  • My goal is to bring Druids in line and then address some problems in that class and other magick classes, with a few partial toys thrown to a few classes in other circles (Diabolist, Defiler, Wardancer).
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Apparently, fixing mage isn't really something that can be done in the scope of classleads (it more really needs a total overhaul a la hunters/outriders.) But the few classleads I've thrown in are some attempts to patch it up enough to at least make the class not completely suck.
  • -Druid needs some light whacks with the nerf bat
    -Hunter needs one that I suspect
    -I'll blow most of mine in making malignist suck less.
  • Apoloc said:
    Honestly, the only class I use: ranger is fairly balance, at least in my eyes, that's obviously somewhat biased but it's not an impossible class.

The only things I would look to change is 'flintlight'  and 'overdraw' but overdraw is more a nuisance than something bad.
    I tried really hard to think of something to change, but I didn't even come up with the flintlight, just fixing my artifact bow breaking when I overdraw.
    Someone powerful says, "Its broken. No more pulling the guillotine."
  • 24 and 30 are attempts to pick apart the biggest problems people bring to me regarding Druids. Anything else, please message me or post here. I know many of you believe the class does too much damage - I am trying to tone down the biggest culprit (the 10% maxhp noblock upon trying to heal, which is a non-decision when it comes to the usage of) and then maybe I will also address a few other things.
    <div>Message #2062&nbsp; Sent By: (imperian)&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Received On: 1/20/2018/2:59</div><div>"Antioch has filed a bounty against you. Reason: Raiding Antioch and stealing Bina, being a right</div><div>ass, and not belonging anywhere near Antioch till he grows up."</div>
  • Repeating my method from last time. Throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks.
  • Cadeyrn said:
    Repeating my method from last time. Throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks.
    Not precisely conducive to proper class balance.
  • Ahkan said:

-Hunter needs one that I suspect

The statuette needs a nerf. Is that what you're talking about? Because I completely agree. 20% a ridiculous damage increase, but any less and it's not worth 500 credits- A reduction in effect and power, I think, at the very least.
  • Abigail said:
    I want to fix Mages, or at least make them more tolerable. No class should require thousands of dollars worth of artifacts just to be somewhat acceptably viable sometimes. Eldreth's argument of "ancient, outdated legacy class that needs a reboot" applies here, as well.
    Dunno why people disagreed with this and its followup, because both are accurate. The only thing these two posts are guilty of doing is not mentioning the fact that it has one kill method which is about as interesting as watching paint dry, yet ridiculously effective against single targets and small groups. (Or large groups if you get a lucky break and avoid getting killed by your own holocausts/allied arcs.)

In the current Age of Tank, even fully artifacted staffcasts aren't a guarantee. The team utility is all but gone in the absence of the hideously overpowered stunstorm and Druid taking over the remaining duties of ranged combat. It's a gimmick class that's down to a single gimmick, when thematically it could and should be pretty awesome. Sadly, it's not the work of classleads to fix it.
  • To keep people from making silly suggestions, adding things that already exist, or explaining something in a way that doesn't make sense - I'm once again offering free Classlead reviews.

So instead of, for example, asking for the anti-lifevision/hypersense skill in Sabotage to do something other than what it was designed to do without adding in a replacement to fill that role, you can look like a pro in front of your friends.
  • Sarrius said:
    Cadeyrn said:
    Repeating my method from last time. Throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks.
    Not precisely conducive to proper class balance.
    Generally the things that I classlead are non-combat or quality of life abilities. I leave fixing the toys to the bigger boys.
  • 31 S Juran           Kainet          Kainet is a critical defense in large gr
    32 S Juran           Kaibanish       KaiBanish offers a unique form of crowd
    33 S Juran           Manausage       Split mind affords the monk approximatel
    34 S Juran           Disembowel      Knights and wardancers possess a conside
    The first three are ones I've promised doing for a while, and the 4th is a recent idea I've had to improve sabreknights and wardancers. I plan to resubmit a variation on the modular consecrate idea for Antimagick that was approved in the last round but never implemented due to late stage design concerns.
  • The sabreknight is not the knight that needs help, though. That's always been the first-tier knight.

• Damage knights have their kill method: damage. Affliction knights without vivisect end up getting damage kills too, but the process is more labored and unnecessarily easy to avoid.
  • I've only submitted one classlead(44). So if any of you start running out of classleads but still have good ideas. Feel free to hit me up and I'll post them for you.

• The goofiest thing about knights is that your raze time increases as your weapon speed decreases as your damage increases. Good luck ever hitting getting to use "dsl" twice in a row as a damage bot.
  • The raze speed thing changed.

My 225 speed sabre and 143 speed claymore both give me a 2.2s raze, and when RSL's a doubleraze, they both clock in at 2.7 seconds.

RSL differs when it's raze/hit, though, with a claymore at 3.87s and the sabre at 2.50s.

• Because RSL has an attack in it, and the damage also scales off the weapon.
  • Yes, I know.

I was just giving all the numbers for the sake of completeness.

• OhmOhm
    edited October 2012

I sound like a broken record.

But mages need either more firepower or more tankiness. I am not opposed to taking away the AoE vibes and having to focus them on individual targets in return or even getting rid of retardation.

Honestly, all we do now is spam staffcast.